06-18-2019, 02:17 PM   #111
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBrown View Post
You have a fair point and I think its a great personal observation. Having traded in a 2018 Range Rover Sport for a 2019 X7, I just sold the X7 after 3 months. While my Range Rover had its issues, it was at least consistent and could be fixed. They were also just annoyances. In the few months I have had my X7 it spent more time in the shop and for a huge variety of issues including losing all power while driving and other stability concerns. Random windows going down(I was always fearful to leave it parked outside if it would rain). This even happened in the service bay, they were baffled. So while I get that many will love the X7, and I do agree it is one of, if not the most luxurious vehicles on the road, it isn't quite fair to shut down the OP due to their feelings. Because if I had my way I would have kept the buggy Rover and its slight issues over the X7 and the daily frustration it caused. So its all about perspective and we all have different vehicles with different issues. I will stand up and say I should have not bought a year 1 product. That is my fault. I also know that BMW will make these perfect as time goes on. But again, I am not sure casting judgement on someone who was just expressing their issues is really fair. We all have our limits and when you spend so much on a vehicle, we will all have different levels of tolerance with issues.

I hope you all enjoy your X7s. I know I will miss mine in many ways. But I also know that when I got into my vehicle every day wondering what wasn't going to work right that day... it wasn't worth it for me to wait it out and play fix/try again. Granted, every time one drives by I will be a bit jealous of your amazing ride/performance/interiors. I will likely regret trading it down the road. But it feels good to be rid of it today. Again, just my feedback on someone who went from pure love to pure annoyance with my X7. Dont yell please, just expressing my situation. :-)
Wow! I don’t blame you for your negative opinion of the X7 or for getting rid of it. It sounds like you truly got a lemon. I hope they bought it back from you. Knocking on wood as I type this, but I’ve had zero issues with mine after 1600 miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 07:24 PM   #112
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewX7 View Post
I'm sorry but this post strikes me as someone who sees the world through a "glass is half empty" point of view and someone who is never going to be happy with anything in their life
What a ludicrous comment to make. Somehow, you make a correlation that someone who has owned BMW's for 25 years and has a set of expectations and is voicing those opinions in a forum designed for that very purpose is somehow leading a miserable life. How rude. Outrageously uncalled for.

Quote:
in spite of owning one of the world's best large SUVs, if not THE best! It sounds to me like you should have bought a mini-van and not an X7, for what you are using it for.
Another ridiculous comment. I couldn't wait to get out of my wife's minivan after 12 years of ownership of various models, but there are some things that minivan's do extremely well that large SUV's would be smart to emulate and BMW has all the pieces in place and missed a huge opportunity.

The X7 is designed to efficiently and luxuriously transport 7 passengers and it's not doing that when it comes to ingress and egress. 40 seconds is an eternity to wait for the motorized middle row to move and complete its process and it inconveniences front row passengers as well. We're not high strung people in a rush. The seats are just painfully slow. Painfully. Especially in the rain or summer heat when all we want to do is get dry or get out of the sun.

Quote:
We upgraded from our 2015 Range Rover which was fully loaded, and are absolutely
more than happy with the X7! Yes, it has it's quirks, as do ALL luxury vehicles, but you are just not going to please the soccer mom or dad who wants as much convenience out of a luxury SUV as your average mini-van kids hauler; those are speciality vehicles meant to do a specific thing. Just because this car has a 7th row, doesn't mean it was specifically designed to cart your kids around in silver spoon luxury, designed to you and your kids specific needs.
More uncalled for attitude, just amazing. Now my kids are spoiled silver spoon types? I don't need a minivan. I just need BMW to put the same level of detail to storage in my $100K X7 as they did in my $60K X5 and in my $50K 430i. For a car this expensive it's ridiculous that BMW cut back on netting and elastic strapping in the largest cargo compartment they've ever produced. There should be more of these organizational and security features, not less.

