forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Rear Axle Shaft Leak - 23 X7 40i

10-17-2023, 02:25 PM   #1
Tay161
Rep
Drives: X7 2023 (ordered)

Rear Axle Shaft Leak - 23 X7 40i

I took the 23 x7 40i in for service (10,432 miles) because I was noticing some noise from the front. It sounded like a buffeting noise at low speeds. The tech said it was the lower control arms and they are being replaced. I'm skeptical that was the noise but I’ll see when I get it back. They also told me the rear axle shaft was leaking and it’s a gash in the axle boot. How easy are those axle boots to damage is it necessary to replace the entire rear axle shaft or can just the boot be replaced? Of course he said the axle is not covered under warranty because it’s some type of driving damage.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 03:59 PM   #2
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Lexus covered the boot under warranty. That’s BS that they wouldn’t cover it. You can replace just the boot if debris hasn’t damaged the internals. However, for one to go out in 10k miles is suss.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 09:29 AM   #3
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay161 View Post
I took the 23 x7 40i in for service (10,432 miles) because I was noticing some noise from the front. It sounded like a buffeting noise at low speeds. The tech said it was the lower control arms and they are being replaced. I'm skeptical that was the noise but I’ll see when I get it back. They also told me the rear axle shaft was leaking and it’s a gash in the axle boot. How easy are those axle boots to damage is it necessary to replace the entire rear axle shaft or can just the boot be replaced? Of course he said the axle is not covered under warranty because it’s some type of driving damage.
I think I’m getting the same issue with the front. Kinda like the left front wheel or suspension is making slight buffeting noise over small bumps. Goes away at high speed. Only hear it when driving under 25-30mph.

Let me know if the LCA replacement fixes that.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 09:33 PM   #4
Tay161
Rep
Drives: X7 2023 (ordered)

I finally got it back and the noise that I was hearing upfront is definitely gone. I worry though about the reliability and robustness of the vehicle. If it already needs new control arms up front, I’m worried what else is going to start failing within the next few years while it’s still new and especially after the factory warranty is over. It’s time to start pricing extended warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 05:41 AM   #5
jdloyd01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 xDrive40i

Generally speaking, the boots can be replaced, but it takes a lot of labor and skill to get it right. Depending on how the BMW shaft is made, it could even take special tools not found at a dealership. Most mechanics will just buy a new shaft (for any car).

I'm not surprised they wouldn't cover it under warranty. Maybe they were worried BMW corporate would reject their claim?
Appreciate 0