2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 2012 550i Drivetrain Malfunction

12-12-2021, 11:03 PM   #1
Welvy
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

2012 550i Drivetrain Malfunction

Does anyone know a possibility of why I'd get be getting a drivetrain malfunction. I put the car in sport and everything and I'm using maybe 40% throttle and it says the malfunction and pulls back on power. Anyone had this problem?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 08:37 AM   #2
dunbarron
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

I just went through this myself, check coils, spark plugs, guibo and rear diff mount. Mine turned out to be guibo was damaged and rear diff mount was bad. Check to see if idle vibrations are higher then normal.
Appreciate 1
Welvy0.00
      12-14-2021, 08:45 AM   #3
Welvy
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunbarron View Post
I just went through this myself, check coils, spark plugs, guibo and rear diff mount. Mine turned out to be guibo was damaged and rear diff mount was bad. Check to see if idle vibrations are higher then normal.
The funny thing is sometimes it'll idle lower than normal. Sometimes it'll idle at 500rpm and other it's at 800rpm. It also sometimes has a little hesitation in starting the car. It'll start but it takes a little
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 10:24 PM   #4
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Lesson for anyone who owns or buys ANY N63 engine based car, invest in a decent OBD code reader. These engines are notorious and there are tons of threads/forum entries/FB groups/Youtube videos on all the issues ppl have seen. And this is beyond the CCP and the Bang Settlement which enabled some ppl to get new/refurb'ed engines.

DTM could mean a lot of different things, and that is why you should try to pull the codes first.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 02:40 PM   #5
Welvy
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
Lesson for anyone who owns or buys ANY N63 engine based car, invest in a decent OBD code reader. These engines are notorious and there are tons of threads/forum entries/FB groups/Youtube videos on all the issues ppl have seen. And this is beyond the CCP and the Bang Settlement which enabled some ppl to get new/refurb'ed engines.

DTM could mean a lot of different things, and that is why you should try to pull the codes first.
That's true, I'll get a code scanner as soon as it comes up again because I can force it to come up if I push the car. I haven't put the pedal to the floor yet because it'll come up. But when I cut the car off and turn it back on it's gone
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 12:29 AM   #6
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welvy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post

That's true, I'll get a code scanner as soon as it comes up again because I can force it to come up if I push the car. I haven't put the pedal to the floor yet because it'll come up. But when I cut the car off and turn it back on it's gone
I'd still get that reader asap for around $100 (or get ISTA setup) and check those faults. It could be something simple that is slowly going that causes additional items to go.

For example, running a dying fuel pump could result in damaged injectors, something that costs a couple hundred in parts could turn to a couple thousands in parts (this is just an example to show the severity).

9 times out of 10 it's a simple fix, if you own a N63 then you should have a reader and deep pockets, believe me as I would know but I am also pushing the limits. Your issue could be as simple as a loose intake pipe or bad plug, running it hard or not over time it will slowly break down other components. Just my two cents
Upgraded 51mm turbos, Heatsync Stage 3 Flash, JB4 stacked, BMS WMI, Arm Charge Pipes, Heatsync Catless DPs, X-Pipe, Res Muffler Delete, xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash, Turbosmart Diverter Valves, 3.5 TMAPs, Oil Cooler, Heatsync Front Mounted Max Cool Intakes, Walbro LPFP and e40 mix rollin on Stance SF07 9x20 w/Toyo Extensa and 10.5x20 w/Toyo R888R.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 10:11 AM   #7
dannymaassen
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i Xdrive

Garage List
You could also try Carly app on your phone, it works great for me
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 05:56 PM   #8
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Get bimmerlink
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 06:52 AM   #9
Ekohler2424
United_States
Rep

I had a couple drivetrain malfunctions, one was failing high pressure fuel pump and the other was a faulty spark plug. Terrifying though since it seemed like the transmission just dropped out while merging on the highway. In reality its just "limp mode" to limit power and protect the engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 07:06 AM   #10
Ekohler2424
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550bye View Post
I'd still get that reader asap for around $100 (or get ISTA setup) and check those faults. It could be something simple that is slowly going that causes additional items to go.

For example, running a dying fuel pump could result in damaged injectors, something that costs a couple hundred in parts could turn to a couple thousands in parts (this is just an example to show the severity).

9 times out of 10 it's a simple fix, if you own a N63 then you should have a reader and deep pockets, believe me as I would know but I am also pushing the limits. Your issue could be as simple as a loose intake pipe or bad plug, running it hard or not over time it will slowly break down other components. Just my two cents
550bye, I see you've done quite a bit to your 550. I Imagine some issues along the way, but any significant problems you experienced? I have 2013 550 with just Dinan tune and high flow DPs. I'm curious about upgrading turbos, but have no idea how tuning would work in order to make use of them. Also don't want to blow my engine and don't know what else is needed to mitigate associated problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 11:24 PM   #11
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekohler2424 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550bye View Post

550bye, I see you've done quite a bit to your 550. I Imagine some issues along the way, but any significant problems you experienced? I have 2013 550 with just Dinan tune and high flow DPs. I'm curious about upgrading turbos, but have no idea how tuning would work in order to make use of them. Also don't want to blow my engine and don't know what else is needed to mitigate associated problems.
As long as you manage your maintenance and resolve any issues that pop up along the way you will be okay. I definitely think you will need a flash to get everything out of the upgraded turbos though, you should hit up Percell with Heatsync, he has turbos and can set you up with a nice tune for your setup specifically plus he's an awesome help.
Upgraded 51mm turbos, Heatsync Stage 3 Flash, JB4 stacked, BMS WMI, Arm Charge Pipes, Heatsync Catless DPs, X-Pipe, Res Muffler Delete, xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash, Turbosmart Diverter Valves, 3.5 TMAPs, Oil Cooler, Heatsync Front Mounted Max Cool Intakes, Walbro LPFP and e40 mix rollin on Stance SF07 9x20 w/Toyo Extensa and 10.5x20 w/Toyo R888R.
Appreciate 0