forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Pretty Discouraging XB7 Review

12-04-2020, 12:01 AM   #23
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Do yourself a favor and option out an M50i. You'll be so happy unless you absolutely must have the Alpina branding. I drive mine all over the city, highway, foothills, mountains, dry, wet, and snow. The car has a fantastic amount of flexibility and never-ending power.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25158.50
      12-04-2020, 01:51 AM   #24
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Do yourself a favor and option out an M50i. You'll be so happy unless you absolutely must have the Alpina branding. I drive mine all over the city, highway, foothills, mountains, dry, wet, and snow. The car has a fantastic amount of flexibility and never-ending power.
Agreed. It's probably the best solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #25
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Alpina XB7/21 Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBMW View Post
Hey guys, I found this recent review on the XB7, one of the only of its kind, pretty candid and discouraging:

I do completely disagree with his comment about Tesla being better - Tesla might be faster straight line, but interior of Tesla is junk and it has major body roll - let's not compare anything to the XB7 except straight line speed - which isn't the end all be all.

I can't help but feel super let down by this, especially with all his plastic comments, and I agree with much of the other issues with it, like they should/could have done so much more to make this special. It's just so blah.

His comments on the key was also confusing, because I've seen other videos of the XB7 with a super cool digital looking key - here is the video I am referring to with the cool key:

Anyway, I still think I am ordering the XB7 because I don't feel like I have any other choices. GLS 63 I don't love either, plus my wife is getting the GLS 580 and we can't have basically the same vehicle. The Maybach isn't out yet, will be probably over $200k, and honestly it's just overkill for me. So, that all being said, I'm just let down by the XB7 and the reviews and I wish it was more special. I'll do some things to improve it, but blah.
I do agree for everything he said about XB7.
My XB7 Alpina Blue Metallic was scheduled for build on 01.03.2021.
I am disappointed that Alpina choose to use exactly interior that I have already in my 2020 X7 4.0 MSRP 94K.
Except Alpina badges, stitching on the steering wheel, controls behind the wheel and Alpina wood, my future XB7 will be identical with a lot of plastic around, and very slow moving 2nd and 3rd row seats.
Also, I choose Shadowline pack on XB7, same as I have on my X7 now, and again very disappointed that I have to work on the chrome hockey stick and front grill to make them black.
Last, I will get same key as I already have for my current car, I would prefer to have ether display key or Alpina branded key.
I don't care what this guy on video said about Tesla. Never even look and sit in Tesla, so I can't compare.
Don't tell me that I have to choose M50 and save 30-40K. For many different reasons I choose a fully loaded XB7.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #26
SteelBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemagrp View Post
Quote:
Hey guys, I found this recent review on the XB7, one of the only of its kind, pretty candid and discouraging:

I do completely disagree with his comment about Tesla being better - Tesla might be faster straight line, but interior of Tesla is junk and it has major body roll - let's not compare anything to the XB7 except straight line speed - which isn't the end all be all.

I can't help but feel super let down by this, especially with all his plastic comments, and I agree with much of the other issues with it, like they should/could have done so much more to make this special. It's just so blah.

His comments on the key was also confusing, because I've seen other videos of the XB7 with a super cool digital looking key - here is the video I am referring to with the cool key:

Anyway, I still think I am ordering the XB7 because I don't feel like I have any other choices. GLS 63 I don't love either, plus my wife is getting the GLS 580 and we can't have basically the same vehicle. The Maybach isn't out yet, will be probably over $200k, and honestly it's just overkill for me. So, that all being said, I'm just let down by the XB7 and the reviews and I wish it was more special. I'll do some things to improve it, but blah.
I am disappointed that Alpina choose to use exactly interior that I have already in my 2020 X7 4.0 MSRP 94K.
Except Alpina badges, stitching on the steering wheel, controls behind the wheel and Alpina wood, my future XB7 will be identical with a lot of plastic around, and very slow moving 2nd and 3rd row seats.
Also, I choose Shadowline pack on XB7, same as I have on my X7 now, and again very disappointed that I have to work on the chrome hockey stick and front grill to make them black.
Last, I will get same key as I already have for my current car, I would prefer to have ether display key or Alpina branded key.
I don't care what this guy on video said about Tesla. Never even look and sit in Tesla, so I can't compare.
Don't tell me that I have to choose M50 and save 30-40K. For many different reasons I choose a fully loaded XB7.
Quote:
Quote:

