forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Electronic malfunction

10-24-2023, 09:27 PM   #1
dd_666
Rep
Drives: macan

Electronic malfunction

Got my 24 m60i on Saturday, ordered to spec. When it works it's great but holy crap the electronic issues are already pissing me off 3 days into ownership of the car.

As I was driving off the dealers lot, the car would not connect to CarPlay / my iPhone no matter what.

Yesterday the I noticed the main display would not turn on. And had to restart the car for it to turn back on.

Today the car again would not connect to CarPlay in the morning, and in the afternoon after I arrived at home, all the parking cameras would not show up on the main display despite putting the car in reverse, and issue persisted after restarting the car twice, pressing on the hard parking sensor button, and even trying to launch the app from the main menu (it just wouldn't do anything after pressing on the app). In the end I had to get my wife to help me back the car into our garage as it had zero cameras and sensors functioning.

So... is this the norm with these cars? I mean it's essentially a computer (an extremely unreliable one) on wheels with all the digital bells and whistles. Or do I have a lemon of sorts on hand??
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 09:33 PM   #2
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Take it in.

But I’ve given up on CarPlay. Just doesn’t work well with 8.5. Maybe they’ll figure it out. I don’t mind as I like the bmw interface.

My system has been glitchy a few times in a month of ownership. The head unit resets itself automatically. Once heading out for a trip and Nav wouldn’t load. After 10 min of driving the system reset itself and everything worked normally. Another time on the phone and Bluetooth cut in and out a few times, then it reset itself and worked fine. Haven’t had any issue with cameras or sensors.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 09:38 PM   #3
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 750

Mine has been perfect. Likely the dealer didn’t set it up right. There is a bunch of stuff they need to do when they get the car from the factory. Just take it in
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 09:42 PM   #4
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

We have a 2023 M60i for reference.

Had the head unit reset once over the past 12 months of ownership...hasn't happened again.

Carplay has been pretty stable...I only see issues after iOS updates...yesterday it wouldn't connect saying bluetooth version out of date...but today was able to connect again after I added it back manually

Carplay will sometimes disconnect, but usually happens near a hospital with life flight...think it has something to do with the flight radar or comms

I do get drivers assistance deactivated messages alot, but that's not really a glitch. I'm either wearing sunglasses or my hand is blocking the driver camera.

Other than that, it's been a trouble free 19K miles since last Nov.
And before that we had a 2022 M50i for 20K miles with zeros issues.

sorry to hear about your glitches, hopefully it's nothing long term or major.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 09:45 PM   #5
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno View Post
Mine has been perfect. Likely the dealer didn’t set it up right. There is a bunch of stuff they need to do when they get the car from the factory. Just take it in
Yes, this is fact. Sounds weird, but like you said this is software on wheels. If they didn't do something correctly or something got corrupt during the setup, then it could be causing some issues.

Now that I recall, we needed to get our M60i software reloaded to correct something...can't remember what exactly, but dealer said that was the fix action. And it worked.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 06:33 AM   #6
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
I am still on Idrive 8.0. I can't connect my Android phone (S23 Ultra) or the head unit bricks every few days while I am driving. It sounds like 8.5 may be worse. Bad Management Worse needs to get their act together!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 08:04 AM   #7
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd_666 View Post
So... is this the norm with these cars? I mean it's essentially a computer (an extremely unreliable one) on wheels with all the digital bells and whistles. Or do I have a lemon of sorts on hand??
If there was only one computer like my '95 Jeep has (which has never suffered an electronic anomaly), life would be better. There are hundreds of microcontollers and millions of lines of code now responsible for a typical automobile's operation, all which rely on hundreds of sensors and actuators to perform the even most simple tasks. As far as I can ascertain, the only function on my X7 that is not electronic is the mechanical button that opens the center console. Undoubtedly, BMW is working diligently to link opening and closing this compartment to the owners' smartphones, since an icon on an 6" OLED screen is far more intuitive that a mechanical button.

Apparently BMW engineers don't comprehend "failsafe design", and believe rendering a vehicle completely non-operative due to a failed sensor, actuator or microcontroller is an entirely acceptable consequence. Far better to leave a motorist stranded and waiting hours for a tow truck than to allow the vehicle to be driven with some non-critical system non-functional.

