Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > How bad is it to drive on bald tires?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #23
rvladescu
Canada
Rep
Drives: 440 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringsmewomen
Is it really dangerous? I live in SoCal... I'm guessing on dry road it's not too bad, ya?

In the rain, prob horrible.
Only if it rains or snows. Having bald tires on dry road is actually safer since you have more contact patch.

It is also more fuel efficient.
Are you for real? This advice is the most ridiculous advice. If you have nothing good to say than don't say nothing
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #24
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
Only if it rains or snows. Having bald tires on dry road is actually safer since you have more contact patch.

It is also more fuel efficient.
This is 100% not true and one of the most rediculous things i have ever heard on a forum. Where did you get this information? Because that person needs to be shot.

Bald tires INCREASE stopping distance tremendously. In a abrupt stopping event this can be the difference in a minor fender bender and seriously destroying your car, the car you hit and hurting yourself and the person you hit.

Please do everyone a favor and stop posting incorrect information, or atleast research it before you stick your foot in your mouth
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #25
project6
TOML Rescue
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
Its like having sex with a girl that you know that has stds and you dont use protection ( rubber). At the end you will be fuc*ed
Now why would you have sex with a girl knowing she has STDs???

Even with protection...that's just gross!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #26
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

first, the definition of "bald" is different depending on who you asks. It can range from completely bald (no treads) to something marginal and less serious (at or near 2/32').

At 2/32' (with personal experience), you get better fuel economy, better handling, and traction in dry conditions.

if you watch racing (or done some track time), where constant acceleration and braking are done and performance is measure in how quickly the cars get up to speed and stop, you will notice they use what we defined as "bald" tires in dry conditions.

The only reason tread-ed tires are used is for convenience and financial reasons. Obviously, we don't want, or have the money, to mount and dis-mount tires whenever it rains.

you cannot make a blanket statement saying "bald" tires are bad. It really depends on the weather and road conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
This is 100% not true and one of the most rediculous things i have ever heard on a forum. Where did you get this information? Because that person needs to be shot.

Bald tires INCREASE stopping distance tremendously. In a abrupt stopping event this can be the difference in a minor fender bender and seriously destroying your car, the car you hit and hurting yourself and the person you hit.

Please do everyone a favor and stop posting incorrect information, or atleast research it before you stick your foot in your mouth
      02-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #27
s2slow206
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Alpine White

Quote:
first, the definition of "bald" is different depending on who you asks. It can range from completely bald (no treads) to something marginal and less serious (at or near 2/32').

At 2/32' (with personal experience), you get better fuel economy, better handling, and traction in dry conditions.

if you watch racing (or done some track time), where constant acceleration and braking are done and performance is measure in how quickly the cars get up to speed and stop, you will notice they use what we defined as "bald" tires in dry conditions.

The only reason tread-ed tires are used is for convenience and financial reasons. Obviously, we don't want, or have the money, to mount and dis-mount tires whenever it rains.

you cannot make a blanket statement saying "bald" tires are bad. It really depends on the weather and road conditions.
The tires you see race car drivers driving on are usually R-compounds or some sort of track tires which is compeletly different then normal street tires. Plus they get changed out so many times during a race. Also for those tires to grip it has to be in a certain temperature, temperatures you will never get to on the streets unless you are putting your life and others at risk. Plus there are some tires that can do double duty, but you have to replace as necessary for them to be able to do their job which is to keep your car on the road and not in the ditch or wall.

Don't be stupid and make sure your tires are in good condition, not only the amount of thread left but how long ago was the tire made. Tires become weaker the longer they are exposed to the elements.
      02-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #28
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:

So you are saying that racing slicks are equivalent to bald street tires? And that fuel milage, and dry handling is better with 2/32" vs. 10/32" - even though the OD of the tire is less?

Sounds like uninformed BS on both counts. But, perhaps Gary could comment on this thread...

Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #29
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
I don't get why everyone is freaking out, if there's no cords showing the tires will be just fine on dry ground just be careful in the rain, but you should probably get some new ones. When my tires were gone I had a blast in the rain. No tread + LSD = funnnn

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #30
achien
AC
Canada
Rep

If your tires have no tread, they can't get water out under-neath the tires (which gets your car aquaplane) regardless of what rubber compounds they are made of.

In terms of tire temperatures, even the street tires need to get up to temperature before they "grips" improve.

Agree in terms of the age of the tires, the rubber compounds "hardened" over time. The more extreme the temperature change (i.e. Toronto: which can range from -30 C to +35 C), the sooner the rubber "hardens".

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2slow206 View Post
The tires you see race car drivers driving on are usually R-compounds or some sort of track tires which is compeletly different then normal street tires. Plus they get changed out so many times during a race. Also for those tires to grip it has to be in a certain temperature, temperatures you will never get to on the streets unless you are putting your life and others at risk. Plus there are some tires that can do double duty, but you have to replace as necessary for them to be able to do their job which is to keep your car on the road and not in the ditch or wall.

Don't be stupid and make sure your tires are in good condition, not only the amount of thread left but how long ago was the tire made. Tires become weaker the longer they are exposed to the elements.
      02-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #31
achien
AC
Canada
Rep

only in terms of tread-depths (or lack of it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
So you are saying that racing slicks are equivalent to bald street tires? And that fuel milage, and dry handling is better with 2/32" vs. 10/32" - even though the OD of the tire is less?

Sounds like uninformed BS on both counts. But, perhaps Gary could comment on this thread...

Tom
      02-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #32
s2slow206
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Alpine White

Quote:
If your tires have no tread, they can't get water out under-neath the tires (which gets your car aquaplane) regardless of what rubber compounds they are made of.

In terms of tire temperatures, even the street tires need to get up to temperature before they "grips" improve.

Agree in terms of the age of the tires, the rubber compounds "hardened" over time. The more extreme the temperature change (i.e. Toronto: which can range from -30 C to +35 C), the sooner the rubber "hardens".
Yes you hydroplane, that is why they have rain tires for when it rains. They also can change the tires in seconds and not all of us here have a second set of rims and tires sitting in the trunk in case it does rain.

Street tires don't need to get to the tempertaure levels of race tires, this was the point I was trying to say.

Overall, change your tires when it is at its wear mark go beyond that and you are only endangering your safety. I am not saying you will crash or have a tire blow out the second you hit the wear mark, but it is there for a reason. Drive on it for a few days until your new tires comes in sure that's perfectly fine. Want to drive it until the you can't see the threads anymore, that I would highly not recommend. It's your car so do as you see fit, these are only opinions
      02-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #33
rvladescu
Canada
Rep
Drives: 440 GC

For the people trying to explain to achien stop trying not worth the effort 2/32 is illegal for a reason that is it
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #34
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:

I'm late to this party but ^this is a complete failure!
You my friend have NO IDEA what the hell you are talking about!
Appreciate 0