United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
I think we will be good to go. We will be a family of 4 in a couple weeks and then we are done. We're both too close to 40 to do this again! Haha

I could've gone either way on the bench vs captains. My wife likes the captains because she thinks it's fancier. This has all been listed but I'm good with captains for the following:

We are a family of 4.
We will have two in booster/child seats for a couple years, and this way someone can actually access the third row.

In reality, the only time we will us the third row is short trips for football games (Go Rebs) if I'm driving us and my parents. No luggage involved and that's maybe 1-2 times a year, max. And then if we have other kids riding with us in town. They can all fit back there fine and get to the third row between the captain seats.

I'm really excited to get this car and it's not even for me to drive. I can't wait.
Not sure how long you plan to keep the car or what your thoughts on carpooling is.

On my previous car, we went with a 5 seater because we're a family of 4 and didn't think we'll ever need more.

Then as the kids got a little older and started to get involved in school activities and sports, the carpooling with other families showed us we needed more seats. That's one of the primary reasons we started shopping for a 7 seater and decided to get an X7.

We've had our X7 a little over 2 years and lost count of the # of times we've had to use all 7 seats to move kids around for various activities. Wouldn't look good on us if we took advantage of the other families and use them to carpool and we never pitch in to drive sometimes.

Every family of 4 that I know (many dozens) have at some point had to get into a 7 or 8 seater (SUV or Minivan) as their kids get a little older and start to participate in all these activities.

So while you may not need more than 5 seats now, there's a good chance you'll need it as your kids get older.
Yeah that's why we went with the X7 (in addition to it just being awesome). I think there will be more and more occasions for my 5 year old son's friends to be riding with us over the next 1-5 years. Kids can get between the captain seats to the third row easily.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 03:13 PM   #178
nkole
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I've had two X7's, a 21 with captains and now a 23 with the bench. I rarely if ever need seven seats. But I do need to carry bulky items which wasn't really possible with the 21. This past weekend I was able to bring home a 65" TV in the box by folding down the second and third rows.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 08:15 PM   #179
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
I read it as he is more worried about the aesthetics of seeing all his cargo more so than the security of it. But maybe I misunderstood.
Correct. I am concerned about aesthetics of me and my passengers more easily seeing my cargo through the captains chairs versus the sight protection (possibly) provided by the bench seat. I am not concerned about security or theft.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 08:17 PM   #180
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
You've gotten some good advice already. I'll add:

1. With the X7's Captain's Chairs there is significantly smaller space between the two of them, it's not like a minivan at all where an adult can use it as a passthrough. Therefore the visibility between them is very low and you and your passengers wouldn't see your stuff in the rear.

2. Regarding the decision of the X7 vs. X5, the most important and versatile option you can put on an SUV is an on-demand bump in seating from 4 to 6 passengers. I mean, is there anything more important on an SUV's options list than the ability to hit a button and 10 seconds later be able to transport 2 additional adults in a true and comfortable 3rd Row? Nope. Even if it's just 3x a year, total of 8 days, it can transform a vacation or enable a quick ride to a restaurant in the city, quickly give a neighbor a ride home, go with two other couple's to dinner, it's invaluable.

So get the X7 and get the Captain's and you'll be extremely pleased.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1304.50
      10-25-2022, 08:25 PM   #181
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd99 View Post
Quote:
I read it as he is more worried about the aesthetics of seeing all his cargo more so than the security of it. But maybe I misunderstood.
Correct. I am concerned about aesthetics of me and my passengers more easily seeing my cargo through the captains chairs versus the sight protection (possibly) provided by the bench seat. I am not concerned about security or theft.
I think it's a valid concern, after about two weeks of owning one with captains seats. You're definitely onto something.

