BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum What is the difference Adaptive v. Comfort v. Eco Pro v. Sport modes?

11-14-2019, 07:52 AM   #1
Joemac8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

What is the difference Adaptive v. Comfort v. Eco Pro v. Sport modes?

I have owned my X7 40i for three months now and have driven over 6K miles, mostly on highways. I have only used premium gas from tier 1 producers. To save fuel whenever I remember, I use Eco Pro mode. My average mileage has been 24.3 mpg.

In that mode, start out throttle response is much slower as it feels as if it starts out in second gear. I began to wonder, what else am I giving up by driving in Eco Pro mode? Am I really saving gas since most of my highway driving is at 75 mph?

I have checked the internet and found only opinion answers, all of which were at least two years old and none of which cover the X7. There was no mention whatsoever of the daptive mode.

OK boys & girls, what do we gain, what do we loose in driving using each mode? Are those differences very significant?
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      11-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #2
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemac8 View Post
I have owned my X7 40i for three months now and have driven over 6K miles, mostly on highways. I have only used premium gas from tier 1 producers. To save fuel whenever I remember, I use Eco Pro mode. My average mileage has been 24.3 mpg.

In that mode, start out throttle response is much slower as it feels as if it starts out in second gear. I began to wonder, what else am I giving up by driving in Eco Pro mode? Am I really saving gas since most of my highway driving is at 75 mph?

I have checked the internet and found only opinion answers, all of which were at least two years old and none of which cover the X7. There was no mention whatsoever of the daptive mode.

OK boys & girls, what do we gain, what do we loose in driving using each mode? Are those differences very significant?
Yes I was searching for some answers on eco pro what it really does, as certainly you can feel the power loss, does it cuts fuel to some cylinders?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 04:47 AM   #3
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

That 24.3 number is phenomenal. Since purchase I’ve averaged 16 but that is 85% local driving.

I find eco pro to be the best of any eco mode I’ve used on any car. Very smooth
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
OuaAia
Rep
Drives: Lexus RX400h, LCJ200,

Has anyone coded in the Sport+ mode?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #5
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuaAia View Post
I did. More sporty than regular sport.
      11-15-2019, 08:08 PM   #6
Joemac8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

BMW Genius

An answer to my question from the BMW Genius:

Thanks for contacting the BMW Genius Team.

The Comfort mode is the default operating mode for the vehicle which has no particular focus towards fuel efficiency or performance. You may consider it as the blank canvas when comparing the other modes.

The Eco Pro mode does indeed attenuate acceleration, as it costs more energy and therefor fuel to go from 0-60 in 5 seconds compared with doing the same job in 20 seconds. The Eco Pro mode also offers driving tips and gauges such as the blue bonus miles to help you be more mindful about how you spend fuel. The Eco Pro mode also limits other energy-intensive functions in the vehicle, such as climate control.

On the other side of the performance-efficiency spectrum is the sport mode, which presents more aggressive throttle response and shift points, and will render the vehicle more nimble and responsive. These things come at a cost of fuel efficiency.

As for your commuting, it is possible to hit very high fuel efficiency numbers by using the Eco Pro mode, even if you find yourself on the freeway it is always the most fuel efficient mode available to you. I recommend the cruise control in order to further optimize your fuel efficiency as the vehicle is emotionless and better at maintaining a steady rate of speed ideal for efficient travel.

The Adaptive mode will not appear in the older internet discussions you have found as it had not yet been offered! This exciting new mode for driving dynamics allows your vehicle to respond to your behavior, so if you drive aggressively the mode will configure itself in a fashion similar to sport mode, while more conservative driving will cue it to configure in a fuel efficient manner. This mode, if the navigation system is active, is also capable of considering the upcoming terrain in making such adjustments.

If you'd like to read more about the driving modes, the documentation for your X7 can be found at the website below. You will need the VIN for your vehicle in order to use this website, which I have copied below for your convenience.
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #7
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

>>I recommend the cruise control in order to further optimize your fuel efficiency as the vehicle is emotionless and better at maintaining a steady rate of speed ideal for efficient travel.

Indeed. That is what I was about to say. However, in this "Eco Pro Cruise Mode" mode, you need to be very submissive to the crowd rushing behind you make you "Go Man Go or let us go" thing under control. I have had hard time seeing my car start like so ugly but later pick the scene and become a Leader! in that mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #8
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
>>I recommend the cruise control in order to further optimize your fuel efficiency as the vehicle is emotionless and better at maintaining a steady rate of speed ideal for efficient travel.

Indeed. That is what I was about to say. However, in this "Eco Pro Cruise Mode" mode, you need to be very submissive to the crowd rushing behind you make you "Go Man Go or let us go" thing under control. I have had hard time seeing my car start like so ugly but later pick the scene and become a Leader! in that mode.
I disagree to a degree. The cruisecontrol will absolutely help if you are driving perfectly level the whole time. However; I've done many experiments and if you have roads that constantly go up and down by a bit, like lots of overpassed etc, where the cruisecontrol is too aggressive in keeping speed constant at great cost of mileage. It pays off to cash in some speed on the way up to preserve mpg, and slowly accelerate back to the goal speed or a little higher before the next uphill. Of course I have to mention this was in a "featherweight" G05 40i. It changed 75 mph with cruisecontrol at about 23 mpg to average 75 mph at 29 mpg!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #9
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:

The Comfort mode is the default operating mode for the vehicle which has no particular focus towards fuel efficiency or performance. You may consider it as the blank canvas when comparing the other modes.

