E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan sees 15 hp gain from its CAI

06-01-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Dinan sees 15 hp gain from its CAI

This is from another thread. I felt it deserved its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.breen@dinan View Post
Sure, the development, fitment, durability, and design work are all done. We've been seeing 15 hp (flywheel) gains with the CAI, but that figure is still unofficial. I don't have a delivery date yet because we're still working on manufacturing methodology.
      06-01-2009, 03:44 AM   #2
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

15 flywheel hp is no more than any of the intake kits out right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 04:17 AM   #3
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

I will tell you this. After Injen and AFE reported 25 rwhp on their intakes while independent testing lost power, I will believe it when I see it. These guys just love to make things up.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 05:36 AM   #4
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
I will tell you this. After Injen and AFE reported 25 rwhp on their intakes while independent testing lost power, I will believe it when I see it. These guys just love to make things up.
Its normal, the AFE and Injen are open intakes sucking hot air. The Dinan is still a ram air intake like stock, only with more air flow and cooler air. It can't lose power over stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
Its normal, the AFE and Injen are open intakes sucking hot air. The Dinan is still a ram air intake like stock, only with more air flow and cooler air. It can't lose power over stock.
You can say what you will about "hot air intakes", but then how do you explain DCIs?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 06:56 AM   #6
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
You can say what you will about "hot air intakes", but then how do you explain DCIs?

Since the very first DCI or Open element intake was made for the 335i and I saw it at a get together long ago, I said, "that thing has got to be sucking in A LOT of the engine's hot air."
Well, how could it NOT with the placement of most of them?

The fact of the matter is this:
A DCI on the N54 more than likely increases power, especially as speeds rise on the road as you get a lot more air swirling around the engine and going into the DCI. That will negate most of the hot air it's also sucking in, giving you a slight power increase.
However, at lower speeds, it is impossible for the DCI not to be sucking in hot engine air from the N54. There is no protector/separator for them to keep as much of the hot engine air away from the DCI. And the N54 powered cars hoods are not vented to help the hot air to escape from under the hood. The DCI's usually sit about 3-4 inches below the hood.

I think DCI's give a slight performance advantage, especially at higher speeds, to be sure. As they allow all the additional air to be sucked in. But at lower speeds, well, venture to say they do nothing.

Regardless of what is being reported by dyno testing at lower speeds with them. Reason?
Well, unless the dyno test was done with the hood CLOSED with the DCI you are getting a false dyno read.
Dynoing with the hood up on the stock closed intake is fine, since no additional air can get into the intake from anywhere else but the front of the car.
But to dyno a DCI or open element intake with the hood up, you are giving it a false advantage it would NOT have on the road. That is, allowing the fans air to be ingested from the top of the engine where it would NOT happen on the road, and allowing the hot engine air to escape and not be sucked into the DCI as it would on the road.

Further, since most dynos don't have sufficient air speeds to replicate 100+ mph winds, you don't fully realize the gains from the DCI at higher speeds either.

Dinan's claim of 15 flywheel hp (or about 12-13 rwhp) at peak seems reasonable based on the design of the intake.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 06:59 AM   #7
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Since the very first DCI or Open element intake was made for the 335i and I saw it at a get together long ago, I said, "that thing has got to be sucking in A LOT of the engine's hot air."
Well, how could it NOT with the placement of most of them?

The fact of the matter is this:
A DCI on the N54 more than likely increases power, especially as speeds rise on the road as you get a lot more air swirling around the engine and going into the DCI. That will negate most of the hot air it's also sucking in, giving you a slight power increase.
However, at lower speeds, it is impossible for the DCI not to be sucking in hot engine air from the N54. There is no protector with them to keep as much of the hot engine air away from the DCI.

I think DCI's give a slight performance advantage, especially at higher speeds, to be sure. As they allow all the additional air to be sucked in. But at lower speeds, well, venture to say they do nothing.

Regardless of what is being reported by dyno testing at lower speeds with them. Reason?
Well, unless the dyno test was done with the hood CLOSED with the DCI you are getting a false dyno read.
Dynoing with the hood up on the stock closed intake is fine, since no additional air can get into the intake from anywhere else but the front of the car.
But to dyno a DCI or open element intake with the hood up, you are giving it a false advantage it would NOT have on the road. That is, allowing the fans air to be ingested from the top of the engine where it would NOT happen on the road, and allowing the hot engine air to escape and not be sucked into the DCI as it would on the road.

