BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 rear-ended. Can this be repaired?

10-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #1
djxilo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 550xi, 2019 X7 50i

X7 rear-ended. Can this be repaired?

My wife was rear-ended by an F-550 this morning. See below for pictures... can this be repaired?

Also, she noticed the headrest "popped" out immediately upon impact. Not sure if this is a safety feature by design but seemed a little dangerous to me.
Attached Images

Last edited by djxilo; 10-04-2019 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Oooof, glad everyone's ok. Maybe the headrest popped out to combat whip lash? Looks intentional.

With regards to whether that is repairable - it most certainly is repairable. But I'm not sure that insurance is going to go down that road. Factors in favor of repair: 1) Looks like the airbags didn't go off 2) it's a 50i so a higher % has to be hit before totaling. Factors not in favor of totaling: a lot of panels were damaged, could be frame damage in there too.

I would push for a decision to have the car totaled. Repair will probably take longer than ordering a new car.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 01:08 PM   #3
JCF15X5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 M SPORT

Glad to hear the family is ok - what a scary situation.

Looks like a total loss to me - if not; grab a hammer. lol
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 05:16 PM   #4
Tex_X7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i (Jon Snow)

Yikes, I hope everyone is ok.

That rear passenger tire looks a little too close to the front part of the wheel well. I think there is some frame/driveline damage. Way more than body work here. Will be a total loss.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #5
djxilo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_X7 View Post
Yikes, I hope everyone is ok.

That rear passenger tire looks a little too close to the front part of the wheel well. I think there is some frame/driveline damage. Way more than body work here. Will be a total loss.
Could have been a lot worse but luckily the X7 is built like a tank.

Good catch on the shifting of the wheel. I will make sure the adjuster is aware of this. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #6
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Oh, man. So sorry to see this. Really hope the wife and kids are a-ok, both physically and emotionally, and that you get a good resolution with the car, one way or another!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 04:50 AM   #7
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

Glad everyone is ok. That's the most important thing .
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50
      10-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

So a couple of things.

I am glad everyone is ok.

Did you get any third row pics from inside. Interested to shh how intact that was after such a large vehicle hit you.

The other thing is the extended headrest. I believe I read somewhere that the headrest is supposed to do that to prevent whiplash.

I would not want to fix it. It would bother you anytime you hear a weird noise. I'd talk to a lawyer and pursue a new vehicle.
      10-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #9
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

First of all, I'm glad your wife is OK and wasn't injured. She may have some whiplash that she's unaware of. After she sleeps on it she may notice some irritation in her neck tomorrow which is what generally happens.

Insurance companies generally repair cars these days unless they're more than 70% damaged. You did not mention if you are buying or leasing your but if you are buying it I would push for a total replacement from the other insurance company. If you are leasing it you may have no choice but to have it repaired since it's not really your car. People who own or are buying their vehicle and have this type of accident generally lose money when it comes time to trade the vehicle later because of the damage report that ends up following the vehicle for the rest of its life.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 08:14 PM   #10
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxilo View Post
My wife was rear-ended by an F-550 this morning. See below for pictures... can this be repaired?

Also, she noticed the headrest "popped" out immediately upon impact. Not sure if this is a safety feature by design but seemed a little dangerous to me.
Hi sorry to hear you had such accident and happy to hear the family is right. I think looking at the damage what is worth noticing how well the control crash zones worked this is how it supposed to work, crumble all but leave doors intact and even with the back wheel moved towards front it shows that impact wise this is safe looking car.

I would push for total loss, typically insurance tries to fix cars with used parts the good news is that since X7 is so new they will not find them so the repair cost will be much higher, I would use the band back wheel as indicator of frame and drive system damage, if the wheel moved perhaps even the drive shaft got pushed and this could be pushing on your transmission, sure there always is some play but I would add this as possible outcome to increase the damages.

Keep us posted how it goes and if you can show images from trunk it would be interesting for the rest of X7 users to see.

Again what is most important that the car did what is should it saved your family!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 08:19 PM   #11
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:

Also the car feels bend towards the driver side the last image when looking at rear lights it feels like the right one is more towards the center then left, this could be impression.

Also the line that goes along side windows, looks like the back is bend down as the door does not match height wise any longer, what is interesting the door gap still remains consistent
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #12
djxilo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
So a couple of things.

Did you get any third row pics from inside. Interested to shh how intact that was after such a large vehicle hit you.

The other thing is the extended headrest. I believe I read somewhere that the headrest is supposed to do that to prevent whiplash.

I would not want to fix it. It would bother you anytime you hear a weird noise. I'd talk to a lawyer and pursue a new vehicle.
I don't have better pics of the 3rd row. There does appear to be some protrusion of the passenger side panels and pillar/hatch, but the interior seems to be in decent shape. Luckily there weren't any passengers back there.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 08:59 AM   #13
djxilo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
First of all, I'm glad your wife is OK and wasn't injured. She may have some whiplash that she's unaware of. After she sleeps on it she may notice some irritation in her neck tomorrow which is what generally happens.

