BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Tinting Front Windows...

02-07-2020, 07:43 PM   #23
phdhusky
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I know if I went below my state regulation of 35% in the front I'd get pulled over fast...unfortunate.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 10:41 AM   #24
Techworks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Brilliant white m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
My objective is purely aesthetic since our vehicles are always garaged there aren't many other benefits however if you tint the front windows and the windshield you will mitigate a great deal of heat. You do not have to go dark on the windshield you can use a film that is nearly clear but will reduce heat and UV. Crystalline is the best for this (IMO).

http://s-lec.us/soundacousticfilm.html
Is the S-LEC sound acoustic film product applied like a window tinting film? Looking at their site, it appears like a product that gets sandwiched between two pieces of glass. If it could be applied to factory glass, this looks like a really good product. My priorities are probably different than most: 1) noise reduction, 2) heat & UV reduction, 3) aesthetics.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #25
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

I am not familiar with it or if they have an automotive application. It was mentioned to me in a general discussion while I was hanging out the shop.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 12:22 AM   #26
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Another example of 15%:

Did you end up going with Llumar Ceramic 15%? Is this it? My shop uses Llumar Ceramic CTX but I always thought 20% was a better match with the X7 rear windows (no windshield offset), but Llumar only offers 5, 15, 30, 35, 40, and 50 in their CTX line.

I want it to match the rear windows exactly.

I think my E70 X5 came stock with a lighter rear glass so I tinted the front side windows 20% Llumar Metallic and I think 50%? to the back.

With the benefits of ceramic tint I'm wondering if it will be best to tint the whole car or not.

Easier to figure this out when the windows come un-tinted, ugh.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #27
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
Did you end up going with Llumar Ceramic 15%? Is this it? My shop uses Llumar Ceramic CTX but I always thought 20% was a better match with the X7 rear windows (no windshield offset), but Llumar only offers 5, 15, 30, 35, 40, and 50 in their CTX line.

I want it to match the rear windows exactly.

I think my E70 X5 came stock with a lighter rear glass so I tinted the front side windows 20% Llumar Metallic and I think 50%? to the back.

With the benefits of ceramic tint I'm wondering if it will be best to tint the whole car or not.

Easier to figure this out when the windows come un-tinted, ugh.
Personally I think to achieve maximum heat rejection, you must tint the windshield regardless of the shade.

Otherwise the heat coming in from the windshield would be trapped inside by the tint on the sides, acting like a greenhouse effect.

I went with Xpel black 5 front, 20 all the rest and it's 99% match, different angles would slightly show rear darker.

Visibility wise, it's a perfect film, heat rejection and overall performance I would give it a B where my A goes to Solargard, except the later doesn't have a great visibility at day time specially due to the "milky effect, aka low angle haze". Llumar has the same issue but with less visible effects and so does 3M cristiline.
Hence i went with xpel.
Of course this is only applicable for ceramic films.

**Please note I'm not connected, affiliated nor paid by xpel for this review, nor am I promoting my own business or using this product other than for my own personal use.**

To save you the headache, research who are the actual manufacturer of window films, you'll be surprised that there's only 1 or 2 at the moment. For all those big names out there.

And that's my ✌🏻cents. From 25 yrs tint experience
      07-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #28
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
^+1.. I went with 3M Chrystaline on my X7 for maximum heat rejection as it worked well on my M3. I did all windows on my M3 (which did not come with factory tint and no sunroof). But on the X7, since the factory tint does have some heat rejection, I only did the windshield (70%), the front side windows (40%), and I decided to do the sunroof (70%), both front and rear, for some additional heat rejection.

The 40% on the front side windows does not match the factory tint (which is 20%), but I knew that and I am ok with that. The 70% on the windshield was to have some heat rejection to work with the rest of the tint in the car since the windshield is one of the largest pieces of glass on the car and 70% does not compromise visibility, even at night. I decided to put 70% on the sunroof for added heat rejection since it gets even more direct sunlight than any other window on the car (because it is on the roof), and I wanted to be able to have the sun shade open while driving and still have some heat rejection but let the light in.

