E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > INFINITI G35 DISSING BMW 330i

06-07-2005, 01:19 PM   #67
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
on a constructive note BMW is putting on a driving event where we get to test the G35, 330, A4 on what looks to be an autocross type track. I'll be testing the 3 on july 9th in san francisco.

hopefully some others are signed up for similar events in other locations and we can all compare notes
Nice! Too bad it doesn't look like they're bringing this to the northeast. But, take some pics and post a write-up if you have the chance. Interested in hearing more about how the cars really stack up when driven back-to-back; that's the best way to really compare them, not to mention that you'll get to really test the limits of each of those cars on the autocross track. :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2005, 02:53 PM   #68
jiggax23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe
Making sweeping statements like "The Japanese are just thieves" and "The Japanese don't come up with anything on their own" is the troll-like behavior.

Why are such people allowed to make such sweeping and unsubstantiated claims and I get called a troll for questioning their statements and ultimately where they come from?

Just because this is a BMW forum and they are for BMW...does that make it ok to post such stupidity?
i dont think anyone is pointing fingers at anyone, or singling out any person here for being a "troll". i think he's talking about some of the things said on this thread in general. don't get all defensive. i see where u are coming from, and i pretty much agree with you on most if not all of the issues in questions, but dont get overly defensive.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2005, 02:56 PM   #69
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

I don't think I called the japanese car's theives, I just don't think they're as good, even at a discount price compared to the germans. I've driven them all and like the BMW the best. what comment do you have such an issue with?????????
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2005, 03:35 PM   #70
dpinto1
Rep
Drives: 04 Volvo R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3
BTW, horsepower numbers mean nothing, since alot of them are inflated (espcialy from the japanese manufaturers--notably nissan, not honda). an e46 330i with its 235hp will take on a G35 with its ~270hp.

German cars always give conservative numbers, and the numbers are all at the crank anyways. BMWs have especialy efficient drivetrains, so our RWHP is much higher then you would think. In the real world, the older engine G35 is about equal or slower then a e46-330i.

Its yet to be seen what the new 330i would be like in real life, but most likely equal to or faster then the 280-295hp infiniti. Hope some more real world stories start popping up soon like jiggax said, its no match, which makes sense

after all, my freekin e46-325i (2.5l) was even with the almighty G35 on a 40-110mph run. pathetic on infinitis part for a car with like 60 more hp then mine on paper.
The auto G35 would beat your 325 the 6speed would destroy it.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2005, 03:57 PM   #71
wannabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i e93 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
I don't think I called the japanese car's theives, I just don't think they're as good, even at a discount price compared to the germans. I've driven them all and like the BMW the best. what comment do you have such an issue with?????????
ward, I apologize. I read over your posts and didn't see what I thought I saw before.

You never said the Japanese weren't innovators...I think it was mostly pharding.

Again, sorry. I didn't mean to lump you in with pharding.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2005, 04:03 PM   #72
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

cool, and heck, there's probably lots of japanese engineers working for german companies and vice versa, good companies look for good engineers. I think different companies place different enphasis on innovation, and what type of innovation but it's certainly not a racial thing, it's a business decision
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2005, 04:07 PM   #73
wannabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i e93 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggax23
i dont think anyone is pointing fingers at anyone, or singling out any person here for being a "troll". i think he's talking about some of the things said on this thread in general. don't get all defensive. i see where u are coming from, and i pretty much agree with you on most if not all of the issues in questions, but dont get overly defensive.
Sorry, I just feel like I'm alone in this forum. I don't hear other people speaking up when some really stupid comments are made.

So many people on this forum think the BMW invented EVERYTHING and that all other car makers just suck and add nothing to the "driving experience". It would be nice for some of you guys that agree with me to speak up and help these people know that it is not the truth.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2005, 04:47 PM   #74
jiggax23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe
Sorry, I just feel like I'm alone in this forum. I don't hear other people speaking up when some really stupid comments are made.

