BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum CarPlay and my X7 Don’t Play Nice

05-17-2019, 07:43 AM   #67
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Pretty absurd we are talking about this in 2019 instead of, you know, BMW Group resolving it
iPhone and BMW Bluetooth compatibility has been a problem in every BMW ever released going back to 2007.

You would think as two of the biggest tech brands in the world and with both companies filled with people using each others products that this wouldn't be happening anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 08:15 AM   #68
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
If you are still having connection issues after updating to iOS 12.3, please post the following so we can possible narrow down why this is happening for some but not others:

1. Do you own the 40i or 50i?
2. What is your iDrive software version?
3. Which iPhone model are you using?
4. Do you have more than one iPhone/CarPlay device configured? If so, how many devices?
I am now 16 for 16 the last 3 days since updating to 12.3. Connects immediately, rock solid once connected, as reliable as my 4 Series now.

40i
iDrive (took delivery 3 weeks ago, is that current?)
iPhone X
Yes, 2, my wife’s iPhone X as well.
Todd, does your wife also use CarPlay with her profile?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 08:30 AM   #69
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Todd, does your wife also use CarPlay with her profile?

Yes. Since Day 1 I paired her phone to the X7 along with mine using separate keys (isn't her green ring cute?) both running the same iOS and both set up for CarPlay to each of our BMW profiles.

Before this week and the new iOS update, a lot of the misconnections required me to go into Phone > Devices and choose one or the other. Now with the update it finds my phone and locks on right away.

I have not yet tested what happens when both of us are in the car at the same time with Bluetooth 'on' nor do I have anything to report on her phone's success with iOS 12.3 as she's been traveling and not driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #70
Tattooed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, G12, G30, F30

This morning CarPlay would not connect. In fact a call came in while driving and it was on the phone only, not through the car. However, when I selected "connection mode...BMW iDrive" vs CarPlay....it connected right away. Stopped at Starbucks and when I got back in phone was still connected via BMW iDrive. I selected CarPlay and it connected.

X750i
iDrive 03/2019.45 (updated by dealer on Monday)
iPhone Xs
iOS 12.3

Under "known devices"
2 BMW Bluetooth headphones
2 iPads
1 Apple Watch
Wife's iPhone Xs
(I'm assuming some are due to previous connections to the Wi-Fi hotspot)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #71
Tattooed
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you are still having connection issues after updating to iOS 12.3, please post the following so we can possible narrow down why this is happening for some but not others:

1. Do you own the 40i or 50i?
2. What is your iDrive software version?
3. Which iPhone model are you using?
4. Do you have more than one iPhone/CarPlay device configured? If so, how many devices?
I am now 16 for 16 the last 3 days since updating to 12.3. Connects immediately, rock solid once connected, as reliable as my 4 Series now.

40i
iDrive (took delivery 3 weeks ago, is that current?)
iPhone X
Yes, 2, my wife's iPhone X as well.
I took delivery April 9th and it came with 11/2018. You figure they'd put the "current" version in...at that time. Who knows what tweeks are done between your build time and delivery time or what version the factory is installing.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 04:28 PM   #72
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Well, you knew it was too good to last.

After going 16-for-16 on CarPlay / iPhone X trip connections, boom, it's back to the dark ages. Slowly but surely I'm degraded back to the 50/50 zone. Either won't connect as I drive off or disconnects after a few minutes of driving.

Meanwhile, my 4 Series has been rock solid on CarPlay for 18 months. Ridiculous that the X7 suffers like this.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 04:41 PM   #73
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Well, you knew it was too good to last.

After going 16-for-16 on CarPlay / iPhone X trip connections, boom, it's back to the dark ages. Slowly but surely I'm degraded back to the 50/50 zone. Either won't connect as I drive off or disconnects after a few minutes of driving.

Meanwhile, my 4 Series has been rock solid on CarPlay for 18 months. Ridiculous that the X7 suffers like this.
Sorry to hear that. I'm still batting 1,000.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 05:02 PM   #74
mcdbirdman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7

My CarPlay issues are still there. Wife’s iPhone 7 is rock solid and continually connects when we are both in the car using my profile even though I have set the priority to use my iPhone Xs. I have to turn CarPlay on then off on my phone itself to get it to connect.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 06:30 PM   #75
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdbirdman View Post
My CarPlay issues are still there. Wife’s iPhone 7 is rock solid and continually connects when we are both in the car using my profile even though I have set the priority to use my iPhone Xs. I have to turn CarPlay on then off on my phone itself to get it to connect.
That is interesting. There is something not completely sync'd up between iDrive 7 and the latest iPhones. My gut tells me BMW's programmers are communicating with Apple on these iDrive 7 connections issues and it will take both parties to completely resolve them. That said, I think the iPhone handles the reconnection, not the other way around so BMW may still be at Apple's mercy until a complete fix is available that resolves this for all. Since 12.3 I'm pretty happy but the wheels could still come off.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 01:12 AM   #76
Tattooed
Private
United_States
Rep

I started today's road trip with CarPlay working, made a pit stop, and lost CarPlay. I tried reconnecting the phone through iDrive but it didn't work 2 out of the 3 times I tried.

