BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography Prosumer Camera opinions?

05-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #23
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlspeed29 View Post
For arguments sake, let's say the S95 vs canons entry-level dslr ??
They both shoot in raw, which is good. But, a dSLR can give you various lens options, the ability to use a better flash, probably less noise at higher ISO, more accessories (battery grip, remote trigger, filters, etc). The S95 performs very well for a point-and-shoot and is much handier than a dSLR.
      05-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #24
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
They both shoot in raw, which is good. But, a dSLR can give you various lens options, the ability to use a better flash, probably less noise at higher ISO, more accessories (battery grip, remote trigger, filters, etc). The S95 performs very well for a point-and-shoot and is much handier than a dSLR.
I have had a Panny FZ-18 for a few years and have been pretty happy with it. I got a ton of nice shots during our trip to Europe 18 months ago and I still carry it in my camera bag as a backup or in case I need to get in a really quick shot. The thing I like best about it is that you can shoot in absolute silence, which comes in handy if you're in a church or sitting in a wedding audience. The FZ-100, which is the latest model, gets rave ratings, although at just over $400, you're getting into used or refurbed DSLR territory.

You also can't really stick a Panny FZ in a pocket. They're smaller than a DSLR, but not that small.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #25
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

I suppose that a question to ask here is, how would/does the OP feel about changing lenses (on a dSLR)?
      05-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #26
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I suppose that a question to ask here is, how would/does the OP feel about changing lenses (on a dSLR)?
I don't mind. But mind you I don't really know a whole lot about different lenses and filters etc..... That will come wh time
      05-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #27
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
I don't mind. But mind you I don't really know a whole lot about different lenses and filters etc..... That will come wh time
I got the Panny for just that reason. I wanted to learn about digital photography with something easy to use but that would let me shoot RAW and set things manually if I wanted. After 2 years I figured I did all I could with it and it was time to move up to a DSLR.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #28
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Yup, it will. I think, at some point or another, some of us with dSLR's have gone thru a phase where we wish we would've gotten lens x earlier on instead of going with lens y, but that's sometimes just a matter of learning and settling on which lens(es) suit each of us better.
      05-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #29
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

the current canon entry level is the T1i as of recently, other models below have been discontinued. So right away you're getting high quality video (1080p at 24fps, but i'd recommend shooting it's 720 option as it's smoother because of being 30fps) and 15 megapixels.

Don't get the kit lens with it 18-55 or 17-55 (i don't remember which it comes with) it lacks a lot of sharpness and contrast for that camera, any other lens that you can get with it as a kit would be an improvement, but that brings the price up a little.

The picture quality is going to be much better overall because of the type of camera that it is. with the T1i, you can start to see professional levels. Not saying the S95 isn't good, it just won't compete with a current SLR. The actual size of the sensor plays a massive roll here for the amount of light let in the camera producing a better image.

less shutter lag is a huge advantage when shooting, and the T1i is considerably faster. the speed of some of the cameras can make the difference between a small and someone getting bored.

you can shoot at higher ISO levels helping you when it starts getting a little later in the day, you can also add a hot shoe flash (this may not sound like much, but it does make a massive difference) and yes, it does have a pop up flash.

it also has better colour depth, so you'll get a few more colours from the available light spectrum which can help make pictures appear more realistic.

beyond that, you're getting into finicky stuff like screen resolution and frames per second. There are a million reasons to go to a DSLR over a point and shoot, it just depends what you want. If you're just filling Facebook with tons of pictures, don't worry too much an get a point and shoot, but if you actually want to take this up as a hobby and have something to appreciate, take the next step and get the DSLR, you won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #30
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Yup, it will. I think, at some point or another, some of us with dSLR's have gone thru a phase where we wish we would've gotten lens x earlier on instead of going with lens y, but that's sometimes just a matter of learning and settling on which lens(es) suit each of us better.
hard lesson learned..... one of the lenses i was happiest with, wasn't an EF mount when i switched to full frame... so i sold it to a friend. He loves it and uses it as his daily shooter... It was replaced with ha L series, so i'm not complaining, but it's one of the few non-L lenses that i've played with and liked.

