BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 Quirks and Irks

06-14-2019, 04:55 AM   #89
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Presets is not remembered as last position and instead defaults back to XM, FM, etc. - This is my biggest nitpick with the X7. I would believe most people on Day 1 set their radio stations as Presets and spend the rest of the time they drive the car jumping between stations on the Presets list. Despite this, every time you end a trip and start a new one, the radio defaults to the last band you were listening to instead of the Presets list.

Wireless charger target zone - Every time I lie my phone down on the wireless charging pad it's an adventure, the sweet spot of the coil is too small, and one has to pull it down and towards the right to maybe get a solid connection that will last the duration of one trip.

Wireless charger blue light location - The car must have been designed for the UK as the blue light that indicates your smartphone is actually wirelessly charging is on the left edge of the pad which is impossible to see from the drivers seat unless you stretch your head across the center console.

Awkward way the front compartment opens - I'm not sure who thought that pushing down and forward on a wood door coated in shellac was a good idea but my wife can't figure it out and its a matter of time before she scratches the hell out of it.

Really small glove compartment - For the biggest car in BMW history it surely has the smallest glovebox in BMW history. Can't even fit the usual amount of napkins and papers in there, and it doesn't bow down deep inside. It has an almost flat bottom so keys and pens move all over the place including forward right into your lap.

No red/blue temperature shortcut - For long-time BMW enthusiasts this one is a huge miss, that little red/blue temperature wheel really made a quick and easy business of tweaking the temperature to be just right in winter, spring, summer, and fall. Now it's buried in the climate control menus. And unlike the Sync function, you can't make a 1-8 shortcut button to it. I use this wheel all the time. Now I have to drill through menus and it's awful.

Armrest leather and delicate aluminum trim unprotected with 3rd row folded down - We spend most of our time with the last row stored and use the back space for hockey equipment, groceries, soccer gear, etc. I wish BMW would have engineered for that use case and protect the 3rd row's armrests and aluminum trims so they aren't so exposed and won't get scratched.

Slowness of 3rd and 2nd row seats - I get the fact that the car is automated in this regard, but it's way too slow to be practical and frustrates the family. And since there are 4 different ways to trigger the movement of the middle row, couldn't one of them have been good 'ol manual mode so that my kids can get in and out in a fraction of the time?

First row seats move when back rows move - Heaven help a pregnant woman in the front passenger seat if the driver has to make a pitstop to pick up someone who has to get in the 3rd row as her seat folds almost perpendicular and slides towards the dashboard unexpectedly.

Captain's Chair passthru wasn't considered - It's like BMW went out of their way to say "nope, not going to let you use this car like a minivan, not going to make it easy for kids to go through the side doors and glide into the 3rd row" when it's something that would be a huge advantage to consumers and against their competitors. The armrests should have been made thinner or removable and that plastic tray cup holder shouldn't be on the floor. It takes almost 40 seconds to get a child into the 3rd row with all the time to wait for the motors to move everything and a second row passthru would have been a welcome addition. It's like BMW doesn't know who is buying these things.

Stunning lack of 3rd row air vents - This one is so outrageous its mind-boggling. If you don't have a tough winter and you think you don't need the Cold Weather Package, guess what- without it, you don't get A/C vents for the passengers in the claustrophobic 3rd row. They should call it a Hot Weather Package instead or at least train their salespeople on the subject. My kids are going to hate me on hot days. What $100K 7-passenger luxury SUV doesn't have rear air vents?

No remember last position on auto start/stop - BMW used to, as a courtesy upon request, code the car so that those of us who hate the start/stop feature could have it disabled. Now they don't do it. And the button on the X7 is small, slippery, and doesn't take on the first attempt half the time.

CarPlay works less than half the time - BMW says the problem is Apple's iOS but without fail every time BMW makes an iDrive update it breaks iOS and not the other way around. You would think they would figure it out by now.

The car can lower itself but it doesn't - I really like this one. Want the car to squat down when you put it in Park? Nope. Want the car to stay low down to make it easy to get back in on the next trip? Nope. Want the stance to be way down for a lower sense of gravity in Comfort or Sport mode? Nope. Want the car to be as low as humanly possible so you can squeeze into a parking garage without decapitating the cargo box on the roof? Nope. What is the point of this feature? It's an airbag to nowhere.

