E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Inpa help - Msv70 bs msv80

11-01-2020, 01:08 PM   #1
JWT4700
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Xdrive sedan

Inpa help - Msv70 bs msv80

Hey all.
I was wondering what the difference is between MSV 70 and MSV 80 is for the engine selection in INPA for the e90.
In an attempt to better learn my way around the German inpa, I'm making a list of translations for everything. Which I'll be happy to share when I'm done. I think I've used the Msv 80 when I used inpa the couple times I have used it.
MSV 70.0 for N52 (NG6)
MSV 80.0 for N52KP (NG6)

I have the N51 engine

Thanks
      11-01-2020, 05:27 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

06 is the only year that used MSV70
Different DME and software I think.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-02-2020 at 04:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
JWT470021.50
      11-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #3
JWT4700
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
06 is the only year that used MSV70
Ok thank a lot!
      11-01-2020, 05:36 PM   #4
JWT4700
Private
Rep

i think ive managed to google translate as much as i can without hooking it up to the car to actually translate what inpa can read, cant get any of the data to show up, but maybe this can help some other who arent fluent in German. trying to find something as simple as oil pressure is rather difficult when you cant read german lol
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E90 INPA Translations.pdf (169.1 KB, 853 views)
      11-02-2020, 04:18 AM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

diagnostic manual ista/inpa
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xo19teM9vkTF-C
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7x8H3pN8h1fMuF
https://bimmerprofs.com/diagnostics-inpa-part-1/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...lkXEhlQYy4i9Nb
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-P-actually-do
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...1&d=1590283589
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...kBbC27TJLX3BGe
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...WekqhcC6hsgK2c
primary links

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1681573
https://www.nathansbmwworkshop.com/b...or-dean-videos
ista problems
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661945
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581663
Appreciate 1
JWT470021.50
      11-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #6
JWT4700
Private
Rep

Thanks! I'll check that out!
      11-03-2020, 04:56 PM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWT4700 View Post
... I was wondering what the difference is between MSV 70 and MSV 80 is for the engine selection in INPA for the e90...I have the N51 engine...
Quote:
i think ive managed to google translate as much as i can without hooking it up to the car to actually translate what inpa can read, cant get any of the data to show up...
MSV70 is the "SGBD" (Steuergeratebeschreibungsdatei). That IS an actual "Dachshund word" from German, and SGBD is the Acronym for the LOOONG German word. It basically means Variant of the DME or other Module, or the "Control Unit Description File" that distinguishes the Variants of a particular Module.

Generally all 328i/xi had the MSV80 Variant/SGBD DME (Digital Motor Electronics), whether they had the N52K engine or the N51 Engine. My 3/2007 build date 328xi E91 with N52KP (ULEV) has MSV80. Bentley's table of DME Variants by module is NOT entirely accurate based upon my vehicle configuration.

Attached is "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" pdf which shows some example INPA Screens after selecting "Functional Jobs" at the opening Script Selection Box. It also explains how to to setup your Cable (COM 1, Latency 1), and how to save INPA Screens by taking ScreenPrints (PrtSc) and saving that image as a jpg or png file which can be attached to a forum post, or saved in a folder of your choice for future reference.

The STARTING Point is to save the INPA > Functional Jobs > F2 Identification screen, which shows ALL the ~ 20 modules in your vehicle (more or less depending upon optional equipment). In the Fourth column of that screen is the SGBD or Variant of each module. THAT information is what you need to know WHICH variant of a particular Module to "click" or select when you want to Connect to a specific Module.

Functional Jobs is JUST the beginning. You have to Connect to a specific module to get DETAILS such as Fault Definition, Freeze Frame Data & Fault Details; Status or Live Data such as Sensor or Switch inputs to the DME (to test function of Sensors & Switches), or to do "Activation" of a motor or solenoid, such as Fuel Pump, Coolant Pump, or E-Fan (Radiator Fan). So you will definitely want to know the SGBD of each module listed on "Functional Jobs > F2 Identification", and SAVE that ScreenPrint jpg for future reference.

If you are using the version of BMW Standard Tools (INPA) linked on the BimmerGeeks "Downloads" page, that already has the Menus translated from German to English. NO Version has the German technical labels and descriptions translated to English AFAIK, but Google Translate does a good job if you already know the correct English technical terminology.

NOT sure what you mean: "can't get any of the data to show up". If you run into a particular issue, take a ScreenPrint of any error message and attach it here for help.

Attached are example INPA screens of:
(1) DME > F4 Fault Memory > F1 Read Error Memory > F3 Error Memory Freeze Frame (Most Detail);
(2) DME > F6 Activations > F1 > F2 E-Fan, showing Radiator Fan operation under DME Control, with ECTS Temp Sensor signal as received by DME & Fan Speed; the Actual ROTS Temp will be shown for N51 engines with that Sensor on the Lower Radiator Hose;
(3) DME > F6 > F1 > F6 KFK Thermostat Activation;
(4) DME > F6 > F1 > Shft+ F1 Coolant Pump Activation;

Menus and Function Key Designations may vary between Versions of INPA, so just check your menus if the "Menu Sequence" above is NOT correct for your INPA Version , OR for your Module Variant.

George
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 140 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 01:54 PM   #8
JWT4700
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
NOT sure what you mean: "can't get any of the data to show up". If you run into a particular issue, take a ScreenPrint of any error message and attach it here for help.