So many people on this forum think the BMW invented EVERYTHING and that all other car makers just suck and add nothing to the "driving experience". It would be nice for some of you guys that agree with me to speak up and help these people know that it is not the truth.
like i said, i agree with mostly what u have to say, but i didn't wanna chime in and add fuel to the fire.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2005, 06:52 AM   #75
johnfkitchen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323is & 330i

Getting back to the origins of this thread, it all started as a comment on Nissan Marketing positioning their product as a BMW wannabe. That's a common marketing practice, to aspire to the leader's position. You don't see BMW positioning the 3 series as a wannabe-anything. Of course. Leaders don't do that. In fact, I think the Nissan advertising is in bad taste, but I'm not their target market.

Keep calm, a Nissan isn't a BMW even if it has more horsepower or taller doors. Maybe you'd feel better if you think of this advertising as evidence of an inferiority complex. It goes along with the badge engineering. Toyota and Honda also do it. Mazda used to with the Eunos. These companies make fine cars. This community, with some exceptions, feels passionate about BMWs.

Having said that, I think I'll go and dial that 800 number for the twentieth time today to see if my delivery date has changed.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2005, 04:14 AM   #76
apex188
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

I'm new to the site, but this debate between the G35 and the E90 is very very interesting. My freind has a G35. great power, crappy interior. I wasn't too impressed with it considering all the hype about the horsepower of it. I drove the E90 once and have now bought it. Something the BMW's have that no other car has. Also, I'm not too fond of getting a car from a company that almost went bankrupt a few years ago only to be bailed out by Renault. Anyone can make horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2005, 12:02 AM   #77
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Very Well

I guess I am as much to blame as anyone. I am about 6 weeks out from taking delivery of my first BMW. I am absolutely euphoric on the thought of taking delivery.

I have driven VW's for the last 14 years...only 'cause I couldn't afford a Bimmer. I could have driven other imports...but there just is a special "je ne sais quois" I get in driving European cars. It is almost hard to describe.

I never would buy a domestic. I think they are plain old sh**!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2005, 09:31 AM   #78
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

As if their recent marketing ploys aren't bad enough, Infiniti is going to have a field day with this new Road & Track test of the E90 330i, where the car gets a 6.2 zero to sixty time.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2005, 09:39 AM   #79
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg
As if their recent marketing ploys aren't bad enough, Infiniti is going to have a field day with this new Road & Track test of the E90 330i, where the car gets a 6.2 zero to sixty time.
Here are the stats pulled from the article. R&T usually has some of the slower times among the car magazines tho if I remember correctly.

E90 330i - 6-speed manual
0-60: 6.2 seconds
1/4 mile: 14.9 @ 94.1 mph
0-100: 16.9 seconds
Skidpad: 0.83g
Slalom: 66.6 mph
80-0 braking: 209 ft

Car & Driver on the other hand got a 5.6 0-60 back in April

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=3

Anyways, this car isn't a traffic light to traffic light drag racer, it comes to life at higher speeds.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2005, 11:18 AM   #80
bmw330ipty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Porsche Cayenne

also, doesnt the mileage of the car affect its 0-60 times? Maybe the Road and track had a car with very low miles and the engine wasnt at its prime power.

Maybe the car and driver 330 already had more than 3000 miles and was already properly broken in resulting in the major time difference?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2005, 11:59 PM   #81
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Very Well

One of the most hallowed of all characteristics of BMW's is the precise steering and handling that is Carrera like. I'm surprised at only .83 g's on the pad. Explanations anyone?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2005, 12:16 PM   #82
Accounting4Speed
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Anyone else feel as though the Infiniti interior is cheap? My father boughta QX56 cause he wanted a change from a Lexus LX470. Well, needless to say he has been very disappointed with his purchase. The interior not only feels cheap it doesn't last. IMHO I think BMW outshines with it's classy interior and use of more quality components. That's why I think Inifiniti puts together such a "comparable" car in their mind, it has lops of horsepower and some ok electronics, but it is not the same quality, ingenuity, and design.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2005, 12:27 PM   #83
bcaslis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 330i

Hey another Oregonian!

