BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Porsche Cayman GT4 revealed.

02-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #89
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
Only people say that have never owned one
Nice try. I've owned one and it was a pretty good car. I specced out a 997 turbo but walked away from deposit after I drove one and hated it.

But my point was that the proliferation of similar models within each of their model lines borders on the ridiculous. Porsche is the master of coming out with a ton of minor variations that are just different enough to make some subset of people want one.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 12:36 PM   #90
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
I understand your point and don't like to draw conclusions before first-hand experiences, but I can make that point with a fair amount of confidence because of where I live. Chicago roads are bad enough that the M3 is pushing right at the limits of how stiff I can go with an acceptable level of comfort. in better parts of the country (with smoother roads and less winter weather), this car very well might make for an enjoyable daily driver, but not here. I have two garage spaces - one for the wife's family SUV and one for me. I couldn't make this car my only car - there would be too many occasions where I'd have to arrange alternate transportation.
Brosef I am in the same boat as you. I live in DC and I can only have one assigned parking spot in my condo's underground garage. So that means I can only have 1 car really and I even have to pay extra per month for my parking spot. Therefore, I am wondering about the viability of a Cayman GT4 in a rough city like DC. I assume that DC is just as bad as Chicago is with the sheer number of insane potholes and bad wintery weather. I am barely getting by with my M5 and winter tires on these horrible streets. What makes the GT4 appealing though is the usability of it's performance on the street and overwhelming capability on a track. Like Chicago, DC has no mountains nearby for canyon driving and the closest open country is no less than 2 hours away for me, this makes enjoying a high horsepower car extremely difficult. The only other alternative is to go to the track, which a car like an M5, RS7, Panamera GTS, or Merc E63 is extremely not well suited for. There are a number of racetracks on the East Coast but none are really big power tracks like the Nurburgring where I can use a 700hp (modded) Sedan to it's full potential. This makes the GT4 even more appealing. It's almost 300lbs lighter than than a 991 GT3 and doesn't have as much horsepower a lot of the competition out there, which is great because on trafficky urban streets and highways and smaller racetracks of the East Coast, horsepower is simply not a usable consumer good. Can the GT4 be a daily driver, I think so, the suspension setup shouldn't be drastically different from the Cayman GTS as far as comfort goes but the biggest concern would be the manual only transmission. If anyone has ever owned a manual transmission as their daily driver and they have to commute in gridlock traffic with it everyday, well then you understand my point. The picture below is what I have to drive in every single weekday. I thank God for the ///M DCT and the fact is that I'm not getting younger either and I'm not so sure my knee could take the constant clutch movement in 5mph traffic. So as a daily driver and only owned car, the GT4 takes a lot of consideration. There's still no info on when production will start I think, but when the times comes, I am seriously going to consider pulling the trigger.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #91
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Lets put it this way.. Z06 and gt4 will draw two completly different type of crowd.
No doubt - just as there is room on the marketplace today for a Cayman S and Stingray.

Quote:
Yes z06 is faster in every measurable way. But id rather open my garage door and see gt4 everyday then the vette.
Either would be thrilling to own. There is also still the 911 too. I'd probably be apt to go there instead of the GT4 if I were spending this kind of coin and (for some reason, contrary to my natural tendencies) going after the prestige factor rather than the all-out performance factor.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #92
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
HOWEVER, as much as I'd like to believe it's something I could drive around town, this car has to be really uncomfortable as a daily driver.
I'd recommend you don't come to such judgement too early. IMHO, Porsche knows how to setup a chassis better than most companies, they are truly masters in my book. I never felt the GT3 was harsh on the road, it was my daily driver; it was nothing plush like the M4, but much more acceptable than may think.
No one currently making cars can match the sophistication and suspension that porsche is able to dial into their cars. It's truly amazing they can have no roll yet a car that soaks up bumps and rides more comfortably than most cars meant to be comfortable. Truly superior engineering. McLaren comes close with the 12C or whatever they call that thing now.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #93
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
This is probably the last hurrah for NA/manual Caymans...
Possible. Or they may keep it N/A while they keep the 911 GT3 and GT3 RS N/A, for however long that may last.

Speaking of the GT3 RS, can we just go ahead and pencil in a limited run GT4 RS in a couple years too?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #94
Lloyd_Christmas
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
...There's still no info on when production will start I think, but when the times comes, I am seriously going to consider pulling the trigger.
Multiple sources have said it hits dealerships in July. Additionally, if you watched the EVO video, Porsche strongly alludes to the fact that a PDK offering will be forthcoming.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #95
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2final View Post
Heard this was limited production, though. Any truth?

Looks great, bet it's really fun. Just doesn't tick the boxes at this point in my life. le sigh...
yes, limited by how much money porsche can rake in and build them. lol

every owner of a GT3 just went to their favorite porsche center and placed a deposit if they haven't already.

If I had a use for a 90K track toy I would surely be looking to get one. Just by ticking a few options like the bucket seats the car easily gets to the near $100k mark on the configurator. I guess its a relative "bargain" compared to a GT3 which you can't even get with a proper transmission.

btw i still think with proper tires the M3/M4 would come very close to a 7:40 on the ring.
Once they stick pdk in a GT4 it will be a 7:30 lap
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:03 PM   #96
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Possible. Or they may keep it N/A while they keep the 911 GT3 and GT3 RS N/A, for however long that may last.

