BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum My own preview X7 impressions

02-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

My own preview X7 impressions

Got to see an X7 "preview" today, although the cars are already out there, and can be sold starting Monday. My first time seeing the X7 in person. If anyone cares, here are my various thoughts:

Overall, I REALLY liked it. I liked the G05 X5, and when I first saw specs and pictures of the X7 a few months ago, I was disappointed. It really seemed like the X7 was just going to be an X5 with a third row. To a great extent, YEAH, that's just what it is. It doesn't seem THAT much bigger, and the cockpit is almost identical to the G05. It's not until you get behind the 2nd row that the two really start looking different. But the X7 just has a little higher class and finish as well.

- The #1 thing I took away from the visit, it's that the X7 2nd row seating *IS* in fact noticeably more roomy than the G05. The official specs have the X7 only 0.2" longer in legroom. That's nothing. But Influence seems to have gotten it right in his post here: https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1585984 The X7 2nd row CAN slide back, (at least with Captain's chairs) and get extra legroom. I'm going to make a separate post about this, as this is a very important issue for some of us.

(post on 2nd row legroom here: https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24438353)

- I liked the 2nd row captain's chairs, but I think they could be even better. Armrest was strong enough, and slides forward for even arm support, but I think the seats and the armrest could be even more beefy or robust, for true 2nd row luxury. This is a 7-series SUV supposedly, after all!!!!! I'd probably order the captain's chairs over the 2nd row bench.

- 2nd row captain's chairs recline a lot. Very comfy for long rides.

- Controlling the 2nd row seat adjustments and movement is actually pretty confusing. There are multiple vague buttons in the trunk that control the 2nd row seats, but also presets that (after delays and confusing pauses) drop or raise the 3rd row and move the 2nd row forward or back. There's two buttons on the driver's door, to slide the 2nd row seats forward and back. There's fairly standard BMW seat controls on the thigh sides of the 2nd row seats for adjustments, but (and this is key) if the rear seat WINDOW child lockout on the driver's door is activated, the 2nd row SEAT controls are also locked out. Took a while to figure that one out. Then there's two buttons to the outside of each 2nd row seat. They seems like they would move the 2nd row seats so you can get into the 3rd row, but they raise and lower the left and right side of the 3rd row separately. There are delays in the seat movement, so when you press them, you don't think they're working, and you press them again, which stops the movement. Then there's another lever on the top of each 2nd row seat, mostly manual, to make them tilt forward. Overall, the system is confusing and anything but intuitive.

- I like the additional finish touches on the X7, compared to the G05. The small cargo cover that's in place when the 3rd row seats are up has a soft velour top surface to it, and an X7 logo. Same soft velour or carpet surface on the lower tailgate when dropped, so it's not all plastic like the G05. The front row seems to have more leather surfaces on the center console ankle sides, and doors, making it look that much more classy.

- The ultra-extended sunroof is nice, all the way back including a portion for the 3rd row. Yes, as others have noticed, it actually doesn't open as much as you'd think. But I think it's still fine, especially given the amount of time that I actually spend with the sunroof open. The larger size makes the LED roof that much nicer. It's cool how, when you open it, the opened portion LED lights extinguish, and then as you close it, the LED lights fade back in. Nice touch.

- I liked the alcantara headliner. The model I saw had the ivory seating with blue trim. Very nice, although not the color I'll personally order.

- USB-C outlets galore! Very nice, including under lifting cover panels on the side armrests of the 3rd row seats.

- As others have noted, the 3rd row seats are very nice, given what they are--3rd row in an SUV. They're not primary seats, but nicely furnished and with amenities, including separate climate controls, own sunroof, and cupholders. I'm 6'2" to 6'3", and even I could fit in the 3rd row, with some seat adjustment and crowded knees. Given that the 3rd row will mostly be used by people for shorter folks (including kids) it's just fine.

- It says something to me, if, as a 6'2" to 6'3" big guy, I could ride in ANY of the 6-7 seats in the car. And 4-5 of them in total comfort, no complaints.