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 12:11 AM   #182
dd_666
Rep
Drives: macan

reviving an old thread but thought the discussion was super useful. one additional question (hope it was not asked somewhere but missed it...) —

With the captains seat and the 3rd row put down, can people see through to things in your trunk? Asking because i live in the bay area... anything exposed in the truck = smashed windows
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 09:36 AM   #183
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd_666 View Post
reviving an old thread but thought the discussion was super useful. one additional question (hope it was not asked somewhere but missed it...) —

With the captains seat and the 3rd row put down, can people see through to things in your trunk? Asking because i live in the bay area... anything exposed in the truck = smashed windows
From the inside, yes you could see through the gap in the captain seats to the rear.

But I’m not sure how it’s any different from the outside.

If you have one of those rolling covers for your cargo area (does the X7 have that available?) and that’s how you cover the view of your cargo, then I don’t think the captain seats would increase risk much. You’d have to look at just the right angle through the windshield or windows to see through a pretty small gap and under the cover. So, in that sense, I don’t think it makes a significant difference.

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 01:13 PM   #184
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
From the inside, yes you could see through the gap in the captain seats to the rear.

But I’m not sure how it’s any different from the outside.

If you have one of those rolling covers for your cargo area (does the X7 have that available?) and that’s how you cover the view of your cargo, then I don’t think the captain seats would increase risk much. You’d have to look at just the right angle through the windshield or windows to see through a pretty small gap and under the cover. So, in that sense, I don’t think it makes a significant difference.
That's a big difference. Someone can see through the gap in the captains chairs that you have something in the cargo area vs with the bench seats they can't see if you have anything in the cargo area.

They may decide to break the windows to get at whatever it is you have in the cargo area if they can see you have something there.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 01:48 PM   #185
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's a big difference. Someone can see through the gap in the captains chairs that you have something in the cargo area vs with the bench seats they can't see if you have anything in the cargo area.

They may decide to break the windows to get at whatever it is you have in the cargo area if they can see you have something there.
I don’t think you understood my post. I can look in the back of a car with or without captains chairs. So do you have something covering the cargo area or not?

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 01:52 PM   #186
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
I don’t think you understood my post. I can look in the back of a car with or without captains chairs. So do you have something covering the cargo area or not?
the standard cargo cover will block the view from the sides, top, and rear.

the bench seatback will block the view from the front

the gap between the captains chairs will allow you to see into the cargo area if the third row is folded down. thats what i think he is trying to say.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 02:08 PM   #187
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The cargo area would be covered with the standard cargo shade.

So the only way to view into the cargo area is between the captains chairs, which if you had a bench, you would not have that opening to view into the cargo area.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 02:24 PM   #188
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The cargo area would be covered with the standard cargo shade.

So the only way to view into the cargo area is between the captains chairs, which if you had a bench, you would not have that opening to view into the cargo area.
Have you seen the actual “opening” between the captains seats? It’s very small. Impractical, really, for getting to the back seat. Even my six year old doesn’t slide through easily.

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 02:44 PM   #189
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Have you seen the actual “opening” between the captains seats? It’s very small. Impractical, really, for getting to the back seat. Even my six year old doesn’t slide through easily.
Yes I have, and it's not for sliding into the back. It's purely to see if anything is in the cargo area. You don't need much room to visually see something is back there.

Once a thief sees something is in the cargo area, they can easily break the back window and get in to take whatever it is that's there.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 03:23 PM   #190
dd_666
Rep
Drives: macan

Quote:
Yes I have, and it's not for sliding into the back. It's purely to see if anything is in the cargo area. You don't need much room to visually see something is back there.

Once a thief sees something is in the cargo area, they can easily break the back window and get in to take whatever it is that's there.
yea this exactly. From my undestanding with the third row up the trunk is very limited, imagine i would be using it with third row down quite often. And its a unfortunate situation as people outside of the bay area / CA / many other parts of the US these days don't understand.

We went to alberta last months and left all of luggage in the backseat fully visibile and it was fine. But man doing that in the bay area is the sure-fire way to get ur window smashed and all ur things stolen. Even when its just groceries...

I worry a gap between the seats is just asking for it. But i wonder if there are ways to prevent it, like a adhoc clothes curtain or sorts between the seats or something...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 04:00 PM   #191
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I live in Memphis, TN. I’m very aware and careful about this exact risk. I promise.

