BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum NOTE FOR NEW BUYERS: Difference between current build and new 4/2023 build

08-27-2022, 05:09 PM   #1
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

NOTE FOR NEW BUYERS: Difference between current build and new 4/2023 build

So, I have noticed that there is a general confusion about the new system “the upcoming BMW Motorway assist short-term, and the personal co-pilot long-term”, and the new service pack equipped in the 7-series sedan and iX, versus the current X7 LCI service pack.

Note that current X7 vehicles produced this year still do NOT have the new hardware and service pack that the 7-series sedan and IX are getting now. The X7 LCI is still coming with the older system as the pre-LCI.

I am posting this to bring awareness, as there has not been much transparency on this side. Unfortunately, the X7s produced this year (Aug 2022-March 2023) are coming with the same same hardware/module for the drive assist feature as te pre-LCI. Even thought it has the new Idrive 8, the current X7 LCI (to date) will not support new features coming from Motorway assist and/or potentially personal co-pilot (only the 7-series and iX is now produced with the NEW service pack, and motor way assist capabilities).

The actual new hardware and the new drive assist, a long with a few more upgrades as part of a the new service pack will be deployed on X7s starting April 2023 in a scheduled refresh*.

This might not be good news for those who already got the X7 and were expected to get the most of the drive assist, as it has a similar hardware / service pack that you would find in the pre-LCI.

Also, during the same month (4/2023), we expect the new X5 LCI to be released, and it will also get the new service pack and a few new modules from day-1.

In summary, if you have NOT ordered your X7 yet, and if you are a fan of autonomous driving, you might want to consider waiting until early 2023 to get the April 2023 build or after with the new SP hardware (and potentially other cosmetic updates + [updates headlights + augmented reality in the driver infotainment screen]).

Also, Thanks for "adamjs83" for providing this formal answer directly from BMW NA , which supports all the above:
"Hi Adam - We should first point out that BMW does not produce vehicles capable of autonomous driving. At this time, the Driver Assistance Professional Package for the new 2023 BMW X7 models does not include Highway Assistant, which will be introduced on the new BMW 7 Series and allows attentive hands-free driving at speeds up to 80 mph under suitable conditions. While we anticipate this feature will be available for order starting in the spring of 2023, it will not be possible or practical to retrofit or upgrade vehicles produced earlier. The system currently available for order in the 2023 BMW X7 allows attentive hands-free driving at speeds up to about 40 mph under suitable conditions." Which is similar to that seen in pre-LCI.

---------------- "SEE BELOW" - TAKEN FOR COMMENTS I POSTED IN THE FUTURE RELATIVE TO THE ORIGINAL DATE OF THIS POST: ------------------

1/25 update: Dealers are now able to place formal order for 2024 XB7. They do not have formal ordering guides with spec's, but should be able to order a formal 2024 XB7 for you that reserves a spot BMW factory que. Note: Fill up of 2024 XB7 are expected to be closed within the next 30 days only!

1/25 update #2: Formal release by bmwgroup:
April X7 updates: Exclusive front-end styling brings heightened visual expression to BMW’s luxury models. Here, the optional BMW crystal headlights Iconic Glow – first introduced on the new BMW 7 Series and also available for the BMW X7 from April 2023 – radiate a particularly vibrant presence. With this headlights option, crystals from Swarovski positioned in the upper section of the lights and backlit by LED units perform the role of sidelights and daytime driving lights. Both when the sun is shining and at night, the crystals reflect the light in a multitude of facets. These headlights team up with the contour lighting for the BMW kidney grille to create a distinctive light signature.
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...23?language=en

1/26 update: #1. Confirming that 5AZ highway assist as well as 3DM crystal headlights now appear on the internal BMW docs for the X7 "screenshot 2nd photo below". No tech/specs/guides were released to dealers yet so don't as ask local dealer yet. 5AZ won't be made available to existing cars #2. Surprise that BMW XB7 for model year 2024 will start production April 1st, 2023. Pending SOP or new tech additions date for X7. Will update as I get more info soon.

