BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum P/N Cargo Hatch Storage Tray...

01-23-2020, 07:14 AM   #1
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

P/N Cargo Hatch Storage Tray...

Does anyone on here have the part number for the try pictured below?

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post

I think item #3 in the diagram of the link below is what you are looking for. BMW p/n 51477438984:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_A453

I am assuming that tray does not come with the X7 if you get the space saver spare option from the factory? Although, the parts catalog seems to indicate that it comes with X7's that have the space saver spare.... A quick internet search initially reveals that only non-US vendors can get it, which is interesting (but I have seen this before with some parts only being available overseas).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 01-23-2020 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      01-23-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:

That's my car. It has spare tire option. The rear cover for the luggage area that can be stored in this area is removed. I did not order an accessory for this area.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      01-23-2020, 09:52 AM   #4
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
So how much "crap" can fit in that storage tray (with crap being a relative term obviously). Say for example a set of jumper cables, a tow hitch ball, and possibly a tarp to cover the rear luggage area when transporting dirty stuff. Ironically, this is the "crap" I currently have in a similar underfloor storage tray in my current SUV (Ford Expedition) and what I would want to carry with me in the X7....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
So how much "crap" can fit in that storage tray (with crap being a relative term obviously). Say for example a set of jumper cables, a tow hitch ball, and possibly a tarp to cover the rear luggage area when transporting dirty stuff. Ironically, this is the "crap" I currently have in a similar underfloor storage tray in my current SUV (Ford Expedition) and what I would want to carry with me in the X7....
You'd have to give it a try. Those orange things are snow socks. Below that is a snow brush/scrapper. The pliers are for a tire plug kit. I have a small pump on the right side of luggage compartment in the netting. I moved the first aid kit to go underneath.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      01-23-2020, 12:43 PM   #6
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I think item #3 in the diagram of the link below is what you are looking for. BMW p/n 51477438984
Emailed dealer to see if they can order it and toss it inwhile the vehicle is there. Thank you for the assist once again.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2020, 12:47 PM   #7
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think item #3 in the diagram of the link below is what you are looking for. BMW p/n 51477438984
Emailed dealer to see if they can order it and toss it inwhile the vehicle is there. Thank you for the assist once again.
I don't get why you need to order this. My car came from the factory this way. X7 40i/luxury trim, run flat 21" , with spare tire option. Feb 19 production.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 01:02 PM   #8
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

My vehicle did not come with it. I do not have a spare. I have the carpeted storage area but I would like to utilize the storage tray so items do not slide around in addition increase storage space.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 01:06 PM   #9
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My vehicle did not come with it. I do not have a spare. I have the carpeted storage area but I would like to utilize the storage tray so items do not slide around in addition increase storage space.
Quote:

Got it! I hope the stupid thing is not more than $150. (Cost of spare option).
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 01:29 PM   #10
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

hahaha, same here. i don't think i would pay more than that for a plastic tray.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 02:32 PM   #11
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post
Got it! I hope the stupid thing is not more than $150. (Cost of spare option).
The few overseas vendors I found (which were the only ones I found still) came in right around that price for the tray.....

Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      01-23-2020, 04:25 PM   #12
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Bummer they did not just put it in! Heck you coulda just gotten it free if your dealer ordered non run flat tires. Spare is free when you chose that.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 07:06 PM   #13
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

understood. i want dedicated spring/summer 22". the vehicle was purchased going into winter so the logical thing to do was purchase with the 21" and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:00 PM   #14
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
understood. i want dedicated spring/summer 22". the vehicle was purchased going into winter so the logical thing to do was purchase with the 21" and go from there.
Quote:
Dealers can be such morons! Any manager that does not specify a nearly free spare tire is an idiot.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      01-23-2020, 11:10 PM   #15
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Dealers can be such morons! Any manager that does not specify a nearly free spare tire is an idiot.
Oh I don't know. My Q7 has run flats and a spare. There's a few things I insist on having in my car that I hope I never need. Flashlight, gloves, jumper cables, first aid kit, extra magazines and an extra outfit for my kid just in case...

But I hope to never need these items. So I don't want to see them. I have been able to squeeze this stuff in around my spare tire. But it's far from perfect and I am limited as to how much I can have around the spare. There's only so much room.

I am looking forward to getting my X7 very soon. I can't wait to finally have a storage area that is completely hidden and out of the way. I opted out of the spare tire for just this reason.

I've put 58,000 hard miles on my Q7 in 25 months. Maybe I was lucky but I haven't had a flat yet and I am on my second set of tires. It's time for a new set but I ordered the X7 a month ago and am waiting and hoping for an early February delivery.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:38 PM   #16
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh I don't know. My Q7 has run flats and a spare. There's a few things I insist on having in my car that I hope I never need. Flashlight, gloves, jumper cables, first aid kit, extra magazines and an extra outfit for my kid just in case...

But I hope to never need these items. So I don't want to see them. I have been able to squeeze this stuff in around my spare tire. But it's far from perfect and I am limited as to how much I can have around the spare. There's only so much room.

