forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum CarPlay and my X7 Don’t Play Nice

05-23-2019, 06:57 AM   #89
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

I don't even have my X7 yet and I know the issues that CarPlay can have. I have had two other cars with CarPlay (wired) and both had issues. It's not just BMW. I have used specifically Apple products for 15+ years and they have always had issues, all Tech companies do at some point. And some of it can be developers as well, depending on the apps you use. I use Tidal for music and it doesn't work nearly as well as Apple Music in my car but Tidal is way better at home. Just depends. I personally can't wait for wireless CarPlay!!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #90
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
I don't even have my X7 yet and I know the issues that CarPlay can have. I have had two other cars with CarPlay (wired) and both had issues. It's not just BMW. I have used specifically Apple products for 15+ years and they have always had issues, all Tech companies do at some point. And some of it can be developers as well, depending on the apps you use. I use Tidal for music and it doesn't work nearly as well as Apple Music in my car but Tidal is way better at home. Just depends. I personally can't wait for wireless CarPlay!!
Good point. I have also been anxiously awaiting wireless CarPlay and have wanted it for several years. It is unfortunate that so many owners are experiencing problems using CarPlay wirelessly but since iOS 12.3 it has been working perfectly for me. I can't explain why but it is. Hopefully when you get your X7 it will work well for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #91
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Has anybody had troubles with a phone repeatedly being “forgotten” or missing from the ”Known Devices” list.

I have the usual failure to connect and unexpected disconnections, but by far the most frustrating is when your phone goes missing from the device list entirely!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 12:53 PM   #92
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann33 View Post
Has anybody had troubles with a phone repeatedly being “forgotten” or missing from the ”Known Devices” list.

I have the usual failure to connect and unexpected disconnections, but by far the most frustrating is when your phone goes missing from the device list entirely!
I've not experienced that issue (so far). That's an issue I would report to your Genius.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #93
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
You said "Apple is supposed to adapt iOS to meet the needs of BMW". I never said Apple is "supposed" to do anything. CarPlay is their product and BMW may be the largest supporter of "Wireless CarPlay" of any manufacturer so one could logically conclude that Apple would want to help BMW if they are fighting issues that may be caused by iOS. Point of fact, Apple Pay was popping up every time you would place your iPhone on the charging pad. Apple released iOS 12.2 and that issue is gone. Was that by accident? Did BMW report this issue to Apple and they addressed it? I don't know but the issue is in fact gone and Apple (not BMW) fixed it. I'm simply pointing out that the connection issues could also require an Apple fix (not BMW). I don't personally see the point in laying the entire issue at BMW's feet when iOS could be part of the problem. You can disagree but there's no need to be sarcastic or belittle my posts. I'm just posting my opinions and I never once belittled your posts.

Relax ppagiga and enjoy the forum.
Apple Pay still an issue on x5. That vehicle is 6 months old.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #94
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
You said "Apple is supposed to adapt iOS to meet the needs of BMW". I never said Apple is "supposed" to do anything. CarPlay is their product and BMW may be the largest supporter of "Wireless CarPlay" of any manufacturer so one could logically conclude that Apple would want to help BMW if they are fighting issues that may be caused by iOS. Point of fact, Apple Pay was popping up every time you would place your iPhone on the charging pad. Apple released iOS 12.2 and that issue is gone. Was that by accident? Did BMW report this issue to Apple and they addressed it? I don't know but the issue is in fact gone and Apple (not BMW) fixed it. I'm simply pointing out that the connection issues could also require an Apple fix (not BMW). I don't personally see the point in laying the entire issue at BMW's feet when iOS could be part of the problem. You can disagree but there's no need to be sarcastic or belittle my posts. I'm just posting my opinions and I never once belittled your posts.

Relax ppagiga and enjoy the forum.
Apple Pay still an issue on x5. That vehicle is 6 months old.
@ppagiga

Why do you keep trying to start arguments? This is the x7 forum. If you want to discuss the X5 problems go to that forum. If you have questions or issues let's try to help but seems like you just want to cause problems.

I just got a 530i loaner and carplay works awesome. It took me less than 3 mins to hook up my phone and I've had it all day. Not one problem.

Let it go man.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:32 PM   #95
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
@ppagiga

Why do you keep trying to start arguments? This is the x7 forum. If you want to discuss the X5 problems go to that forum. If you have questions or issues let's try to help but seems like you just want to cause problems.

I just got a 530i loaner and carplay works awesome. It took me less than 3 mins to hook up my phone and I've had it all day. Not one problem.

Let it go man.
X5 is a data point for you, not me. For 6 months folks like yourselves have been making threads like these. It’s fixed! It’s not fixed. Etc.

Apple Pay is no issue to me, doesn’t bother me at all. Nor does CarPlay connectivity. Etc. 100% satisfied with both vehicles. That stuff bothers me only in the sense that BMW owes people like you better. People that value a trouble free experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:48 PM   #96
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
X5 is a data point for you, not me. For 6 months folks like yourselves have been making threads like these. It’s fixed! It’s not fixed. Etc.

Apple Pay is no issue to me, doesn’t bother me at all. Nor does CarPlay connectivity. Etc. 100% satisfied with both vehicles. That stuff bothers me only in the sense that BMW owes people like you better. People that value a trouble free experience.
Now THAT is very well said! I have the same feelings about the Over The Air (OTA) software delivery promise. They just copied Tesla's style but never delivered anything through it yet. I am losing confidence in the brand now!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 09:01 PM   #97
azny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7; 2020 BMW X5

I haven’t been able to make it work consistently and I think I’m going to give up on it. Main reason is that it seems they’ve made it a pretty binary choice - either iDrive or CarPlay and if you switch between the two it’s difficult to go back to CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #98
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Just picked up my X7 the other day. When we picked it up, had no issues connecting both our phones to the system. Today, the X7 will not recognize anything. The system says it can’t connect to any device.