Further, since most dynos don't have sufficient air speeds to replicate 100+ mph winds, you don't fully realize the gains from the DCI at higher speeds either.

Dinan's claim of 15 flywheel hp (or about 12-13 rwhp) at peak seems reasonable based on the design of the intake.
I did test the DCIs versus the STETT Cold Air Intake (a true CAI). I showed the difference at speed was more significant that it was at a standstill. This was BT logged.

The stock setup has always suffered from insufficient flow, so it will be interesting to see how this stacks up.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 07:03 AM   #8
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I did test the DCIs versus the STETT Cold Air Intake (a true CAI). I showed the difference at speed was more significant that it was at a standstill. This was BT logged.

The stock setup has always suffered from insufficient flow, so it will be interesting to see how this stacks up.
As I logically expected.
Link me to your post results.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 07:06 AM   #9
Scimitar335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

800-900 bucks I bet. Their e36 CAI still goes for big bucks..
      06-01-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
As I logically expected.
Link me to your post results.
Here is the graph:

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #11
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

This is BT logged from a WOT run through a couple gears?
Or what exactly is the peaks from?

Clearly you can see though that the CAI has cooler temps than the DCI.
But I'm not sure how this was measured and if this is the Intake Air Temps?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #12
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
This is BT logged from a WOT run through a couple gears?
Or what exactly is the peaks from?

Clearly you can see though that the CAI has cooler temps than the DCI.
But I'm not sure how this was measured and if this is the Intake Air Temps?
Here is the full post:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=stett+cai+dci

A great deal of care was taken to make sure the testing was fair to both intakes.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar335i View Post
800-900 bucks I bet. Their e36 CAI still goes for big bucks..
Heard it was going to go for less than that.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #14
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

With the stock FMIC you have to either stay stock on your intake or use a CAI. With an upgraded FMIC I think you can get away with whatever you want to use. If you are using a DCI with the stock FMIC (especially with a tune!) I don't even want to know what your IAT's are at
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #15
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
With the stock FMIC you have to either stay stock on your intake or use a CAI. With an upgraded FMIC I think you can get away with whatever you want to use. If you are using a DCI with the stock FMIC (especially with a tune!) I don't even want to know what your IAT's are at
Zeph, I am not sure why you are speculating. There are facts here and no more need for speculation. With a 90% efficient intercooler the STETT CAI average 9F colder IATs then the DCIs. These are facts.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #16
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Zeph, I am not sure why you are speculating. There are facts here and no more need for speculation. With a 90% efficient intercooler the STETT CAI average 9F colder IATs then the DCIs. These are facts.
I am agree'ing with you don't use DCI unless you have upgraded FMIC then "you can get away with it".
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #17
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I am agree'ing with you don't use DCI unless you have upgraded FMIC then "you can get away with it".
I am not saying that either. The stock airbox is a restriction. It alone will result in increased IATs. I think DCIs are better than stock regardless of what tune you run.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #18
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am not saying that either. The stock airbox is a restriction. It alone will result in increased IATs. I think DCIs are better than stock regardless of what tune you run.
Oh oh, ok I see. I do disagree on that, I think the stock FMIC (regardless of IAT's) is more restrictive than the stock intake. YES that is speculation because we don't have that data. Mainly because of the output side connector on the FMIC. To add to that, I think the stock airbox brings in colder air than DCI's so with the stock FMIC (which is horrible) I would stick with stock airbox or a true CAI (like Stett). That is just my gut feeling

Of course I also feel like running any tune with a stock FMIC isn't a good idea either. But that is just me.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #19
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Oh oh, ok I see. I do disagree on that, I think the stock FMIC (regardless of IAT's) is more restrictive than the stock intake. YES that is speculation because we don't have that data. Mainly because of the output side connector on the FMIC. To add to that, I think the stock airbox brings in colder air than DCI's so with the stock FMIC (which is horrible) I would stick with stock airbox or a true CAI (like Stett). That is just my gut feeling

Of course I also feel like running any tune with a stock FMIC isn't a good idea either. But that is just me.
6 months ago, the intercooler upgrade was considered a novelty, now it is one of the 1st or 2nd things that must be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #20
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Transit

The thing I don't like about Dinan 'testing results' is that they apparently have a big ass fan that connects directly into the intake. I can't remember where I read it, but do remember seeing a pic of it or something. I wouldn't be surprised if they have some sort of contraption feeding air directly into their intake to 'inflate' their numbers. LOL.
Appreciate 0