Ingress and egress. That's the big one. Captain's Chairs give a unique opportunity for BMW to allow 3rd Row passengers to walk through the 2nd Row to get to the 3rd Row and save 40 seconds of waiting in the rain. 4x a day. In both in/out directions. Its a given in a minivan not because it's a soccer mom hauler but because it's fast and more convenient. Add it up. 40 seconds x 4 x 2. That's 5 minutes and 30 seconds. Every day, BMW is asking families to stand outside of the X7 and listen to a complete Justin Timberlake song just to wait for the seats to move so 6 people can do the most basic thing- get in and out of their automobile.

Quote:
I honestly don't get it... So, what do you actually like about the vehicle, if anything?
Shut your mouth. I mean it. Don't speak of me or to me again.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #113
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
JDBrown sorry to hear all that. Did BMW buy back your X7 with all the documented problems, or did you just sell and take a loss?
Took a loss, and that is ok. I knew what I was doing and it was my choice. I am sure if I was to stick with them it would have all been fixed or they would have bought it back. BMW is a great brand and the X7 deserves it flagship SUV reputation. I hope those of you with them have better luck and love them as much as I did mine at first. I did find out I bought the demo vehicle for the dealership, so it was one of the first off the line (even though it only had 30ish miles). Oh well, life goes on right!? :-)
2018 RRS Autobiography - Fuji White (Sold)
2016 BMW M2 - Long Beach Blue (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #114
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
Wow! I don’t blame you for your negative opinion of the X7 or for getting rid of it. It sounds like you truly got a lemon. I hope they bought it back from you. Knocking on wood as I type this, but I’ve had zero issues with mine after 1600 miles.
And I bet you wont. Every brand has a lemon. Sending you tons of positive vibes that mine absorbed all your issues. :-)
2018 RRS Autobiography - Fuji White (Sold)
2016 BMW M2 - Long Beach Blue (Sold)
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50
      06-19-2019, 06:51 PM   #115
x7-AR
Rep
Drives: X7 50i, FTypeR, AMG GT

Speedometer sucks

Surprised no one has mentioned how bad the speedometer is...but since this is my first BMW, I'm gathering that this is not unique to the X7. In my X7, it's greater than 5% off. Since it is a percentage off, the delta gets larger at highway speeds.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:26 PM   #116
NewX7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i, X7 (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
What a ludicrous comment to make. Somehow, you make a correlation that someone who has owned BMW's for 25 years and has a set of expectations and is voicing those opinions in a forum designed for that very purpose is somehow leading a miserable life. How rude. Outrageously uncalled for.

Another ridiculous comment. I couldn't wait to get out of my wife's minivan after 12 years of ownership of various models, but there are some things that minivan's do extremely well that large SUV's would be smart to emulate and BMW has all the pieces in place and missed a huge opportunity.

The X7 is designed to efficiently and luxuriously transport 7 passengers and it's not doing that when it comes to ingress and egress. 40 seconds is an eternity to wait for the motorized middle row to move and complete its process and it inconveniences front row passengers as well. We're not high strung people in a rush. The seats are just painfully slow. Painfully. Especially in the rain or summer heat when all we want to do is get dry or get out of the sun.

More uncalled for attitude, just amazing. Now my kids are spoiled silver spoon types? I don't need a minivan. I just need BMW to put the same level of detail to storage in my $100K X7 as they did in my $60K X5 and in my $50K 430i. For a car this expensive it's ridiculous that BMW cut back on netting and elastic strapping in the largest cargo compartment they've ever produced. There should be more of these organizational and security features, not less.

Ingress and egress. That's the big one. Captain's Chairs give a unique opportunity for BMW to allow 3rd Row passengers to walk through the 2nd Row to get to the 3rd Row and save 40 seconds of waiting in the rain. 4x a day. In both in/out directions. Its a given in a minivan not because it's a soccer mom hauler but because it's fast and more convenient. Add it up. 40 seconds x 4 x 2. That's 5 minutes and 30 seconds. Every day, BMW is asking families to stand outside of the X7 and listen to a complete Justin Timberlake song just to wait for the seats to move so 6 people can do the most basic thing- get in and out of their automobile.

Shut your mouth. I mean it. Don't speak of me or to me again.
Well I didn't come here to insult you personally and I'm sorry you feel that way, but I will still try to tell you a couple of things as nicely as I can...

