BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Bowers & Wilkins Sound System

06-07-2019, 11:11 PM   #1
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85, G30

Bowers & Wilkins Sound System

Am I the only one that can sit in the X7, parked in the garage and listen to the B&W sound system for an hour? I downloaded TIDAL which has lossless sound quality and a ton of Master quality albums. This is the most amazing sound system I've ever heard. Definitely better than the Bang & Olufson I had in my 2017 X5M.
Appreciate 4
MarkH6221.50
espho169.00
      06-08-2019, 01:17 AM   #2
Ken750iX7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 750i X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey4me View Post
Am I the only one that can sit in the X7, parked in the garage and listen to the B&W sound system for an hour? I downloaded TIDAL which has lossless sound quality and a ton of Master quality albums. This is the most amazing sound system I've ever heard. Definitely better than the Bang & Olufson I had in my 2017 X5M.
Good choice with B&W, it sound better than Harman Kardon.

Need to break in for couple of months before get the true sound from all speakers.
Appreciate 2
Bogey4me152.00
lcd12326.00
      06-08-2019, 07:34 AM   #3
MarkH62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, 750Li

You're not alone, I did the same thing at first, and would probably still be doing it if it wasn't getting so hot here. The B&W in the X7 is one of the best in-car audio systems I've heard. I always ask to audition the upgraded sound systems when I'm looking for a new vehicle, and the difference between the HK and B&W just blew me away. The other vehicle at the top of our list before we bought was an Audi Q7. I didn't get to spend a lot of time with it, but the B&O upgrade ($5K!) honestly didn't sound much better than the Bose in my little Mazda CX-5.
Appreciate 1
Bogey4me152.00
      06-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

I have the $5K B&O system on my Q7 and it will be very interesting how it compares to the B&W on the X7.

On the one hand, I'm a bit concerned because the B&W has 3 speakers less (20 vs. 23) but the B&W has some speakers in the headliner so they def. balanced the placement better.

I'm also planning on getting the Lincoln Aviator for my mother. That vehicle comes with 28(!!) speakers (incl. headliner) by Revel Audio. Our MKZ has the 20 speaker Revel which is not bad, either (but not quite as good as the B&O on the Audi).

What I really like about the B&W is the illumination. It also delivers a show for the eyes! Will be a nice replacement for the pop-out speakers on the dash of the Q7 which are an eye-catcher as well and every time I have a guest in my vehicle, they are asking about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #5
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
I have the $5K B&O system on my Q7 and it will be very interesting how it compares to the B&W on the X7.

On the one hand, I'm a bit concerned because the B&W has 3 speakers less (20 vs. 23) but the B&W has some speakers in the headliner so they def. balanced the placement better.

I'm also planning on getting the Lincoln Aviator for my mother. That vehicle comes with 28(!!) speakers (incl. headliner) by Revel Audio. Our MKZ has the 20 speaker Revel which is not bad, either (but not quite as good as the B&O on the Audi).

What I really like about the B&W is the illumination. It also delivers a show for the eyes! Will be a nice replacement for the pop-out speakers on the dash of the Q7 which are an eye-catcher as well and every time I have a guest in my vehicle, they are asking about it.
The B&O in my X5M thumped more than the B&W. It fit the X5M I thought. The clarity you can hear from the master recordings is amazing. You can hear a singers breath and instruments that you didn't know you were there! All good options 😀. However, my HK in the M4 doesn't sound as good as it used to be 🤣😂
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #6
SparkleCity
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i, AMG S63

I agree 100%...only issue for me is that the tweeter above the driver seat was blown upon delivery so I cannot fully enjoy. Waiting on a replacement to come from Germany and I live in Spartanburg, SC.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 12:35 AM   #7
Ken750iX7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 750i X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkleCity View Post
I agree 100%...only issue for me is that the tweeter above the driver seat was blown upon delivery so I cannot fully enjoy. Waiting on a replacement to come from Germany and I live in Spartanburg, SC.
Sorry to hear that

My B&W in 2017 750i is still work great until now, even sound better than B&W that in my 2019 X7.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 06:51 AM   #8
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Oh, man, sorry to hear this. Hope BMW makes good.

