BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 vs Model X

02-16-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
akashmehrotra
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

X7 vs Model X

Hi folks

I am a bmw devote however given the price point of X7 - I am deliberating model X vs X7. Heart is definitely on the latter, but given future is electric Model X is more the future ready car.

Would love to hear thoughts on why X7 over model X.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

I didn’t even look at or consider the Tesla as I think they need another 5-10 years of significant technological advancement to get a battery that requires less frequent charging.

I won’t prioritize the environment or fuel savings over safety or reliability.
Appreciate 2
torment26.00
iconoclast7257.50
      02-16-2020, 05:47 PM   #3
explorer84
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by akashmehrotra View Post
Hi folks

I am a bmw devote however given the price point of X7 - I am deliberating model X vs X7. Heart is definitely on the latter, but given future is electric Model X is more the future ready car.

Thanks
I am planning on switching from Model X to X7.

Pros in X7 - Ride height, much better interior, better driving dynamics, roomier 3rd row, Apple car play integration.

Cons in X7 - Clunkier UI, Driving Assistant Professional not as good as Tesla Autopilot, OTA software updates do not work, Many folks are having issues with the BMW connected app.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 06:30 PM   #4
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

I had a model x for about 6 months before I sold it for the x7. I thought the falcon wing doors wouldn't bother me but they did. Especially if you have kids. I was always worried about my daughter getting hurt. Although I'm sure they are fine. Just my issue.

I have written about many issues I had with the model x. My husband has a model s and he has quite a few with his car. He doesn't care as much as I did, but the cons to the model x very much outweighed the pros for me.

The model x is very fun to drive if you don't use cruise control much. Because every time I used mine it would slow down unexpectedly at least once in a 15 min drive. It doesn't work in the snow or rain. Etc.

It's also doesn't have CarPlay/android which I missed very much. They finally just came out with Bluetooth text messaging, but for at least iPhones, you can't group text.

If you like plush cars that have all the bells and whistles that work. Get the x7. In another three years there will be better options for electric vehicles and I can't wait for that day.

If you do want something electric and don't need the third row, look at the 3. At least you won't be paying 100+k for a battery.

Also, I have an iPhone and don't have issues with my car. This is a huge upgrade for any Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
explorer84
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
I had a model x for about 6 months before I sold it for the x7. I thought the falcon wing doors wouldn't bother me but they did. Especially if you have kids. I was always worried about my daughter getting hurt. Although I'm sure they are fine. Just my issue.

I have written about many issues I had with the model x. My husband has a model s and he has quite a few with his car. He doesn't care as much as I did, but the cons to the model x very much outweighed the pros for me.

The model x is very fun to drive if you don't use cruise control much. Because every time I used mine it would slow down unexpectedly at least once in a 15 min drive. It doesn't work in the snow or rain. Etc.

It's also doesn't have CarPlay/android which I missed very much. They finally just came out with Bluetooth text messaging, but for at least iPhones, you can't group text.

If you like plush cars that have all the bells and whistles that work. Get the x7. In another three years there will be better options for electric vehicles and I can't wait for that day.

If you do want something electric and don't need the third row, look at the 3. At least you won't be paying 100+k for a battery.

Also, I have an iPhone and don't have issues with my car. This is a huge upgrade for any Tesla.
I second this. Compared to Model X, Model 3 is much better car in terms of price and battery technology. The only advantage Model X has is more room and ride height.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 07:21 PM   #6
gotzillar
Private
Rep
Drives: 992S,X7M50i,EV6,TaycanGTS ST

I own both 2017 model x 75D and 2020 X7 M50i. I couldn't careless about autopilot on model x (I've used it many times and it's still unreliable) so I didnt get driving assistance on x7. To be honest, the performance is very close between the two but if I really want to get model x straightline performance on m50i, i need to stay in sport mode and the mpg drops to single digit.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 07:34 PM   #7
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:
Hi folks

Thanks
I currently have a Model X trading for the X7. This is my third Model X. My X7 should be in next week. My thoughts:

1. The Model X is more of a simple interior design, it’s nice but not plush if that makes sense.

2. As most have said the infotainment on the Model X to me is outstanding. Large screen, great maps, it’s own LTE network etc. I will miss that. It does everything I need wonderfully. The negative as I move to point 3.

3. Tesla cheapened out on sound proofing their cars. No double windows and no sound proofing on the floor. It has a few negative side effects. The Tesla is a silent vehicle, you hear everything. The road noise gets so loud on the interstate you can’t talk on the Bluetooth most of the time. They did refine the air suspension recently but IMO they need to invest in making the car quieter.

