BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Clunky Transmission

05-25-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
pvansh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Clunky Transmission

I picked up my new 2019 X7 40i 2 weeks ago. I haven't driven it much over the last couple of weeks but when I have, I find the transmission is clunky/thumpy in the low gears. For example the 1 to 2 shift or 2 to 3 are rarely smooth. Higher gears seem just fine.

Anyone else notice the same issue? Any idea what it could be or perhaps if a reset would help?

I previously tried the BMW transmission reset (30s on the accelerator with car off, etc.) but I didn't really notice any difference. It is possible I did it wrong.

Any help would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #2
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I think it will smooth out as the internal clutches get some miles on them. Mine seemed a little harsh during the 1-2, 2-3 shifts for a little while when I first got it. Smooth as butter now.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 02:00 PM   #3
pvansh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
I think it will smooth out as the internal clutches get some miles on them. Mine seemed a little harsh during the 1-2, 2-3 shifts for a little while when I first got it. Smooth as butter now.
Glad to hear that it got better!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 03:26 PM   #4
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvansh View Post
I picked up my new 2019 X7 40i 2 weeks ago. I haven't driven it much over the last couple of weeks but when I have, I find the transmission is clunky/thumpy in the low gears. For example the 1 to 2 shift or 2 to 3 are rarely smooth. Higher gears seem just fine.

Anyone else notice the same issue? Any idea what it could be or perhaps if a reset would help?

I previously tried the BMW transmission reset (30s on the accelerator with car off, etc.) but I didn't really notice any difference. It is possible I did it wrong.

Any help would be appreciated!
Mine was the same from new ..... I raised it with the dealer took it in and had a test drive with a technician who concurred but we agreed that I would put more KM's on the car for it to learn ..... after a 1000 km I took it in for an issue with the sunroof blind, by which time it had improved a little bit still not perfect ... the same tech checked everything again and decided to reset everything with a view to giving it another 1500km after which if it's not improved we will work out next steps. When I drove out it was back to square one and I've only done 150km since and it's no better, so we will see. It's not that terrible but not how it should be and I notice it all the time at low speed and anytime pulling away slowly. I'll
Keep you posted.
      06-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #5
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

So ...... just under 4000km and its back at the dealer, I still have a clunky 1st and 2nd gear both upshift and down. I would describe it as erratic, occasionally it can be smooth but thats rare.

Dealer has been fine and has outlined the next step which is to drain and change the gearbox oil and to assess if the oil has any trace of metal (does this make sense to anyone as I know F' all about the workings of a gearbox ) If it does the service manager indicates its new gearbox time ! ..... I didnt enter discussion but for me it wont be a new gearbox it will be a new X7 ! as the issue has been there since new, probably a bit early to worry about that but we will see.

Just out of interest I found some material online about the Offroad package wherein it describes "Bespoke xDrive and gearbox as well as pedal response curve" (see below) .... anyone know if this is some kind of modification to the gearbox with the offroad pack ? mine has it.
Attached Images

06-30-2020, 02:21 PM   #6
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Mine was a little clunky too compared to a demo that I drove.

Now, smooth as silk. Really, can't even feel it shift.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 02:45 PM   #7
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Mine was a little clunky too compared to a demo that I drove.

Now, smooth as silk. Really, can't even feel it shift.
How long did it take to smooth out ?
      06-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #8
pchansen
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 X7 50i13%C2%92 X328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
So ...... just under 4000km and its back at the dealer, I still have a clunky 1st and 2nd gear both upshift and down. I would describe it as erratic, occasionally it can be smooth but thats rare.

Dealer has been fine and has outlined the next step which is to drain and change the gearbox oil and to assess if the oil has any trace of metal (does this make sense to anyone as I know F' all about the workings of a gearbox ) If it does the service manager indicates its new gearbox time ! ..... I didnt enter discussion but for me it wont be a new gearbox it will be a new X7 ! as the issue has been there since new, probably a bit early to worry about that but we will see.

Just out of interest I found some material online about the Offroad package wherein it describes "Bespoke xDrive and gearbox as well as pedal response curve" (see below) .... anyone know if this is some kind of modification to the gearbox with the offroad pack ? mine has it.
Just out of curiosity, why would you demand a new X7? If it's a gearbox, have it R&R'd. Any dealership could do that in about a day, maybe two. You would be getting a factory new transmission as opposed to a reman.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 03:49 PM   #9
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchansen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post

Just out of curiosity, why would you demand a new X7? If it's a gearbox, have it R&R'd. Any dealership could do that in about a day, maybe two. You would be getting a factory new transmission as opposed to a reman.
Good question ..... for me something as major as a gearbox being faulty from brand new I would simply reject the car. Unless anyone can convince me that's a bad idea ? That said Ive never fully tested the consumer laws here in the UAE but my understanding is that they are pretty robust on the side of the consumer.
      06-30-2020, 03:51 PM   #10
pchansen
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 X7 50i13%C2%92 X328i

Well let me know how it turns out. I'm curious as to what they will do for you and also what the diagnosis is.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0