But as you say, it's all a learning curve. If you want to do it right, and you are doing it partially as a long term investment knowing you are going to stick with it. Spend the money, but if you are unsure, it will either save you money to not jump in fully, or cost you a lot more in the long run if you start to take it seriously I didn't know i was going to enjoy shooting so much, so i started on the low end of the spectrum not knowing what kind of equipment was out there.

some of the guys in here have 10,000+ dollars invested in this hobby/occupation, so it just goes to show how deep you can get. And to all those people, they feel the money is very justified for the quality they can get out of the equipment.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #31
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

If you want to shoot raw and be able to interchange lenses without wanting the bulkiness of a dSLR, you can also look into the micro 4/3rds systems like the Olympus Pen.
      05-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #32
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
thanks for the responses all...
I know this could easily be an expensive hobby....I think I may look into a realy high end point and shoot until I'm ready to make the jump!
      05-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #33
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the responses all...
I know this could easily be an expensive hobby....I think I may look into a realy high end point and shoot until I'm ready to make the jump!
that's a fine choice. Just when you're ready, be ready to jump in fully

nice thing is, if you start with the point and shoot, keep the point and shoot when you do eventually make the jump to DSLR, it's nice to have one for those rare times you're not willing to carry the big stuff.

like walking through a ghetto

or out on a kayaking trip (which i still do bring one camera and 1 lens, but they go in a dry bag strapped to the boat so if i capsize, it stays attached to the boat which is still floating)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #34
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
that's a fine choice. Just when you're ready, be ready to jump in fully

nice thing is, if you start with the point and shoot, keep the point and shoot when you do eventually make the jump to DSLR, it's nice to have one for those rare times you're not willing to carry the big stuff.

like walking through a ghetto

or out on a kayaking trip (which i still do bring one camera and 1 lens, but they go in a dry bag strapped to the boat so if i capsize, it stays attached to the boat which is still floating)
thanks....I currently have a P&S camera that I use for snapping away...my Old Canon S2is recently took a dump and I know cameras have came a long way since my S2....I really liked the fact that I could change the settings quite a bit in manual mode much more so than my powershot point and shoot
      05-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #35
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
thanks....I currently have a P&S camera that I use for snapping away...my Old Canon S2is recently took a dump and I know cameras have came a long way since my S2....I really liked the fact that I could change the settings quite a bit in manual mode much more so than my powershot point and shoot
I heard the old S2's were great. shame when stuff finally goes.

I guess it's just a way for you to update though
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #36
Weebl
Weebl wobbles but eats Pie
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 d,2008 335i, 2000 740i

Quote:
Dingdingdingdingding we have a WINNER!
Look up Canon Loyalty Program, you get a refurb camera at less than the normal refurb pricing. Depending on which representative you get they will offer you different cameras. People have been offered 5Dmk II cameras when turning in a P/S.
It must be not working, so if it kind of works. You will need to remedy that before sending it in.
RAW pictures will make you happy, you can fix drastic errors in processing. JPEGs are limited in what you can fix.
If you have school age kids then look up Adobe educational discounts. A great benefit for parents.
2000 740i-Annalisa (sold 2018) 2008 335i-Weebl. Weebl may wobble but has DTC 2012 X5d in Sparkling Bronze ( The Ultimate Cat Carrying Machine)-RIP BMW buyback 2019:2017 A3, 2018 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #37
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

FYI, the 5DMKII is no longer offered as part of the loyalty program. But the 7D is still available.
      05-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #38
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Canon's G-series is a great way to test your seriousness. If you end up "graduating" to a real "prosumer", like the Canon 7D or 5D MkII, then the controls will be a bit familiar. Nikon has a great high-end P&S also.

Generally, I say stick with Canon or Nikon if you think that you might get serious. They have the best selection of "reasonably priced" lens and a large number of dslr body selections.

Dave
      05-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #39
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Are used camera's a good idea? I figure getting a used Canon DLSR might be a good way to save some dough...any places to get said used cameras?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #40
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:

some of the guys in here have 10,000+ dollars invested in this hobby/occupation, so it just goes to show how deep you can get. And to all those people, they feel the money is very justified for the quality they can get out of the equipment.
Passed that benchmark a while back...
      05-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #41
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Passed that benchmark a while back...
haha, me to damnit.....

You almost did it with 1 lens though

and to Infinitykid, buying used its a great way to save money. Just do your research on the product. Once some of the pro level bodies start hitting the stores in the next 6 or so months, expect to see a lot of current and really good cameras up for sale.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #42
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Are used camera's a good idea? I figure getting a used Canon DLSR might be a good way to save some dough...any places to get said used cameras?
craigslist, test before you buy. Plus you'll meet some crazy people.

I prefer www.keh.com.
      05-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #43
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
I never knew about the Canon loyalty program....I will definitely look into that ASAP...

Obviously, I still have a lot to learn and am very excited ...
WRT Adobe, I already have CS5 master suite ed from a buddy now I just need some high quality photos to edit

Im going to call Canon tomorrow......I think I may also have one of their older cameras that my mom bought me back in the late 90's lol... and an older A series camera..
      05-23-2011, 11:54 PM   #44
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
haha, me to damnit.....

You almost did it with 1 lens though