4. I’ve never had a single failure in mine, I’m lucky as they have had some problems. They are fast, and look unique, grab a lot of attention with the doors. However, at the end of the day I want a quiet, smooth ride, and they aren’t there yet.

5. Charging, I drive locally and I barely use any battery per day and save a lot of money in gas and oil. It’s just the truth of it. Mine goes 325 miles on a charge. Long trips never any issue with a supercharger.

6. Like most people have said give them another 5 years and look out. I have a Tesla truck on order and will see how that looks and works out.

For now I’m going to enjoy the quiet, awesome ride of this X7 with a plush interior while listening to great tunes on that great BW system.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      02-16-2020, 07:45 PM   #8
explorer84
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonboz View Post
Quote:
Hi folks

Thanks
I currently have a Model X trading for the X7. This is my third Model X. My X7 should be in next week. My thoughts:

1. The Model X is more of a simple interior design, it’s nice but not plush if that makes sense.

2. As most have said the infotainment on the Model X to me is outstanding. Large screen, great maps, it’s own LTE network etc. I will miss that. It does everything I need wonderfully. The negative as I move to point 3.

3. Tesla cheapened out on sound proofing their cars. No double windows and no sound proofing on the floor. It has a few negative side effects. The Tesla is a silent vehicle, you hear everything. The road noise gets so loud on the interstate you can’t talk on the Bluetooth most of the time. They did refine the air suspension recently but IMO they need to invest in making the car quieter.

4. I’ve never had a single failure in mine, I’m lucky as they have had some problems. They are fast, and look unique, grab a lot of attention with the doors. However, at the end of the day I want a quiet, smooth ride, and they aren’t there yet.

5. Charging, I drive locally and I barely use any battery per day and save a lot of money in gas and oil. It’s just the truth of it. Mine goes 325 miles on a charge. Long trips never any issue with a supercharger.

6. Like most people have said give them another 5 years and look out. I have a Tesla truck on order and will see how that looks and works out.

For now I’m going to enjoy the quiet, awesome ride of this X7 with a plush interior while listening to great tunes on that great BW system.
Well said!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:09 PM   #9
Art-CK
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i '12 M6 Cab '11 X5M

Garage List
Had both model X and X7 M50i on my short list. Loved the tech in Tesla, however interior quality and sound insulation is at a level of an entry level vehicle. Driving feel also wasn't nearly as planted as X7.

If you don't care about gas saving, perhaps make X7 one of your last gas cars. I'm buying mine to keep for a long time before we all go electric.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:22 PM   #10
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

I have both. And on my Model X, I had a 2016 P90D, which was in the shop for 100+ days split out in about 6 months time. Issues I had were with falcon wing failures to close especially on hot days. I eventually went to Tesla as I had enough and they just bought the car back at full price including the taxes / fees. They offered to me a brand new build of the P100D and said would get me the car within 2 months. I took delivery of it in Jan 2018 and still have the car today along with a '20 Model 3, '13 +'16 Model S

My personal thoughts. Musk and Tesla continually overpromise and underdeliver at every point of my ownership. On my 2nd Model X I had a lon conversation with NA sales exec and he promised that all the sensor issues and falcon winf problems were fixed. To be fair, my 2nd X did not have to be towed because I could not close the falcon wing doors. However I continied to have issues with the following:

1. Falcon wing does not open when the sun shines on the door for several hrs. Even at 80 degrees this issue was common. We got around it by just having my kids exit the other side
2. Phantom braking - when I used the autopilot feature for no reason the car would hard brake st freeway speeds. This is extremely dangerous and when I first reported it, the dealer wanted the exact day / time condition it happened. I gave them the information and never heard back.

Some of you may ask why I didn't bring it back in for service. I have the full line up from Tesla and these issues especially with Autopilot is standard. If you google phantom braking you will find that this is a known issue. I have lost faith in this company, which is why I am now in the process of selling the Model X. I personally do not like wasting time on things that Tedla could not fix and rather just walk away.

I am quite happy with the X7 so far with the exception of horrendous service from Fremont BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #11
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7

I would take an equivalently priced vehicle (especially German) over a Tesla any day.

