BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Reasons I'd never get the LCI, and got the pre-LCI

08-22-2022, 10:16 AM   #1
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Reasons I'd never get the LCI, and got the pre-LCI

So, with all the discussions and conversations around mostly focused on photos of the front design, I thought I'd start this thread that's rather focused on comprehensive discussions* focused on features, functionality and design aspects of the Pre vs post LCI X7. Note: I have already seen both in person.

Reason that, a few weeks ago, I just picked and secured my pre-LCI X7 with the V8 engine and spec's that I needed instead of the LCI one:
1. The inclusion of Mild-hybrid in the 23 LCI
Mild hybrid is there for just one reason: Emissions and regulatory requirements !!, with just a tiny bit improvement in MPG. To me, it is just an added complexity, hardware and liability that we, the BMW user, don't need from a driving experience prospective. To me, it is useless. I'd love to have it if I had a Toyota or Honda; but not on a BMW that is built all around based on the driving experience.
2. Front design
Some might say that the new front might grow on some people with time. However, one thing I can tell you, it will NEVER look as nice and classy as the pre-LCI. BMW has a GREAT reputation in listening to their customers and making adjustments as they go, especially when a new generation is released. Don't forget that this X7 as an LCI and it is not a new X7. I am sure they will fix this front design when a new generation of X7 is released by end of 2026, but until then, I will continue to enjoy the pre-LCI.
3. Pre-set buttons removed (along with AC buttons!).
The removal of the pre-set buttons in the interior (which has always been one of the very best features that any BMW has), and moving it into the touch screen, is absolutely the worst decision ever made.!!! for someone who is 6ft plus, or anyone with standard reach, getting to that touch screen and sketching yourself to navigate across screens and menus to do a single function is just silly, stupid and non-sense. Also, not to mention, even worse, the lack of AC physical buttons, as well as the distance adjust between you and the front vehicle on the steering wheel! Now you have to go to the menu, follow 2-3 steps, to adjust the distance level!
4. Current X7 is produced with an older service pack and will get a new hardware and refresh starting March/April 2023.
Here is a formal answer from BMW USA confirming that current X7 LCI is lacking the new hardware on the 7-sedan or iX. BMW USA also confirmed the the X7 will get a refresh or upgrade on the hardware to be similar to the of the 7-series. This includes Personal Pilot and a few other upgrades coming between 2023-2027. As I mentioned earlier, the current X7 service pack is just a carry over from pre-lci. It will be upgraded later around April 2023 with newer modules that will receive other upgrades related to new BMW technologies. Another secret: Lasers lights are also coming back to the X7. Let's keep limited to this info for now.

Thanks for Adam from providing this formal answer from BMW USA info:
"Hi Adam - We should first point out that BMW does not produce vehicles capable of autonomous driving. At this time, the Driver Assistance Professional Package for the new 2023 BMW X7 models does not include Highway Assistant, which will be introduced on the new BMW 7 Series and allows attentive hands-free driving at speeds up to 80 mph under suitable conditions. While we anticipate this feature will be available for order starting in the spring of 2023, it will not be possible or practical to retrofit or upgrade vehicles produced earlier. The system currently available for order in the 2023 BMW X7 allows attentive hands-free driving at speeds up to about 40 mph under suitable conditions."
Sorry if I offended any of you who decided to get the LCI this year instead of the pre-LCI one. It is just my opinion. The pre-LCI absolutely is superior from a design and functionality prospective to the LCI one; at least IMO. it is not just about the front end, there is more to it as I described above from a functionality prospective.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 09-01-2022 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-22-2022, 10:20 AM   #2
Bigrahizzle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 x7

I'm enjoying hahaha

You have to see it in person to make any type of judgment. People break their necks while you drive by
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 10:24 AM   #3
hdtran972
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mercedes

The front end to me is refreshing design. When I went to see it in person along with the new dashboard, made me love it more. Can't wait for mine to come thru.
Appreciate 2
      08-22-2022, 10:25 AM   #4
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrahizzle View Post

I'm enjoying hahaha

You have to see it in person to make any type of judgment. People break their necks while you drive by
Good for you. I have seen both in person when I picked up my pre-LCI order earlier this month.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 10:29 AM   #5
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtran972 View Post
The front end to me is refreshing design. When I went to see it in person along with the new dashboard, made me love it more. Can't wait for mine to come thru.
Well, it is more of a normal sociological behavior that we all tend to like what we have once we formally own it. What I am referring to, is more of a non-biased point of you. I was in a situation that I was completely free to decide on either ones and I was not in a rush to get either of them. I've seen both in person, and I was not under pressure in a way that I've already and formally purchased either of them. Again, IMO, the pre-LCI design is SUPERIOR. We can urge on the design just a little bit, but we can't argue on the functionality. Plus, one can argue that the new LCI is ugly vs not ugly, or being a Hyundai palisade vs not, but I don't think there is a good case that the LCI looks better* than the pre-LCI. At the very best, it is an acceptably design, but IMO it is not even close to how classy the pre-LCI front looks like. The LCI looked like a Hyundai palisade to me in photos, in person, it might have looked slightly better but it's still not a BMW. Maybe not a Hyundai look, but not a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 11:55 AM   #6
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

The funny thing, in 10 years, we're going to see the pre-LCI models as "old" looking. Even if they are better looking, it's very unlikely that any of these make "classic car" status as beauties. The pre-LCI will look dated compared to the LCI. Just how our brains work, especially if BMW takes styling cues from the next X7 into other models (which they likely will).
Appreciate 2
      08-22-2022, 12:10 PM   #7
fastdj88
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i

This is my 1st BMW, I find it funny how the majority of the community picks a side --> Pre-LCI vs LCI.