1) You are trying to fit this vehicle in a box it doesn't belong. This is NOT a $100k mini-van, so get over it! Yes, it could have been, but it's not. 7th row seats in an SUV does not replace mini-van utility. I'm not knocking mini-vans whatsoever--they are great at what they do and designed to do it well. On the other hand a $100k SUV is inherently going to be filled with multitudes of ridiculous compromises like being able to get better times on the track than many super cars but still be able to haul your kids around between soccer matches. If you wanted a mini-van in disguise, which it certainly sounds like you did, then you shouldn't be looking at ANY 7th row capable SUV--not a single brand out there is going to be actually GOOD at hauling 7 people around, 7 days a week.

2) Did you even test drive it or look at these features you are complaining about before you bought it? Obviously no. As a general rule of thumb, 9 times out of 10 the people who go out of their way to come to internet forums to complain rather than to research and share their findings are almost always guilty of never having read the manual to begin with.

3) I still don't get why you seem so surprised about the "massive" 30-40 seconds of time it takes to put electronic seats down? I mean seriously, have you ever in your life tried putting seats down manually? Have you experienced a vehicle in which it's instantaneous? Have you thought that there's an actual reason it's slow, as in SAFETY? The second you crush someone's fingers and the first law-suit rolls in, it's over for BMW. Why don't you try looking at things from the bright side and getting the kids interested in the coordinated ballet dance it takes to put the seats up and down in the first place? That should certainly invoke some smiles if you encouraged them to actually be interested.

4) This is very likely the most technologically advanced SUV the world has ever seen and you are crying and whining about the technology that makes all of our lives more convenient. Technology in general is not designed to make your specific life more convenient. Technology does not serve you personally but rather it's a compromise to serve millions of other people with varying degrees of interest, tastes, needs, etc.

5) I'm sorry and I'm not sure where you are from, but $100k is certainly not "expensive" in the way you are describing it. Just because you spent more on this car than your last one doesn't mean it's supposed to be some "Jeannie in a Bottle" granting your every wish and command!

You can spec an X5 to nearly top 100k, for crying out loud. A fully loaded (non-autobiography) Range Rover is around 110 to 115k with a V8 engine--almost exactly the same as this X7. And yet with the X7, IMO, you get almost twice the amount of luxury, performance, technology, convenience, etc. than I ever had in my 2016 Range Rover. I absolutely LOVED my Range Rover and nearly cried when I traded it in on this X7 and yet there hasn't been a single day that I've regretted it since--the X7 is better in nearly every way except for exterior body styling. The X7 will never, ever be as handsome as a Range Rover, but it's darn close and once you are on the inside of it rather than the outside, you forget about it anyway.

I honestly wish you the best of luck and my criticisms weren't meant to be personal, but obviously they struck a chord somewhere, so maybe you should think about that as well.

Best wishes.
Appreciate 2
Kash190.00
squeaky118.00
      06-19-2019, 09:27 PM   #117
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7-AR View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned how bad the speedometer is...but since this is my first BMW, I'm gathering that this is not unique to the X7. In my X7, it's greater than 5% off. Since it is a percentage off, the delta gets larger at highway speeds.
Yes, this is something BMW and the other German car makers have been doing going back 30 years. I don’t mind it as it has prevented me from getting several speeding tickets, might have prevented a few accidents over the years.

These are fast cars. But now that you know the delta, you can simply drive 90 and know that you are driving 82.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:45 PM   #118
NewX7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What size wheels/tires do you have? Wheel/tire size can greatly throw off the speedometer on any vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:50 PM   #119
NewX7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBrown View Post
You have a fair point and I think its a great personal observation. Having traded in a 2018 Range Rover Sport for a 2019 X7, I just sold the X7 after 3 months. While my Range Rover had its issues, it was at least consistent and could be fixed. They were also just annoyances. In the few months I have had my X7 it spent more time in the shop and for a huge variety of issues including losing all power while driving and other stability concerns. Random windows going down(I was always fearful to leave it parked outside if it would rain). This even happened in the service bay, they were baffled. So while I get that many will love the X7, and I do agree it is one of, if not the most luxurious vehicles on the road, it isn't quite fair to shut down the OP due to their feelings. Because if I had my way I would have kept the buggy Rover and its slight issues over the X7 and the daily frustration it caused. So its all about perspective and we all have different vehicles with different issues. I will stand up and say I should have not bought a year 1 product. That is my fault. I also know that BMW will make these perfect as time goes on. But again, I am not sure casting judgement on someone who was just expressing their issues is really fair. We all have our limits and when you spend so much on a vehicle, we will all have different levels of tolerance with issues.