I get it the point of keeping it simple but to me, Tesla's are built like go carts. Very bare inside, it doesn't make you feel like you're in a 6 figure vehicle and if service is important to you then you're going to hate Tesla. My neighbor's Model X got rear ended and it took over a month to fix, 3 weeks for a rear glass and the facts that you can't fix your own vehicle and they can disable your supercharge (or your car) is a big no no. We paid for the car, we should have the rights to do what we want with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #12
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have driven my Model S and Model X to Southern California several times. Compared to a conventional car, I would reach LA in about 5 hours. With the Tesla it would take 9 hrs and that is because of charging time of 45 minutes not including any wait time if the chargers are full. I would make 2-3 stops at superchargers depending on temperatures. If it is in the winter expect a range decrease of 30%+. And if you drive at 75mph+ do not expect to get anywhere near the 300 mile range (more like 200).
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #13
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Not to beat a dead horse, but...

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 02:10 PM   #14
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

177 miles.

Seriously.

That guy can drive his car 177 miles before it's dead. Toast. No go. Can't just put in more gas. You have to find a car plug and sit for... hours?

Yeahhhhhhh... there's a reason I don't drive electric. God love city people.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 12:36 AM   #15
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
177 miles.

Seriously.

That guy can drive his car 177 miles before it's dead. Toast. No go. Can't just put in more gas. You have to find a car plug and sit for... hours?

Yeahhhhhhh... there's a reason I don't drive electric. God love city people.
I'm still laughing...! City dweller folk...They don't get out much do they?
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      03-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #16
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I'm still laughing...! City dweller folk...They don't get out much do they?
Thi is what I don't like about Tesla. Their range numbers are inflated and assume you drive at 65mph on the freeway. Additionally it is recommended to not frequently charge the car to 100% as this degrades the battery over time. I can fill up my fuel tank to full every time and it does noy impact my vehicles' performance at all. There are so many things wrong with Tesla that I am not going to repeat....and yes I own the entire Tesla line up
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 06:06 PM   #17
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Hi folks

Thanks
I had an opportunity to drive a Model X P100D for a weekend and can tell you that after driving my M50i for three days, I prefer the X7 all around. At the end of the day, it's an apples to oranges experience for me. I love the character of the M50i; aggressive looking and the engine doesn't disappoint in that area either. The Tesla was crazy fast and smooth, but it was more like a rollercoaster ride vs. driving a sporty SUV. Both great cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 07:07 AM   #18
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

IMO, the Model X is a mid-size SUV and not in the same class as X7, GLS, etc. But for me the biggest downside are the gullwing doors. They are cool looking but completely impractical for everyday use. Another gimmick from Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 02:12 AM   #19
Ucla98
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i

Quote:
Hi folks

Thanks
I've driven the Model X for 2 years and really love the car. My younger brother wants to take over the lease of the model X and therefore, I have to lease another car. Last week, I signed a 3 year lease on a 2022 X7 M50i. Here are my thougths about the 2 cars:

Model X:

Pros:
-Very fast (instant torque). The base model X is faster and has smoother acceleration than the V8 version of the X7.
-Very reliable. For the last 2 years, I haven't had to bring the car to the service center for maintenance. I recently brought the car to Just Tire shop for a new set of tires.
- Falcon doors are really cool and make it easy for the kids and elderly people to get in and out.
- Paying for electricity is much cheaper than paying for $5 per gallon of gas.
- The driver door swings open as you approach the car. And auto lock as you walk away from it. Soft close doors are standard option.
- Autopilot is also a standard option. Living in southern Cal with a lot of traffic. This is a must have feature.
- Get the OTA software updates very frequently. This feature makes any 2-3 yo cars work like a new one.
- You can leave the AC/heater on for hours and don't have to worry about depleting the 12v battery. For a gas car, you have to leave the engine on.
- Homelink automatically opens the garrage door as you return home (base on the GPS system) and closes as you leave the house.
- Since it's a small SUV, it's easy for you to drive around town and park the car in busy shopping center.
- Larger storage space because it has both the frunk and the trunk. And there is also a very deep storage compartment underneath the floor of the trunk. The X7 has a very small one....about the size of a spare tire.

Cons:
- Cheap interior. Low quality vegan leather material.
- Shorter range than an ice car. And you can only charge to 80% in order to maintain the longevity of the battery. If you live in a cold weather state that requires you to use the heater a lot, it significantly reduces the range even more. The range is around 250 miles (80% charge).
- Poor suspension. It shakes a lot when you go over the speed bumps.
- Poor handling/steering.
- Poor customer service. Due to the lack of staff, it takes 2-3 wks to get the appointment at the service center. Fortunately, it's an electric car and doesn't require any maintenance during the first 2-3 years.
- If you choose a 7 seat configuration, it's very hard to move the 2nd row forward so the passengers can get into the 3rd row. The 3rd row seats have to be uprighted manually instead of pushing a button like the X7.
- Tesla parts take a long time to order. I got in to an accident, and it took over a month for the repair.
- It's very expensive to insure a Tesla.