I'm going to do the XB7 too. I'm just being a pissy pants about it. May I ask if you got any percent off MSRP in your pre-order? I'm calling around now to seek best discount.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:19 PM   #27
robbys3m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3's

Quote:
X2 everything you said and I have the same spec and gonna do the same stuff. Only difference is my wife already hates her digital key
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 03:42 PM   #28
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to do the XB7 too. I'm just being a pissy pants about it. May I ask if you got any percent off MSRP in your pre-order? I'm calling around now to seek best discount.
For now I have 8% off MSRP, waiting till January program in.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #29
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbys3m3 View Post
X2 everything you said and I have the same spec and gonna do the same stuff. Only difference is my wife already hates her digital key
Very happy with my build:

Model Year
Model Code / Desc.
21SQ X7 ALPINA
Color Code / Desc.
X06 (Ind) ALPINA Blue Metallic
Upholstery Code / Desc.
ZBTQ (Ind) Tartufo Full Merino Leather

Options:
300 - Space-saver spare
407 - Panoramic Sky Lounge LED Roof
4NN - 5-zone auto climate control
6F1 - Bowers & Wilkins sound system
6FH - Rear-seat entertainment
X2A - (Ind) 23" ALPINA CS16 Perf Non-RF
XES - (Ind) ALPINA Walnut Nature Black Tri
ZLT - Shadowline exterior trim
Appreciate 2
Al Pină1839.50
LittleJoe1065.00
      12-04-2020, 09:11 PM   #30
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
No one would consider the Xb7 over the M50i if it didn’t have Alpina logos on it. I’ve said it before but this is not worth the 40k on top of the M50i pricing.
Totally agree. M50i the sweet spot. As is GLS580 for the GLS. Pay a premium over the best executed vehicle in the line because there are fewer of them? Sorry, don’t need that validation, personally.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 12:17 AM   #31
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Totally agree. M50i the sweet spot. As is GLS580 for the GLS. Pay a premium over the best executed vehicle in the line because there are fewer of them? Sorry, don’t need that validation, personally.
Nothing about validation. The better X7 is the Alpina regardless of price.
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 3
LittleJoe1065.00
Al Pină1839.50
      12-05-2020, 07:36 AM   #32
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoLo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
No one would consider the Xb7 over the M50i if it didn’t have Alpina logos on it. I’ve said it before but this is not worth the 40k on top of the M50i pricing.
100% this
Such an ignorant and uninformed comment, unsurprisingly found on the grocery-getter forum.

The real fact is that you both would probably consider one after it left your "M"50 for dead at a red light race. You gotta stop letting random bum-ass YouTubers gas you up.

Every seasoned auto journalist worth his/her salt chooses the Alpina when it's compared head to head against an M variant. The funniest/saddest part is you're acting like your watered down "M" was worth the premium over the X7 50i they discontinued after finding out they can milk people like you for several thousand extra dollars.
      12-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #33
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Such an ignorant and uninformed comment, unsurprisingly found on the grocery-getter forum.

The real fact is that you both would probably consider one after it left your "M"50 for dead at a red light race. You gotta stop letting random bum-ass YouTubers gas you up.