- I'm not a fan of the 3rd row seatbelts being permanently vertically on the side of the car, even with the 3rd row seats down. For those like me that would use the car 99% of the time with the 3rd row seats down, I can see those 3rd row seatbelts getting caught, rubbed, dirty, or whatever, with cargo in the trunk

- On that note, I realize BMW made the X7 all with the 3rd row in mind. But for those like me, I wish they offered the X7 with 3rd row deleted. Could add a spare tire option, as well as even more legroom for the 2nd row

- Luxury seats, with ventilation and massage, seemed just as good on the X7 as the G05. I LOVE LOVE the massage function for the constant body motion it provides. Think it'll greatly prevent long-sitting butt soreness.

- I did not drive the car. Showroom only. But I do not anticipate any problems there, given what we've seen with the G05. Other than the steering assist problems on the G05 that have caused many near-accidents.

- Yeah, the huge G05 grills have now set the standard, and other big grills don't seem as egregious. But yes, I do think the X7 grills are too tall. The larger size is ok, but like others have said, if they were maybe a couple inches shorter, they'd be more proportionate. I do like how the inner vertical slats are a matte silver. The whole thing would be way too much in chrome, and as it is, I still think it should be blacked out. Actually, blacking out the outer ring, with the inner slats staying matte silver might look nice.

- The model I saw had the sport package, and I really prefer the black accents of the window trim and roof rails and such. I think a lot of chrome on large SUVs looks tacky. 22" rims looked great.

- Even being the biggest BMW ever built, the back cargo access still was just fine. Didn't have to reach up super high to reach the top open hatch. Tailgate height not too high, for lifting in cargo.

- On that note yes, cargo room virtually non-existent when 3rd row up. But still have a little bit. For those like me that will drive the car with the 3rd row down, not an issue.

- I still don't like the glass controls. I see how they're for some people, but for me it's too "blingy". Will order without.

- No seat wrinkles in the 2nd row! (LOL - if you're not sure what this refers to, see the controversy with the G05 X5)

- The biggest problem I had with the car, it had these significantly-sized running boards. They were useful when trying to climb and wiggle back into the 3rd row. But, as is the standard argument with running boards, they interfered with normal entry and exit of the vehicle, having to step farther out to get out, and your leg hits and rubs against the boards every time. Pant ankles are going to get very messy. I would NOT want the running boards. My question is, in the configurator, if you do not order the "aluminum running boards" option, are there no running boards at all, so it's a straight vertical drop from the doors without anything sticking out?

- Holy hell. If I configure a 50i the way I want it, it comes out to $108k. Just too rich for my blood. A similar 40i comes out to $93k. Still shocking and far beyond what I've paid for any other car in my life, but I'm hoping I can find a way to make it happen. I really like the X7, and think it may very well be my next rig.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #2
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Nice write up.I didn’t realize that the seatbelts stayed up on the sides when the 3rd row is stored.That is a bad design feature because like you in my X7 the 3rd row will be stored most of the time and cargo could get tangled up in them.

I also agree that they should have made the X7 a little bit larger to give it more second row leg room and more cargo space.I think that is the only area where the GLS really is better than the new X7.Apparently the new GLS is going to have even more cargo room over the current GLS.

The second row bench seat is also powered,so you are able to move it back for more legroom,like the captain’s chairs.

There is also an optional space saver tire,so that isn’t an issue.

I agree about the running boards.They are only useful for getting into the X7 and are way to narrow to easily step on when exiting the vehicle.The GLS ones are larger and work perfectly for entering and exiting the vehicle.The running boards are also only available on the regular X7.They are not an option for the M Sport X7.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50
      02-26-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Ah thanks. I've suddenly been looking at a lot of X7 pictures, noticing some have running birds, some do not. The X7 I looked at was actually an M sport with running boards, but that may have been an overseas model configuration. I'm seeing various results.

But I'm happy to see some models without the running boards, which tells me one way or another I can make it work to get an M sport without the boards, or replace them.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
Petegd
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350, GLK

Do you think running boards would be necessary with little kids? I have a 5 year and a 3 year old - never purchased a car this big and was thinking that it actually may be a requirement for them.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:07 PM   #5
Hoosbest
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petegd View Post
Do you think running boards would be necessary with little kids? I have a 5 year and a 3 year old - never purchased a car this big and was thinking that it actually may be a requirement for them.
Definitely don’t need them.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Blue, first of all, like your x5 review, incredibly detailed and helpful. Thank you.

