BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Dating - Good/Bad Experiences

01-22-2020, 05:42 AM   #5061
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
It's sad and a lost skill. My dad made me beat the cash register for a treat when I was young and it helped me learn to calculate in my head very quickly.

The future is in their hands!!
I learned with an Abacus. I shit you not....it was in these "Project Climb" classes that they took a few of us out of elementary school on certain days to another campus. We got to do a lot of things that were not in the general curriculum in our traditional classes.

We also learned "Left to Right math" where after some work, you could do a lot of stuff mentally very quickly....although I have forgotten the concepts now.
      01-22-2020, 06:00 AM   #5062
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
It's sad and a lost skill. My dad made me beat the cash register for a treat when I was young and it helped me learn to calculate in my head very quickly.

The future is in their hands!!
When we were kids, every night at the dinner table, my father would pick one of us (4 siblings) and call out a number. We had to do the multiplication tables to the beat of his hand on the table. Talk about pressure. I'll be damned, we can do math on the fly. And my father, still at 80, can run his finger down a page with 30, 40 numbers on it and total faster than any calculator.
      01-22-2020, 06:55 AM   #5063
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I learned with an Abacus. I shit you not....it was in these "Project Climb" classes that they took a few of us out of elementary school on certain days to another campus. We got to do a lot of things that were not in the general curriculum in our traditional classes.

We also learned "Left to Right math" where after some work, you could do a lot of stuff mentally very quickly....although I have forgotten the concepts now.
Too funny...we had those, as well. When my parents were in their PhD program we were the guinea pigs for many an experimental learning program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
When we were kids, every night at the dinner table, my father would pick one of us (4 siblings) and call out a number. We had to do the multiplication tables to the beat of his hand on the table. Talk about pressure. I'll be damned, we can do math on the fly. And my father, still at 80, can run his finger down a page with 30, 40 numbers on it and total faster than any calculator.
Ah yes...the family table math contests. My dad is still the same at 88. When he sees math or any type of statistics he springs to life. It's good but a little disturbing. I never took him for any statistics class but my friends who did say it was an absolute boot camp and they came out not just knowing how to complete the problems but truly understanding formulaic relationships.

Positively tough parents are a boon to all of humanity. Now we get helicopter parents shepherding little darlings to an unrealistic world view and a hair trigger on being offended. Yea?
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15689.50
Rmtt8208.00
      01-22-2020, 07:18 AM   #5064
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Too funny...we had those, as well. When my parents were in their PhD program we were the guinea pigs for many an experimental learning program.

Ah yes...the family table math contests. My dad is still the same at 88. When he sees math or any type of statistics he springs to life. It's good but a little disturbing. I never took him for any statistics class but my friends who did say it was an absolute boot camp and they came out not just knowing how to complete the problems but truly understanding formulaic relationships.

Positively tough parents are a boon to all of humanity. Now we get helicopter parents shepherding little darlings to an unrealistic world view and a hair trigger on being offended. Yea?
I can relate. My parents were both science teachers. I think I still have a deck of periodic table flash cards somewhere. We didn't watch Happy Days; we watched Nova. Got my suitcase-sized chemistry set when I was about 6...and of course immediately took out the vial of mercury and rolled a blob of it around on the floor.
MKSixer34173.50
      01-22-2020, 08:33 AM   #5065
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Oh man it seems like i'd do great in retail after yesterday

went to chase to deposit my jar of coins, mostly pennies. they didn't have a coin counter so they made me count it (i had lots of time yesterday, first day of classes), spending an hour counting literal pennies will teach you a lot
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34173.50
      01-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #5066
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Oh man it seems like i'd do great in retail after yesterday

went to chase to deposit my jar of coins, mostly pennies. they didn't have a coin counter so they made me count it (i had lots of time yesterday, first day of classes), spending an hour counting literal pennies will teach you a lot
Welcome back, Pickle
Rmtt8208.00
      01-22-2020, 08:36 AM   #5067
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
also, was writing down stuff on my post it pad and saw this a few pages down - i could not tell you who it was :I
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
cmyx6go15689.50
Dang3r12508.50
      01-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #5068
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Positively tough parents are a boon to all of humanity.
This. Parents are a proxy for the world, and the world has no mercy for weaklings or dolts.
King Rudi13154.00
      01-22-2020, 08:43 AM   #5069
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
I can relate. My parents were both science teachers. I think I still have a deck of periodic table flash cards somewhere. We didn't watch Happy Days; we watched Nova. Got my suitcase-sized chemistry set when I was about 6...and of course immediately took out the vial of mercury and rolled a blob of it around on the floor.
Dude!! Same thing. Mercury wasn't sooooooo bad!!
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2020, 08:50 AM   #5070
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Unfortunately no....but she has a brother that is 6'5", about 270lbs, and looks like he could be a member of the Duck Dynasty clan.

He does own a very successful business though.

Just keep doing what you are doing....it will happen when you least expect it. I read some of your posts on here, and I was the same way when single. But I wasn't looking for anything serious at that time either. So different week, different girl.

It's when I didn't care about it that it happened.
I really don't think caring/looking not caring/not looking has any bearing on when it happens. That's just something someone made up to feel better back in the day
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #5071
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Stop da fuq my head cinema immediately!
Looks like someone has no sense of humor!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 08:57 AM   #5072
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Dude!! Same thing. Mercury wasn't sooooooo bad!!
And the second thing I did was put everything under the microscope - stuff out of the fridge and kitchen cupboards, dead bugs, dog hair...I was a strange child. But focused as a mf-er.