I hope you all enjoy your X7s. I know I will miss mine in many ways. But I also know that when I got into my vehicle every day wondering what wasn't going to work right that day... it wasn't worth it for me to wait it out and play fix/try again. Granted, every time one drives by I will be a bit jealous of your amazing ride/performance/interiors. I will likely regret trading it down the road. But it feels good to be rid of it today. Again, just my feedback on someone who went from pure love to pure annoyance with my X7. Dont yell please, just expressing my situation. :-)
Really sorry to hear that and definitely sounds like a lemon. Zero issues here after 1500 miles. Yes, it certainly has it's annoyances and quirks I've yet to get used to, but they are honestly nit-picks in comparison to how much I am a fan of it in every other way...

BTW, every 3 years for the last 20 years I've alternated between Landrovers and BMWs. If you go back to Landrover, get an actual Range Rover and not the Sport--you won't regret it! Let us know what you wind up with!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:51 PM   #120
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well I didn't come here to insult you personally
Well, you did. And below are still more insults. It's like you speak in some insult language from an insult planet that the rest of us have never been to.

Quote:
and I'm sorry you feel that way, but I will still try to tell you a couple of things as nicely as I can...
You're not sorry, and all that you took the time to type up is exactly the same stuff you said in your last insulting post. If I wasn't bored right now I wouldn't be responding, but for the sake of making sure that other posters with whom I have a good relationship understand my point of view and not your tainted view of my point of view, read:

Quote:
1) You are trying to fit this vehicle in a box it doesn't belong. This is NOT a $100k mini-van, so get over it! Yes, it could have been, but it's not. 7th row seats in an SUV does not replace mini-van utility.
I have high expectations of BMW after 25 years of being impressed by their vision and innovation. The X7 is a let-down at something very fundamental. It shouldn't take 40 seconds to get into the 3rd Row and it shouldn't take 40 seconds to get out of the 3rd Row. I don't care if it's a minivan, an SUV, a Mini, or a tricycle. 40 seconds is an eternity.

Quote:
2) Did you even test drive it or look at these features you are complaining about before you bought it? Obviously no. As a general rule of thumb, 9 times out of 10 the people who go out of their way to come to internet forums to complain rather than to research and share their findings are almost always guilty of never having read the manual to begin with.
There you go again, generalizing and making assumptions. I went on 3 separate test drives totaling about 60 minutes behind the wheel and I watched no less than 50 YouTube videos. None of the dealers or geniuses taking me on the test drives or the video creators mentioned the fact that the 3rd Row seats have no AC vents unless you order something stupidly called a Cold Weather Package. Because, after all, one associates the need for air conditioning in Arizona with the need for heated armrests in Alaska all the time.

Quote:
3) I still don't get why you seem so surprised about the "massive" 30-40 seconds of time it takes to put electronic seats down? I mean seriously, have you ever in your life tried putting seats down manually? Have you experienced a vehicle in which it's instantaneous? Have you thought that there's an actual reason it's slow, as in SAFETY? The second you crush someone's fingers and the first law-suit rolls in, it's over for BMW. Why don't you try looking at things from the bright side and getting the kids interested in the coordinated ballet dance it takes to put the seats up and down in the first place? That should certainly invoke some smiles if you encouraged them to actually be interested.
I'd ask my kids in the 2nd Row what they think about the marvelous technology if they weren't so angry at me for buying a car that forces them to get out of the car to stand in the pouring rain for 40 seconds just to let their little brother climb in the back when we pick him up from hockey practice.

I'd ask my kids in the 3rd Row what they think of the value of the Alaskan Cold Weather Package as they sweat to death in the Arizona Heat without AC vents.

Our X5 had good old manual 2nd Row seats which moved out of the way in under 3 seconds, let the 3rd Row passenger get in in 3 seconds, and pull the 2nd Row seat back into position in 1 second. 7 seconds. Not 40.