1/27 update:
Confirming that X7 will now also get the video AR (Augmented Reality) as part of it's Live Cockpit Pro which was not included in the launch version. Might see that in an upcoming press-release

1/27 update #2: Some magazines and websites are starting to post about the Highway assist coming to X7 now. While they are already 6-months late to when I first posted it, at least for those looking for a 2nd confirmation, it is now confirmed.

2/5 update: BIG NEWS AND NEW ADDITIONS COMING.
  • Ambient Air is back TODAY!. Already can be ordered now in UK, coming soon to US dealers.
  • M Electric Front Sport Seats!!! Just like the X5 M. Available as of today in Europe, coming to US configurator soon. Coming at shocking low price too.
  • XOffroad package is back. See my last post for how it'd look like in the LCI now (TBD SOP date but it tested already).
  • Iconic Glow Crystal Headlights formally added to April production. Likely 1200USD.
  • something is going on with the BMW M (i.e.: X7 M) designation. Not sure if we will see the same designation update like we've seen in the launch year of MY 2019 with X7 50i becoming X7 M50i on 2020, but it's already in place and Germany and UK orders will be getting X7 M. Pending formal confirmation on US Market designation for BMW M with some tuning to justify the change. See photo below for X7 M.

2/8 update:

• BMW X7 MODEL-YEAR 2024 IS SET FOR APRIL 2023 PRODUCTION DATE.
  • No formal announcement yet, but I'll take the blame if this is not accurate "or at least my reputation here will do". If you are about to order, DO NOT unless u r sure yours is allocated for April production. April 2023 production will formally be 2024 build.
  • Price increase is ~$2400 for 40i (will update/confirm final #), and ~$3200 for M60i (will update/confirm final number)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
UPDATE:
Things did not change much from what I shared ~3-4 months ago (except shifting from July to Aug) but here is a revised update based on most recent news:

To summarize:
  • 2024 X7 - August+ build: Will come with MGU5 and ID 8.5 from factory --> Will also support ID9 in the future (if BMW decides to offer it as an OTA)
  • 2024 X7 - April-July build:: compatibility is confirmed as mentioned in the past. BMW will offer a software update for ID 8.5 --> may not support ID9
  • 2023 X7: as indicated nearly a year ago before orders were opened, sorry guys, no changes. this model year (2023 LCI) has been left out from a number of things, starting from the newer service pack, high-way hands-free driving, and now again ID8.5 The vehicle is not even compatible with ID 8.5 or other features.

Here am using MGU5 vs HU5 interchangeably; formally/internally known as (Head Unit High 5)

Attachment 3084509

Last edited by BMW5and7; 09-10-2023 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 5
XB7123.50
PL13.50
alic9613.50
      08-27-2022, 10:33 PM   #2
Brinkley77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cadillac SRX

Garage List
2024   [0.00]
BMW X7  [0.00]
Where is this confirmed at?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 11:13 PM   #3
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkley77 View Post
Ask any of your sales people to share with you their training documents, or ask a service advisor.
Also, check any X7 LCI SP via E-Sys and compare by yourself the module and SP numbers against a pre-LCI vehicle.
Check the “Future BMW model information” thread for any updates on the launch of the Motorway Assist for the X7 (currently planned for 4/2023).
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 11:52 PM   #4
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Ask any of your sales people to share with you their training documents, or ask a service advisor.
Also, check any X7 LCI SP via E-Sys and compare by yourself the module and SP numbers against a pre-LCI vehicle.
Check the "Future BMW model information" thread for any updates on the launch of the Motorway Assist for the X7 (currently planned for 4/2023).
You shouldn't be taking information from dealers… they are most often the worst informed and most prone to making stuff up….

Follow our insiders on the site

"Motorway assistant" is "highway assistant" just translated for USA English (we don't use the term motorway)
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2022, 12:13 AM   #5
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
You shouldn't be taking information from dealers… they are most often the worst informed and most prone to making stuff up….

