BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Demo vs Newbuild X7 - which to choose?

06-02-2020, 12:22 PM   #1
BMW-TX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Demo vs Newbuild X7 - which to choose?

I would appreciate others' perspectives on the following two choices:

1. 2020 Demo X7 40i (available today): has all options I want except for exterior color (it's carbon black vs. my preferred sapphire black) and does not have extended shadowline trim (so I'd have to buy the parts and/or do vinyl black wrap), 5K miles on odometer, 4 months into factory warranty, $87,600 MSRP, purchase price $70,000 (20% off)

2. 2020 (2021?) Newbuild X7 40i (available August): 2-3+ months delivery given backlog/shutdown of factory, exact specs/colors that I want, $87,000 MSRP, purchase for $74,200 (15% off)

I'm an analytical guy, but I'm struggling if $4K is "enough" of a discount on the demo, vs. I get what I want and potentially a 2021 model X7. That said, 3 months is a long time to wait and who knows when the delivery would be (I'm currently driving my brother's car).

Which option do you take and why?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
HoratiuBMWX7
Rep

Just my thought : the difference is quite small between a new car optioned as you like and a demo that is not exactly what you want.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 12:39 PM   #3
BMW-TX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoratiuBMWX7 View Post
Just my thought : the difference is quite small between a new car optioned as you like and a demo that is not exactly what you want.

That is what I keep coming back to: $4K-$5K savings for something "used" and not quite what I want. I guess that amount would need to be closer to $10K (plus the benefit of having the car today) if I had to put a price on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 12:52 PM   #4
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Add to that, the loss of 4 months of warranty (which I know isn't earth shattering) but at the same time, equates to something. For $4k, I'd move up to a 2021 and wait. Who knows whatever refinements it may have.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 12:56 PM   #5
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

If it were me and I could get 15% off an ordered car and I didn't need a vehicle immediately, I'd wait and order the 2021. The $$ difference between the demo and an new ordered car just isn't big enough to justify it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #6
Phillymb75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 M50 - 20 M240i vert 6mt

I spent about a grand to black out the grill and hatch trim piece.

If lease; do the demo, if purchase; order new and get what you want, a 2021 will be worth more at trade in.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 01:08 PM   #7
BMW-TX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
If it were me and I could get 15% off an ordered car and I didn't need a vehicle immediately, I'd wait and order the 2021. The $$ difference between the demo and an new ordered car just isn't big enough to justify it.

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I forgot to specify, the newbuild is technically for a MY20, but given the factory delays/timeline, there is a strong chance it gets pushed into August, which would make it a MY21 vehicle. Very small chance that it's delivered in July as a MY20 vehicle - but anyone's guess at this point.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #8
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-TX View Post
Thanks for the thoughts so far. I forgot to specify, the newbuild is technically for a MY20, but given the factory delays/timeline, there is a strong chance it gets pushed into August, which would make it a MY21 vehicle. Very small chance that it's delivered in July as a MY20 vehicle - but anyone's guess at this point.
I would still go for a newly ordered vehicle if you don't need a car immediately. the $$ difference on the demo isn't enough to sway me to get something that isn't 100% what I want. plus the longer warranty on a new vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 06:54 PM   #9
jmcd2524
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 40i M Sport

Quote:
I had a similar decision a few weeks back (early May). I went with the new build. I just couldn't bring myself to pay this much money (in the $70s) for a car and not get exactly what I wanted. After going thru the factory re-starting, having an invalid initial production number, I finally got a valid production number earlier this week. My X7 is scheduled to be built the first week of July and will be a MY20. So if you want the MY21, you may have to wait a bit to order it and make sure the discount stays intact in the interim. Good luck with your decision. Either way I think we are both going to be eventually really happy!
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2020, 07:17 PM   #10
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

I was going to say what jmcd2524 said, if you're paying this amount of money for a vehicle, get what you want!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 07:24 PM   #11
Tonycwm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 & 2018 540

Quote:
I would appreciate others' perspectives on the following two choices:

1. 2020 Demo X7 40i (available today): has all options I want except for exterior color (it's carbon black vs. my preferred sapphire black) and does not have extended shadowline trim (so I'd have to buy the parts and/or do vinyl black wrap), 5K miles on odometer, 4 months into factory warranty, $87,600 MSRP, purchase price $70,000 (20% off)

2. 2020 (2021?) Newbuild X7 40i (available August): 2-3+ months delivery given backlog/shutdown of factory, exact specs/colors that I want, $87,000 MSRP, purchase for $74,200 (15% off)

I'm an analytical guy, but I'm struggling if $4K is "enough" of a discount on the demo, vs. I get what I want and potentially a 2021 model X7. That said, 3 months is a long time to wait and who knows when the delivery would be (I'm currently driving my brother's car).

Which option do you take and why?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
One thing to seriously consider is the color. I originally ordered Sapphire Black, but ended up buying a Carbon Black the dealer got in stock before my order arrived, and it was the best decision I could have made. The color is so amazing. I say keep your order and change to Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 07:49 PM   #12
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

If I can't wait and too excited to get one now, I would negotiate more on the Demo price. Just throw a ridiculous offer back to the dealer and check them how serious they seem.

I would definitely negotiate at least 4K more out the door pricing. Or if you have a trade in, ask them to pay more on the trade in vehicle. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 09:22 PM   #13
cvp33
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘19 Z06, ‘20 X7, ‘21 Traverse

I got to make this decision last month. Dealer offered $13K OFF new X7 with $87K MSRP. Also had dealer demo that started at $17K OFF. After about two weeks we got the demo for $20K OFF. CPO is what we wanted for the unlimited miles. The $20K off sticker made it a no-brainer.