I've never owned a G35 but I looked at them briefly while looking at the 330i. I ended up never driving one since the dealer didn't have any manuals. I was also really, really surprised and turned off by the sales guys. They seemed very high pressure and wouldn't give you any room to breathe just to look at the cars. The final straw for me was their incredible need to slam BMW. Every other sentence was how they have hired people from BMW and that BMWs break down all the time. Even telling them that my BMW hasn't had a problem in four years couldn't get them to shut up about it. I've never heard a BMW salesperson I've talked to act like they just had to slam the competition so much. Even the Acura salespeople I talked were much lower key and professional than the infiniti place I went to. After that it really didn't matter whether the cars were good or not, I just didn't want to deal with them.
      09-25-2005, 01:39 PM   #84
selm
Fight On!
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex188
I'm new to the site, but this debate between the G35 and the E90 is very very interesting. My freind has a G35. great power, crappy interior. I wasn't too impressed with it considering all the hype about the horsepower of it. I drove the E90 once and have now bought it. Something the BMW's have that no other car has. Also, I'm not too fond of getting a car from a company that almost went bankrupt a few years ago only to be bailed out by Renault. Anyone can make horsepower.
I used to drive the slow but still fun G20t with a 5 speed. I take good care of my cars and the leather of the G20 at 70000 miles looked very worn, a little cracked, and killed my resale value. But, liking the Infiniti service and the dealers, I decided to test drive a 325i with the sport package as the only option, and the G35 6 speed with all of its standard features. While the G35 may beat the 325i in road tests, I choose to ED a 325i with ZSP as the only option over the G35.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2005, 02:40 PM   #85
MBChariot
HESSEN///M3
Panama
Rep
Drives: TIag E46 ///M3

WOW! This has been an interesting thread. I can only speak from my personal experience. I used to swear by Japanese automobiles before I moved to Germany back in 2003, I said no matter what I stick to Japanese cars. That changed very quickly, to say that Mercedes are used as taxi, is no different than american cars used in states to do the same thing. I am not saying that I will always stick to BMW because I like Lexus as well but BMW has definately set the benchmark for me as to what a car should feel like.

"A6 direction Saarbrücken"
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2005, 04:24 PM   #86
Ioman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 C4S

I find the G35 styling to be rather mundane IMO. The curves aren't there, and there is nothing that makes me feel as if the G35 is as sporty as the 330i. As far as reliability, I would probably bet on the Infiniti over the BMW, sorry guys. I would never own a BMW for longer than 4 years personally.

As for the interior and feel, the G35 does feel like a Nissan to me, it doesn't feel like a different brand. I have owned an Infiniti I30T, Mazda RX8 and currently have a 330i and a Nissan Murano.
      09-25-2005, 04:57 PM   #87
Accounting4Speed
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

I think that the BMW will remain reliable for more than 4 years. My father took posession of a new QX56 as soon as they came out and here is a list of the components that stopped working within the first month of ownership.

- Faulty fuel gauge.
- Transmission malfunction.
- Rear camera malfunction.
- Brake rotors replaced because use of adaptive cruise control warped them.

I think more of the reliability is when you buy a car. If you buy the very first model year, I think you are bound to run into more problems than the next production run. Manufacturers tend to sort out the gremlins over time. But based on this experience, i'd never invest my money in a car that basically sees what manufacturers are duing in europe and copies them with a less effective and cheaper model.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2005, 05:06 PM   #88
mreloc
Private
Rep
Drives: E93, past: E90, E46, E36, E30

Don't care what they say. Bought a G35 with the manual trans two years ago and returned the car under the Michigan Lemon Law. Transmission would grind repeatedly going from first to second gear. Replaced transmission twice and couldn't correct. Very nice service experience, however. Bought a honda accord to tie me over until the new 3 series came out- ordered last Monday! Now gotta sell the hounda!
Appreciate 0