I myself just sat in one again. Can second what you guys have said about the second row. You slide it all the way back, even with the first row all the way back, you’ve got prob 41” of legroom in the second row. That leaves about 30 in the third row is my guess (a shade more than in q7, 5” less than in gls). I got in the third row after doing this, and I'm 6'1" and my knees were scraping the second row. That to me feels like 30" or so, maybe a little less.

Another two observations:

The button on the driver’s door for second row control seems to slide the second row forward only, but does not tilt it. As what the seat does when you press the same button to move it back, I’m not sure if it takes the second row back to exactly where it was prior or as far back as the second row slides. Hopefully the former, not the latter.

As for trunk controls of second and third row, I’m still not sure what exactly the max comfort button does. The manual says it moves the second row to the "basic" position. This position may be the same as the "standard" position pressing the reset button on the second row seat itself takes you to. That position has the backrest straight up (not reclined at all) and the seat base somewhere in the middle of it's farthest slid forward position and farthest slid back position. That position may be the basis for the 33.3" legroom measurement they state in the specifications.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 11.21.16 AM.png
Views: 1198
Size:  162.0 KB

Last edited by ppagiga; 02-27-2019 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #7
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petegd View Post
Not necessary, but could potentially help. The X7 is nowhere near as high as some trucks you have to climb up into though.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #8
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Blue, first of all, like your x5 review, incredibly detailed and helpful. Thank you.

I myself just sat in one again. Can second what you guys have said about the second row. You slide it all the way back, even with the first row all the way back, you’ve got prob 41” of legroom in the second row. That leaves about 30 in the third row is my guess (a shade more than in q7, 5” less than in gls). I got in the third row after doing this, and I'm 6'1" and my knees were scraping the second row. That to me feels like 30" or so, maybe a little less.

Another two observations:

The button on the driver’s door for second row control seems to slide the second row forward only, but does not tilt it. As what the seat does when you press the same button to move it back, I’m not sure if it takes the second row back to exactly where it was prior or as far back as the second row slides. Hopefully the former, not the latter.

As for trunk controls of second and third row, I’m still not sure what exactly the max comfort button does. The manual says it moves the second row to the "basic" position. This position may be the same as the "standard" position pressing the reset button on the second row seat itself takes you to. That position has the backrest straight up (not reclined at all) and the seat base somewhere in the middle of it's farthest slid forward position and farthest slid back position. That position may be the basis for the 33.3" legroom measurement they state in the specifications.

Attachment 1999449
Good stuff, man. Glad we're digging down into the practical details of the X7. I sat in another one, and think I like it even a little more. Brought the family, and they really like it too. It's now their favorite BMW to sit in. Haven't driven it yet, but not anticipating any issues there.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 12:00 PM   #9
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Good stuff, man. Glad we're digging down into the practical details of the X7. I sat in another one, and think I like it even a little more. Brought the family, and they really like it too. It's now their favorite BMW to sit in. Haven't driven it yet, but not anticipating any issues there.
It’s hilarious but vehicle dynamics and comfort are the last of my concerns, largely because of my satisfaction with the new x5

Also, fwiw, months ago Top Speed said the second row has 90mm more legroom than the x5. That’s 3.5”, which is what we have been hypothesizing
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 12:15 PM   #10
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Iiiiiiiiinteresting... yeah, 3.5" isn't earth-shattering, but that much does make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #11
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
When me and my family abused the X7 we saw. I also put the 2nd row all the way back and there is a ton of legroom. I think the specs are probably measured in the middle of its movable range. My kids had a ball with all the space between the 2nd & 3rd row. Sucks we have to wait until the end of the year when the 45e comes out to get one, we want it now, especially with the inlaws visiting April-June.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 02:07 PM   #12
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Can anyone confirm the spare tire fits with he trunk still remaining flush like the X5?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 02:17 PM   #13
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Can anyone confirm the spare tire fits with he trunk still remaining flush like the X5?
You talking about the optional space saver spare? If so, yes
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #14
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The X7 I looked in the trunk, I lifted up the rear floor covering. Because of the 3rd row, it's only maybe half or a third as big as the X5 floor panel. The same full cargo cover is underneath. But I don't know how you'd fit a space saver spare underneath there, or if not, where it'd be instead.
Appreciate 0