BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Transferring Music Collection

05-28-2019, 10:17 PM   #1
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85, G30

Transferring Music Collection

Has anyone been able to transfer their Music Collection from another BMW to the Bowers & Wilkens audio system in the X7? I downloaded the onto a thumb drive and I'm able to transfer to another BMW, but the B&W doesn't recognize any audio files on the thumb drive?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
MarkH62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, 750Li

I was able to transfer part of my collection, but it took several attempts. I copied mine to an external hard drive. The transfer was going slowly, so I walked away for a while. When I came back, it said 100%, but only about half the files actually made it. I think there may be a either a limit on the number of files, or a folder naming restriction (none of the files in folders that started with an "_" were transferred, but those were not the only ones missing). I was going to retry again (with renamed folders), but work is interfering with my play time at the moment.
Appreciate 1
Bogey4me152.00
      06-02-2019, 05:48 PM   #3
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85, G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH62 View Post
I was able to transfer part of my collection, but it took several attempts. I copied mine to an external hard drive. The transfer was going slowly, so I walked away for a while. When I came back, it said 100%, but only about half the files actually made it. I think there may be a either a limit on the number of files, or a folder naming restriction (none of the files in folders that started with an "_" were transferred, but those were not the only ones missing). I was going to retry again (with renamed folders), but work is interfering with my play time at the moment.
A friend told me about Tidal. It's like Spotify, but offers lossless master quality. We have the Bowers & Wilkins and I listed to the extract same song on Spotify and Tidal for about 10 different songs and it's incredible the detail that is missing. I'm guessing the B&W is picking up more of the subtle details than some other stereos? It sounds as good or better than my music collection did from the hard drive. You can try a one month subscription and see if you like it. It's a little more than Spotify.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #4
MarkH62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, 750Li

I finally got a chance to transfer the rest of my collection. I'm still not sure if renaming was necessary, or if it was just a reduced number of files in the source folder hierarchy.

I have looked into Tidal, but haven't convinced myself to make the switch to streaming yet. I guess I'm just old school and prefer to have a physical copy of my favorite music. Plus I don't have to worry about losing connections when driving through areas with spotty service (like much of west Texas and New Mexico).

I agree about the B&W system in the X7. It's one of the best in-car systems I've heard, and I've tried most of them. It's second only to the Burrmeister in the Mercedes (though I've heard the Rolls Royce is even better, not likely I'll have a chance to audition that one).
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
Campinguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, Shelby GT350, Ford GT

With Tidal or Spotify you can download on to your phone any songs or albums you like and you will enjoy listening to your favorite tunes anywhere you travel! Including Tidal Master recordings that are clearly superior than any Spotify music.
Appreciate 1
Bogey4me152.00