After a couple more stops, and CarPlay still not connecting, I tried turning off Bluetooth and WiFi on my phone. Right after turning them both off, I turned them back on....and CarPlay connected...so far 2 out of 2 times.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 05:28 AM   #77
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed View Post
I started today's road trip with CarPlay working, made a pit stop, and lost CarPlay. I tried reconnecting the phone through iDrive but it didn't work 2 out of the 3 times I tried.

After a couple more stops, and CarPlay still not connecting, I tried turning off Bluetooth and WiFi on my phone. Right after turning them both off, I turned them back on....and CarPlay connected...so far 2 out of 2 times.
Based on your experience (and other similar experiences) I still believe this may be an iPhone issue, at least with some models of iPhone.

As a tip simply enable and then disable "Airplane mode" if your phone is not reconnecting to iDrive. This effectively does the same thing as you did manually, turning off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth momentarily.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 07:03 AM   #78
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

anyone still have problems and trying to figure out a fix here (myself included) is a glutton for punishment.

do one of two things:

drop it off at the dealer and don't pick it up til they know what's wrong and guarantee resolution

wait til bmw's development team makes it to the bigs and solves this for us
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 07:53 AM   #79
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
anyone still have problems and trying to figure out a fix here (myself included) is a glutton for punishment.

do one of two things:

drop it off at the dealer and don't pick it up til they know what's wrong and guarantee resolution

wait til bmw's development team makes it to the bigs and solves this for us
I get you're frustrated but dropping off your X7 until they fix an iPhone connection issue? If the issue was BMW's iDrive system then it wouldn't be working for me. I still think the reconnection issues some are still experiencing is an iPhone problem that only Apple will be able to resolve.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #80
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed View Post

Yes, flipping your iPhone into airplane mode, counting to three, and flipping airplane mode off is the way to reconnect the fastest once the disconnect occurs.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #81
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I get you're frustrated but dropping off your X7 until they fix an iPhone connection issue? If the issue was BMW's iDrive system then it wouldn't be working for me. I still think the reconnection issues some are still experiencing is an iPhone problem that only Apple will be able to resolve.
It is a BMW problem.

This has been going on for almost 10 years and every BMW I have ever owned. BMW issues a new version of iDrive and it breaks Bluetooth. It is gotten to the point where I don’t update any of my cars with new BMW iDrive firmware once I get a Bluetooth connection that is reliable. My X5 went 3 years without an update, my 4 Series sits at 2. When I bring my car in for service I insist that they do not update my iDrive firmware under any circumstances, I even speak to the service manager to make sure they understand clearly.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #82
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
It is a BMW problem.

This has been going on for almost 10 years and every BMW I have ever owned. BMW issues a new version of iDrive and it breaks Bluetooth. It is gotten to the point where I don’t update any of my cars with new BMW iDrive firmware once I get a Bluetooth connection that is reliable. My X5 went 3 years without an update, my 4 Series sits at 2. When I bring my car in for service I insist that they do not update my iDrive firmware under any circumstances, I even speak to the service manager to make sure they understand clearly.
How can you be sure? And if it's iDrive, why does the Airplane Mode on/off work?

I have a friend who owns a MDX and the same thing is happening to him. He also recycles Airplane Mode to get his Bluetooth to reconnect. And why did 12.3 fix it for me? All points to iOS or your specific model of iPhone IMO.

As for keeping the same version of iDrive that came with your vehicle, how do know that version isn't the problem? I get that BMW sold us a car that has connection issues but we're all guessing as to who is the blame (even me). I'm just pointing out that logically (for me), this appears to be an iOS and/or an iPhone model issue. For now, I'm good and BMW hasn't updated my iDrive version - still at 11/2018.55. iOS 12.2 fixed the Apple Pay pop up issue and 12.3 the reconnection issue (for me anyway). iOS 12.4 is already in BETA and should be release in a few months.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #83
Louisiana1927
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7, 2019 X5

Same Frustrating Issue

Our family have recently purchased both a 2019 X5 and X7. Great cars to drive, but the iOS/Bluetooth/Car Play interface is maddening. As a new BMW customer, I find it somewhat stunning that they allow this issue to persist. I have spent hours on the phone with BMW, have set and reset and erased and disconnected and reconnected, etc. Still, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and when it does it will sometimes just stop and when it doesn't it will sometimes just start. It's an embarrassment to the brand.