Last edited by cvp33; 06-10-2020 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 09:59 PM   #14
BMW-TX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcd2524 View Post
I had a similar decision a few weeks back (early May). I went with the new build. I just couldn't bring myself to pay this much money (in the $70s) for a car and not get exactly what I wanted. After going thru the factory re-starting, having an invalid initial production number, I finally got a valid production number earlier this week. My X7 is scheduled to be built the first week of July and will be a MY20. So if you want the MY21, you may have to wait a bit to order it and make sure the discount stays intact in the interim. Good luck with your decision. Either way I think we are both going to be eventually really happy!
That's interesting. I first submitted my order around May 8 but BMW cancelled the order (apparently all May orders were cancelled) - it had to be resubmitted June 1 this week. I don't have a production number or anything yet. Dealership is telling me to plan on an August delivery.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 10:03 PM   #15
BMW-TX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
If I can't wait and too excited to get one now, I would negotiate more on the Demo price. Just throw a ridiculous offer back to the dealer and check them how serious they seem.

I would definitely negotiate at least 4K more out the door pricing. Or if you have a trade in, ask them to pay more on the trade in vehicle. Good luck!

FreddyBMW and cvp33 - thanks for the guidance. I've pushed the demo as much as I can - they are only giving $18K off MSRP (which really does surprise me as it now has 5K miles on the odometer afterall and the factory warranty has started ticking). They are also holding firm on the newbuild at just under $13K off.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 06:46 AM   #16
jmcd2524
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 40i M Sport

Quote:
That's interesting. I first submitted my order around May 8 but BMW cancelled the order (apparently all May orders were cancelled) - it had to be resubmitted June 1 this week. I don't have a production number or anything yet. Dealership is telling me to plan on an August delivery.
I got my new production number May 30. Originally ordered my build May 6.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 06:27 PM   #17
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

Which dealer is doing 15% off an ordered X7? Interested in swapping out my X5 for something larger.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 06:55 PM   #18
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

I'd go new, but depending on what your custom options are, you may be limited for 2021.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 04:06 PM   #19
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Both my previous X5 and current M3 were executive demos with two totally different experiences. The dealer and their honesty played huge roles in those experiences. I wouldn't trust anything they tell you the car is used for, so inspect it thoroughly on your own. With an X7, it could have been hauling people all over the place like a damn UBER/minivan for the dealer, or driving up and down a steel ramp all over the country and you could notice beyond normal wear and tear.

Dealer 1 was the X5, they told me it was driven by one of their own VPs, who had OCD, kept the seats covered, etc., etc., so I had nothing to worry about. 1 week later I was cleaning the car and found evidence of paintwork, likely just a scrape they touched up, but they also put the trim back on wrong while doing so. There were also some scratches on the matte interior trim, missing accessories, etc.. I was furious and researched intensely to figure out my recourse. Apparently this is common for even brand new cars getting random lot damage, and there's some sort of figure like if the damage is less than 2% of the car's value, they don't have to disclose it to you. They fixed the issues without claiming responsibility, but it just didn't sit right with me.

I was in the market for an M3 a few months later and gave that dealer a second chance to make it up to me knowing they had the exact car I wanted in the showroom all winter, and it was sitting beyond a GTS and i8, so it actually saw a little less attention. This one was new and they gave me a decent deal, but started to walk back portions of it 2 days before I was going to take delivery. I immediately looked around, and found another dealer with the same car, but it had 1200 miles on it, another "executive demo".

Dealer 2 went out of their way to give me every detail of the car after learning of my past experience. I met the actual driver this time, who basically showed me 1200 miles worth of a photo journal he kept on the car. He then went around pointing out every rock chip on the car I was getting, which they did a fabulous job touching up. He also showed my his current car, photos of previous cars he had on demo, etc.. This guy is a creature of habit and seems to always have an M car in the same color combo at his disposal. I likely won't consider another executive demo unless it's from this guy, or another dealer that could give me a similar info session, which also likely doesn't exist.

If you're buying the car, I don't think the uncertainty is worth it for $4k. You're practically buying a used car, maybe even an abused one. The only difference to you is that it wasn't titled and you don't have to worry about the maintenance transfer. If you're leasing 5% has a much bigger impact, for a 10k lease with a 20% discount, you're only making payments on 24% of the car, add in the incentives, get your CCA rebate, and they're practically paying you to drive the thing.

As for maintenance/warranty. I didn't have to worry about the latter since I was leasing, but I didn't realize the X5 was going out of maintenance early. I brought it in 2000 miles later, and my home dealer (not even the selling dealer in either scenario), pushed it through on good will.
      06-17-2020, 06:18 PM   #20
Skyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post

I would definitely order a new one optioned out the way you want. Big word of caution, however, BMW has taken out a lot of option for 2021 X7. Especially for the 40i. So depending on what options you want, you should consider ordering a 2020 as soon as possible (like now), unless you don't care about the options being deleted for MY21. Some of the deleted options include Rear Seat Entertainment, Bowers and Wilkins (for 40i), Night Vision, Ambient air, Glass controls no longer include the radio volume knob in crystal, off road package, full Marino leather, and leather dashboard (for 40i).

I know a few dealers that might have some allocations left for MY20 if you need help, but it's becoming slim pickings.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 07:32 PM   #21
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

OP, are these two options buy or lease? If lease, lay out both deals for us. Would be interested to know what the monthly payment would be and upfront cash outlay.
Appreciate 0