Every seasoned auto journalist worth his/her salt chooses the Alpina when it's compared head to head against an M variant. The funniest/saddest part is you're acting like your watered down "M" was worth the premium over the X7 50i they discontinued after finding out they can milk people like you for several thousand extra dollars.
as teddy KGB might say: verrrryrry agrreeeeee sssss iii ivve

for me this alpina is the best ever. as far as visually, the alpina vs M aesthetic is a personal preference. all of this is.

i've driven everything up and down this class of vehicle and my personal sweet spot is where it is. the only way i would want this vehicle in my driveway is if i I wanted to further differentiate from the 40s and 50s with M package that look visually identical, both inside and out. to ultimately pull the trigger, though, this vehicle doesnt differentiate itself as much as I would like. that's just me, though. it's not my business to project onto others.

big picture, differentiation seems to be harder to do in this class of vehicle, for whatever reason. the changes made taking a vehicle from 120 to 150 in price are on the margin. but then the changes that take the 150 to a SUV that's 200+ in price seem to be a bigger leap, particularly inside the vehicle. almost feels like there is more value up there, than here, to me.

i think they could make a small change to this vehicle that would go a long way, but i don't know if it's a blasphemous thing to think: modernize the alpina logo. it's too staid for me. looks out of place inside this vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 08:58 AM   #34
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
Nothing about validation. The better X7 is the Alpina regardless of price.
agree, but see recent comment above for a driver that also wants it for different reasons
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 09:24 AM   #35
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:

“grocery getter forum????” That full size 4 door sedan segment of the market ain’t exactly burning it up in sales or interest the past decade but different luxury strokes for different folks. Some of us have evolved from crouching down to get into our luxury vehicle. JK.

Something to consider is a 2020 X7 M50i can be optioned out a lot higher than the current XB7 ALPINA. No night vision, ambient air or rear entertainment to start with for the XB7 ALPINA. Those are big options at this level and should be in the ALPINA option list. This does matter at this price point and since ALPINA is suppose to be a limited production bespoke vehicle, supply issues shouldn’t be a factor.

As far as performance goes, I am not sure it will be noticeable with both having as much hp and torque on demand. No one leaving anyone in their dust at the light at this level and weight. They are fast for a sports sedan let alone a luxury apartment on wheels.

ALPINA is a bespoke look. The typical ALPINA options that could separate it higher like Lavalina leather is not a option. That is not to say the Merino isn’t opulent and certainly better than the Maybach’s Nappa leather. There is nothing in the interior that is a upgrade from the current individual choices you can choose on a M50i other than cosmetic badging and color of steering wheel stitching. As many has pointed out, you have to be the potential owner that really likes the external styling add ons ALPINA did to a base X7. The exhaust and larger turbos are also under a factory warranty which is a huge selling point. I wonder if ALPINA chose the more aggressive look of the M50i and massaged it in the ALPINA style would have made it more appealing but I believe BMW wanted to keep their M50i look to themselves. Does ALPINA start with a 740i for their 7 series ALPINA sedan platform??

This topic has got way too insulting and personal IMO. There doesn’t have to be a definitive winner as their different looks and personalities are what will call to their respective owners.
Those that like the ALPINA will vote with their checkbooks and those that like the M50i will do so the same.

Here is the Alabama built 2021 Maybach GLS 600. It’s performance numbers are very average and certainly not as impressive as the X7 M50i let alone the XB7. It’s msrp is insulting and I am in their target demographic that might purchase such a vehicle. It’ has its own issues but you certainly must be one to want the rear lounge seating to pay such a premium. These are niche appealing vehicles and I ain’t that guy. I personally don’t value the boutique badge treatments to a already prestigious and quality built luxury vehicle from the Germans so I am happy to live in the $125k fully loaded BMW M50i world.

Last edited by MystroX5; 12-05-2020 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 09:37 AM   #36
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
The real fact is that you both would probably consider one after it left your "M"50 for dead at a red light race.
NOPE!

If that would matter to me, I would get an X5 M and would even be faster than the Alpina.

There is a certain point where it doesn't matter anymore how much power your vehicle has. At that point, the limiting factor in regards to performance is the simple fact that you are driving a 3-row SUV and not a performance coupe - no matter if it carries an Alpina-badge or not. The laws of physics are taking over.