And for those that are curious, the factory, non-tinted glass is 70% - it says it on the window next to the BMW symbol and other info printed on the glass. So when doing your calculations for how dark you want your windows to be with tint installed, you should take that into account - if you care about it....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 07-04-2020 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
RAJENT59.00
      07-06-2020, 10:02 AM   #29
Kruppa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Comp & 2024 X7

Quote:
I am looking at matching the front windows to the rear. Given the additional light from the windshield I am considering 15% front to match the rears. Anyone on here photos and specs on theirs? What is a perfect match for the front/rear windows?
I am insanely OCD about this as I'm sure you know from past BMW vehicles on this forum. My first step is always getting the stock windows measured at a local inspection station, etc. so you know the baseline you're working with and can do math from there.

Of course there is even variation in rolls of film - a company can calls it's tint 20% but the VLT is really 18% but one roll vs another may be 17% vs 19%. Of course you can't control that and it wouldn't be noticeable to the human eye likely but in case you're wondering why the end result doesn't meter exactly what you thought it's good to know.

If you're keeping it completely stock in rears then yes 15% will likely be the best match. It will still look a little lighter than rear in very direct sunlight but 90% of the time it's perfect. I've seen 10% on the front with stock rear and IMO it looks weird if the front is even a little darker than rear, I'd rather go the other way slightly.

If BMW SUVs continue to use similar glass the best two matches I've found for color etc are Formula One Pinnacle and Xpel Prime XR.

I always go over the rear windows with ~80% tint so the math gets even more fun. Let us know what you end up with! Our X7 is arriving later this week, woohoo!
Appreciate 2
MomoM3981.00
iconoclast7257.50
      07-06-2020, 11:55 AM   #30
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Here goes my setup
With Xpel XR black
Front 5%
All around others 20%
Pan. Roof nothing installed as air 90% was eliminating the sky lounge LED to almost unseeable.

Visibility is absolute perfection in both day and night and long highway trips, that is if you're used to tinted windows.

Picture#5 with driver window open to compare windshield shade.

Those picture from the Inside as you can see are at sunset time and while sun is hitting the windows, so you can see how minimal the LAH is and how clear visibility is.
Attached Images

iconoclast7257.50
      07-07-2020, 10:57 PM   #31
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruppa View Post
I am insanely OCD about this as I'm sure you know from past BMW vehicles on this forum. My first step is always getting the stock windows measured at a local inspection station, etc. so you know the baseline you're working with and can do math from there.

Of course there is even variation in rolls of film - a company can calls it's tint 20% but the VLT is really 18% but one roll vs another may be 17% vs 19%. Of course you can't control that and it wouldn't be noticeable to the human eye likely but in case you're wondering why the end result doesn't meter exactly what you thought it's good to know.

If you're keeping it completely stock in rears then yes 15% will likely be the best match. It will still look a little lighter than rear in very direct sunlight but 90% of the time it's perfect. I've seen 10% on the front with stock rear and IMO it looks weird if the front is even a little darker than rear, I'd rather go the other way slightly.

If BMW SUVs continue to use similar glass the best two matches I've found for color etc are Formula One Pinnacle and Xpel Prime XR.

I always go over the rear windows with ~80% tint so the math gets even more fun. Let us know what you end up with! Our X7 is arriving later this week, woohoo!
Helpful, thanks. It's so much easier tinting a car without factory tint.

My go-to tint shop uses Llumar CTX Ceramic and they don't make a 20% which I think will be the ideal match. They have 15% or 30%.

I'd rather it appear lighter up front but think the 30% will be too light vs. the stock rears. Or I could to the rears at 50% but then would have to bump up the front side windows to 5% and that's too dark.

Looks like I'll land on the Llumar CTX 15%.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 11:03 PM   #32
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

iconoclast What tint did you go with on your X7? I'm considering Llumar Ceramic CTX 15 on my end. Which is your X7 so I can see? Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:21 AM   #33
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruppa View Post

Helpful, thanks. It's so much easier tinting a car without factory tint.

My go-to tint shop uses Llumar CTX Ceramic and they don't make a 20% which I think will be the ideal match. They have 15% or 30%.

I'd rather it appear lighter up front but think the 30% will be too light vs. the stock rears. Or I could to the rears at 50% but then would have to bump up the front side windows to 5% and that's too dark.