The next time you're thirsty, grab a glass, go up to the refrigerator, look at your watch, and stand there for 40 seconds before filling it up with water. The next time you need to go to the bathroom, walk in, pull down your pants, and stand at the urinal for 40 seconds without letting a single drop escape. Then you can tell me about the value of 40 seconds spent on something that used to take 7.

Quote:
4) This is very likely the most technologically advanced SUV the world has ever seen and you are crying and whining about the technology that makes all of our lives more convenient. Technology in general is not designed to make your specific life more convenient. Technology does not serve you personally but rather it's a compromise to serve millions of other people with varying degrees of interest, tastes, needs, etc.
Again with your assumptions. Just stop. I'm all for technology that makes our lives better. It's why I've been loyal to BMW for decades. In a $100,000 German luxury car I'm just not interested in bloated technology that solves a problem we don't have.

Pushing one button to electronically activate and position the 3rd Row is brilliant, it's a huge time saver. But making the condition of that improvement that the 2nd Row cannot be manually opened and closed like the X5 is a disastrous step backwards. The concept is to get in/out of the car quickly and efficiently. This electronic seat ballet that you are so proud of makes the situation worse, not better.

Quote:
5) I'm sorry and I'm not sure where you are from, but $100k is certainly not "expensive" in the way you are describing it. Just because you spent more on this car than your last one doesn't mean it's supposed to be some "Jeannie in a Bottle" granting your every wish and command!
I have a net worth of $17 million dollars. I hope you find that acceptable.

Quote:
I honestly wish you the best of luck and my criticisms weren't meant to be personal, but obviously they struck a chord somewhere, so maybe you should think about that as well.
Your redundancies did not strike a chord. Your attitude continues to. Don't refer to me or reply to my posts again.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:32 PM   #121
NewX7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, you did. And below are still more insults. It's like you speak in some insult language from an insult planet that the rest of us have never been to.

You're not sorry, and all that you took the time to type up is exactly the same stuff you said in your last insulting post. If I wasn't bored right now I wouldn't be responding, but for the sake of making sure that other posters with whom I have a good relationship understand my point of view and not your tainted view of my point of view, read:

I have high expectations of BMW after 25 years of being impressed by their vision and innovation. The X7 is a let-down at something very fundamental. It shouldn't take 40 seconds to get into the 3rd Row and it shouldn't take 40 seconds to get out of the 3rd Row. I don't care if it's a minivan, an SUV, a Mini, or a tricycle. 40 seconds is an eternity.

There you go again, generalizing and making assumptions. I went on 3 separate test drives totaling about 60 minutes behind the wheel and I watched no less than 50 YouTube videos. None of the dealers or geniuses taking me on the test drives or the video creators mentioned the fact that the 3rd Row seats have no AC vents unless you order something stupidly called a Cold Weather Package. Because, after all, one associates the need for air conditioning in Arizona with the need for heated armrests in Alaska all the time.

I'd ask my kids in the 2nd Row what they think about the marvelous technology if they weren't so angry at me for buying a car that forces them to get out of the car to stand in the pouring rain for 40 seconds just to let their little brother climb in the back when we pick him up from hockey practice.

I'd ask my kids in the 3rd Row what they think of the value of the Alaskan Cold Weather Package as they sweat to death in the Arizona Heat without AC vents.

Our X5 had good old manual 2nd Row seats which moved out of the way in under 3 seconds, let the 3rd Row passenger get in in 3 seconds, and pull the 2nd Row seat back into position in 1 second. 7 seconds. Not 40.

The next time you're thirsty, grab a glass, go up to the refrigerator, look at your watch, and stand there for 40 seconds before filling it up with water. The next time you need to go to the bathroom, walk in, pull down your pants, and stand at the urinal for 40 seconds without letting a single drop escape. Then you can tell me about the value of 40 seconds spent on something that used to take 7.

Again with your assumptions. Just stop. I'm all for technology that makes our lives better. It's why I've been loyal to BMW for decades. In a $100,000 German luxury car I'm just not interested in bloated technology that solves a problem we don't have.