I opted for the M50i because it offered the best package and I believe it still does.
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 11:28 AM   #37
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

You always find this one guy that will rage against anything - call this a first world problem.

You can always find any plastic parts in any vehicle no matter how expensive it is, so I'm not going to go there.

All of the electronic systems in the car are getting very complex, and the carmakers effort to reduce (declutter) number of buttons creates the issues similar to his comments regarding massage seats (or any other function for that matter) Fact is that you can assign functions to memory buttons in the center stack for quick access, but that would be too obvious a solution.

Yes, the seats move too slowly. Yes there is a gap between the seats. Yes the cover doesn't go back far enough (it's because you can recline the rear seats, but you can't rage about that). Yes to all the other things that are also a part of any other X7 trim out there.

In order to have an honest conversation about XB7 we first have to be honest about what XB7 is and what it isn't. Some would say it's really not an Alpina in the first place, sort of lipstick on a pig, but that's not the case. In fact, it's sort of opposite. If you spec out X7 M50i and XB7 to the same specs, you will see that the price difference is only $30K. Where did the difference go? Well, it actually went into improving performance and handling. All the drivetrain components have been worked on by Alpina (engine, transmission, transfer case, rear diff, intake, turbos and exhaust). The suspension is also different. Considering all of these changes, $30K is not too bad.

The second thing, the global pandemic might not have been the best time to release a premium line of luxury SUV. The disruption of the supply chain and the resulting tightening of the available options might have also dictated a reuse of the parts from regular X7 parts bin. Yes, Alpina should have more premium feel, but deal with reality, and not you are getting a Yugo here.

Taking into consideration all of this, XB7 is still heck of a great vehicle with an exceptional performance and ride comfort in a great looking package. Try to take your Tesla X for a cross country trip and let's see how comfortable you are going to be, and how long it's going to take you, not to mention planning your trip around supercharger availability.

I don't know, maybe I'm off base here......
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #38
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

I think many of you fell right into this fakers trap. He doesn't own that XB7 but he has some of you throwing insults at each other. For the faker, mission accomplished.
Appreciate 3
MystroX56307.00
fkim119181.00
      12-05-2020, 01:28 PM   #39
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I think many of you fell right into this fakers trap. He doesn't own that XB7 but he has some of you throwing insults at each other. For the faker, mission accomplished.

You speak of truth and clarity.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 02:56 PM   #40
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
This isn’t the only thread that has non-owners boasting about models that offer very little over the “standard” M50i. It wouldn’t be a BMW forum without a few insults flying back and forth between owners and trolls.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 07:45 PM   #41
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

Quote:
Ain't that the truth but it surely is entertaining.
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 08:16 PM   #42
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

I dont understand the entire debate about what is a better value, or if the XB7 is worth it over the M50i.

You all realize that most other people you are passing on the street are saying "how could anybody spend that much on an SUV" about any of the trim levels.

Fact is, we all paid a premium for luxury and performance and realize what those dollars got us. More importantly, we bought it because we could.

Arguing about trim level at this point is just silly.
Appreciate 3
LittleJoe1065.00
MystroX56307.00
      12-05-2020, 09:24 PM   #43
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
That, of course, is true.

The issue I'm having with this review is not that he got the XB7 over the M50i but rather the fact that he is complaining about things an educated buyer (aka enthusiast) should know before signing the deal. If you are so dissatisfied, why on earth would you buy such an expensive vehicle? That, I just don't get.
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #44
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
That, of course, is true.

The issue I'm having with this review is not that he got the XB7 over the M50i but rather the fact that he is complaining about things an educated buyer (aka enthusiast) should know before signing the deal. If you are so dissatisfied, why on earth would you buy such an expensive vehicle? That, I just don't get.
ITS FAKE! No one would pay $155,000 for a vehicle and then slam it to smithereens in a YouTube video a few days later.
Appreciate 0