Looks like I'll land on the Llumar CTX 15%.
Why not just test the 15% on the fronts only for few days and see how that sits with you.
With the windshield untinted it might be a color match
      07-08-2020, 05:41 AM   #34
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Here goes my setup
With Xpel XR black
Front 5%
All around others 20%
Pan. Roof nothing installed as air 90% was eliminating the sky lounge LED to almost unseeable.

Visibility is absolute perfection in both day and night and long highway trips, that is if you're used to tinted windows.
Firstly love the dark look that's how I do it as well.

Few questions:
1. What is on your windshield? ...20% also? ...if so that seems dark for a front. I typically do 45% on the windshield. What's the visibility out like specifically on the windshield?

2. Why XR Black and not XR Plus since they both carry 5% and 20%?

3. You brought up something I was wondering about. I typically tint my sunroofs but I also have the sky lounge and was worried about the same effect that the tint would eliminate the LEDs. You said "air 90%" was tried what is that? I'm assuming it's a very light 90% tint...and still it killed the LEDs...please confirm.

4. Do you have a closeup of the windshield. I'm curious what they cut the tint around. Cameras maybe?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #35
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Here goes my setup
With Xpel XR black
Front 5%
All around others 20%

Did you have any pictures of what the air 90 looked like and how it affected the led?

I've got appointment next week and was planning to put 5% on the sunroof to block out as much of the sun and heat as possible so I can keep the sunroof open during the day for the more airy feel.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 12:58 PM   #36
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingInHot View Post
Quote:
Here goes my setup
With Xpel XR black
Front 5%
All around others 20%

Few questions:
1. What is on your windshield? ...20% also? ...if so that seems dark for a front. I typically do 45% on the windshield. What's the visibility out like specifically on the windshield?

3. You brought up something I was wondering about. I typically tint my sunroofs but I also have the sky lounge and was worried about the same effect that the tint would eliminate the LEDs. You said "air 90%" was tried what is that? I'm assuming it's a very light 90% tint...and still it killed the LEDs...please confirm.

4. Do you have a closeup of the windshield. I'm curious what they cut the tint around. Cameras maybe?

Thanks!
1. windshield Is 20%, Visibility is fantastic. I'll try to get some daytime and nighttime pictures from the inside for you.

2. XR black not XR Plus cause of the visibility and color match to OEM tint color and it has less "LAH" milky effect, of course less heat rejection for the same reason.

3. llumar air 90 was tried out, its the lightest shade and film that meets my requirements. We installed a piece on half of the panoramic roof and compared both half's in a very dark room with a blanket on top of the vehicle's roof. And noticed that the illumination of the sky lounge was reduced by almost half rendering it barely visible.
I didn't like and decided to go without any film on it.

I did tint the smaller sunroof with the llumar air 90.

In both casses the light transmittance inside the vehicle was barely effected if any.

The fact that there's a thin layer of film on the roof's LED strips, I believe distorted their light and made it less visible. At least for me.

4. I'll get you some closeups shortly. But they way the film is cut is usually covering the black dotted lines only and not exceeding that borderline.
      07-08-2020, 01:57 PM   #37
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Quote:
Here goes my setup
With Xpel XR black
Front 5%
All around others 20%

Did you have any pictures of what the air 90 looked like and how it affected the led?

I've got appointment next week and was planning to put 5% on the sunroof to block out as much of the sun and heat as possible so I can keep the sunroof open during the day for the more airy feel.
Unfortunately it didn't really occur to me to take pictures to Share with the community the effects of the film.

As far as tinting the sunroof with 5% I would strongly advise you otherwise. If a must to have a shade there go ~30%.

shade and heat rejection are not really on a 1 to 1 relationship.

And if you want it very dark just close the shade, otherwise open it with a high heat rejection film. I'd recommend trying it out with nothing more 30% and even then it's very dark for the LEDs.

Theoretically the Air 90 shouldn't have been a problem, practically it was for my taste, I wouldn't want to lose that feature, otherwise I would've opt-out in the build and saved a few hundred.

Finally if you want a blackout, close the shade. Otherwise keep the roof tint shadeless or ~90%

But then again that's my 2cents
      07-08-2020, 02:40 PM   #38
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately it didn't really occur to me to take pictures to Share with the community the effects of the film.

As far as tinting the sunroof with 5% I would strongly advise you otherwise. If a must to have a shade there go ~30%.