Pushing one button to electronically activate and position the 3rd Row is brilliant, it's a huge time saver. But making the condition of that improvement that the 2nd Row cannot be manually opened and closed like the X5 is a disastrous step backwards. The concept is to get in/out of the car quickly and efficiently. This electronic seat ballet that you are so proud of makes the situation worse, not better.

I have a net worth of $17 million dollars. I hope you find that acceptable.

Your redundancies did not strike a chord. Your attitude continues to. Don't refer to me or reply to my posts again.
I honestly didn't want to get into it, but for someone with "$17m" of net worth I'm pretty surprised you don't have thicker skin, especially in regards to random people on the internet expressing their god-given opinion that you sound like an entitled snob who has nothing better to do than scream at technology that doesn't do what you think it should do, solely because you "paid for it."

For one thing, I honestly hope you are teaching your children better than "standing around for "AN ENTIRE 40 SECONDS" is a waste of their time. Take a deep breath. Smell the air. Stretch your arms and relax, man!

I grew up in Arizona and I know that standing outside in the pouring rain for 40 seconds isn't something that happens much. In the same vein, Air Conditioning isn't going to do you many favors on the inside of a vehicle that's been sitting in 120 degrees for an hour or two, or more.

I'm not sure if you've heard about it, but there's a really cool feature, EXCLUSIVE to the X7, called "rolling down the windows!"

I'm really hoping this doesn't turn into a pissing match, but I can tell you that here in Northern CA, you'd be barely kissing the edge of upper-middle class with a net worth of $17m.

If you talked to anyone the way you are talking to me because of "how much money you have" or "what your net worth is or whatever," you would literally get laughed out of town. I myself and people I work with every day on a daily basis have anywhere from 10 to 100 times your net worth and I can tell you they are much nicer and more patient than you have demonstrated yourself to be on this forum.

The bottom line to me is that it sounds like you are a miserable SOB who has nothing better to do than shout at the clouds on internet forums because your "amazing" net worth can't and never will make you happy. God forbid you make even more money some day and start to equate that with a sense of "power" over others...

Keep on trucking buddy, but every time you ask me to not refer to you or your posts again, I am going to, because in case you haven't checked recently, this is a free country and there's something called "free speech" that thankfully isn't (yet) moderated by people who think they are better than others because of their "net worth" (which if you think $17m qualifies you as "rich"--well than good for you! ��)

Last edited by NewX7; 06-19-2019 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 08:17 AM   #122
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I honestly didn't want to get into it, but <snip>
I didn't read beyond this sentence fragment, I think it's safe to assume it isn't an apology but rather more insults.

Do me and the board a favor, stop responding to my posts and don't refer to me in yours. Third request.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #123
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
I didn't read beyond this sentence fragment, I think it's safe to assume it isn't an apology but rather more insults.

Do me and the board a favor, stop responding to my posts and don't refer to me in yours. Third request.
Before this gets really ugly....

settings > add member to your ignore list so you can't (easily) see each other's posts
Attached Images

Bogey4me152.00
JDBrown62.50
      06-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #124
x7-AR
Rep
Drives: X7 50i, FTypeR, AMG GT

Quote:
What size wheels/tires do you have? Wheel/tire size can greatly throw off the speedometer on any vehicle.
This is a brand new model year so it has the tires/rims it came with...which I believe are limited to 21" and 22". Mine are the run-flat 22". This overage is likely to influence driving habits and limit accidents or damage from accidents so BMW can say they are safer cars on some list somewhere. These cars have all the technology they need to ensure a precise and accurate speedometer regardless of tire/wheel factors. I also got a response from BMWUSA that admitted to "speedometer advancement" on their vehicles. There are also coding options available aftermarket for some BMW vehicles (not the X7 sadly) to turn on "true speed" instead of "corrected speed" for the speedometer which supports the notion that these vehicles have all the info they need to do this already.

I get that I can do mental math on the highway but customers should be told ahead of time and have the option to turn off this (BS) speed advancement "feature" for those considering the X7.