Insurance companies generally repair cars these days unless they're more than 70% damaged. You did not mention if you are buying or leasing your but if you are buying it I would push for a total replacement from the other insurance company. If you are leasing it you may have no choice but to have it repaired since it's not really your car. People who own or are buying their vehicle and have this type of accident generally lose money when it comes time to trade the vehicle later because of the damage report that ends up following the vehicle for the rest of its life.
Unfortunately we own it. A total loss would be ideal but it'll be an uphill battle since the ACV is so high. There does seem to be some frame and drivetrain damage which could compromise the overall integrity/drive-ability of the vehicle, no matter how good the repair.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 01:35 PM   #14
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Unfortunately we own it. A total loss would be ideal but it'll be an uphill battle since the ACV is so high. There does seem to be some frame and drivetrain damage which could compromise the overall integrity/drive-ability of the vehicle, no matter how good the repair.
I agree so if I were in your position I would insist they write you a check to get you out the X7 so you can buy a new X7. I know I wouldn't want a brand new X7 with a major repair history. Best wishes to you and your wife, keep us posted on your progress.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 07:22 AM   #15
djxilo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
So a couple of things.

I went back to the vehicle yesterday and took some pictures of the 3rd row/trunk for you. There's definitely some structural damage. Rear passenger door doesn't close correctly and the lower storage compartment cannot be opened.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #16
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
I went back to the vehicle yesterday and took some pictures of the 3rd row/trunk for you. There's definitely some structural damage. Rear passenger door doesn't close correctly and the lower storage compartment cannot be opened.
Make sure the insurance company sees this. I had a minor accident recently in my 2019 X5. Hit a pole backing up in a parking lot. All the damage is cosmetic, but requires replacing rear bumper, panel, lights, etc. $8400. I don’t know if it will affect resale, and the car was perfectly driveable and even the trunk still worked.

But I questioned the insurance company on the cost and they said their adjuster went over it and approved everything. Since YOU are depending on someone else’s insurance company, I’d be very sure your insurance company knows the frame is damaged.

It’s hard to total a new car in this price range. Good luck and keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #17
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Who is the other driver’s insurance company? If reputable with a deep balance sheet then this will be handled very procedurally. If some crap company then a lot more discretion enters the mix.

Either way largely a numbers game. Whether or not it’s totaled is out of your hands so don’t stress too much. Not much you can do beyond really working to verify the integrity of the damage assessment. Telling the other company you want it to be totaled won’t do you anything. Of course you want that. And they of course do not.

If, worst case, they fix it for 45k or damage for example, you are driving a car that has sustained a loss of value from its previous value. Maybe there’s some legal recourse possible against the driver to recoup some of that. Ask a good lawyer because it’s indisputable that a vehicle with documented repairs, cosmetic or otherwise, suffers a loss of value in private and wholesale markets alike

Last edited by ppagiga; 10-16-2019 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #18
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Who is the other driver’s insurance company? If reputable with a deep balance sheet then this will be handled very procedurally. If some crap company then a lot more discretion enters the mix.

Either way largely a numbers game. Whether or not it’s totaled is out of your hands so don’t stress too much. Not much you can do beyond really working to verify the integrity of the damage assessment. Telling the other company you want it to be totaled won’t do you anything. Of course you want that. And they of course do not.

If, worst case, they fix it for 45k or damage for example, you are driving a car that has sustained a loss of value from its previous value. Maybe there’s some legal recourse possible against the driver to recoup some of that. Ask a good lawyer because it’s indisputable that a vehicle with documented repairs, cosmetic or otherwise, suffers a loss of value in private and wholesale markets alike
Yup, if it's owned and it is repaired, look into diminished value claims. I've filed twice, once in NC and once in MD. Both times repairs were about 15k, and I got diminished value checks of about 2-3k.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #19
djxilo
Private
Rep

Thank you all for your advice and support. The repair estimates (based on what could be observed) came out to around $40k.

Luckily, insurance has deemed the vehicle a total loss. My claims representative mentioned that they would likely uncover additional structural/mechanical damage once they start taking apart the car, and that it would be difficult to restore the vehicle back to its original condition. Getting BMW to honor the original factory warranty could also be a challenge.

All that being said, I'm grateful that no one was seriously hurt. The at-fault vehicle was a commercial pickup carrying a load of counter-tops. Probably pushing 10-12,000 lbs, if I had to guess. The x7 did it's job and kept the wifey safe.

It's a shame that we only got to put 2,000 miles on the clock, but this is probably the best path forward.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50
      10-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #20
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Good outcome on all fronts. Best of luck with the new order!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #21
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Glad it could be resolved early on with a total loss and no one getting hurt, will be much easier to deal with on your part than having the car endlessly worked on and fixed.

Are you planning on another X7? I noticed you had a 50i so I wonder if you're going to go with the M50i now that its the only V8 model available.
      10-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #22
Jefflikescars
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i, Navigator, Mod Y Perf

Quote:
It's a shame that we only got to put 2,000 miles on the clock, but this is probably the best path forward.
So the question is... Now what are you going to get?

Another X7? Something different?
Appreciate 0