"Motorway assistant" is "highway assistant" just translated for USA English (we don't use the term motorway)
On the SP topic, I just gave you some suggestions to check it out yourself through your salesman or advisor, not my way of doing it. I suggested esys if you want to check the SP yourself.
And, yes, insiders are the best resource
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 12:29 AM   #6
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:

On the SP topic, I just gave you some suggestions to check it out yourself through your salesman or advisor, not my way of doing it. I suggested esys if you want to check the SP yourself.
And, yes, insiders are the best resource
Welp
I guess we will see in April

If it's just hands free to 80mph then our insiders are right

If it's something significantly more comprehensive then your new source is right
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 12:33 AM   #7
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Welp
I guess we will see in April

If it's just hands free to 80mph then our insiders are right

If it's something significantly more comprehensive then your new source is right
Insider is certainly correct. I haven’t said anything that’s different from his projections. You could refer to “just hands free to 80 mph” as a useless feature, or as a “more comprehensive” upgrade. It is all subjective, both are still the same.
If you have a direct contact with an insider, you might want to consider asking him to explain to you any other differences between the various SPs (assuming you are interested). Just trying to help here. The new drive assist system will be getting continuous upgrades over the years, and in my own opinion, will be far more useful than the current system. There is some confusion around between Motorway assist and Perosnal co-pilot, despite that BMW has not decided on a formal name yet.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 08-28-2022 at 12:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 08:48 AM   #8
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

This seems to be a trend to first year owners as BMW is making the 1st year of the LCI outdated in one year like they did with the 2019 introduction X7/X5 G05/G07.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 09:25 AM   #9
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
This seems to be a trend to first year owners as BMW is making the 1st year of the LCI outdated in one year like they did with the 2019 introduction X7/X5 G05/G07.
Yes with exception that this time the “outdated” elements are hardware related, which is a little more serious this time.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 10:06 AM   #10
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Call me old school, but I could care less if the X7 gets some new hardware pack in April that allows the car to drive itself. I fully intend on driving my new X7 wherever I go. I'm not waiting based off of this information.
Appreciate 3
      08-28-2022, 10:59 AM   #11
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
Call me old school, but I could care less if the X7 gets some new hardware pack in April that allows the car to drive itself. I fully intend on driving my new X7 wherever I go. I'm not waiting based off of this information.
Sure, autonomous driving isn’t for everyone, but I’d say for the majority of people they prefer to have an advanced drive assist.
Other features that will be included in the new service pack are yet to be known, but new iconic laser lights and interior BMW climate perfume is one of those features.
Appreciate 2
      08-28-2022, 11:06 AM   #12
Jrjones4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i, 2023 X7 M60i

Quote:
Yes with exception that this time the “outdated” elements are hardware related, which is a little more serious this time.
I’m not sure about other hardware, but the front sensor in the lower bumper of my 23 LCI is definitely new hardware over my 22 m50i. On the inside, the instrument cluster appears to also have 3 cameras instead of 1 for monitoring the driver (the standard camera in the center and one on left and right). The owners manual doesn’t reference these extra cameras but you can see the infrared sensors show up on video.

In general, the functions of driving assistant professional on the LCI is also more advanced based on my experience than my 22 with allowances for hands free driving over 40 depending on conditions- 48-50 or from what I experienced. Distance following is also different with setting a preference but the car changing it based on current conditions. There are no longer distance adjust buttons on the steering wheel. Assist Plus (traffic jam assistant) now automatically engages once you remove your hands from the wheel. In my 22 I had to press the mode button for it to engage when the car detected it could be used. I suppose all of this could just be iDrive 8 related but it seems to me there is at least some new hardware in there somewhere. Overall it’s an excellent system already IMO- hands free up to 80 would certainly be great though.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 05:12 PM   #13
Setllarboss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrjones4 View Post
I’m not sure about other hardware, but the front sensor in the lower bumper of my 23 LCI is definitely new hardware over my 22 m50i. On the inside, the instrument cluster appears to also have 3 cameras instead of 1 for monitoring the driver (the standard camera in the center and one on left and right). The owners manual doesn’t reference these extra cameras but you can see the infrared sensors show up on video.