Last edited by x7-AR; 06-20-2019 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 07:12 PM   #125
UGAdawg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
The funny question is does the BMW navigation system use the "true speed" or "advanced speed" when giving the eta for trips. This certainly would make a difference on longer trips...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 07:34 PM   #126
MarkH62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, 750Li

Quote:
There was a separate thread on this topic. I'm also a first time BMW owner and was surprised when I realized this was going on. Maybe I'll eventually get used to it, but since none of my other vehicles do this it may take a while for me to adjust.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 11:02 PM   #127
NewX7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:

This is an Internet enthusiast forum, my friend. We are here to read other people’s posts and comment on them.

First of all, you came here to an enthusiast forum to do nothing but bitch and complain about your new car, and make it very clear how equally unhappy your kids are because of it all as well (biggest facepalm ever).

If you really want to create your own personal echo-chamber, where nobody does anything but cheer every negative thought you have, there are actual social networks out there that are perfect for that sort of thing.

How about in the meantime, you please do me a favor and don’t ever ask me to not refer to you or your posts again!
Appreciate 1
JDBrown62.50
      06-21-2019, 03:01 AM   #128
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Guys, just chill out. We are all here to talk about the car we love. Yes, sometime, someone will unfortunately have a bad experience, I truly get it, my last Audi was a freaking nightmare. But I think we should maintain a civil attitude when venting or defending.

The X7 is definitely a great car, IMO. It drives much better than the Audi Q8 I replaced and it's much more luxurious at the same time. Is it the best vehicle in the world? Definitely not. Is it perfect? Definitely not. But I like it, and that's the only thing I care.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2019, 05:23 AM   #129
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Presets is not remembered as last position and instead defaults back to XM, FM, etc. - This is my biggest nitpick with the X7. I would believe most people on Day 1 set their radio stations as Presets and spend the rest of the time they drive the car jumping between stations on the Presets list. Despite this, every time you end a trip and start a new one, the radio defaults to the last band you were listening to instead of the Presets list.

Wireless charger target zone - Every time I lie my phone down on the wireless charging pad it's an adventure, the sweet spot of the coil is too small, and one has to pull it down and towards the right to maybe get a solid connection that will last the duration of one trip.

Wireless charger blue light location - The car must have been designed for the UK as the blue light that indicates your smartphone is actually wirelessly charging is on the left edge of the pad which is impossible to see from the drivers seat unless you stretch your head across the center console.

Awkward way the front compartment opens - I'm not sure who thought that pushing down and forward on a wood door coated in shellac was a good idea but my wife can't figure it out and its a matter of time before she scratches the hell out of it.

Really small glove compartment - For the biggest car in BMW history it surely has the smallest glovebox in BMW history. Can't even fit the usual amount of napkins and papers in there, and it doesn't bow down deep inside. It has an almost flat bottom so keys and pens move all over the place including forward right into your lap.

No red/blue temperature shortcut - For long-time BMW enthusiasts this one is a huge miss, that little red/blue temperature wheel really made a quick and easy business of tweaking the temperature to be just right in winter, spring, summer, and fall. Now it's buried in the climate control menus. And unlike the Sync function, you can't make a 1-8 shortcut button to it. I use this wheel all the time. Now I have to drill through menus and it's awful.

Armrest leather and delicate aluminum trim unprotected with 3rd row folded down - We spend most of our time with the last row stored and use the back space for hockey equipment, groceries, soccer gear, etc. I wish BMW would have engineered for that use case and protect the 3rd row's armrests and aluminum trims so they aren't so exposed and won't get scratched.

Slowness of 3rd and 2nd row seats - I get the fact that the car is automated in this regard, but it's way too slow to be practical and frustrates the family. And since there are 4 different ways to trigger the movement of the middle row, couldn't one of them have been good 'ol manual mode so that my kids can get in and out in a fraction of the time?

First row seats move when back rows move - Heaven help a pregnant woman in the front passenger seat if the driver has to make a pitstop to pick up someone who has to get in the 3rd row as her seat folds almost perpendicular and slides towards the dashboard unexpectedly.

