BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 rear-ended. Can this be repaired?

10-18-2019, 10:56 PM   #23
djxilo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 550xi, 2019 X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Glad it could be resolved early on with a total loss and no one getting hurt, will be much easier to deal with on your part than having the car endlessly worked on and fixed.

Are you planning on another X7? I noticed you had a 50i so I wonder if you're going to go with the M50i now that its the only V8 model available.
The wife said the 50i wasn't fast enough so it looks like we'll need to upgrade to the M50i

In all seriousness though, a similarly spec'd M50i will cost just about the same as the 50i, so I can't think of any reason not to get it? The only downside is that the bench seats with Tartufo are no longer an option, so we may end up waiting until December when the new seating/interior options are introduced.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50
      10-19-2019, 05:25 AM   #24
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxilo View Post
Thank you all for your advice and support. The repair estimates (based on what could be observed) came out to around $40k.

Luckily, insurance has deemed the vehicle a total loss. My claims representative mentioned that they would likely uncover additional structural/mechanical damage once they start taking apart the car, and that it would be difficult to restore the vehicle back to its original condition. Getting BMW to honor the original factory warranty could also be a challenge.

All that being said, I'm grateful that no one was seriously hurt. The at-fault vehicle was a commercial pickup carrying a load of counter-tops. Probably pushing 10-12,000 lbs, if I had to guess. The x7 did it's job and kept the wifey safe.

It's a shame that we only got to put 2,000 miles on the clock, but this is probably the best path forward.
Glad their logic was sound and they did you right. Best possible outcome all around
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 05:54 AM   #25
Brukes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328ix / 2020 X7 40i

Glad everyone is alright as well.

Out of curiosity, what are they compensating you on a total loss (as a % of MSRP)?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 08:01 AM   #26
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Thank you all for your advice and support. The repair estimates (based on what could be observed) came out to around $40k.

Luckily, insurance has deemed the vehicle a total loss. My claims representative mentioned that they would likely uncover additional structural/mechanical damage once they start taking apart the car, and that it would be difficult to restore the vehicle back to its original condition. Getting BMW to honor the original factory warranty could also be a challenge.

All that being said, I'm grateful that no one was seriously hurt. The at-fault vehicle was a commercial pickup carrying a load of counter-tops. Probably pushing 10-12,000 lbs, if I had to guess. The x7 did it's job and kept the wifey safe.

It's a shame that we only got to put 2,000 miles on the clock, but this is probably the best path forward.
Good outcome, I guess you get another X7
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #27
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brukes View Post

Out of curiosity, what are they compensating you on a total loss (as a % of MSRP)?
I ask differently do you have GAP insurance? If so it will cover any difference in case there is
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 08:08 AM   #28
Brukes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post
Quote:

I ask differently do you have GAP insurance? If so it will cover any difference in case there is
GAP insurance only pays out the difference between what's owed and ACV.

If you what's owed is significantly below ACV, you're a bit screwed because GAP does not apply and the ACV can be significantly below replacement cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 08:32 AM   #29
djxilo
Private
Rep

Quote:

They paid out based on an "agreed value" of the car which is very close to what I originally paid. I decided to take this offer as opposed to negotiating with the at fault party's insurance which would have openend up another can of worms. Premium will likely go up but I think I'll still be better off on a cost/benefit basis.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #30
Brukes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

They paid out based on an "agreed value" of the car which is very close to what I originally paid. I decided to take this offer as opposed to negotiating with the at fault party's insurance which would have openend up another can of worms. Premium will likely go up but I think I'll still be better off on a cost/benefit basis.
Got it - thanks for the info; that's a good outcome (all around).
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #31
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Unfortunately we own it. A total loss would be ideal but it'll be an uphill battle since the ACV is so high. There does seem to be some frame and drivetrain damage which could compromise the overall integrity/drive-ability of the vehicle, no matter how good the repair.
Although I am not a believer in litigation, in this case if they will not total the car I would have it fixed and immediately trade it in on a new X7 and sue for personal injury to the extent that it makes you whole on the purchase of the new X7.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #32
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
agreed value is a nice rider i've seen offered by chubb and others. they basically tell you for the entire term of your coverage (say oct 2019 through oct 2020) what your car's replacement value is for that entire term.

reduces anxiety over them offering a fair price in a situation like this.

having said that, it's not free. its on average 50-150 bucks for a vehicle like this for a one year term.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #33
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Also, she noticed the headrest "popped" out immediately upon impact. Not sure if this is a safety feature by design but seemed a little dangerous to me.
Yes, this is by design.
This feature is called "Active Headrest" and it reduces neck injuries in rear end collisions. So it was working exactly as designed in your case.

More info here:
https://carbiketech.com/active-headrest/

And this was the original press release when this feature was first available in 2007.
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/a...language=en_US
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #34
djxilo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Yes, this is by design.
This feature is called "Active Headrest" and it reduces neck injuries in rear end collisions. So it was working exactly as designed in your case.

More info here:
https://carbiketech.com/active-headrest/

And this was the original press release when this feature was first available in 2007.
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/a...language=en_US
Thanks for sharing. Good to know!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 07:40 PM   #35
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Sounds like everything's turning out just about as good as it could be for you. Hope you get a new X7 that's just the way you want it!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 01:33 AM   #36
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Thank God everyone is okay. Looks like the X7 held up very well considering the size of the truck that hit it. I would think a vehicle as big as a Ford F-550 loaded with equipment would have crumbled the entire rear section of the X7 including the 3rd and second row seating.

I would love to have the seats in that X7 since we can't get that color on the 2020 models unless you order the 2nd row Captain Chairs.

Good luck and I hope you get a new X7 with everything you want on it.
Appreciate 1
alamai1.50
      10-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #37
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post
Quote:

GAP insurance only pays out the difference between what's owed and ACV.

If you what's owed is significantly below ACV, you're a bit screwed because GAP does not apply and the ACV can be significantly below replacement cost.
Correct, perhaps so was not clear I assumed he might have payments and since he just got the car he barely paid for it. In this case if needed GAP would work in other cases as you mentioned would not.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 10:45 PM   #38
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M- 40i

I have a 2019 X5 40I that was rear ended today. Not quite as bad as your vehicle. But I’m concerned about the price of the parts as they will add up. I guess I will see the next couple days how it plays out.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 10:51 PM   #39
djxilo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbmwguy View Post
I have a 2019 X5 40I that was rear ended today. Not quite as bad as your vehicle. But I’m concerned about the price of the parts as they will add up. I guess I will see the next couple days how it plays out.
Sorry to hear that. Hope everyone is ok. PM me if you want a copy of my repair estimate. Happy to share if it would be of any value to you.
Appreciate 0