No bottle strap in rear compartment like 4 Series - Over the years BMW has added some nice touches in the trunks and rear compartments of its cars like the elastic bottle strap in my X5 which was the perfect place for a sports bottle enroute to baseball practice. In the X7, the SUV flagship, we get a small space with a tiny net and no other options in the most cavernous rear compartment in brand history.

Big Picture #1: It's like the designers assumed a world where everyone was using all three rows all the time. The electric folding seats are pitifully slow. The leather armrests and aluminum trim are exposed to damage from sliding cans and hockey sticks. There is no sense of tie-downs or nets to hold groceries or water bottles in place.

Big Picture #2: They call this "automation"? To get going on my trip, I need to a) start the car, b) hit the Auto Stop/Start button to off, c) hit the radio menu and d) navigate to Presets, e) drill in menus to get to the red/blue temperature wheel, and f) hit one of the shortcut buttons to set climate control to Sync. That's 6 actions in my X7 that used to be 1 in my X5. Not good.

There are many wonderful things about the X7, but in almost every case BMW has taken a step backwards on consumer conveniences and I can't fathom why. Their User Interface may be the best in the business but whoever is making the User Engagement decisions has most definitely never had kids, never owned a minivan, is never in a rush to get anywhere, and really likes to push a lot of buttons for the sake of a clean looking cockpit.
Wow I’m eyeing the X7 but this post is eye opening.

And, I don’t see much disagreement about what is said here.

What do you like about the X7? Should I reconsider buying an X7?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 12:41 PM   #90
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony16 View Post

Buy it! It’s an amazing vehicle. We all have our gripes about how it could be better, but I’ve never for a second wished I’d spent my money on something different.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 01:56 PM   #91
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

We just drove ours home last night from So. Cal to Nor. Cal and completely loved it.

Was able to score same color combo with some additional features AND the mandatory Cold Weather or 5 zone climate option!

Will post pictures elsewhere when wife decides to come home with it hahaha
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      06-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #92
nicedream
Rep
Drives: H

Quote:

Look at any forum for any model of any make. There are always niggles.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #93
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:

I love my X7. Easily the best car I've owned.

I can address some of these.

Wireless Charger Target Zone I haven't noticed this with my iPhone Xs Max. It works first time every time I put it in there. In fact, once it was charging and wasn't full in the tray.

Wireless Charging Blue Light I agree it is hard to see it, but I'd rather not. It is pretty bright and distracting at night. The only time it is an issue is looking to make sure the display key is charging. With my phone it vibrates when I set it in. It also displays the charging icon on the screen and in CarPlay (iOS 13 beta version).

Awkward way the front compartment opens I thinks it is simple after the first two time. I push down on the silver trim with the finger grip and not the wood.

Really small glove compartment Same issue here except it is hard with the close with the owners manual in there. There is a bump that gets in the way. No a big deal here as I use the center console more for storing things.

No red/blue temperature shortcut Not entirely sure what this is, I have red/blue arrows to adjust the temp. You can also push the "Menu/AC" down to set/unset sync.

Armrest leather and delicate aluminum trim unprotected with 3rd row folded down Yep.

Slowness of 3rd and 2nd row seats I see some folks complain about this, but I feel like it is just right to prevent any accidents where you don't see something in a seat and hit the button and crush something or poke a hole in a seat.

Captain's Chair passthru wasn't considered I wouldn't say they were not considered, but more they chose not to do that. My dealer told me with the 7-series that is was envisioned as an executive vehicle where they have a driver and want to be really comfortable in the back. That why there are folding tray accessories and coat hangers and such. They repeated that with the X7 that the captains chairs were geared more towards people with drivers to be driven around and be as comfortable as possible. Not necessarily folks frequently using the back row. Could they have made it bigger and accommodated a pass through? Sure, but I intentionally did not consider larger vehicles that had that capability. I also wouldn't like the seats to be narrower to accommodate it either. To each their own.

Stunning lack of 3rd row air vents Yes, this is an oversight.

No remember last position on auto start/stop True it is annoying, but it is easily fixable. BimmerCode can activate Auto SS memory. I have it on and it remembers.

