BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Hands Off - How Long

11-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
kwilkins
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S e

Hands Off - How Long

I currently have a 2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo and am considering the X7 for improved ride quality. Due to a lot of highway driving and frequent traffic I use the Porsche automated driving mode frequently.

I have read/seen a lot of reviews on the X7 with conflicting views on how effective the autonomous driving features are and was hoping folks with an X7 could share your experience and the specifics of how the X7 system works in real life driving. I'm very interested to know how long you can keep your hands off the wheel at highway speed.

Here's a short version of how the Porsche performs:

You can keep hands off the wheel for 30 seconds before receiving a friendly reminder to put your hands on the wheel. A few seconds later there is an unfriendly reminder (loud beep) and 2 seconds after that the seatbelt tugs and the car starts to break.

In traffic it will bring the vehicle to a complete stop, If the car in front moves in less than 10 seconds the Porsche will follow. If more than 10 seconds you have to hit the gas pedal to resume.

The steering, acceleration, and braking in autonomous mode are fairly good. From time to time there is a harsh braking and acceleration can be abrupt in certain situations, it's a Porsche. The steering generally does a good job, I do have to pay attention but don't often have to take over to adjust the steering.

Questions on the X7:

I understand below a certain speed you never have to touch the wheel as long as you are paying attention. At what speed does this work up to?

If you are in traffic and stop will the X7 start again on it's own, even if you are stooped for more than a few seconds?

At highway speed how many seconds can you keep your hands off the wheel before you are reminded to take over?

At highway speed how long can you keep your hands off the wheel before the car will disengage the system?

How well does the steering work in autonomous mode?

Will it steer around bends?

I welcome any input on the subject from those with experience using the X7 autonomous system.

Thanks,
ken
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
I have had mine for all of 24 hours, but that included a 4 hour ride home where I used driver assist the entire time.

This actually wasn't an option I planned on getting if I were to order so I was skeptical if I was going to use it, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
I currently have a 2019 Porsche
Questions on the X7:

I understand below a certain speed you never have to touch the wheel as long as you are paying attention. At what speed does this work up to?
I didn't get to experience this, but I have read around 40 MPH

If you are in traffic and stop will the X7 start again on it's own, even if you are stooped for more than a few seconds?
Again, the traffic jam assist didn't engage in my trip, but I was on a 4 lane highway with 55 MPH speeds for a portion of my trip that also had a few traffic lights along the route. This got a little odd since I would see a red light a half mile down the road where I typically would have started to coast and lightly add in some braking on my own, but I suppose the car did what could be expected based on the surroundings; it continued to chug along at 55 until it noticed a car within range, while speeding by other cars in adjacent lanes who were coasting as I would have. I didn't doubt it's ability here since there was certainly no car in front of me, and I could see the other cars in the live view, but it was a little unsettling.

Once I started to approach the light with a stopped car in front of me it did an admirable job at smoothly slowing down to about 5 MPH, but it got closer to the car in front of me than I was comfortable with so I hit the brakes. I don't know if it would have come to a full stop here, but I would imagine at the very least emergency braking would have kicked in. I'm sure traffic jam assist is an entirely different experience than this since there is a ceiling on the speed and all.

At highway speed how many seconds can you keep your hands off the wheel before you are reminded to take over?
About the same as the Porsche, ~30 seconds.

At highway speed how long can you keep your hands off the wheel before the car will disengage the system?
Just a few seconds longer, it goes from a indicator in the instrument cluster (and/or HUD depending on your personal setup), to lights on the steering wheel within another couple of seconds, to an audible beep letting you know it's disengaging.

Very well as long as you change the lane departure warning setting to "early". "High" and even "medium" are equivalent of bumper bowling.

Will it steer around bends?
Yes, to an extent, but further of an extent than I had imagined. There were some tight/20mph on-ramps that I needed to take control because the radius was tighter than the car liked, but doing so was seamless, and I was happy that the system was able to resume on it's own afterwards. I would say it had the wheel turned a good 60+ degrees before it was too tight at reasonable speeds.

I did notice many roads seem to widen lanes around bends which makes things get a little odd, though. For example, it might shoot to the outside while cornering to get back to center after it noticed the lines started to diverge.

I welcome any input on the subject from those with experience using the X7 autonomous system.

Thanks,
ken

Last edited by unfoundnemo; 11-11-2019 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Hands off doesn’t last long but I like it a lot on the highway when your plugging away, mile after mile.

For tightly marked lanes on a highway, with a lot of crosswind, and say a Thule Motion XT XXL on top, it’s quite helpful in keeping your place where it should be.

I see all these things as having the most value in situations like that for now. Not autonomous, just helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #4
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Makes me wonder if it is possible to code how long the "hands off" timer is when using this feature. I am sure you probably can, but it is probably buried very deep inside at least a few different modules...

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 05:40 PM   #5
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Does X7 have intelligent cruise control that keeps it in one lane on a highway? I read that autonomous driving is limited to traffic control only which is under ~40 mph.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 06:12 PM   #6
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
Does X7 have intelligent cruise control that keeps it in one lane on a highway? I read that autonomous driving is limited to traffic control only which is under ~40 mph.
Yes, that's what the normal lane keep assistant and active cruise control does. A quick flick of the blinker will have it change lanes for you as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #7
kwilkins
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
I have had mine for all of 24 hours, but that included a 4 hour ride home where I used driver assist the entire time.

This actually wasn't an option I planned on getting if I were to order so I was skeptical if I was going to use it, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Thanks so much for your detailed reply, this is just the kind of information I was looking for. It seems the X7 will behave similar to the Porsche but probably better at low speeds with traffic.

Works for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #8
kwilkins
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Very well as long as you change the lane departure warning setting to "early". "High" and even "medium" are equivalent of bumper bowling.
The Porsche does the same ping-ponging with lane departure. I completely disabled lane departure and it didn't seem to have any negative impact on the functionality of the autonomous driving features, in fact it improved them because the car wasn't bouncing between lanes so much. You may want to try disabling lane departure on the X7 and see how it performs.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #9
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Yeah, more than one person have turned off their lane departure control feature, as it has over-corrected and either caused an accident, or nearly caused an accident.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #10
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Yeah, more than one person have turned off their lane departure control feature, as it has over-corrected and either caused an accident, or nearly caused an accident.
ive turned it off, but kept it on for blind spot assist.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 06:49 PM   #11
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
ive turned it off, but kept it on for blind spot assist.
Huh? Are you saying that if you turn off the lane departure warning that it also turns off the blind spot assist/monitoring that shows up in your side view mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #12
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Huh? Are you saying that if you turn off the lane departure warning that it also turns off the blind spot assist/monitoring that shows up in your side view mirrors?
I allow only the vibrating wheel warning when I am drifting in a lane. I have the evasive maneuver thing turned off to avoid it pulling me back into my lane on its own when I don’t want it to.

For blind spot detection I have the evasive maneuver thing turned ON as it’s more reliable and it more reliably does as intended
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 03:05 AM   #13
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

https://www.7post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=241
Appreciate 0