forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 M60i Screen Defect

10-17-2022, 08:16 PM   #1
98gdong
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 M60i

X7 M60i Screen Defect

Picked up the car couple days ago and noticed a thin line in my iDrive 8 screen… Talked to the dealer and they agreed to run a diagnostic test next week. Both myself and the salesperson agreed this was definitely a hardware instead of a software issue. He said he has never seen this happening before and the service department has had no experience replacing the screen. Could be months for them to order the screen from Germany. First time owning a BMW so kind of frustrating. The car has been great otherwise though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 08:29 PM   #2
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Definitely not normal. Screen defect for sure. At least it's still usable while you wait for parts. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 11:20 PM   #3
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Looks like dead pixels. Interested in the recommended plan to replace.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 05:17 AM   #4
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Why would he ever say the Service Dept has no experience replacing a screen? His reaction should be embarrassed and accommodating to a fault.

This screen in one form is in a lot of vehicles so far and no different to replace than any other screen that is in every vehicle. Should be very easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 05:30 AM   #5
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Current 2022 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Why would he ever say the Service Dept has no experience replacing a screen? His reaction should be embarrassed and accommodating to a fault.

This screen in one form is in a lot of vehicles so far and no different to replace than any other screen that is in every vehicle. Should be very easy.
I agree. That’s a pretty embarrassing statement from the dealer to admit/say that.

I don't know how it’s set up. But since it’s really not integrated/set into the dash, I wouldn’t think it would be that hard to swap.

I’m sure they have not done one before on the X7. But they should be able to find something on TIS for guidance.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 05:53 AM   #6
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace6180G07 View Post
I agree. That’s a pretty embarrassing statement from the dealer to admit/say that.

I don't know how it’s set up. But since it’s really not integrated/set into the dash, I wouldn’t think it would be that hard to swap.

I’m sure they have not done one before on the X7. But they should be able to find something on TIS for guidance.
One of the primary reasons manufacturers are going to more screens is because they are more cost effective and easy to replace as the screens are not fixed but disposable. I would be shocked if the total replacement time to swap and program is more than 1 hour total.
I recommend putting some pressure on your dealership and showing them you are not impressed and expect more. Don’t let them slide on these low expectations. You bought a flagship level vehicle from BMW.
Their “parts availability issues” are not your problem as a customer and remind them you still have to make your car payment on time. BMW might give you some compensation if they can’t get this screen swapped out in a timely manner. Holding BMW to the fire is the only way their “parts availability issues” is costing them more money on the back side with their customers. These manufacturers will use the “covid sympathy excuse” as long as they can get away with it as a excuse for shoddy service.

Last edited by MystroX5; 10-18-2022 at 06:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2022, 07:00 AM   #7
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Current 2022 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
One of the primary reasons manufacturers are going to more screens is because they are more cost effective and easy to replace as the screens are not fixed but disposable. I would be shocked if the total replacement time to swap and program is more than 1 hour total.
I recommend putting some pressure on your dealership and showing them you are not impressed and expect more. Don’t let them slide on these low expectations. You bought a flagship level vehicle from BMW.
Their “parts availability issues” are not your problem as a customer and remind them you still have to make your car payment on time. BMW might give you some compensation if they can’t get this screen swapped out in a timely manner. Holding BMW to the fire is the only way their “parts availability issues” is costing them more money on the back side with their customers. These manufacturers will use the “covid sympathy excuse” as long as they can get away with it as a excuse for shoddy service.
You talking to me? I’m Not the one with the issue. Lot of you telling me what to do here so didn’t know if you are directing this to the correct member.
Appreciate 0