BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Emergency brake shut down on freeway

10-14-2023, 09:10 AM   #1
Loanmanoh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 24 X7 M40i & 23 Genesis GV80

Emergency brake shut down on freeway

Help! This happened to me twice on the Highway with Highway assist plus on in my 2024 X7. Second time was last night. In the middle lane with cars behind yesterday, the car hits the brakes and wanted to shutdown as it gives me some warning on the dashboard. I wasn’t anywhere close to the car in front of me. Is there a way to disable this safety feature that could get me in an accident? I know there are cameras making sure I am attentive at the wheel but this was not a warning to stay attentive. This was slamming the brakes and wanting to stop the car which was a dangerous situation if the cars behind me didn’t quickly react.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 10:11 AM   #2
Loanmanoh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Furthermore…

So I did more research online since I didn’t remember exactly the message and then I found it online. It is the Emergency Stop Assist and the message was Emergency Shutdown, Call Emergency.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 10:53 AM   #3
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

This sounds like the emergency medical incident intervention.
Was it repeately alerting about attentiveness? If it thinks the driver is incapacitated it will turn on the hazards and come to a stop, on the shoulder if possible and call for assistance
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 11:05 AM   #4
Loanmanoh
Enlisted Member
Rep

No. It just slammed on the brakes. I was in the middle lane so couldn’t pull over. Took control of the car and it stopped but if the car behind me wasn’t quick to react, there could have been an accident. Plan to report it and get the problem checked out. I am sure a log in the car’s computer will let us know why it activated.

I did find the emergency stop toggle to deactivate the function and deactivated it. Suggest everyone proactively considers deactivating emergency stop feature to prevent an accident.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 11:09 AM   #5
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Reports of experiences such as this scare the crap out of me. Other drivers tend to think you're screwing with them and go into road rage mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 04:13 PM   #6
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Ah, there’s a setting for this. It happened to me as well. It’s basically the X7 intervening and stopping the car because it thinks you fell asleep or had a medical incident. Looks like you found it and turned it off.

The way you described it happened the same way to me. The brakes just slammed on…scared the crap out of me.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 05:11 PM   #7
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

That is a undrivable BMW and needs to be towed to the dealership. Absolutely too dangerous to be put back on the road until diagnostics. The liability BMW would occur if they ask you to drive that vehicle to your dealership service center at this point would be unbelievable.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2023, 05:25 PM   #8
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
One thing that is probably a poor design is the camera monitoring driver attentiveness (eyes) during Highway Assist operation in that the steering wheel can be positioned to block or partially block the camera's view. I noticed that when I purchased the X7 during my test drive. I am not sure the wheel is causing the problem, but it is worth a check to be sure the steering wheel isn't blocking the camera's view of your eyes. While unlikely, I would also check that nothing on the dash is blocking the view.

Last edited by rjabend; 10-14-2023 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 01:09 AM   #9
txbmw007
Rep
Drives: Audi Q5

This is the issue where traditional auto manufacturers want to be tech companies but lack engineering depth for complex software development. In this process they are making the vehicles more unsafe and unreliable. I enjoy BMW interiors and driving experiences but their LCI X7 launch far from success when it comes to solid reliable vehicle. For X7s I haven’t come across a post where a X7 has been driven for at least 60K miles and the owner intends to keep it for a long term. Majority of the examples are about vehicles getting exchanged every 2-3 years. Happy to be proven wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 01:41 AM   #10
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 750

Is it possible that something is blocking the sensors in the front? Maybe a license plate? What you’re describing is unusual. These systems have been in place in bmws for almost 10 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 05:51 AM   #11
Loanmanoh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Caveno, not true. This happened to me with the Professional Driving Package active and allowing the car to steer itself on the highway. This only happened to me while this was active both times. This system is brand new for 2024 and allows the car, under certain situations, to steer itself up to 85mph. The emergency stop feature is using the dashboard cameras to see if you are incapacitated.

I went to the dealershipyesterday and plan on having this looked into. The genius told me it should have given me multiple warnings and waited 8 seconds before activating emergency stop. I got no warnings. As stated earlier, you can turn off emergency stop which I did. Unless you feel the need to have this feature on, turn it off if you have the Professional Driving Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 08:49 AM   #12
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

As much as I like all these tech toys in a luxury vehicle, all the “worst case scenario” issues I could think of and was told would never happen is actually happening in real life. I am concerned that the passion for tech is so great these days that it has brainwashed multiple generations to accept the risks over personal responsibility and common sense.
The liability for this kind of tech has to be held to a higher standard as the manufacturer still hides in the shadows of responsibility under blanket liability statements and claiming ignorance when issues are reported.
Appreciate 1
rjabend368.50
      10-15-2023, 08:56 AM   #13
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
As much as I like all these tech toys in a luxury vehicle, all the “worst case scenario” issues I could think of and was told would never happen is actually happening in real life. I am concerned that the passion for tech is so great these days that it was brainwashed multiple generations to accept the risks over personal responsibility and common sense.
Good points! IMHO BMW seems to have some really innovative features laced with DTD faux pas. Jamming on the brakes on a crowded highway is truly scary!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 05:58 PM   #14
Delrazdan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22X540i (ArcGre), 24X760i CBM