The Eco Pro mode does indeed attenuate acceleration, as it costs more energy and therefor fuel to go from 0-60 in 5 seconds compared with doing the same job in 20 seconds. The Eco Pro mode also offers driving tips and gauges such as the blue bonus miles to help you be more mindful about how you spend fuel. The Eco Pro mode also limits other energy-intensive functions in the vehicle, such as climate control.

On the other side of the performance-efficiency spectrum is the sport mode, which presents more aggressive throttle response and shift points, and will render the vehicle more nimble and responsive. These things come at a cost of fuel efficiency.

As for your commuting, it is possible to hit very high fuel efficiency numbers by using the Eco Pro mode, even if you find yourself on the freeway it is always the most fuel efficient mode available to you. I recommend the cruise control in order to further optimize your fuel efficiency as the vehicle is emotionless and better at maintaining a steady rate of speed ideal for efficient travel.

The Adaptive mode will not appear in the older internet discussions you have found as it had not yet been offered! This exciting new mode for driving dynamics allows your vehicle to respond to your behavior, so if you drive aggressively the mode will configure itself in a fashion similar to sport mode, while more conservative driving will cue it to configure in a fuel efficient manner. This mode, if the navigation system is active, is also capable of considering the upcoming terrain in making such adjustments.

If you'd like to read more about the driving modes, the documentation for your X7 can be found at the website below. You will need the VIN for your vehicle in order to use this website, which I have copied below for your convenience.
Adaptive mode has not been released yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #10
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Quote:

Adaptive mode has not been released yet?
It's standard with the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #11
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Well, to be clear, the adaptive suspension is an option. But the Genius message quoted above seems to indicate that there is also an Adaptive setting to the engine control, that hasn't been released yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 07:23 PM   #12
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think it's a combination of comfort (suspension settings), engine responsiveness and throttle modulation, and steering response that changes with selection of the sport, eco and adaptive modes, where adaptive really hasn't shown me any difference in engine responses in comparison with comfort.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #13
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C, 2020 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrr View Post
I think it's a combination of comfort (suspension settings), engine responsiveness and throttle modulation, and steering response that changes with selection of the sport, eco and adaptive modes, where adaptive really hasn't shown me any difference in engine responses in comparison with comfort.
I think Adaptive setting, adapts to one's driving behavior. If I've a heavy foot, the transmission adapts to longer shifts.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 06:53 PM   #14
skids929
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuaAia View Post
How does one program this into the ECU?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:28 PM   #15
ImolaRay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i Carbon Black

I drive mostly in Sport Ind - with suspension and steering in comfort, and Sport Plus when we were in the mountains. But this winter I plan to try out Eco Mode in the snow, it will probably be better for very cold slippery conditions here in MN.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 09:50 PM   #16
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

I did some unscientific test of eco-pro, vs comfort vs adaptive. 200 mile trip to/from my house to my parents mostly highway. Take the same route, setting cruise control to same speed, repeated the trip 5 times in each mode. Setting cruse at 75mph on highway.
In Eco-pro I get average 22.5 mpg Highest trip 23mpg
in Comfort I get average 23.5 mpg Highest trip 26mpg
in Adaptive I also get average of 23.5 mpg. Highest trip 25mpg

So at least in my 15 trip test, eco pro did worse on highway trips then comfort or adaptive.

I didn't test city driving because I can't stand the start/stop system.
Around town I get 13-14 mpg in comfort. Average speed 18-20mph. So lots of stop & go and elevation changes.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 02:28 AM   #17
k23435
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Interesting topic! I tried finding some hard data points on this:

BMW boldly suggests improvement of up to 25% in ECO PRO mode (not specific to X7):

Whether combustion engine, plug-in hybrid or electric car: personal driving style can lower consumption by up to 25% in the ECO PRO driving mode.

https://www.bmw-me.com/en/topics/fas...anagement.html

I wonder if this can be true at constant speed, or if they have included for example driving somewhat slower which reduces air resistance which then in turn reduces fuel consumption?

On a more generic study, it was interesting to note the impact of different variables to fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. The below graph shows +/- impact of the different variables to CO2 emissions for a car with 120 gCO2/km, 1380 kg, 1600 cc (thus, anything but X7):

I would assume the different driving modes tinker to an extent with the variables above to try to improve fuel efficiency on X7?

You can read the study in https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...60128516300442

Last edited by k23435; 10-12-2021 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 10:04 AM   #18
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Quote:

We also have an X7 40i. I leave it in comfort mode and we regularly get between 26 and 29 mpg on the highway. We also live in the VA mountains.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 10:20 AM   #19
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissguy View Post
We also have an X7 40i. I leave it in comfort mode and we regularly get between 26 and 29 mpg on the highway. We also live in the VA mountains.
Same and quite frankly pretty amazing for a 3 row, gas powered SUV.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 11:36 AM   #20
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissguy View Post
How do you get 26-29mpg? Do you go below 65mph?

I've only been able to hit 26mpg once.

If I drive my normal 75-80mph, best I can do is 23.5-24mpg over several hundred miles in comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 12:09 PM   #21
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
How do you get 26-29mpg? Do you go below 65mph?

I've only been able to hit 26mpg once.

If I drive my normal 75-80mph, best I can do is 23.5-24mpg over several hundred miles in comfort mode.
I drive the same speeds as you. Quite frankly we have been surprised by the mileage. I have fun with the car but I don't "drive it like I stole it" every time I get behind the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 12:41 PM   #22
JaTe
BMW Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, X7

I was able to hit 29.4mpg using cruise control in comfort mode driving from PA to SC. Open roads at night with very light traffic.
Attached Images

Retired BMWs: 1999 BMW 328i, 2005 BMW M3 ZCP
Appreciate 0