This is very basic functionality. And it is clearly to me soley a BMW issue. My iOS connects just fine with a 2017 GMC Yukon and basically all the rental cars I ever get. The dealership is no great help as it is a software development problem.

I have almost $200K tied up in two BMWs that can't stream a song from the most common phone of BMW owners. This is just a complete failure of some very basic development requirements. Shame on you BMW. If I could return the cars, I would.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #84
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisiana1927 View Post
Our family have recently purchased both a 2019 X5 and X7. Great cars to drive, but the iOS/Bluetooth/Car Play interface is maddening. As a new BMW customer, I find it somewhat stunning that they allow this issue to persist. I have spent hours on the phone with BMW, have set and reset and erased and disconnected and reconnected, etc. Still, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and when it does it will sometimes just stop and when it doesn't it will sometimes just start. It's an embarrassment to the brand.

This is very basic functionality. And it is clearly to me soley a BMW issue. My iOS connects just fine with a 2017 GMC Yukon and basically all the rental cars I ever get. The dealership is no great help as it is a software development problem.

I have almost $200K tied up in two BMWs that can't stream a song from the most common phone of BMW owners. This is just a complete failure of some very basic development requirements. Shame on you BMW. If I could return the cars, I would.
Sorry to hear you're having problems but to be fair your 2017 GMC Yukon and those rental cars do not offer 'Wireless CarPlay' which uses both WiFi and Bluetooth. I've stated several times on this thread that I personally feel this is an iOS/iPhone problem and until Apple releases an update that patches these issues, they will persist. BMW support can't simply say it's Apple fault so they are trying to help. And I would think it's a safe bet their programmers are working on these issue to try and resolve them internally without Apple's help but that may be impossible. I admit this is all guesswork on my part but if it's iDrive 7 then I should be having the same issues and CarPlay has been working fine for me since the release of iOS 12.3 last week.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #85
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear you're having problems but to be fair your 2017 GMC Yukon and those rental cars do not offer 'Wireless CarPlay' which uses both WiFi and Bluetooth. I've stated several times on this thread that I personally feel this is an iOS/iPhone problem and until Apple releases an update that patches these issues, they will persist. BMW support can't simply say it's Apple fault so they are trying to help. And I would think it's a safe bet their programmers are working on these issue to try and resolve them internally without Apple's help but that may be impossible. I admit this is all guesswork on my part but if it's iDrive 7 then I should be having the same issues and CarPlay has been working fine for me since the release of iOS 12.3 last week.
sooooo.... there is 190mm iPhones in use in the US, and about 50k x5 and x7s floating around out there, and Apple is supposed to adapt iOS to meet the needs of BMW?

sorry but this is 100% BMW. kidding ourselves if we think otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #86
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
sooooo.... there is 190mm iPhones in use in the US, and about 50k x5 and x7s floating around out there, and Apple is supposed to adapt iOS to meet the needs of BMW?

sorry but this is 100% BMW. kidding ourselves if we think otherwise.
I never said or implied Apple needed to do anything to help BMW, you're the one saying that. I'm simply pointing out the logic of the issues. Believe what you want to believe.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 05:01 AM   #87
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
I never said or implied Apple needed to do anything to help BMW, you're the one saying that. I'm simply pointing out the logic of the issues. Believe what you want to believe.
Aside from the dozen or so comments that it’s on Apple, not BMW, yes, you have not put this on Apple, not BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 06:45 AM   #88
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

You said "Apple is supposed to adapt iOS to meet the needs of BMW". I never said Apple is "supposed" to do anything. CarPlay is their product and BMW may be the largest supporter of "Wireless CarPlay" of any manufacturer so one could logically conclude that Apple would want to help BMW if they are fighting issues that may be caused by iOS. Point of fact, Apple Pay was popping up every time you would place your iPhone on the charging pad. Apple released iOS 12.2 and that issue is gone. Was that by accident? Did BMW report this issue to Apple and they addressed it? I don't know but the issue is in fact gone and Apple (not BMW) fixed it. I'm simply pointing out that the connection issues could also require an Apple fix (not BMW). I don't personally see the point in laying the entire issue at BMW's feet when iOS could be part of the problem. You can disagree but there's no need to be sarcastic or belittle my posts. I'm just posting my opinions and I never once belittled your posts.

Relax ppagiga and enjoy the forum.
Appreciate 2