Speaking of the GT3 RS, can we just go ahead and pencil in a limited run GT4 RS in a couple years too?
Agree on GT4RS. I am almost certain they will make one. If there is a market for GT3RS a GT4RS also makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #97
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd_Christmas View Post
Multiple sources have said it hits dealerships in July. Additionally, if you watched the EVO video, Porsche strongly alludes to the fact that a PDK offering will be forthcoming.
From what I've seen so far, it doesn't seem like they have an interest in putting the PDK in the GT4. I hope I'm wrong. That would be a lot sooner than expected if they do start production in July.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:08 PM   #98
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

This really makes me want to unload my 98 NSX...especially while the prices are high. But I have to wonder if this is a car a person like me could get my hands on or if all the big-money folks and GT3 owners will be swooping in claiming limited allocations.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:10 PM   #99
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92V8 View Post
My Cayman GTS made 354 hp on the dyno.
No, it didn't.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:10 PM   #100
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Quote:
This really makes me want to unload my 98 NSX...especially while the prices are high. But I have to wonder if this is a car a person like me could get my hands on or if all the big-money folks and GT3 owners will be swooping in claiming limited allocations.
Andreas in the video mentioned something around 5000 cars a year? It will be hard to get and wait list will most likely be similar to GT3 (currently more than 1 year in Canada apparently).
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #101
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LNGCGY View Post
Andreas in the video mentioned something around 5000 cars a year? It will be hard to get and wait list will most likely be similar to GT3 (currently more than 1 year in Canada apparently).
In other words...probably MSRP or higher and you'll have to kiss your dealer's ass to have the opportunity to buy one. Maybe I'll wait until they start making their way onto the used market.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:22 PM   #102
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:
No doubt - just as there is room on the marketplace today for a Cayman S and Stingray.

Either would be thrilling to own. There is also still the 911 too. I'd probably be apt to go there instead of the GT4 if I were spending this kind of coin and (for some reason, contrary to my natural tendencies) going after the prestige factor rather than the all-out performance factor.
So gt4 w light options come out to 90k. For that money its regular 991 non s money. No way in hell ill get reg carrera over this. Esp back seats on carrera are completly useless.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:28 PM   #103
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So gt4 w light options come out to 90k. For that money its regular 991 non s money. No way in hell ill get reg carrera over this. Esp back seats on carrera are completly useless.
Ok, well just saying - id rather open my garage door and see 911 everyday then the Cayman.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #104
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Please people, buy plenty and more. I'm waiting my time for the used market, cannot wait.
+1

$100k configured the way I want, well sort of... No red seats available
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #105
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Under what circumstance will a GT3 make a horrible DD? If you need to transport lumber on a daily basis? My GF has been driving her's exclusively since we picked it up 3 weeks ago. It has any creature comfort you could want, only two pedals, good visibility, comfy suspension, and it could carry just as much in the frunk as any Carrera.

I don't quite get why some consider certain cars not daily-driveable (yesterday, someone here mentioned a GTR wasn't, either).
They are snobs. I simply don't know any new car today that is not DD. Even a 4C or Lotus is DD if you are fit enough to get in and out.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #106
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LNGCGY View Post
I have 2 new 991 GT3's here at work that are available.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:41 PM   #107
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Under what circumstance will a GT3 make a horrible DD? If you need to transport lumber on a daily basis? My GF has been driving her's exclusively since we picked it up 3 weeks ago. It has any creature comfort you could want, only two pedals, good visibility, comfy suspension, and it could carry just as much in the frunk as any Carrera.

I don't quite get why some consider certain cars not daily-driveable (yesterday, someone here mentioned a GTR wasn't, either).
Maybe you should reread his post.
Haven't is the opposite of have.
      02-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #108
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Ok, well just saying - id rather open my garage door and see 911 everyday then the Cayman.
I'm willing to bet this Cayman drives better than any 911 short of the GT3. I like the fact that Porsche made this strictly a 6 speed manual car. It weeds out the rich teenage girls, pretend-enthusiasts that can only drive auto's, and the infamous "but but but for a little more you can get a 911!"
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #109
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Quote:
You definitely can get an allocation! There is no waiting list on the GT3 now. However the GT3 will run out of production by the end of this year.
There is no word on GT4RS at all from my dealer. There will be GT4 with PDK-S in a year.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:49 PM   #110
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
I'm willing to bet this Cayman drives better than any 911 short of the GT3.
Maybe, but it'll still get buried by a Z06. So, again, to sum up - Z06 for performance, 911 for prestige, and no room left in the garage for the GT4.

Quote:
I like the fact that Porsche made this strictly a 6 speed manual car. It weeds out the rich teenage girls, pretend-enthusiasts that can only drive auto's, and the infamous "but but but for a little more you can get a 911!"
Well that must be it then - I just so happen to be a rich teenage girl who pretends to be an enthusiast yet can only drive auto and who plans to spend a little bit more of daddy's money on a 911. I get one in pink right?

Tootles!
Appreciate 0