In general, the functions of driving assistant professional on the LCI is also more advanced based on my experience than my 22 with allowances for hands free driving over 40 depending on conditions- 48-50 or from what I experienced. Distance following is also different with setting a preference but the car changing it based on current conditions. There are no longer distance adjust buttons on the steering wheel. Assist Plus (traffic jam assistant) now automatically engages once you remove your hands from the wheel. In my 22 I had to press the mode button for it to engage when the car detected it could be used. I suppose all of this could just be iDrive 8 related but it seems to me there is at least some new hardware in there somewhere. Overall it’s an excellent system already IMO- hands free up to 80 would certainly be great though.
How do engage Assist plus by removing hands? I see yellow flash ligths when I remove hands. Do I need to do something different?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 06:16 PM   #14
Icecool
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 40i

well I know a manager personally so I hope we can get an answer to this.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 07:05 PM   #15
Jrjones4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setllarboss View Post
How do engage Assist plus by removing hands? I see yellow flash ligths when I remove hands. Do I need to do something different?
In the 2023, assuming you have driver assist on, once the car detects conditions are suitable for assist plus such as slow traffic or stop and go, assist plus ready will activate in the cluster next to speedometer. Once you remove your hands from wheel, it will activate hands free and the light on steering wheel will illuminate green.
Appreciate 2
      08-28-2022, 07:16 PM   #16
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
In the 2023, assuming you have driver assist on, once the car detects conditions are suitable for assist plus such as slow traffic or stop and go, assist plus ready will activate in the cluster next to speedometer. Once you remove your hands from wheel, it will activate hands free and the light on steering wheel will illuminate green.
Would it also activate on a surface street? I know it doesn't recognize street signals. But...let's say I'm traveling on a lane with lots of cars ahead of me...so when cars stop at a signal...the driver assist will stop too and resume when they do. Am I right?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 09:19 AM   #17
Brinkley77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cadillac SRX

Garage List
2024   [0.00]
BMW X7  [0.00]
Throwing this out there. I asked the question on the autoblog. Look at the whole picture so you can see he answered yes. Take that as you will.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 09:49 AM   #18
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Throwing this out there. I asked the question on the autoblog. Look at the whole picture so you can see he answered yes. Take that as you will.
The way that question was asked opens the chance for some confusion.
The new X7 will get the highway assist upgrades, for sure, just like all other vehicles with idrive 8 today that are running an older SP (i.e.: i4). His answer "yes' is technically true on this part. However, BMW Personal Pilot is a completely different feature and currently only the 7-series sedan and iX are compatible with it.

The specific question should have been, what is the SP that the 2023 X7 is getting now, and what service pack will the 7-series be getting at production (which again, will be the same that the X7 2023 4/2023 and after will be getting).
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 01:50 PM   #19
Setllarboss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750xi

Quote:
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 02:40 PM   #20
Icecool
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
The way that question was asked opens the chance for some confusion.
The new X7 will get the highway assist upgrades, for sure, just like all other vehicles with idrive 8 today that are running an older SP (i.e.: i4). His answer "yes' is technically true on this part. However, BMW Personal Pilot is a completely different feature and currently only the 7-series sedan and iX are compatible with it.

The specific question should have been, what is the SP that the 2023 X7 is getting now, and what service pack will the 7-series be getting at production (which again, will be the same that the X7 2023 4/2023 and after will be getting).
Damn sounds like this personal pilot tech might not even be available till late 23, I guess I'll have to buy another one.
Appreciate 1
braver1.50
      08-29-2022, 05:33 PM   #21
Jrjones4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
Would it also activate on a surface street? I know it doesn't recognize street signals. But...let's say I'm traveling on a lane with lots of cars ahead of me...so when cars stop at a signal...the driver assist will stop too and resume when they do. Am I right?
Yes, correct. I’ve used it that way on city streets no issue. The 23 is better than my 22 at not slamming on the brakes and mor gradually stopping in stop and go. The new personal assistant will actually speak up if you are on a road eligible and in traffic- used it last week during a traffic jam.
Appreciate 2
      08-29-2022, 06:03 PM   #22
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Yes, correct. I’ve used it that way on city streets no issue. The 23 is better than my 22 at not slamming on the brakes and mor gradually stopping in stop and go. The new personal assistant will actually speak up if you are on a road eligible and in traffic- used it last week during a traffic jam.
Thank you so much! That's good to know! A while ago...someone posted that it will only work on stop/go traffic on the freeway! I'm happy to hear that you tried it yourself on city streets.
Appreciate 0