And if you want it very dark just close the shade, otherwise open it with a high heat rejection film. I'd recommend trying it out with nothing more 30% and even then it's very dark for the LEDs.

Theoretically the Air 90 shouldn't have been a problem, practically it was for my taste, I wouldn't want to lose that feature, otherwise I would've opt-out in the build and saved a few hundred.

Finally if you want a blackout, close the shade. Otherwise keep the roof tint shadeless or ~90%

Thanks for the input.

In my case, wife and kids complain that it's too bright and too hot when the shade is opened. On previous vehicle, I had 5% on the sunroof and was able to keep the shade open 99% of the time without complaint.
With the shade closed, with the anthracite headliner, it feels dark and tight inside. So I was hoping to be able to keep the shade open most of the time, but having the tint to reduce the amount of light and heat coming in, but still have the open/airy feel.

I guess I have to talk to the installer next week when I go in and see if I can try a few different shades.

It would be nice to still be able to enjoy the sky lounge, but considering it was part of a package and I couldn't not select it, I'm not going to get too upset if the led's don't show up well at night.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #39
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the input.

In my case, wife and kids complain that it's too bright and too hot when the shade is opened. On previous vehicle, I had 5% on the sunroof and was able to keep the shade open 99% of the time without complaint.
With the shade closed, with the anthracite headliner, it feels dark and tight inside. So I was hoping to be able to keep the shade open most of the time, but having the tint to reduce the amount of light and heat coming in, but still have the open/airy feel.

I guess I have to talk to the installer next week when I go in and see if I can try a few different shades.

It would be nice to still be able to enjoy the sky lounge, but considering it was part of a package and I couldn't not select it, I'm not going to get too upset if the led's don't show up well at night.
In this case I would suggest that you use the small front portion for experimenting.

Start with 40% I have a feeling that you / the family won't be disappointed.

Focus on films with high glare reduction rather than shade.

And to test it out further, see what's their take on the OEM tints on the back. That's your indicator as it's ~20% shade.
      07-08-2020, 03:07 PM   #40
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
In this case I would suggest that you use the small front portion for experimenting.

Start with 40% I have a feeling that you / the family won't be disappointed.

Focus on films with high glare reduction rather than shade.

And to test it out further, see what's their take on the OEM tints on the back. That's your indicator as it's ~20% shade.
When you say OEM tints on the back, do you mean door windows or sunroof?

I'm not going for a dark look or a front/rear window match.
I just want the max heat rejection without going too dark (my night vision isn't great).

So far I plan to do the following (similar to past 4 cars)

FormulaOne Pinnacle 50% on all side and rear/trunk windows.
FormulaOne Air 80% on windshield.
FormulaOne Pinnacle 5% (may change) on both sunroofs.

We don't have many reputable tint shops near us. The one I've been going to for the past 10 years has a good reputation and does a good job. This will be my 6th vehicle that I'm taking to them.
They do mostly FormulaOne (they are a select shop) but also do Huper Optik as well. I had Huper Optik installed on one vehicle and had issues with it getting blurry after a few years and had to get it replaced. I didn't notice too much difference in heat rejection between huper optik and formulaone ceramic tints.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:10 PM   #41
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingInHot View Post
Quote:
Here goes my setup
With Xpel XR black
Front 5%
All around others 20%

Few questions:

Thanks!
Air 90 is a specific product from llumar. The spec sheet days its actually 84 vlt.

I'm actually going to try and install the air 80. There's is very little noticeable difference to the naked eye
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:05 PM   #42
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
FWIW, I have 70% 3M Chrystaline on my sunroof. I didn't want it darker, but I wanted max heat rejection with the sunshade open. Works very well. With the shade closed it is better heat reduction, but that would be the case with any heat reducing film on the sunroof.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #43
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
FWIW, I have 70% 3M Chrystaline on my sunroof. I didn't want it darker, but I wanted max heat rejection with the sunshade open. Works very well. With the shade closed it is better heat reduction, but that would be the case with any heat reducing film on the sunroof.
Do you have the Sky lounge led lights? If so, did the tint affect the lights at all?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:48 PM   #44
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Do you have the Sky lounge led lights? If so, did the tint affect the lights at all?
No sky lounge unfortunately....

Appreciate 0