I've always bought BMW audio systems at the middle HK level, as I'm a pseudo-audiophile, and appreciate what fine audio can bring. However, I also recognize that the very nature of a moving car's interior is absolutely terrible for an audio setup, with speaker distance, object material and placement inside the listening area, and ambient noise control.

However, since my upcoming purchase is intended to be high-end and last me a long time, I'm very much thinking B&W this time around. (and yes, the lights are a groovy bonus)
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #9
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Quote:
Oh, man, sorry to hear this. Hope BMW makes good.

I've always bought BMW audio systems at the middle HK level, as I'm a pseudo-audiophile, and appreciate what fine audio can bring. However, I also recognize that the very nature of a moving car's interior is absolutely terrible for an audio setup, with speaker distance, object material and placement inside the listening area, and ambient noise control.

However, since my upcoming purchase is intended to be high-end and last me a long time, I'm very much thinking B&W this time around. (and yes, the lights are a groovy bonus)
I had always gone with the HK level before the B&O in my X5M. You can definitely hear more of the goodness of the B&W when it's parked, but the difference while driving it's very apparent too. Go for it!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 03:33 PM   #10
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey4me View Post
I was going to say “my Harmon Kardon has plenty of sound for me,” but I realized your reaction would likely be similar to mine when I hear others say their 40i has plenty of power.

But seriously, I’m envious of your B&W! This is the one option i didn’t get and have regretted it since. My husband’s M5 has it and it’s awesome, but we thought it would be a waste in a car that would have kids in the backseat most of the time. But I sure do miss it when I’m jamming by myself. Turn it up for those of us who can’t.
Appreciate 1
Bogey4me152.00
      06-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #11
Metal man
Private
Rep
Drives: A few different ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
I was going to say “my Harmon Kardon has plenty of sound for me,” but I realized your reaction would likely be similar to mine when I hear others say their 40i has plenty of power.

But seriously, I’m envious of your B&W! This is the one option i didn’t get and have regretted it since. My husband’s M5 has it and it’s awesome, but we thought it would be a waste in a car that would have kids in the backseat most of the time. But I sure do miss it when I’m jamming by myself. Turn it up for those of us who can’t.

The v8 is the waste in a boat that carries kids and groceries. Where are you flooring it with 3 baby seats in the back? Your certainly not racing anything with this behemoth. Learned this 5 years ago with an x5m for the wife. Biggest car mistake i made. A bunch of useless power and a rough suspension for 36 months. Smh. She now only gets the 6 cylinder loaded with options and softest suspension available
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 06:01 PM   #12
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal man View Post
The v8 is the waste in a boat that carries kids and groceries. Where are you flooring it with 3 baby seats in the back? Your certainly not racing anything with this behemoth. Learned this 5 years ago with an x5m for the wife. Biggest car mistake i made. A bunch of useless power and a rough suspension for 36 months. Smh. She now only gets the 6 cylinder loaded with options and softest suspension available
Sounds like your wife and I are different kinds of drivers.
Appreciate 3
jokinawa293.00
Bogey4me152.00
lcd12326.00
      06-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #13
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like your wife and I are different kinds of drivers.
Love it!! There's nothing wrong with crushing a sports car in a stop light to stop light drag race
Appreciate 1
Al Pinã1839.50
      06-09-2019, 07:13 PM   #14
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was going to say "my Harmon Kardon has plenty of sound for me," but I realized your reaction would likely be similar to mine when I hear others say their 40i has plenty of power.

But seriously, I'm envious of your B&W! This is the one option i didn't get and have regretted it since. My husband's M5 has it and it's awesome, but we thought it would be a waste in a car that would have kids in the backseat most of the time. But I sure do miss it when I'm jamming by myself. Turn it up for those of us who can't.