I deleted both phones and tried to set up a new device and same error.

Restarted my phone and same error

I’m currently letting the vehicle reset by locking it and walking away for 15 mins

Anyone else have an issue trying to connect to BT?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #99
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

So I pressed the radio power button for 30 seconds and it rebooted the idrive system and now it’s working.

Weird
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 09:47 PM   #100
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep

Must have been in the air. Mine mobile devices were screwed up too. It show connected to a phone that was off. Would not all disconnect or delete or add a phone.

Locking the car for hours did nothing. I too finally held the volume button down for like 30 sec to reset and that worked.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 12:13 AM   #101
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Must have been in the air. Mine mobile devices were screwed up too. It show connected to a phone that was off. Would not all disconnect or delete or add a phone.

Locking the car for hours did nothing. I too finally held the volume button down for like 30 sec to reset and that worked.
I think that there was some type of update done per my dash. Maybe that killed it. Mine did the same thing before what I posted. I couldn’t connect to the device that was listed but I could delete.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #102
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have had one issue and it was yesterday. My phone was connected but CarPlay wouldn't work. Restarted my phone, didn't help. Restarted the car and it worked just fine. I know Apple has always had issues with bluetooth. It's never been their strong suit. It would be nice if CarPlay worked both wired and wireless. Would probably end up having better reliability that way, not sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 08:27 PM   #103
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

While that gave me some control back I deleted my wife's phone (that had been showing connected) and when to bed. Worth noting is that my phone was missing before AND after the reset from the known devices list. hmm..

This morning I started the car and my wife's phone was not showing (I deleted it the night before) and mine was still missing. I tried to conntect my wife's phone and it would connect, but not in carplay. I tried for 15 minutest, but It could not support carplay....only the bmw connect or whatevery they call it (bluetooth). I had to leave so I dropped it.

My wife got in about 40 mins later and her phone connected automatically in carplay??E?E? and my phone showed up again in the know devices list AFTER being missing for 2 days.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #104
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Just picked up my X7 the other day. When we picked it up, had no issues connecting both our phones to the system. Today, the X7 will not recognize anything. The system says it can’t connect to any device.

I deleted both phones and tried to set up a new device and same error.

Restarted my phone and same error

I’m currently letting the vehicle reset by locking it and walking away for 15 mins

Anyone else have an issue trying to connect to BT?
EVERY BODY else has the problem with x7 and CarPlay.
I gave up trying and I gave up calling bmw.
It's not iPhone or CarPlay. It's the problem with x7 I drive system.
My phone and CarPlay work nicely on my m5
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1239.00
      06-18-2019, 09:32 AM   #105
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaffari46 View Post
EVERY BODY else has the problem with x7 and CarPlay.
I gave up trying and I gave up calling bmw.
It's not iPhone or CarPlay. It's the problem with x7 I drive system.
My phone and CarPlay work nicely on my m5
Same here. CarPlay works flawlessly with my 2017 4 Series. My X7, a nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 09:33 AM   #106
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

When posting issues with CarPlay and/or your iPhone not connecting please include what version of iDrive is installed and what version of iOS you are using.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 04:10 PM   #107
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 m850 Convertible

Trying to ascertain rhyme or reason with my CarPlay glitches. For me, when the glitch occurs, the car either keeps trying to reconnect to the phone but never does, or, in a variation of the glitch, it connects but can only play music local on the phone - Siri, For You, and Sirius XM cannot access the Internet, and the phone itself can no longer browse, check email, or message
What works for me is a phone restart - then it connects.

The condition that may cause it is if I'm entering the car while still connected to a known/"normal" wifi access point (ie leaving my house and going to the garage). It appears to be with 100% certainty that I will experience the glitch as described, as thought the phone is not handing off correctly from the existing wifi point to the car wifi.

When I'm out and about, and approach the car, I'm pretty much only on cellular - in these situations, the iPhone picks up the BMW wifi and CarPlay seems to work without a hitch.

I still will experiment more, like joining a Dunkin or Starbucks wifi where I'm able to park very close (to mimic the scenario when at home) to see if the issue replicates.

So not conclusive as I'd need to test quite a bit more, but there is some sense of consistency for me with this behavior.

I'm running iOS 13 developer beta 3; not sure of my iDrive version - where is this located? (and what is the latest version so I can look into that also?)

Last edited by Thrangster; 07-15-2019 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:44 PM   #108
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

My wife is just furious with CarPlay, her iPhone X just refuses to connect when she leaves the driveway, she called me just fuming and demanding I give her back that cheap vent clip mount that I swore to her she'd never need to use again just so she can get Google Maps to help her get where she needs to go.

I cannot believe BMW continues to let this situation fester especially in light of their moronic decision to not allow CarPlay to work in a wired USB fashion. Just dumbfounding. And we're expected to pay $80 a year for this?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #109
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

It appears for 2020 Apple CarPlay no longer requires a 1 Year
Trial, 6CP Apple CarPlay Compatibility

And, ZEB Enhanced USB & Bluetooth was added for 2020.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 10:18 PM   #110
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

I feel for those X7 owners still having connection issues. I'm using iOS 13 Public Beta 2 and my iPhone XS Max reconnects every time. iOS 12.3 would reconnect most of the time but not always so Apple has done something different in iOS 13 PB 2 that has helped. You guys running the Developer Beta might consider joining the Public Beta as a test.
Appreciate 0