BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Interesting article on EV's from Driving.ca

06-09-2017, 05:28 AM   #1
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Interesting article on EV's from Driving.ca

The author takes a pragmatic view of EV's, questions some of the fanboys but suggests some practical possibilities. This is a Canadian story but for our friends south of the boarder, the numbers can be multiplied by 10 to give a sense of what's going on in the US market. The one point I'd make is that the number of vehicle sales quoted I think are a bit skewed as here in Ontario I think that municipal and provincial governments likely make up a significant chunk of the EV's being bought, thus they are less popular with consumers.....I think anyway.

http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/motor-mouth
Appreciate 1
fbsm743.00
      06-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #2
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I keep saying the technology for both EV's and self driving is 25 years away, minimum 20.

The last 5% will take as long as the first 95% to get it right.

Everyone seems to think i am nuts or a hater but i just don't see it, we are still miles and miles away.
Appreciate 3
eluded2959.00
fbsm743.00
Viffermike1753.00
      06-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #3
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I keep saying the technology for both EV's and self driving is 25 years away, minimum 20.

The last 5% will take as long as the first 95% to get it right.

Everyone seems to think i am nuts or a hater but i just don't see it, we are still miles and miles away.
You're right, EV's will finally hit the market in 2037

lol

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tes...of2&yptr=yahoo
      06-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Nope, I saw a Tesla yesterday on the road, in Alaska no less.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #5
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Good, screw self driving cars. Don't want to drive your car? Walk or take the bus.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Good, screw self driving cars. Don't want to drive your car? Walk or take the bus.
I'd prefer a Google engineer "driving" over probably 99.9% of people actually hurtling along at 75+ mph while texting, eating, putting on makeup or just generally not giving a shit.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #7
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Pretty much this is what everyone wants. Look left and right at a traffic light and you'll see most people flipping their eyes up and down, playing with their phones. People's actions are demanding it.
      06-11-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Pretty much this is what everyone wants. Look left and right at a traffic light and you'll see most people flipping their eyes up and down, playing with their phones. People's actions are demanding it.
It's a fucking shame, I love driving and can't imagine sitting in a car and relying on technology to get me where I'm going.....the thought of a nanny state government telling me I can't drive makes me sick....fucking sick!
Appreciate 1
NickyC17341.50
      06-11-2017, 10:40 PM   #9
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
It's a fucking shame, I love driving and can't imagine sitting in a car and relying on technology to get me where I'm going.....the thought of a nanny state government telling me I can't drive makes me sick....fucking sick!
It's not a nanny government state, it's what the people want. YOU want to keep driving the car, but most people do not, they want to play with their phone, send texts, and surf the internet. Everyone that is making money off of Apple, Android and the current and future self-driving technology is laughing all the way to the bank. Those are the ones driving it, not "da guberment".

It's a shame, but it's the values that parents have instilled in their kids. They have normalized them to this suburbia lifestyle, rather than getting out and doing things outdoors. So many people think the goal is to get married, have kids, have a big house, and get a lot of stuff. There are huge side-effects that this has, but most people care only about themselves.
      06-12-2017, 07:06 AM   #10
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It's not a nanny government state, it's what the people want. YOU want to keep driving the car, but most people do not, they want to play with their phone, send texts, and surf the internet. Everyone that is making money off of Apple, Android and the current and future self-driving technology is laughing all the way to the bank. Those are the ones driving it, not "da guberment".

It's a shame, but it's the values that parents have instilled in their kids. They have normalized them to this suburbia lifestyle, rather than getting out and doing things outdoors. So many people think the goal is to get married, have kids, have a big house, and get a lot of stuff. There are huge side-effects that this has, but most people care only about themselves.
You make some valid points, but we here in Ontario have the biggest nanny state going, the government regulates everything, here is a fine example, The Apology Act:

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/09a03
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 08:08 AM   #11
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
You make some valid points, but we here in Ontario have the biggest nanny state going, the government regulates everything, here is a fine example, The Apology Act:

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/09a03
I firmly believe a sound body leads to a sound mind and everything comes after that. I see so many people that don't seem to care about their own health and activity and I see the laziness permeate through nearly every facet of their lives. This is what we have taught.
      06-12-2017, 08:28 AM   #12
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Nope, I saw a Tesla yesterday on the road, in Alaska no less.
You know exactly what i mean, as a mass market vehicle rather than a niche subsidised second vehicle for most.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #13
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
I firmly believe a sound body leads to a sound mind and everything comes after that. I see so many people that don't seem to care about their own health and activity and I see the laziness permeate through nearly every facet of their lives. This is what we have taught.
It's an outgrowth of the entitlement many Americans feel is their birthright for a variety of reasons too numerous to go into here. The key to interpreting that statement properly is to understand that there are basically as many reasons for feeling entitled as there are people -- and everyone feels their reasons are superior to everyone else's.

Fundamentally, yes -- physically, mentally, ideologically, and spiritually, this is laziness. But it's laziness borne partially through ignorance -- and a self-driving car would empower that ignorance for a class of citizen that largely lives in individually tailored and inflated bubbles.

Remember NIMBY? Not In My Back Yard?

Today it's NIMB. Not In My Brain.

It's scary. And it's why I'll drive my own car until the day I die.
Appreciate 1
sirdaft12193.50
      06-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #14
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You know exactly what i mean, as a mass market vehicle rather than a niche subsidised second vehicle for most.
How are we supposed to know what you meant if you didn't write what you meant?

You realize all the other US auto manufacturers are subsidized, right?