George
Hey George,
I'll attach a pic of my error.
When I initially made my list, the laptop was NOT connected to the car, it was sitting on the desk next to me while I made my list and translations on my desktop - I believe that was the majority of my error messages.
I finally had some time today to continue working on it. I hooked up inpa in the car and took pictures of each menu where the data is. I'm currently making all the translations.
INPA worked great for the most part, I did have a few errors, I'm not sure why, missing files maybe? Maybe it was just a menu that wasn't compatible with the car or something, I'll attach the error for you, there were a handful of errors but I think they were all the same type of error. The first error was in F5 -> F1 -> F1 which is Status analog/digital -> digital values -> switch positions. The remaining errors F5 -> F2 -> F7&8 and a few in F5 -> F8,shift+F1,Shift+f2,shift+f3,shift+f8

I only took a picture of the first error and the shift+F1 error. I still need to get my old laptop figured out. It's super slow - an old cf-30 toughbook. I can't print anything from it yet, and trying to save the screens and send them to the desktop is extremely time consuming. It's just faster to take a pic with my phone lol.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

11-22-2020, 12:30 PM   #9
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

INPA EDIABAS Error #134; Saving & Transferring ScreenPrints

Quote:
...INPA worked great for the most part, I did have a few errors, I'm not sure why, missing files maybe? Maybe it was just a menu that wasn't compatible with the car or something, I'll attach the error for you, there were a handful of errors but I think they were all the same type of error... I only took a picture of the first error and the shift+F1 error.
I still need to get my old laptop figured out... I can't print anything from it yet, and trying to save the screens and send them to the desktop is extremely time consuming. It's just faster to take a pic with my phone lol.
Hi JW,

I wonder WHAT type of connection you use/attempt to connect Laptop to OBD II Socket?
K+DCAN Cable and if so, brand? Wi-Fi Adapter?
Have you set "Ports" settings to COM 1 & Latency 1 as per attached Tutorial pdf?
WHAT source for your 1) BMW Standard Tools Download? 2) E89 Datens Download? e.g. BimmerGeeks "Downloads" page?
What is the size of your "EDIABAS" folder? (Mine from BG Downloads is 2.18GB).
Is that EDIABAS folder on your C:\ Drive beneath the "EC-APPS" folder which contains INPA?
Both of the screens you show photos of are for the MSV80 DME which is correct for your 2009 328xi

Be aware that Windows Updates has been known to "Reset" those settings, at least the Latency 1 setting. When that occurs, the Values don't load properly. Sometimes you CAN get things to load SLOWLY or one Parameter at a time, by repeated pressing of the Function Key, Enter Key or "Yes" in the dialog box. THAT procedure is NOT the fix, it's merely to allow you to quickly see the data/value you are looking for, and to give a clue as to the cause of the issue.

Your INPA screens suggest your INSTALLATION is OK, if it is reading menus correctly, and starting to load each screen as selected with the correct Function Key, or by Clicking on the button in the Task Bar. What appears to be happening is that the connection via the cable or whatever you use to connect Laptop to OBD II Socket is NOT communicating correctly, and the connection is being interrupted or scrambled.

You show the SAME EDIABAS Error Code (#134) for BOTH the Digital Switch Position screen (F5 > F1 > F1), AND the Valvetronic Analog Screen (F5 > Shft+F1). In EACH instance, the Labels, Frame and Format of the Screen load properly, but when it attempts to display the DATA or Values for each Parameter, or to Refresh those values, a communication error occurs.

The above is ONLY a guess, as when I have had the problem I describe above (caused by incorrect Latency Setting), I get a similar screen, except it says:
"ApiResultText: Error #20"
"IFH-0010: DATATRANSMISSION TO CONTROLUNIT DISTURBED"
The two lower lines in the Error Message are identical to yours.
YOUR second line says: "API-0014: RESULT NOT FOUND"

I don't know what "RESULT" that is referencing. My best SWAG is that the specific "Query" for a parameter made by the program does NOT return the desired Result, perhaps due to Datens installation? So you PROBABLY have something other than a "Latency 1" setting issue, as that affects Communication, BUT the general pattern of being unable to display Parameter Values is similar.

I will attach ScreenPrints of the F5 > F1 > F1 (engine OFF, Ignition ON, Brake ON, Compressor switch OFF), and F5 > Shft+F1 (Engine ON Idle) screens to my next post so you can see what they look like.

As for Procedure for Setting COM 1 & Latency 1, See attached pdf, "INPA Tutorial Quickstart". You are obviously PAST the "Functional Jobs" stage , but that pdf has procedures for Settings & also for Saving INPA ScreenPrints as jpg files. I personally would RATHER have electronic files than printed paper.

If you save the ScreenPrints as jpg files on the Laptop HD in whatever Folders you create, you can always transfer those files to the Desktop HD. If you have created a Home Network with Wi-Fi & Router, an old-style Hub & Cat-5 Cable, you can transfer via the Network, or you can even use a Cross-Over Cable. The beauty of a Network connection is that you can automatically "Synchronize" folders between computers. There's GOT to be some similar port, adapter or transfer method you can use to get the data files from the Laptop to the Desktop. If BOTH have USB ports, you can simply use a cheap Flash Drive or Thumb Drive to transfer files.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 121 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #10
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Sample INPA Screens Related to Prior Post

Attached INPA ScreenPrints related to 2007 328xi N52KP with MSV80 DME:
1) INPA > DME > F5 > F1 > F1 Switch Positions
2) INPA > DME > F5 > Shft+F1 Valvetronic

George
Attached Images