BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Aftermarket trailer hitch help?

10-22-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
2019msportx7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i M Sport

Aftermarket trailer hitch help?

Hey all,

Want to get an aftermarket trailer hitch for towing on my X7. Anyone have any experience with one that they liked? Also is the car already prewired for the brake lights?

I found this one that looks cool:

https://stealthhitches.com/products/...7-2019-present

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 05:12 PM   #2
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, E60 M5, F06 M6, F15, F90

+1
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 11:49 PM   #3
amesh
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

I installed it. It took them about 4 hours. Looks good so far. Only got the hitch option. If you do want the trailer option make sure to get the active lights. I will send some pics shortly.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2019, 09:33 AM   #4
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019msportx7 View Post
Hey all,

Want to get an aftermarket trailer hitch for towing on my X7. Anyone have any experience with one that they liked? Also is the car already prewired for the brake lights?

I found this one that looks cool:

https://stealthhitches.com/products/...7-2019-present

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
The tow rating with an aftermarket hitch is 5900 lbs, but 7500 with the factory hitch. I looked at the parts catalog and it appears the rear brakes are larger when the tow package is ordered from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 01:16 PM   #5
amesh
Rep

Here’s my setup. I believe the towing capacity is on par with. The factory install version. This takes less than 30sec to setup and take down each time. Feels really sturdy.
Attached Images

Last edited by amesh; 10-28-2019 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2019, 11:15 PM   #6
2019msportx7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesh View Post
Here’s my setup. I believe the towing capacity is on par with. The factory install version. This takes less than 30sec to setup and take down each time. Feels really sturdy.
Wow! Looks awesome! How much was it to install and where did you get it done?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 11:30 PM   #7
amesh
Rep

Quote:
Wow! Looks awesome! How much was it to install and where did you get it done?
Paid $475 for the install. Went to Rack & Road. Great bunch who did a great job. Had some references from body shops who recommended them.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #8
2019msportx7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Paid $475 for the install. Went to Rack & Road. Great bunch who did a great job. Had some references from body shops who recommended them.
Thanks bro! This was super helpful! CHEERS!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #9
2019msportx7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What happened to the photos?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 11:00 PM   #10
amesh
Rep

Quote:
What happened to the photos?
Back up now
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 03:59 PM   #11
OuaAia
Rep
Drives: Lexus RX400h, LCJ200,

Does stealth hitch let you keep the "kick to open" option? My understanding is the factory trailer hitch option means the motion sensors get disabled/removed.

Is there anything required on the install that would affect a lease return?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #12
amesh
Rep

Yes, you do keep the kick to open option. I like that a lot. I would doubt that it would mess up your lease but I would say. Honestly, they probably wouldn’t know unless u told them.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 06:30 AM   #13
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, you do keep the kick to open option. I like that a lot. I would doubt that it would mess up your lease but I would say. Honestly, they probably wouldn't know unless u told them.
So how does the X7 "behave" when towing with an aftermarket hitch?

The X7, unlike most full size SUVs on the road, is thoroughly integrated mechanically and electronically with the factory tow hitch. For example, from what I have read, the air suspension, the transmission and iDrive are just a few components that are integrated with the factory trailer hitch. You obviously don't get that integration with an aftermarket setup.

Not saying that using an aftermarket tow hitch is dangerous on the X7. But without the full integration, you would be missing out on the full towing capabilities and experience the X7 has to offer. But I guess an additional question would be, is the integrated towing system of the X7 worth it? Or is it a case of you don't miss what you don't know?

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 05:57 AM   #14
amesh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post

The X7, unlike most full size SUVs on the road, is thoroughly integrated mechanically and electronically with the factory tow hitch. For example, from what I have read, the air suspension, the transmission and iDrive are just a few components that are integrated with the factory trailer hitch. You obviously don't get that integration with an aftermarket setup.

Not saying that using an aftermarket tow hitch is dangerous on the X7. But without the full integration, you would be missing out on the full towing capabilities and experience the X7 has to offer. But I guess an additional question would be, is the integrated towing system of the X7 worth it? Or is it a case of you don't miss what you don't know?

For me it was about carrying our family bikes using the hitch, so towing wasn’t a factor in my decision. I would have gotten the towing package if that was something that I was considering.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      11-06-2019, 09:21 PM   #15
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, you do keep the kick to open option. I like that a lot. I would doubt that it would mess up your lease but I would say. Honestly, they probably wouldn't know unless u told them.

The integrated towing is cheaper than aftermarket so by asking if it is worth it do you mean cost or benefits wise?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 06:07 AM   #16
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

The integrated towing is cheaper than aftermarket so by asking if it is worth it do you mean cost or benefits wise?
From a pure cost perspective, the benefit of getting a factory hitch seems initially very clear - but can also be relative and situation dependent. However, if you take into account buying off the lot vs ordering a new X7, the pure cost benefit can be blurred a bit. For example, a dealer could offer a very large discount on a vehicle in their inventory which could offset (or even eliminate) the additional cost of adding an aftermarket hitch.

I have been watching the dealer inventory in my area (and there are a lot of dealers in the Washington, DC area). I have found several X7's configured "close" to the configuration I want, with a factory hitch being at the top of my list. I have found several X7's in my area that had everything I wanted - except the hitch (and I am sure the dealers would offer a very good deal on them). The potential to get a "very good" deal on an X7 in dealer inventory vs a "decent" deal on an ordered X7 configured with a hitch is definitely part of my cost mental calculus.

Given the fact that people are still getting pretty good deals on ordered X7's and that I would still prefer the full vehicle integration of the factory hitch, I am still leaning hard towards getting a factory hitch (either ordered or from dealer inventory). But I still want to learn as much about the factory hitch performance (there is still not much real world experience info out there on it yet) so that when the time comes to pull the trigger I can make an informed decision. In the past, trailer hitch tech was very simple and I would not think twice about factory vs aftermarket hitch options. However, in typical BMW fashion, BMW has added some nice "tech" to the simple trailer hitch (at least to me anyway) so I am paying more attention to it .

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #17
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Quote:

Factory Hitch comes with larger rear brakes too and has a higher tow rating.
Appreciate 0