Reliability is becoming worse, not better, with each new year's models. I've purchased my last new vehicle.
Appreciate 3
      10-25-2023, 09:04 AM   #8
tatoweb
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
If there was only one computer like my '95 Jeep has (which has never suffered an electronic anomaly), life would be better. There are hundreds of microcontollers and millions of lines of code now responsible for a typical automobile's operation, all which rely on hundreds of sensors and actuators to perform the even most simple tasks. As far as I can ascertain, the only function on my X7 that is not electronic is the mechanical button that opens the center console. Undoubtedly, BMW is working diligently to link opening and closing this compartment to the owners' smartphones, since an icon on an 6" OLED screen is far more intuitive that a mechanical button.

Apparently BMW engineers don't comprehend "failsafe design", and believe rendering a vehicle completely non-operative due to a failed sensor, actuator or microcontroller is an entirely acceptable consequence. Far better to leave a motorist stranded and waiting hours for a tow truck than to allow the vehicle to be driven with some non-critical system non-functional.

Reliability is becoming worse, not better, with each new year's models. I've purchased my last new vehicle.
If brands don’t keep competing for complicated “trendier” or “nicer” electronic features they will end up not selling a single car and bankrupt.

In the eyes of buyers, everybody wants the newest and latest, but that comes with a considerable probability of failing. So brands struggle to balance complication vs. reliability vs. cost to keep them afloat.

Years ago backup cameras or tire pressure monitors were unreliable. Nowadays, these two components are in almost every new car and they don’t fail.
Appreciate 2
      10-25-2023, 10:16 AM   #9
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatoweb View Post
If brands don’t keep competing for complicated “trendier” or “nicer” electronic features they will end up not selling a single car and bankrupt.

In the eyes of buyers, everybody wants the newest and latest, but that comes with a considerable probability of failing. So brands struggle to balance complication vs. reliability vs. cost to keep them afloat.

Years ago backup cameras or tire pressure monitors were unreliable. Nowadays, these two components are in almost every new car and they don’t fail.
IMHO there should be no issue with electronic features being reliable. The complexity of even the most complex electronic vehicle features is not exactly leading edge across the electronics industry. Taking the time to design and properly debug those systems is where the problems lie. I believe some of the Japanese and Korean manufacturers have the formula. As an example, getting a cell phone to properly perform via Bluetooth with a vehicle ain't exactly rocket science!
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      10-25-2023, 11:28 AM   #10
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
IMHO there should be no issue with electronic features being reliable. The complexity of even the most complex electronic vehicle features is not exactly leading edge across the electronics industry. Taking the time to design and properly debug those systems is where the problems lie. I believe some of the Japanese and Korean manufacturers have the formula. As an example, getting a cell phone to properly perform via Bluetooth with a vehicle ain't exactly rocket science!
Assumes good sw. Tesla is a sw company. BMW is decent, getting better. Audi is even worse!

BMW is supporting various iDrive platforms - 7,8,8.5 and soon 9 - seems like a lot to juggle. Also add in the complexity of DAPP and mobile app… the 8.5 instance is clearly not super stable, yet…but I don’t mind putting up with some bugs along as the vehicle drivetrain doesn’t fail. Look at RR- horror stories over there. And our Audi needed a Sw update - required 2 hours at the dealer. Crazy.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 01:51 PM   #11
txbmw007
Rep
Drives: Audi Q5

LCI models had drivetrain issues, electronic gremlins and twin turbo V8 engines are money pits after 50K miles since N63. How did consumers digest give BMW a high reliability rating ?
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50
      10-25-2023, 02:11 PM   #12
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
As an example, getting a cell phone to properly perform via Bluetooth with a vehicle ain't exactly rocket science!
For the wireless CarPlay/Android Auto functionality, Bluetooth only initiates the handshake and then hands it off to WiFi for everything else!

The times my phone doesn't connect to my X3 is when I mistakenly leave VPN enabled on my phone (which may be spoofing another region, etc). For folks with issues, are you making sure VPN is turned off on your phone before connecting?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 07:20 PM   #13
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post
For the wireless CarPlay/Android Auto functionality, Bluetooth only initiates the handshake and then hands it off to WiFi for everything else!