I don't even know where to start, but I'll start with the X5M comment. I had a F15 50i and a F85 X5M. The X5M will pull nearly a G on the slalom. It will drift around corners, it is as fast as a 911 and is fast around the Nürburing than a DB9, an Alpina B3, a C6 corvette, an SL 65 AMG, the list goes on. Best sports car I ever had until I just got an M4, which isn't as fast off the line but a blast around corners. It's all preference, but I've never read a review calling the X5M a boat. To each his own, but you might be alone in that assessment. You sure you had one or confused with the M sport 50i? My wife sold her GLS for this X7, now that's a bit more what you describe. Way more floaty than the X7. The X7 is the sportiest 3 row SUV made and if blowing sports sedans away off the line isn't your thing then the 6 cylinder was the right choice!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 10:00 PM   #15
Metal man
Private
Rep

What sport sedan are you blowing of the line? 4 cylinder mustangs?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 11:13 PM   #16
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What sport sedan are you blowing of the line? 4 cylinder mustangs?
My wife's X7 40i will beat a 4 cylinder mustang. The X7 50i has the same 0-60 as the 6 cylinder GT which is 4.5 or 4.6 assuming the driver doesn't get any wheel spin. The X7 will never have wheel spin so most if the time the X7 50i would win 0-60. It's pretty amazing given it weighs a helluva lot more. Read the article below from Car & Driver for their 0-60. I didn't get the 50i, because it's primarily my wife's car and she didn't like being thrown back in the seat when she drove it. (Exactly the reason I wanted her to get it!). I would have gotten the 50i, because it's too much fun to be in a giant car that not many cars can beat.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...v-first-drive/
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 11:52 PM   #17
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

LOL. Talking bout red light racing sports cars in an X7...

🙄
😂😂
Appreciate 1
Bogey4me152.00
      06-10-2019, 09:26 AM   #18
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken750iX7 View Post
Good choice with B&W, it sound better than Harman Kardon.

Need to break in for couple of months before get the true sound from all speakers.
Is it really a couple of months?? My husband was a little underwhelmed about the bass. I'm hoping ours gets better.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #19
Metal man
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
Is it really a couple of months?? My husband was a little underwhelmed about the bass. I'm hoping ours gets better.
It wont. In regards to bass I have it in the 750. Pretty disappointing since the bowers in wilkins in my previous 2012 xjl supercharged you could feel the bass from 100 feet away
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #20
Metal man
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBlitz76 View Post

🙄
😂😂
This! Who is racing in a mom mobile with kids in tow? Someone misunderstood my x5m post. Im not saying it wasn’t a great performance suv. Im saying is when we used it we had 2 kids on board under 5. Who speeds/races with little kids in the car? Hence the extra power being pointless to someone like me. I realized then that for my family car comfort trunps all others. If you want to race get a real sports car
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #21
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
The beauty of the 50i is that it gives you the comfort — you wouldn’t believe the cushiony ride the suspension has, even on the 22’s — AND the power. No, I’m not doing a lot of racing, but I love how quickly I can get this thing to the in-town speed limit, leaving *most* other cars in the dust. Put me on an interstate entrance ramp with nobody else around, and I’m in heaven. There are three other cars in my garage, and this one is by far the slowest, but for my every day driving, it’s everything I need. Nobody puts Baby in a 6 cylinder.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      06-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #22
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBlitz76 View Post

🙄
😂😂
This! Who is racing in a mom mobile with kids in tow? Someone misunderstood my x5m post. Im not saying it wasn’t a great performance suv. Im saying is when we used it we had 2 kids on board under 5. Who speeds/races with little kids in the car? Hence the extra power being pointless to someone like me. I realized then that for my family car comfort trunps all others. If you want to race get a real sports car
I got you now! The X5M was mine and I rarely had anyone in it and when I did it cramped my style.
Appreciate 0