I am looking forward to getting my X7 very soon. I can't wait to finally have a storage area that is completely hidden and out of the way. I opted out of the spare tire for just this reason.

I've put 58,000 hard miles on my Q7 in 25 months. Maybe I was lucky but I haven't had a flat yet and I am on my second set of tires. It's time for a new set but I ordered the X7 a month ago and am waiting and hoping for an early February delivery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I didn't know you could get a spare on the 2nd gen Q7!

For the x7, spare is no brainer. If you really need the space in that spot, just take it out if you need it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 12:37 AM   #17
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:

For the x7, spare is no brainer. If you really need the space in that spot, just take it out if you need it.
There is no spare option in any Audi vehicles as of the 2019 model year. I shopped the Audi before I bought my BMW X7. There is no place to store a spare tire in the 2019 or 2020 Q7 and you can't order a spare either. Plus, you can only buy an Audi with Run Flat tires.

All these dumb ass automobile manufactures are doing away with spare tire options. Their claim is you don't need one with run flat tires. Plus they say most people don't know how to change a tire anyway. BULL COCKY!!!

I would like to see someone drive away with a side wall tire rupture on a run flat tire! Oh... and lets see someone with that flat find anyone to come out and rescue their ass in the middle of no where on a road trip in Montana or Wyoming when there is no cell service to call for help!

Just remember, no one needs that spare tire until they need that spare tire. Then, when they do need it they won't have it. If all the owner does is drive around town and the suburbs then this is probably less of an issue. I won't even mention the near double cost of run flats and their crappy ride and noise compared to conventional tires.

I take lots of road trips to the middle of no where. So, no spare tire option... No deal for me!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:33 AM   #18
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:

There is no spare option in any Audi vehicles as of the 2019 model year. I shopped the Audi before I bought my BMW X7. There is no place to store a spare tire in the 2019 or 2020 Q7 and you can't order a spare either. Plus, you can only buy an Audi with Run Flat tires.

All these dumb ass automobile manufactures are doing away with spare tire options. Their claim is you don't need one with run flat tires. Plus they say most people don't know how to change a tire anyway. BULL COCKY!!!

I would like to see someone drive away with a side wall tire rupture on a run flat tire! Oh... and lets see someone with that flat find anyone to come out and rescue their ass in the middle of no where on a road trip in Montana or Wyoming when there is no cell service to call for help!

Just remember, no one needs that spare tire until they need that spare tire. Then, when they do need it they won't have it. If all the owner does is drive around town and the suburbs then this is probably less of an issue. I won't even mention the near double cost of run flats and their crappy ride and noise compared to conventional tires.

I take lots of road trips to the middle of no where. So, no spare tire option... No deal for me!
You, my friend, are part of a dying breed when it comes to the idea of the basic need and utility of a spare. And I completely agree with your logic for having a spare, and I will always get one if I can too. On a recent cross-country move from WA to VA, I got a flat on my SUV somewhere in the middle of the country. Fortunately, I was at a gas station to do the change - with the added bonus of having my teenage son with me to teach him the process.

Car manufactures have done their homework and the simple fact is the overwhelming majority of drivers today don't want to deal with changing a flat tire - and current technology easily caters to that desire (tech that was not available way back in the day). They would rather call AAA (or equivalent), or drive on a RFT to the nearest service center and have someone else fix it. And they are willing to pay the extra cost of RFT tires too (although RFT are becoming cheaper now just based on the growing volume in the market).

Gotta love progress. Although for me (and a shrinking minority), there are some old school concepts I still believe in. Having a spare and the training to change a flat is still an important skill set to me because you never know. But then I also made my son learn to drive a stick, and the car I bought him when got his license was a 6MT (I can be real old school about some things.... ).

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:37 AM   #19
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Car manufactures have done their homework and the simple fact is the overwhelming majority of drivers today don't want to deal with changing a flat tire
I believe it is more about cost-cutting and reducing weight to improve mpg. Same with removing cargo covers in most SUV and making them a pay-for option.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:39 AM   #20
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Car manufactures have done their homework and the simple fact is the overwhelming majority of drivers today don't want to deal with changing a flat tire
I believe it is more about cost-cutting and reducing weight to improve mpg. Same with removing cargo covers in most SUV and making them a pay-for option.
I think is definitely part of the equation, but if people really wanted a certain capability (or keep one), the manufactures would find a way to make it happen if it means more profit for them...

Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      01-24-2020, 11:02 AM   #21
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Amen brother! Our x5 first gen had a full size spare! And the full size SUVs still have them too! My pet peeve now is that the storage area in most cars for the little spare tire is not big enough for the tire that you take off the car!
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      01-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #22
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I think is definitely part of the equation, but if people really wanted a certain capability (or keep one), the manufactures would find a way to make it happen if it means more profit for them...
Definitely. It was a free option (iirc) when the 4M Q7 debut. Along with a "free" jack. Then they changed it to a $40 option. Not sure who would not do it for $40. None of the RS4, E46 M3, and E39 M5 neither had a spare and did not have RFT. i purchased a front wheel for both and had a spare in the garage and packed it for road trips. Thankfully never had to use it but what a hassle.
Appreciate 0