It's like no one can just be happy we all own X7's and we all chose BMW.?.

Why do we have to be on one team or the other? It's like the pre-LCI team feels an obligation to try and persuade others not to buy the '23 and the '23 owners are constantly justifying/defending their purchasing decision -- very bizarre.

I appreciate elements of both designs, and honestly I haven't found a perfect car yet in my 29 years of owning cars (Denali, Sequoia, Escalade, Audi and Dodge). There is always something that irritates me or that I feel needs improved upon. Just never vocalized it as much as I see on this forum.....

Anyway, I'm happy we all have X7s, I'm excited to get mine and join the club regardless of the year!
Appreciate 6
wtwo317971.00
MAXKONG28.50
SkiMike16.50
      08-22-2022, 12:59 PM   #8
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdj88 View Post
This is my 1st BMW, I find it funny how the majority of the community picks a side --> Pre-LCI vs LCI.
At this level of car, we're really into the "splitting hairs" category. Not just pre-LCI to post-LCI (although that's a particularly fine hair), but even between models and manufacturers. Are they different? Yes, for sure. Are they FAR more similar than different? Yes, equally for sure.

These things cost a lot of money and are pretty special vehicles in a lot of areas (or, if you live in Palm Beach, as common as an Accord). It's not surprising that people both get passionate about them but also start to get into the a level of depth in "hair splitting" that borders on insane.

I'm no better. I threw a fit when I realized I couldn't get full leather without a huge wait. But, I mean, in the grand scheme of things, is a leather covered door lower really that different?

I'm glad there are communities like this of enthusiasts, but I think we have to remember we are in the minority (perhaps extreme minority). Most people buy cars on "That looks good, how much" rather than exhaustively pouring over the order books, option codes, changes between model years, etc.

I doubt my Mom will even notice pre vs post-LCI on our new car. She likes nice cars, but both are very nice. She might say "I've not seen one that looks like this before", but I doubt she'll even recognize it's because of a somewhat major facelift.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 01:14 PM   #9
JJ(BM)Dubya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60

These are all valid reasons. Ultimately it’s subjective. I do think this group here represents a small fraction of the buyers out there who just want what’s new. That’s why I think the resale market for the LCI won’t tank like others think.

One of my biggest issues with the pre-LCI is I can never tell if I’m looking at an X5 or X7 when I look head on. Side by side, sure it’s obvious, but I like the distinction that the new look carries. BMW’s top tier cars (7s and XM at least) are adopting this design and that separates them from the other models that are more “obtainable” to the masses.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 01:26 PM   #10
Presplan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

From some other videos I’ve seen, it sounds like the future of BMW is to make these changes on their other models, so if you don’t like what’s been changed, you probably won’t be getting another BMW in the future.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 01:40 PM   #11
hdtran972
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mercedes

Quote:

It's like no one can just be happy we all own X7's and we all chose BMW.?.

Why do we have to be on one team or the other? It's like the pre-LCI team feels an obligation to try and persuade others not to buy the '23 and the '23 owners are constantly justifying/defending their purchasing decision -- very bizarre.

I appreciate elements of both designs, and honestly I haven't found a perfect car yet in my 29 years of owning cars (Denali, Sequoia, Escalade, Audi and Dodge). There is always something that irritates me or that I feel needs improved upon. Just never vocalized it as much as I see on this forum.....

Anyway, I'm happy we all have X7s, I'm excited to get mine and join the club regardless of the year!
It's more annoying for a guy to start a topic base on two design of the same car and write what he dislike and tone down people for not agreeing with his input...It's like if we bought LCI design, we have the worst taste
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 01:51 PM   #12
BMWX7m60i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ?

Love to see some of your faces. Pretty sure not every person will find it attractive. Does not make it a bad face. Just different. These threads are getting ridiculous. People just want to put others down. We are all fortunate to own these cars. Mine is not better than yours and yours is not better than mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 01:52 PM   #13
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
The funny thing, in 10 years, we're going to see the pre-LCI models as "old" looking. Even if they are better looking, it's very unlikely that any of these make "classic car" status as beauties. The pre-LCI will look dated compared to the LCI. Just how our brains work, especially if BMW takes styling cues from the next X7 into other models (which they likely will).
Wrong. The Head of Design "Domagoj Dukec" said in a public interview and had made it VERY CLEAR that ONLY the X7 and 7-series will get the split headlight design. He made it clear that they made the decision to always keep the 7-series design different from all other BMW models. So, to say that this design language will be taken to all other models, is a completely wrong assumption and wrong statement. Plus, there are so many BMW designs that have been a mistake when they were first released and they continue to look odd until today. Also, keep in mind the one thing that distinguish most BMW from any other brand is that they continue to look even better with time and they never age. You can share your own opinion, but to me, the pre-lci will continue to look better than the LCI, as it stands today in the present, as well as in the future.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 08-22-2022 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 01:55 PM   #14
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