The times my phone doesn't connect to my X3 is when I mistakenly leave VPN enabled on my phone (which may be spoofing another region, etc). For folks with issues, are you making sure VPN is turned off on your phone before connecting?
My VPN is never on.
Appreciate 1
EWL5891.00
      10-25-2023, 09:02 PM   #14
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post

I hear you, but trust me you could never drive your 95 jeep again. Do you even have CDs for the cd changer?

I rented a basic Toyota Corolla and drove it for two days. It was terrible. When I first got in it I thought it was a 2003 but it was a 2023.

Yes the BMW has some glitches, but it usually works and it’s rare, if ever, you get left stranded.

Electronics fail more because they are infinitely more complex than mechanical systems. But at least they don’t wear out!

And the Japanese don’t do it better. My moms Lexus is nothing like the BMW. The OS on it is far inferior than idrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 10:51 PM   #15
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
I hear you, but trust me you could never drive your 95 jeep again. Do you even have CDs for the cd changer?

I rented a basic Toyota Corolla and drove it for two days. It was terrible. When I first got in it I thought it was a 2003 but it was a 2023.

Yes the BMW has some glitches, but it usually works and it’s rare, if ever, you get left stranded.

Electronics fail more because they are infinitely more complex than mechanical systems. But at least they don’t wear out!

And the Japanese don’t do it better. My moms Lexus is nothing like the BMW. The OS on it is far inferior than idrive.
Electronics do, in fact, wear out!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 10:53 PM   #16
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Electronics do, in fact, wear out!
Lol, sort of.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 05:40 AM   #17
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Lol, sort of.
Electronic components do age and fail both naturally and due to defects during manufacturing such as contamination. Higher quality components that receive additional screening such as "Burn-In" and "Delta Test" can help reduce the problem which can cause a component to wear out in days or less.

You may find the following article excerpt informative since it points out the importance relative to the automotive industry:

"While semiconductor aging can affect any application, one market has focused the spotlight on it more than any other. “Automotive is the main driver for considering device aging in design,” "

I hope the above helps in understanding the phenomenon(s).
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 08:13 AM   #18
streborx
Major
Rep

Quote:

There is no debate about it -- my Jeep is the harshest and most uncivilized form of transportation available (think of it as a motorized Conestoga wagon). But it continues to run reliably, parts are OTC at any auto store (not on backorder coming from Germany), and I can do (and have done) any repair on it myself (it's never sat at a dealer for a month while folks stand around scratching their heads). It has endured a hard life, much of it pushing a snowplow in cold winter weather.

But my X7 is a lux ride and not much else measures up.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 03:23 PM   #19
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

I think some of the CarPlay issues are actually Apple issues and not BMW issues. As someone else stated, the issues pop up more often after Apple updates. Also, to the OP, try resetting the iDrive. Hold the power button in for 30 seconds. That sometimes does the trick.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 03:38 PM   #20
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
I think some of the CarPlay issues are actually Apple issues and not BMW issues. As someone else stated, the issues pop up more often after Apple updates. Also, to the OP, try resetting the iDrive. Hold the power button in for 30 seconds. That sometimes does the trick.
Unfortunately, that doesn't solve the problem for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 08:16 AM   #21
streborx
Major
Rep

An interesting article appears in today's WSJ about Toyota's struggles and missteps in evolving as a manufacturer of heavily and increasingly software controlled vehicles.

Several years ago, I collaborated as an independent technical consultant with one of the domestic big 3 automakers to incorporate a new technology into its vehicles. The project was eventually shelved due to the ECU design group's refusal to cooperate with this special projects group, in what amounted to turf war.

That all automakers are experiencing technical problems as automobiles transition from mostly mechanical to mostly electronics and software is hardly surprising. American manufacturers rejected fuel injection technology until EPA requirements left them no choice. Another manufacturer struggled for years to produce (and finally abandoned) interval wipers based on a car's vacuum system despite having been handed a proven electronic design.

Corporate cultures are slow to change but quick to die when the company craters.
Appreciate 0