Captain's Chair passthru wasn't considered - It's like BMW went out of their way to say "nope, not going to let you use this car like a minivan, not going to make it easy for kids to go through the side doors and glide into the 3rd row" when it's something that would be a huge advantage to consumers and against their competitors. The armrests should have been made thinner or removable and that plastic tray cup holder shouldn't be on the floor. It takes almost 40 seconds to get a child into the 3rd row with all the time to wait for the motors to move everything and a second row passthru would have been a welcome addition. It's like BMW doesn't know who is buying these things.

Stunning lack of 3rd row air vents - This one is so outrageous its mind-boggling. If you don't have a tough winter and you think you don't need the Cold Weather Package, guess what- without it, you don't get A/C vents for the passengers in the claustrophobic 3rd row. They should call it a Hot Weather Package instead or at least train their salespeople on the subject. My kids are going to hate me on hot days. What $100K 7-passenger luxury SUV doesn't have rear air vents?

No remember last position on auto start/stop - BMW used to, as a courtesy upon request, code the car so that those of us who hate the start/stop feature could have it disabled. Now they don't do it. And the button on the X7 is small, slippery, and doesn't take on the first attempt half the time.

CarPlay works less than half the time - BMW says the problem is Apple's iOS but without fail every time BMW makes an iDrive update it breaks iOS and not the other way around. You would think they would figure it out by now.

The car can lower itself but it doesn't - I really like this one. Want the car to squat down when you put it in Park? Nope. Want the car to stay low down to make it easy to get back in on the next trip? Nope. Want the stance to be way down for a lower sense of gravity in Comfort or Sport mode? Nope. Want the car to be as low as humanly possible so you can squeeze into a parking garage without decapitating the cargo box on the roof? Nope. What is the point of this feature? It's an airbag to nowhere.

No bottle strap in rear compartment like 4 Series - Over the years BMW has added some nice touches in the trunks and rear compartments of its cars like the elastic bottle strap in my X5 which was the perfect place for a sports bottle enroute to baseball practice. In the X7, the SUV flagship, we get a small space with a tiny net and no other options in the most cavernous rear compartment in brand history.

Big Picture #1: It's like the designers assumed a world where everyone was using all three rows all the time. The electric folding seats are pitifully slow. The leather armrests and aluminum trim are exposed to damage from sliding cans and hockey sticks. There is no sense of tie-downs or nets to hold groceries or water bottles in place.

Big Picture #2: They call this "automation"? To get going on my trip, I need to a) start the car, b) hit the Auto Stop/Start button to off, c) hit the radio menu and d) navigate to Presets, e) drill in menus to get to the red/blue temperature wheel, and f) hit one of the shortcut buttons to set climate control to Sync. That's 6 actions in my X7 that used to be 1 in my X5. Not good.

There are many wonderful things about the X7, but in almost every case BMW has taken a step backwards on consumer conveniences and I can't fathom why. Their User Interface may be the best in the business but whoever is making the User Engagement decisions has most definitely never had kids, never owned a minivan, is never in a rush to get anywhere, and really likes to push a lot of buttons for the sake of a clean looking cockpit.
All totally valid beefs. Only thing I would say is that I took the arm rests out and never have to deal with the slow in/out. Only for adults, kids just go through the center no problem.

As for a comment that effectively said that this car is only 100k, man, I don’t see things that way. Price inflation on these vehicles means people should demand certain things. Not necessarily Todd’s list top to bottom, but certain things are inexcusable in their absence at that price point.
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1291.00
      06-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #130
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Very rarely do i have to use the actual mechanism to move the seats. My kids and their friends (ages 6-10) just go through the middle. Even I can just step over the armrests and move on back. This would especially be a good option if the kids are standing in the rain for 40 seconds waiting on the seats to move.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #131
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
Very rarely do i have to use the actual mechanism to move the seats. My kids and their friends (ages 6-10) just go through the middle. Even I can just step over the armrests and move on back. This would especially be a good option if the kids are standing in the rain for 40 seconds waiting on the seats to move.
5’1” females and children, sure, but asking the less agile to walk over those arm rests is a last resort for me. I make them wait 30 secs for their own sake
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #132
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
5’1” females and children, sure, but asking the less agile to walk over those arm rests is a last resort for me. I make them wait 30 secs for their own sake
Touché, my friend. It’s probably not that easy for normal sized people. Finally found a perk for being short.
Appreciate 1
amesh4.50