No one has mentioned the LCI's instrument panel / navigation screen. My G550 has two 12" displays mounted side-by-side and presents an impression of a continuous wide-screen display, which is my impression of the LCI's. But unlike the G550, the LCI's looks transplanted onto the pre-LCI's dashboard with Velcro fasteners. I haven't seen one in person, so perhaps I'm being unfair. But from photos, I prefer the pre-LCI's design to the LCI's. BTW, how is the sunlight reflection off the LCI's display? Without an overhang, I would think there are times visibility would be impaired.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 01:56 PM   #15
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

!
it is because this particular new design on the X7 is just very odd and majority of people had disliked it. All other vehicles that had received a facelift were really good looking. In this case, it feels that the pre-LCI is actually the face-lifted one.. How on earth would they follow a design language first done by Hyundai. It is just so odd. A friend of mine in Germany who works for BMW had told me that the feedback on the new design is pushing BMW to seriously thinking about a complete new design for the new generation X7 wherein the design work is actually starting soon internally (at least from a visuals prospective internally)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 01:59 PM   #16
MAXKONG
Enlisted Member
Rep

Have you ever check idrive 8?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 02:05 PM   #17
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtran972 View Post
It's more annoying for a guy to start a topic base on two design of the same car and write what he dislike and tone down people for not agreeing with his input...It's like if we bought LCI design, we have the worst taste
I doubt that you ready the entire post. You have missed that my opinion here is not simply based on the look of the new LCI, I have 2 points out of 3 that re rather focused on functionality than the look. The front hood can be subjective, but lack of functionality is not something that has to do with my taste or your taste. There are a few more design or functionality issues IMO, but I only listed the ones that bother me personally or those that bother me the most. After-all, it is just my personal opinion and if course some people will like the LCI, but it's clear that majority of people prefer the pre-LCI design language.

Honestly, if both design languages are offered as an LCI-2023 vehicle, I guarantee you that majority of people will order the one with the typical 2019-2022 front hood on their 2023, no Mild-hybrid operation and WITH pre-set physical buttons and AC physical buttons. Beside those 3 features and I-drive 8, are their any major changes that worth it? No, and hence was my decision to pick the pre-LCI. To me, it was just superior in many ways to the LCI that the other way around. Just my own opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 02:08 PM   #18
MAXKONG
Enlisted Member
Rep

SMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
Wrong. Someone from the BWM leadership in a public interview had made it VERY CLEAR that ONLY the X7 and 7-series will get the split headlight design. He made it clear that they made the decision to always keep the 7-series design different from all other BMW models. So, to say that this design language will be taken to all other models, is a completely wrong assumption and wrong statement. Plus, there are so many BMW designs that have been a mistake when they were first released and they continue to look odd until today. Also, keep in mind the one thing that distinguish most BMW from any other brand is that they continue to look even better with time and they never age. You can share your own opinion, but to me, the pre-lci will continue to look better than the LCI, as it stands today in the present, as well as in the future.
SMH
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 02:12 PM   #19
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presplan View Post
From some other videos I’ve seen, it sounds like the future of BMW is to make these changes on their other models, so if you don’t like what’s been changed, you probably won’t be getting another BMW in the future.
Wrong. The Head of Design "Domagoj Dukec" said in a public interview and had made it VERY CLEAR that ONLY the X7 and 7-series will get the split headlight design. He made it clear that they made the decision to always keep the 7-series design different from all other BMW models, and that the split headlights will be restricted to the X7 and 7-series only.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 02:15 PM   #20
JJ(BM)Dubya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60

OP seems like a cool dude.

Somebody please respond “Wrong.”
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 02:27 PM   #21
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
Wrong. The Head of Design "Domagoj Dukec" said in a public interview and had made it VERY CLEAR that ONLY the X7 and 7-series will get the split headlight design. He made it clear that they made the decision to always keep the 7-series design different from all other BMW models, and that the split headlights will be restricted to the X7 and 7-series only.

Listen to this and start from 1:50 and not what he says at 1:57
In another interview, he had mentioned that they won't apply this split headlight design to any other BMW other than the 7 line (Sedan-7-series and SUV-X7). Can't find the video now but will share it later when I have time to search it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 02:36 PM   #22
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXKONG View Post
Have you ever check idrive 8?
I did. I had an iX for about 9 months. The screens look really nice. The system is nicer than Idrive 7. But, assuming it works the same in the X7, if I have to choose between iDrive 8 and loosing physical buttons (specifically the AC buttons and the pre-set buttons), I'd rather choose and keep idrive 7 on an X7.
Appreciate 0