BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum Tire options?

04-17-2024, 01:10 AM   #1
bMw1980
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW XM

Tire options?

Hello everyone, I'm fairly new to this platform and have only shared a few pictures of my car so far. I'm seeking advice on tire options, particularly as I reside in Texas where the harsh concrete roads can be brutal on wheels and tires. I'm looking to improve the ride quality a bit. While I'm not an expert on wheels and tires, I do know I currently have some variation of the Pirelli P Zero, which are run flats. However, I'd prefer non-run flats for my daily commute vehicle, especially considering the high cost of replacement tires from BMW dealerships. Does anyone have recommendations for non-run flat tires that would fit my stock 23-inch wheels? Appreciate any insights!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 04:01 PM   #2
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bMw1980 View Post
Hello everyone, I'm fairly new to this platform and have only shared a few pictures of my car so far. I'm seeking advice on tire options, particularly as I reside in Texas where the harsh concrete roads can be brutal on wheels and tires. I'm looking to improve the ride quality a bit. While I'm not an expert on wheels and tires, I do know I currently have some variation of the Pirelli P Zero, which are run flats. However, I'd prefer non-run flats for my daily commute vehicle, especially considering the high cost of replacement tires from BMW dealerships. Does anyone have recommendations for non-run flat tires that would fit my stock 23-inch wheels? Appreciate any insights!
Tire rack..the issue is the XM is staggered and the tires are massive, so the 23 inch is very limited.

You have few options

1) downgrade to the 22s which ride better, have more tire options including winters, plus extra sidwall.

2) go aftermarket 22 or 21s but math it out so the ratios stay in check and go with a different rim which would allow some more flexibility of tire choices.

Also,

The OEM (PIRELLI P ZERO (PZ4)) 23s aren't runflats, M's are normally not sold with run flats. They are a high performance summer tire.

The only tire options per tire rack is Yokohama again this on the factory spec rim staying factory specs.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...erformance=ALL

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resu...&package=false
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 10:35 AM   #3
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
It’s interesting that if you put in search for tire by vehicle you get fewer options than search for tire by size at least for 22 inch options. I may move to all seasons as my tires are wearing quickly. Anyone have experience with continental extreme contact DWS 06?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 01:50 PM   #4
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XM Label View Post
It’s interesting that if you put in search for tire by vehicle you get fewer options than search for tire by size at least for 22 inch options. I may move to all seasons as my tires are wearing quickly. Anyone have experience with continental extreme contact DWS 06?
It's because not all tires are the same. Note the XM is staggered and some tires are for different vechile weights/loads/speed ratings, so not all 22 inches are created equal, also note that some tires are directional tread patterns so keep that mind when you custom shop.

Are you sure they are wearing quickly, what's the milage and have you test the depth?

Also is your XM a lease?

Extreme contact DWS 06, well I haven't personally used them they are good tires from the reviews.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 02:32 PM   #5
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
It's because not all tires are the same. Note the XM is staggered and some tires are for different vechile weights/loads/speed ratings, so not all 22 inches are created equal, also note that some tires are directional tread patterns so keep that mind when you custom shop.

Are you sure they are wearing quickly, what's the milage and have you test the depth?

Also is your XM a lease?

Extreme contact DWS 06, well I haven't personally used them they are good tires from the reviews.

That’s the thing, same load and speed ratings but better tire wear ratings. Not worried about directional tread (I don’t believe they are) because I don’t rotate tires as they are staggered. Tires only appear when you search by size not by vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2024, 02:50 PM   #6
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
That’s the thing, same load and speed ratings but better tire wear ratings. Not worried about directional tread (I don’t believe they are) because I don’t rotate tires as they are staggered. Tires only appear when you search by size not by vehicle.
No idea why they aren't listed...your right everything is within spec absent all the others are bmw star tires minus the Pirelli winter ones.
Appreciate 1
XM Label915.00
      04-23-2024, 04:35 PM   #7
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
No idea why they aren't listed...your right everything is within spec absent all the others are bmw star tires minus the Pirelli winter ones.
Probably one of those things like the recommend shell gas sticker you see everytime you fill up the gas tank. Exxon and Sunoco are also top tier and are fine!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 04:42 PM   #8
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Probably one of those things like the recommend shell gas sticker you see everytime you fill up the gas tank. Exxon and Sunoco are also top tier and are fine!
OEM Star tires ...are made specifically for the OEM.. everyone does it as they are updated and designed to a manufacturer spec and recommend and tend to preform better.

Now can you run a no star tire yes.
Appreciate 1
XM Label915.00
      04-23-2024, 04:57 PM   #9
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
OEM Star tires ...are made specifically for the OEM.. everyone does it as they are updated and designed to a manufacturer spec and recommend and tend to preform better.

Now can you run a no star tire yes.
I know the design and materials of the tire with star makes a car handle as BMW intends the car to handle but this is obviously much more important in a sports car around a track. I would say 99.9 percent of us will never take the XM to the track nor to the limit where star tires will make a difference in handling or dynamics.
Appreciate 1
ricerboi852.50
      04-23-2024, 09:29 PM   #10
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

I thought all XMs came with Pirellis but put my summers back on and noticed mine came with Yokohamas from factory on the 23” wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 06:16 AM   #11
rccarps2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 XM and 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Yep. I have been running them since early December. Wearing well. No noise or traction issues. Worked well in the limited snow/slush I drove in over the winter.

Would get them again. I think they cost me about $1,600, installed at my office (tire rack mobile installation).
      04-24-2024, 06:36 AM   #12
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccarps2 View Post
Yep. I have been running them since early December. Wearing well. No noise or traction issues. Worked well in the limited snow/slush I drove in over the winter.

Would get them again. I think they cost me about $1,600, installed at my office (tire rack mobile installation).
Did you notice any perceptible difference in handling and dynamics versus OEM tires? I put a lot of miles and have a lead foot. Will probably be done with OEM summer tires before summer is over…..
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2024, 07:49 AM   #13
rccarps2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 XM and 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Did you notice any perceptible difference in handling and dynamics versus OEM tires? I put a lot of miles and have a lead foot. Will probably be done with OEM summer tires before summer is over…..
Nothing that I have noticed. If I didn't know they were swapped, I wouldn't even realize it.

I can be pretty heavy on the foot too.