X7

Pros:
-IMO, it's a much better looking car than the model X. German cars are well known for their beautiful designs.
- Good comfortable ride quality. Very smooth over the speed bumps. Although it's not as smooth as the 7 series that I had driven before but it's significantly better than the model X. It hugs the road and not floating like the model X.
- It's a big car. Unlike the tiny model X, 7 large adults can comfortably sit in this car. It's also easier to get into the 3rd row.
- Good handling. You have no problem making sharp turns.
- Luxurious interior. Much better leather quality. And the seats are much more comfortable than the model X.
- Android Carplay/Apple carplay.

Cons:
- The driving assistance pro is not as good as the Tesla's autopilot. But it is better than having nothing. It works great in a traffic jamp situation. I am spoiled with this self-driving feature. When I leased the X7, I had to pick the car that has this driving feature.
- The 22 inch tires on the X7 are very hard to find and they are runflat tires. I had to buy used OEM tires on Ebay in case I get a flat tire and I need an immediate replacement. I do the same for the model X.
- The car is not reliable. I got the "replace battery" warning on the day that signed the lease on my X7. The saleman told me to bring to the service for them to take care of it. I had leased three 7series before and I had to bring them to service centers for repairs a lot of times. BMW cars are fun car to drive but I don't want to own any of them. I only lease BMW...and return them after 3 years.
- Poor gas mileage, especially if you choose the V8 model like I did. The gas price in Southern CA is $5+ a gallon.

Good luck with your decisions.

Last edited by Ucla98; 12-02-2021 at 02:20 AM..
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18113.00
XSnake1.50
      12-02-2021, 07:26 AM   #20
wh1te
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7

Quality materials from what tesla is built (eco leather that should save the planet but degradates like plastic), quality of paint job when you can find sand under clear coat, quality of door seals that breaks if you roll down windows too often or open falcon wings too often and many many other things. Plus don't understand why people consider it a enviromental friendly car when it does the same damage than gasoline cars considering that nobody wants to recycle batteries and you have to bury them in you back yard (and if you think that it's fine than what kind of water you use?) will be fine when you will use salted ocean water for all your needs and still gonna be too dangerous, not talking about tires and breakes that are exactly the same as in engine powered car. And about this you can talk all week, so i said your f..k planet anyway so i chose X7.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 09:51 AM   #21
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucla98 View Post
Cons:
- The driving assistance pro is not as good as the Tesla's autopilot. But it is better than having nothing. It works great in a traffic jamp situation. I am spoiled with this self-driving feature. When I leased the X7, I had to pick the car that has this driving feature.
An acquaintance of mine is on his 3rd tesla (two S, one 3) and he says BMW's assisted drive pro is better than tesla autopilot based on his experience.

Also earlier this year, I had dinner with a relative of my co-worker who currently owns a X and a 3, he says he does not use autopilot because it's so unreliable.

I find BMW's assisted drive pro to work very well. Have done about 4k miles in the last 4 months using assisted drive. The only situation it didn't work well was when we were in the winding mountain roads of Yosemite.

My neighbor was going to buy a tesla thinking "autopilot" meant she didn't have to drive at all. She could simply get in the car, tell it where she wants to go and it would take her there. There's tesla marketing for ya. I have heard that from many individuals, thinking "autopilot" means the car will do 100% of the driving and you just have to tell it where you want to go.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #22
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

I haven't tested Model X auto pilot but I am pleasantly surprised how well it works in X7 every day. It is a well designed system, whether you are stuck in traffic and going under 40 mph (completely autonomous) or driving on a highway at faster speeds. Also, my stock 22s are non-run flats. I would actually prefer to have run flats. I am surprised by your insurance comment, I thought Tesla's are cheaper as there are fewer things that break and have highest crash test ratings. I would not call BMW not reliable. Probably not as reliable as Teslas. RR is not reliable. Agree mpg is not great but we knew that when picking V8s. I would consider a Tesla or Lucid in the future but as of now Tesla doesn't check many of the boxes for me and I am not ready to drive it just for the fact that it is electric
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0