BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Cornering lights

02-20-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Cornering lights

I have the 40i without the laser lights. Do I have cornering lights? Is there a setting or a way to turn them on?
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
I have the 40i without the laser lights. Do I have cornering lights? Is there a setting or a way to turn them on?
I was told that the regular lights have cornering-lights as well.

If you have the lights in Auto, drive at low speeds and make a sharp turn, check the outer side of the corner you are turning into.

You should be able to see an additional area that's being illuminated.
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:46 PM   #3
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
Quote:

If you have the lights in Auto, drive at low speeds and make a sharp turn, check the outer side of the corner you are turning into.

Remember, I had them in the Q7. Start you turn and the lights come on. They haven't yet in th X7. I was hoping there's a setting.

I'll YouTube it for now and owners manual next time I get a chance. I was just hoping someone here knew.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:04 PM   #4
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Remember, I had them in the Q7. Start you turn and the lights come on. They haven't yet in th X7. I was hoping there's a setting.

I'll YouTube it for now and owners manual next time I get a chance. I was just hoping someone here knew.
First photo is standard LED headlights:
Cornering lights are not included with the standard Full Adaptive LED headlights on 40i and 50i.

See last photo and highlighted area:
On X7s, only Adaptive Full LED headlight with Laserlight, which is currently only available on M50i, include LED cornering light.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:10 PM   #5
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cornering lights are not included with the standard Full Adaptive LED headlights on 40i's.

On X7s, only Adaptive Full LED headlight with Laserlight, which is currently only available on M50i, include LED cornering light.
Thanks. I feel ripped off... I've had cornering lights on every car I've owned since my 1996 Lincoln!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:13 PM   #6
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:
Cornering lights are not included with the standard Full Adaptive LED headlights on 40i's.

I don’t know why BMW does this stuff. Motor is one thing but no option for the better lights? Dumb
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:18 PM   #7
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. I feel ripped off... I've had cornering lights on every car I've owned since my 1996 Lincoln!
It's a thing with X5 owners too. At least there's the option to upgrade to Icon Adaptive full LED with Laserlight for $1K. Most owners upgrade just for aesthetics - those "U" shaped standard DRLs.

Currently and unfortunately there isn't an upgrade option for prospective X7 owners unless you "upgrade" to M50i. Only consolation is that the standard and laserlight headlight designs look similar.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 11:30 PM   #8
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It's a thing with X5 owners too. At least there's the option to upgrade to Icon Adaptive full LED with Laserlight for $1K. Most owners upgrade just for aesthetics - those "U" shaped standard DRLs.

Currently and unfortunately there isn't an upgrade option for prospective X7 owners unless you "upgrade" to M50i. Only consolation is that the standard and laserlight headlight designs look similar.
Yeah I want the V6 and Laser Lights. Not so much to ask lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 11:36 PM   #9
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Here is a video of X5 showing the cornering lights demo. However, its hard to guess how they look like from the front.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:29 AM   #10
760Lifan
Major
Rep

That's interesting - so I guess the info I got from another owner is not accurate then:

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...rnering+lights

I knew that the non-laser X5 lacked cornering-lights but I thought the X7 was different. Sorry...
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #11
Brukes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328ix / 2020 X7 40i

Quote:
That's interesting - so I guess the info I got from another owner is not accurate then:

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...rnering+lights

I knew that the non-laser X5 lacked cornering-lights but I thought the X7 was different. Sorry...
Cornering lights are in my manual (attached) and listed on my window sticker.

I have a 2020 X7 40i

I googled X7 40i window stickers and this came up and cornering lights are listed under exterior:

https://monroneylabels.com/cars/642583-2019-bmw-x7
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 10:56 AM   #12
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Well, now the confusion is perfect!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 02:35 PM   #13
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brukes View Post

I have a 2020 X7 40i

I googled X7 40i window stickers and this came up and cornering lights are listed under exterior:

While it may be documented in the manual, take a photo of your headlights to confirm.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:19 PM   #14
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I have a 2020 X7 40i

While it may be documented in the manual, take a photo of your headlights to confirm.
This is what I have.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:40 PM   #15
Brukes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328ix / 2020 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:

I have a 2020 X7 40i

I stand corrected - cornering light is plugged. Doesn't look like it's there. Too much glare to give a picture but I may call my dealer tomorrow because it's listed in the technical manual as part of the adaptive led setup. See attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:57 PM   #16
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I stand corrected - cornering light is plugged. Doesn't look like it's there. Too much glare to give a picture but I may call my dealer tomorrow because it's listed in the technical manual as part of the adaptive led setup. See attached.
It’s looking like it should be there. I wonder what BMW has to say about that.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:44 PM   #17
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonboz View Post
Quote:
It's looking like it should be there. I wonder what BMW has to say about that.
The technical guides can cover a lot of regions and not specific to USA. It's the same with G05 electronics technical guide (See enclosed) Shows cornering light with standard 552 Adaptive Full LED but in reality it does not.

Regions like UK have 3 headlight options but the 552 option includes cornering.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:58 PM   #18
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonboz View Post
Quote:
It's looking like it should be there. I wonder what BMW has to say about that.
The technical guides can cover a lot of regions and not specific to USA. It's the same with G05 electronics technical guide (See enclosed) Shows cornering light with standard 552 Adaptive Full LED but in reality it does not.

Regions like UK have 3 headlight options but the 552 option includes cornering.
Ok, let's try this again. Appreciate the help! Maybe I just got screwed out of the cornering lights because I custom ordered and didn't say pretty please.

I tried to get better pictures of where the lights should be. I also included my window sticker which says nothing about cornering lights
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 10:34 PM   #19
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Here you go. I have an October 2019 build 2020 X7 40i. Here's a picture of my left front headlight with the standard Adaptive LED headlights for the 40i. This is the "Only" option for the 40i model. You can see the plugged cutout where the cornering lights would be if it had them.

I was pissed when I found out I couldn't even order it without moving up to the 50i.

I almost cancelled my order because of the Laser Lights and the B&W Sound System option not being on the build site. I didn't realize that fact until after the build had already started.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:35 PM   #20
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Looks like you beat me to the punch. I was posting my picture and my same complaints. Bad marketing practices as far as I'm concerned. The build sites can't keep up with the BMW changes.

Why doesn't BMW just post an updated build/option sheet on the website in addition to the graphical build interface. The Sales Rep should have given me a copy of that automatically since I already told him that I wanted to special order my vehicle.

I feel your pain...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 12:17 AM   #21
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Looks like you beat me to the punch. I was posting my picture and my same complaints. Bad marketing practices as far as I'm concerned. The build sites can't keep up with the BMW changes.

Why doesn't BMW just post an updated build/option sheet on the website in addition to the graphical build interface. The Sales Rep should have given me a copy of that automatically since I already told him that I wanted to special order my vehicle.

I feel your pain...
While I'm whining...

I got real used to the kick to open feature for the trunk. Last few cars had it and I liked it. I had the trailer hitch on all those cars too.

In the X7 if you get the hitch, you don't get the kick to open. Kind of wish it said that somewhere before I ordered the hitch.

I mean, I have the hitch just in case. I don't own a trailer or plan on towing anything. But just in case, I always get the hitch. BUT I OPEN MY TRUNK A LOT EVERY WEEK!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 06:35 AM   #22
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
BUT I OPEN MY TRUNK A LOT EVERY WEEK!
I find it much easier to press the button to open the trunk.
And the kick to open is never very reliable. I frequently had to try a few times - taking much longer than pressing the button and looking like a fool.....
Appreciate 0