BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Saw the real production X7 (WOW!!!)

10-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #45
gmag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
It is likely going to be 6s to 60. Anyone paying that kind of money will expect more especially with 5-6 passengers. In the US the 750i outsells the 740i around 9:1. Good luck with that. My guess is it will be the same or worse for the X7. Oh and look around how many GLS450 do you see? And why is the only engine in an Escalade a 400hp 6.3 V8? My point is people will buy the V8 most of the time in the X7, and thus $100k plus price tag. You twisted my comments, they were to state at that price range most people will get the V8 especially with a heavy load of passengers.
I beg to differ;
In the US, the V8-engine S560 sedan handily outsells the V6-engine S450 sedan but when it comes to the GLS suv, the V6-engine GLS 450 suv handily outsells the V8-engine GLS 550 suv. I live in one of the 10 largest US cities/metropolitan areas and see lots and lots of GLS suvs driving around but 90%+ of the GLS I see on the road are the GLS 450 model!

Also from the X7 pre-production model drives, the journalists who got to drive the six cylinder X7 xDrive40i model described it as having more than adequate power and smoother and quieter than the V8 xDrive50i model. I expect 0-60 times for the xDrive40i (which will have a 335hp six-cylinder engine) to be around 5.7secs which is very,very respectable and more than adequate for an suv of this size, (for comparison, the Cadillac Escalade which has a big 420hp 6.2L V8 engine does 0-60 in 5.7sec)

BTW, from discussions with BMW personel @ the pre-production model test drives, the 6-cylinder X7 xDrive40i model is expected to be the volume seller of the X7 range.

Last edited by gmag; 10-13-2018 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #46
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

No point in arguing. Here in suburban Detroit, living in the wealthiest county I see very few GLS450 models, all are the 550/560 vehicles in the GLS/S cars. The gentleman who was previewing the X7 with me drives a GLS63. Unlike in the X5 where most are 35i models the X7 will be more often 50i. Again it's the market. I have driven every X5 and owned just about every model from the first 4.4i to the 4.8i and then the 50i and the next gen 50i and lastly my ///M. The non turbo 30i where absolute dogs. The 35i is adequate and the new 40i will be fine but in the heavier vehicle designed to carry 6 or 7 passengers it will be challenged. Its my opinion and experience having owned 15 BMWs since 2000. This is not a challenge just my observation and discussions with my local dealers as to sales. I am happy to chat personally if you wish to debate the virtues of these models and engines. And no I have ordered my new X5 as a 50i Msport model.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #47
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
No point in arguing. Here in suburban Detroit, living in the wealthiest county I see very few GLS450 models, all are the 550/560 vehicles in the GLS/S cars. The gentleman who was previewing the X7 with me drives a GLS63. Unlike in the X5 where most are 35i models the X7 will be more often 50i. Again it's the market. I have driven every X5 and owned just about every model from the first 4.4i to the 4.8i and then the 50i and the next gen 50i and lastly my ///M. The non turbo 30i where absolute dogs. The 35i is adequate and the new 40i will be fine but in the heavier vehicle designed to carry 6 or 7 passengers it will be challenged. Its my opinion and experience having owned 15 BMWs since 2000. This is not a challenge just my observation and discussions with my local dealers as to sales. I am happy to chat personally if you wish to debate the virtues of these models and engines. And no I have ordered my new X5 as a 50i Msport model.

Noushy
i'm right there with you noushy, as far as what engine i'd want in an x5 or x7 or GLS.. but numbers are numbers. you and i are not the majority. the 450s are the sellers for the GLS range, as are the 3.0s for the x5.

i've driven the GLS450 for example and found it far too sluggish for me, but the smoothness and quiet has an appeal to the typical buyer (a mom or dad with a bunch of rug rats). i'll prob feel the same way about a 6 powered x7, while the typical buyer will not. this is all assuming that the typical buyer of the x7 is the typical buyer of the GLS, which i expect to be the case. there's a shot that some land rover range rover buyers migrate over to the x7, in which case the v8 will be more proportionately popular than expected. time will tell i guess. think of it like this: in years past, where i didn't want a third row, the range rover supercharged was the only option to me. but now i'd spec a 22" m sport v8 x7 with captain's chairs, instead, and keep the third row folded except for occasional use. the rr is dead to me now, pretty much. maybe other range rover loyalists or people on the fence will feel the same

people are ok buying 4 cylinders in volvo suvs! it's just not a priority to most, looks like to me. third row access and ease and comfort plus some style trump that, i'd say, when the mommies and daddies are the target buyer. if it's the typical range buyer, different priorities. big engine near the top of that list.