In my experience higher the speed, the more frequently it checks for driver awareness. So at 80-85 mph you really can’t look elsewhere and after the warning, with red flashing it will “cripple” …. You need to be aware if u are going to use assist plus
Appreciate 1
rjabend368.50
      10-15-2023, 07:04 PM   #15
Loanmanoh
Enlisted Member
Rep

I was doing 60-65 mph when this happened.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 07:08 PM   #16
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrazdan View Post
In my experience higher the speed, the more frequently it checks for driver awareness. So at 80-85 mph you really can’t look elsewhere and after the warning, with red flashing it will “cripple” …. You need to be aware if u are going to use assist plus
Good information. I wasn't aware of that.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 05:40 AM   #17
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

I drive +85mph for extended periods of time on ACC on road trips and never once have I had a red alert warning. The occasional yellow “keep touching the steering wheel” but nothing more.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 08:57 AM   #18
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
I drive +85mph for extended periods of time on ACC on road trips and never once have I had a red alert warning. The occasional yellow “keep touching the steering wheel” but nothing more.
As I mentioned, once I moved the steering wheel completely out of the camera vision path, I get no warnings unless I look away. The problem is likely associated with the driver's height and seat adjustment. Essentially the same as your experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 07:09 PM   #19
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Quote:
Yeah and you also have the pre-LCI. These guys are talking about the new one with full hands free driving. On the pre-LCI the same exact thing can happen when in ETJA mode under 40mph. I've never had it mistrigger, but it did trigger one occasion when I was looking away too often and for too long.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 07:50 PM   #20
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Someone on the forum posted that Highway Assist will engage automatically when you take your hands off the wheel on an Interstate in the 8.5 update. I hope I am understanding that correctly because it would be very convenient. Now if the BMW Wizards? would just add Automatic Speed Limit Adoption and automatic entry/exit leveling!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 08:42 PM   #21
DefectiveProductLitigator
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X-7

F—k this X-7 and F—k BMW!!

This got-damn X7 (2024 4.0 w/ M Sport) is being sold tomorrow! I have driven nothing but BMWs since 1999…for me and my wife, so until today, I have always loved BMWs. But this f—ing X7 almost got me killed today, so I am done w/ BMW. This was so scary I will never trust a BMW again…ever!

Today I was doing about 70mph on the Interstate, not heavy traffic, but there was an 18 wheeler to my right that I was passing and one behind me, nothing really in front of me.

All of a sudden and with zero warning the entire driver-side dash screen goes black and a BIG RED TRIANGLE with an exclamation point (!) pops up and it says something like (I was trying not to die so I was not spending lots of time reading it) “Vehicle is not driveable!”

I cannot say if it was me panicking with the steering wheel or if this fucking car was turning the wheel, but the computer was pounding the brakes on and off like the car was possessed with some demon spirit. It was making me lurch forward it was hitting the brakes so hard, then it would release the brakes, then do it again. It did this 3-4 times and in doing so slowed me down to about 30 mph or so. Fortunately the 18 wheeler behind me was paying good attention or he would have killed me. Of course he was laying on his horn and my heart was beating out of my chest due to me thinking I was getting ready to die.

This went on for 8 to 10 seconds or so and I tried pulling over on the shoulder so I could figure out what the FUCK just happened. I tried taking a picture of this warning so I could show it to my buddy who is the service manager at my local BMW dealership, but it was gone with no signs or messages that anything had happened.

I am a defective products attorney, so I am very aware of comparative fault and user error. I can assure you, I was not falling asleep (I just came from court), I was not screwing with the radio or any other distraction that could have told this POS vehicle that it needed to take over.

I will say this, however, I bought this thing brand new (68 miles), and the very day I got it home, the A/C compressor would not turn on, the heated and cooled seats features would randomly work or not work and the reverse assist feature would randomly show up on the side screen and sometimes not, and this was from the exact same spot on my driveway so it was not like it was in some strange area.

Dealer assured me these were all “user errors” in that I just did not know how to work a BMW. (F him! I was a computer science major in college and have driven BMWs exclusively for 25 years!)

I have had this POS for about two months and about two weeks ago, Apple Car Play stopped working/connecting. Then two days later it would magically start working for a day or so, and now it is back not working at all.

IMHO, this near-death disaster is from this vehicle being a lemon combined with BMW putting out technology that has not been anywhere near tested enough to put out on the market.

I am so pissed off (and sad) right now as I have LOVED all my BMWs for a quarter century. But this thing nearly killed me today and that is a fault that cannot be forgiven….ever. There are no second chances with bullshit like this.

I am DONE with BMW!!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 08:55 PM   #22
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
I am sorry to hear of your plight, partly because of the grief you have endured and partly because I am starting to become fearful myself. I am hoping that your experience is a "one of a kind" but I am not sure that is the case. I wish you the best in resolving the matter.
Appreciate 0