The mercury didn't affect me at all. The third eye on the side of my head gives me hella peripheral vision. Blindspots? Nope.
MKSixer34173.50
      01-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #5073
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
also, was writing down stuff on my post it pad and saw this a few pages down - i could not tell you who it was :I
first clue: its a woman's handwriting lol
Appreciate 2
Kooch102.00
      01-22-2020, 09:17 AM   #5074
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
I sure hope so......
Rmtt8208.00
      01-22-2020, 09:28 AM   #5075
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
And the second thing I did was put everything under the microscope - stuff out of the fridge and kitchen cupboards, dead bugs, dog hair...I was a strange child. But focused as a mf-er.

The mercury didn't affect me at all. The third eye on the side of my head gives me hella peripheral vision. Blindspots? Nope.
And the hair falling out of my head? It'll grow back!!
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2020, 09:29 AM   #5076
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
I sure hope so......
i hope so too :
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15689.50
Rmtt8208.00
      01-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #5077
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Shit, did I post here complaining already?? I'm sorry. Damn broken record!

Yeah, 2yo kid. But it's not just that... I don't think so anyhow. I sure hope you're right! Anyhow, right now it's dry spells of about 6mo - 1 year. It's just not enough! Got some friends here with kids a similar age, and they're seeing the same thing too though. Man, it sucks!

Thanks for the support anyhow

I've been told there are two things that keep women from wanting to have sex with their partner.

The first is they are Tired. And yes, I meant that with a capital t. Having a young child to take care of can certainly tire her out. Step up and take said child out of her hands for the day and give her some time to sleep. Better yet, take said child for the day and send her to the spa for some rest and relaxation. Do a play date with some of your friends in similar situations. Doing more than "your fair share" pays off big time here.

The second is the sex really isn't that good.

I'm sure none of these are your problem..... just posting for others that might need help.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #5078
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
I've been told there are two things that keep women from wanting to have sex with their partner.

The first is they are Tired. And yes, I meant that with a capital t. Having a young child to take care of can certainly tire her out. Step up and take said child out of her hands for the day and give her some time to sleep. Better yet, take said child for the day and send her to the spa for some rest and relaxation. Do a play date with some of your friends in similar situations. Doing more than "your fair share" pays off big time here.

The second is the sex really isn't that good.

I'm sure none of these are your problem..... just posting for others that might need help.
& the third is they are cheating. (Not saying that is going on here)
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      01-22-2020, 01:35 PM   #5079
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
Well, that makes one of us

I think 'try harder' is the bottom line there...

...work, work, work.

No doubt good advice though, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #5080
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Well, that makes one of us

I think 'try harder' is the bottom line there...

...work, work, work.

No doubt good advice though, thanks.
If memory serves me, the wife asked you to lose a few stone no? Maybe a little weight loss thrown into the mix of giving her some time off might help?

I've been told to lose a few pounds, if I could lose a full stone that would get me trimmed up good I think. Problem is, I really truly hate working out. Really hate it. But if I put my mind to it, I can do it, I just need to be convinced it is important to me.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2020, 02:14 PM   #5081
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

I don't need to lose weight...I just need to get fitter and stronger. Thing is though, the dry spell(s) started way before I was out of shape. I was riding 30 miles a day back then, 5 days a week. And to be honest, that was before we had a kid too. But yeah, it'd never hurt for me to be fitter, and actually I really enjoy going for a run or a ride, once I'm doing it. Some motivation missing though - I'm tired from work and toddler and house projects too.

I have talked to her about it, and the best explanation she's given is that I feel like her family, so therefore she doesn't want to have sex with me. Now I understand that link but...what can I do about that? Be less like her family??

Since having the kid too, she's even less inclined. Almost certainly tiredness, which is understandable. But she says its just made her not want it at all.

So where to go from here? It drives me crazy not getting any, especially because she's right there. I've absolutely no desire to 'force' her to do it, or demand it...but then I will certainly get none. It's a catch 22.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #5082
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
If memory serves me, the wife asked you to lose a few stone no? Maybe a little weight loss thrown into the mix of giving her some time off might help?

I've been told to lose a few pounds, if I could lose a full stone that would get me trimmed up good I think. Problem is, I really truly hate working out. Really hate it. But if I put my mind to it, I can do it, I just need to be convinced it is important to me.
I hate working out too. I was a gym rat in high school, and I've lifted all the barbells and dumbbells I'm ever going to lift. I have to have something fun to do. Or a chore that needs doing. Or a project I've been wanting to start. Find something that's fun or needs doing.

One of the reasons I own my cabin is that there's a fair bit of wooded land and some shoreline there, and I can't stand for things to be messy so I always have work to do. I don't keep every square inch looking like a golf course, but I like it clean at least adjacent to the parts I/we spend time in. Last Saturday I tied a plastic toboggan up to my fatbike and loaded it up with a chainsaw, a gas can, a maul, and a couple of wedges. Pedalled out into the woods to a spot where there was a tree that was dead and leaning against another. Felled it and bucked it, and piled the brush up and called it a day. Got up Sunday and pulled all the chunks back to the splitting shed, one toboggan load at a time - about 2 cords total, so it took me most of the day. This weekend I'll split it all. Silly? Yup. But very rewarding and great all-body exercise. And I didn't have to mingle with a bunch of hairy sweaty douche-nozzles at some poser emporium.
MKSixer34173.50
Dang3r12508.50