Yes, there is an opening. That is a fact. Yes, if you look hard, you may be able to see there is something there. I don’t think you could make out anything other than a shadow, maybe. And you’d have to basically put your face to the windshield and know to look there. It’s not an obvious thing.

The point of security measures isn’t that you won’t be targeted anyway. It’s to make yourself as inconvenient of a target as possible, relative to those around you.

I hate to say it, but the cargo cover is basically telling the thief “hey I’m hiding something from you”. It’s not fooling people into thinking nothing is there.

Lastly, in my experience (again, I’m in Memphis) most car break ins are crimes of quick opportunity. Bust the glass first and look for stuff to steal after. Not the other way around.

I think any increased visibility with the captains chairs is minimal and likely not a real increase in risk.

Do whatever you want - I would get the bench for other reasons, not security related. And I say that as a guy who has captain seats (wife’s car, not mine).

If cargo security is your hot button and you don’t need the third row, I’d consider the 7 series sedan or a nice crew cab pickup with a locked bed cover.

Lastly, tinted windows will help, as far as making things difficult to see.

Appreciate 2
      07-31-2023, 04:22 PM   #192
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

The bench seats are comfortable and they fold flatter when you do need to carry longer items. I think they're more convenient than the captains chairs. But you've got bigger problems than that... I'd say it's time to move to a safer community. And if that isn't possible, then go get yourself an older, more inconspicuous used sedan and put your valuables in the trunk.
Appreciate 1
NGT25617.50
      07-31-2023, 04:27 PM   #193
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
The bench seats are comfortable and they fold flatter when you do need to carry longer items. I think they're more convenient than the captains chairs. But you've got bigger problems than that... I'd say it's time to move to a safer community. And if that isn't possible, then go get yourself an older, more inconspicuous used sedan and put your valuables in the trunk.
Hard to up and move from “home” and I feel their pain on that. Hard to just relinquish your home to the thugs. Also, not always possible if you own a business.

But I agree on the bench. Folds flat and things can’t slide from the cargo area into the second row. And since you have 5 seats with the 3rd row down, you don’t need the third row as much.

Appreciate 1
      07-31-2023, 04:30 PM   #194
DishoomX2
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, BMW X7 M50i, 911

I have captains seats. If I could have found the same combo of options in a vehicle that had bench seats, I would have gone for that one instead.

The bench seats actually have more leg room. I think there's a video out there that proves it, as well as measurements forum members have taken to compare. In addition, it also seems the seat rails of the captains seat actually extend further out than the bench seat, which impedes on getting in/out of the vehicle. My teenage daughter has complained about it on more than one occasion, that when she sets the captains seat further back to get more leg room, more of the seat rail is exposed. This makes it more difficult getting in/out -- especially when getting in as it becomes a tripping hazard. My dad's X7 with bench seat does not have this problem.

With bench seats, I'd also have the option to fold one side down for additional cargo capacity.

Also, as others with captains seats have mentioned, the cup holders on the floor are dumb and look cheap.
Appreciate 2
NGT25617.50
      08-01-2023, 12:34 PM   #195
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X7 40i PB

Depends what your looking for, I sat in the bench seat when my wife test drove a X7 locally and it felt "meh" while my wife fell in love with it while she drove it. We ended up buying another X7 with captains chairs and my father/mother inlaw rode in it and loved the captains seat and felt like it was more luxurious.

We have a 4/7 y/o so it keeps them happy with a barrier between them but I would say the bench is more functional with it folding flat. If you're hauling things constantly than bench, if you're not than captains for me.
Appreciate 1
NGT25617.50
      08-01-2023, 03:10 PM   #196
swarick
Private
Rep
Drives: x7

I love the Captain seats on my '22 X7. True I can't fit a sheet of plywood from Home Depot in the back. But then again this is not why I purchased this vehicle.
Appreciate 2
jcss812123.00
LeKayz85.50