05-06-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Some teething problems

So .....

4 days in and overall I'm actually very happy with my X7. That said I have a couple of teething troubles.

Sunroof fabric roller

When I took delivery and did the handover, when the genius demo'd the sunroof the roller blind stuck for a fraction of a second, made a large click and the fabric jumped to where it should have been and then it was fine. He was a little concerned but we couldnt get it to repeat the problem, checked the runners and ther was little more we could do. It worked fine until the next morning it did the same for me and seems to do it each time its parked closed and locked for a decent amount of time. Ive managed to take a couple of videos. I took it to the dealer showed them and they will take it in and deal when convenient for me. I would value any input from anyone who has experienced the same.

Gear changes lumpy at low speed

Im finding that gear changes are a bit lumpy at low speed and easy accelaration. This is only happening 1-2 and 2-3 .... higher gears and more progressive driving its not really noticable. Same happens if you coast and decelarate you can feel a lumpy change down.

Took it for a drive with a technician who agreed it was lumpy. He feels that it may go away as the gearbox 'learns' so I have agreed to give it 1000km and see what it is like. It will go in if its still the same. Any thoughts ?

Lastly

Lastly this is probably my OCD for stitching ...... there is a huge amount of stitching in the X7 on the leather and its mostly great, however on the corner of the dash leather on the speedo shade the stitching deviates slightly and goes a little out of line. Because it right in my eyeline each time i drive it I find myself looking at it wondering is it OCD or should I do something. I have a couple of poor qulaity pics that I have shown friends, some have spotted it immediatly and others cant see it and dont see its an issue even when pointed out. The thought of replacing a dash in an already built car fills me with horror especially for something many would laugh at .... ill take a couple of decent pics and post for thoughts. Am I the only one that examines stitching in detail ?
      05-06-2020, 02:44 PM   #2
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

My X7 hasn't been built yet, but as far as the gear change, My wife's X3 is/was similar (X3/X7 both have similar ZF 8 speed auto) where in low speed and very light acceleration the shifts are rough.

Dealer could not find anything wrong after multiple visits.
Instead of the car adapting to us, we found we have adapted to it and have learned how to drive it to avoid (90% of the time) the rough shifts.

It's a little bit more effort and concentration on our part when driving low speed and light throttle, but makes the ride so much smoother. We do still occasionally get caught off guard and forget about it and will be awaken with the rough shift.

I'm hoping it won't happen in the X7. The one I test drove did not have this issue.
Appreciate 1
UKMS110.00
      05-06-2020, 03:17 PM   #3
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I would suspect there is nothing wrong with the transmission. I know I did not notice anything out of the ordinary with mine. But barring some catastrophic grinding/crunching noises, I would give it some time to break in a bit. I think your OCD is getting the best of you - but I know exactly how you feel as I can be the same way about my cars when something seems out of place. The BMW automatic transmissions have an overall good reputation when it comes to quality and reliability. Try playing around with some of the transmission settings in Sport Individual Mode or ECO Individual Mode to change up how the transmission shifts to find something to your liking.

As far as your sunroof, yeah, that ain't right..... There is definitely something that is causing the tracks to bind up a bit. With any luck, it will be an easy fix that does not require replacing the entire sunroof cassette. However, if/when they do any work that requires removal, when you get it back inspect the alcantara headliner. If they man handle it too much (or don't wear gloves), it can get messed up (I have heard of shops having to replace the rear decks on cars because techs got greasy finger prints on them that could not be removed).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
UKMS110.00
      05-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I would suspect there is nothing wrong with the transmission. I know I did not notice anything out of the ordinary with mine. But barring some catastrophic grinding/crunching noises, I would give it some time to break in a bit. I think your OCD is getting the best of you - but I know exactly how you feel as I can be the same way about my cars when something seems out of place. The BMW automatic transmissions have an overall good reputation when it comes to quality and reliability. Try playing around with some of the transmission settings in Sport Individual Mode or ECO Individual Mode to change up how the transmission shifts to find something to your liking.

As far as your sunroof, yeah, that ain't right..... There is definitely something that is causing the tracks to bind up a bit. With any luck, it will be an easy fix that does not require replacing the entire sunroof cassette. However, if/when they do any work that requires removal, when you get it back inspect the alcantara headliner. If they man handle it too much (or don't wear gloves), it can get messed up (I have heard of shops having to replace the rear decks on cars because techs got greasy finger prints on them that could not be removed).
I can be OCD about some things but the gearbox isn’t OCD its definitely lumpy, Ive owned and driven plenty of BMW's for 15+ years and touch wood the boxes have always been superb. I had a long term loaner X7 40i while deciding on this one and it was super smooth with almost indistinguishable gear changes which has made this so noticeable as I’m driving the same roads, routes and speeds. I’m sure it can be worked out one way or another.
      05-07-2020, 08:53 AM   #5
TaytoX7
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 Xdrive40i M Sport

My X7 is three days old today and the transmission and gear changes are super smooth at all speeds, so I would be dubious about it getting better over time. When getting your sunroof shutter fixed I would be getting them to look again at the issue.
Appreciate 1
UKMS110.00
      05-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #6
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

I had mine now for almost 3 months and the only issue I'm having so far is that the Parking Cameras are failing from time to time which is not very convenient on such a huge vehicle. I will have to take it to the dealer soon.
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0