Last edited by ppagiga; 10-13-2018 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
noushy1650.00
      10-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #48
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Just saw the vehicle as well, along with the M850i convertible. I don't know what people are saying that the 3rd row there's not that much room. I'm 6 feet flat and I sat back there comfortably as well as the person in front of me (2nd row) had space even moving their seat forward. For those that are concerned about 3 rd row leg room. Do not worry, there's room. Vehicle will be debuted next Wednesday and be available March of 2019.

The M850i convertible had a color called Dravit Grey. Gorgeous color. It has some hints of gold and in certain light angles some light green. It's going to be one of the standard color options when the car comes out in April 2019.
Appreciate 1
Penguino1603.50
      10-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #49
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

I'm 6'2 190lb and I just sat in the 3rd row and fit perfectly fine in the new X7. The car felt very luxurious inside and out. The middle row had about 2" with a friend that's 6'2" as well sitting behind me while I was in the drivers seat. All seats were very comfortable and you can see a big step up over the X5. I was able to compare them back to back and the difference in size is very noticeable.

The front grills are very large but go very well with the presence of the vehicle. The front and rear are very well designed. It almost felt like a BMW 'GLS' if that makes sense. Very impressed. The 22" wheels looked right at home in this vehicle.

Any questions feel free to ask. I'm currently at the live preview event.
      10-13-2018, 07:52 PM   #50
hursonka
Rep
Drives: bmw m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
I'm 6'2 190lb and I just sat in the 3rd row and fit perfectly fine in the new X7. The car felt very luxurious inside and out. The middle row had about 2" with a friend that's 6'2" as well sitting behind me while I was in the drivers seat. All seats were very comfortable and you can see a big step up over the X5. I was able to compare them back to back and the difference in size is very noticeable.

The front grills are very large but go very well with the presence of the vehicle. The front and rear are very well designed. It almost felt like a BMW 'GLS' if that makes sense. Very impressed. The 22" wheels looked right at home in this vehicle.

Are you familiar with the GLS to compare the cargo area width/height to give basis of comparison on size with the 3rd row down?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 08:47 PM   #51
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Glad to hear the feedback! Was invited to attend as well but was working late
      10-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #52
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Does anyone have a link to a Socal preview
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 07:19 AM   #53
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hursonka View Post
Quote:

Are you familiar with the GLS to compare the cargo area width/height to give basis of comparison on size with the 3rd row down?
The GLS has more trunk depth but felt like the 3rd row on the X7 had much room than the GLS.
      10-14-2018, 09:53 AM   #54
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

any idea on the dimensions ? over all length 200" + or under ?

Quote:
The GLS has more trunk depth but felt like the 3rd row on the X7 had much room than the GLS.
      10-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #55
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

But the real question is this: Is it a better than a Honda Odyssey Elite with it's built in vacuum, night vision interior camera and God Mode on the intercom.

I mean I want the X7 but I don't know if it is up to real world challenges of 3 young kids.....
....that is where the GL failed me.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #56
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon View Post
But the real question is this: Is it a better than a Honda Odyssey Elite with it's built in vacuum, night vision interior camera and God Mode on the intercom.

I mean I want the X7 but I don't know if it is up to real world challenges of 3 young kids.....
Quote:

If you are comparing to an Odyssey, get the Odyssey. It's a different league.
      10-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #57
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:

I don't think you're comparing the right cars...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 01:32 PM   #58
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

I've known quite of few folks go from minivan to 3 row SUV. Or the other way around. Go to a private elementary school parking lot and GLs and Odysseys are quite abundant . I'm sure a lot of folks cross shop the two.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #59
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I've known quite of few folks go from minivan to 3 row SUV. Or the other way around. Go to a private elementary school parking lot and GLs and Odysseys are quite abundant . I'm sure a lot of folks cross shop the two.
Well, You are right when you present it like this.
      10-16-2018, 04:30 AM   #60
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Today's the big day of the X7 release, and order start, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 05:50 AM   #61
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AstonMartin Virage, M6 GC

I think it might be in the evening based on what Autospies posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 09:16 AM   #62
squeaky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

6pm EST
Appreciate 0