CarPlay works less than half the time I do think this is Apple's issue. I have only had 1 issue with Carplay on iOS 13 beta. I hung up a call and left the vehicle for a while. When I returned I couldn't hear Tidal. When ajusting the volume it only showed the phone ringer volume. Had to hard reboot iDrive. No other connection issues though that folks here have experienced.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 03:00 PM   #94
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
No red/blue temperature shortcut Not entirely sure what this is, I have red/blue arrows to adjust the temp. You can also push the "Menu/AC" down to set/unset sync.
Someone here is insisting this does NOT work as a shortcut for the sync. Please confirm it is actually working for you?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #95
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Someone here is insisting this does NOT work as a shortcut for the sync. Please confirm it is actually working for you?
I got it to work once weeks ago, but it hasn’t worked since then.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #96
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Quote:
I've tried this tip several times and it's never work for me either.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #97
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Thanks all. I may go for a test drive this weekend!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 12:48 AM   #98
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Pushing down on the Menu/AC button brings up the 'menu' for temperature on the iDrive screen but does not work as a sync shortcut.

That said, all one needs to do is use the iDrive controller (don't touch the screen) to put the focus atop the 'Sync' function in iDrive and then Press + Hold one of the 1-8 Shortcut buttons and that is how one can create a one-touch physical button to enable Sync.

I have it on Shortcut button #1, works perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 12:53 AM   #99
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:

Hey Anthony, it was me who compiled that list of oversights/gripes and, yes, they are still a cause for frustration, but...

The X7 is simply a tremendous automobile and most definitely I made the right decision in purchasing one. For every 1 thing I wish BMW did differently there are 5 things they did extremely well and that's quite an accomplishment. Greatest luxury car I've ever owned, for sure. And quite unique as I still haven't seen another on the road in the 2 months I've owned it.
Appreciate 1
Bogey4me152.00
      06-15-2019, 07:41 AM   #100
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post

That said, all one needs to do is use the iDrive controller (don't touch the screen) to put the focus atop the 'Sync' function in iDrive and then Press + Hold one of the 1-8 Shortcut buttons and that is how one can create a one-touch physical button to enable Sync.

I have it on Shortcut button #1, works perfectly.
I agree - I don't think it could be any easier to sync.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #101
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This is what I get.

06-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #102
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is what I get.

Wow! That’s crazy. That is not the result mine produces when I hit that button. So strange.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #103
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85, G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
I know I don't have my x7 yet but I do have a loaner with a HUD. I didn't realize until I got this that you can't wear polarized sunglasses and see the HUD. It's super faint almost unreadable. You can turn your head and see it much easier but I was surprised to find that out. I love the polarized lenses.
You can also turn the HUD so that you don't have to turn your head. I can see it fine with my polarized lenses now.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 01:58 PM   #104
Tonycwm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 & 2018 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
Wow! That’s crazy. That is not the result mine produces when I hit that button. So strange.
I think I figured this out, not that it makes sense. Pressing the A/C button will only toggle between A/C and Sync IF you are already set on synchronize. If the two front seats are set on different temps OR the second row is turned off this won’t work and it will only turn A/C on and off.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2019, 03:53 PM   #105
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is what I get.

Thanks, yes, that's the reported sync shortcut feature. Makes it easiest, without even having to map to, and use up, an assignable button.

Thanks, Tonycwm I wonder if you're right.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2019, 09:07 PM   #106
UGAdawg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This is what I get.

Try doing that when the driver and passenger's temps are set differently. Doesn't work...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 09:40 PM   #107
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Yes confirmed that it doesn’t work unless all of the settings are already synced.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:06 PM   #108
NewX7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i, X7 (ordered)

I'm sorry but this post strikes me as someone who sees the world through a "glass is half empty" point of view and someone who is never going to be happy with anything in their life, in spite of owning one of the world's best large SUVs, if not THE best! It sounds to me like you should have bought a mini-van and not an X7, for what you are using it for.

We upgraded from our 2015 Range Rover which was fully loaded, and are absolutely
more than happy with the X7! Yes, it has it's quirks, as do ALL luxury vehicles, but you are just not going to please the soccer mom or dad who wants as much convenience out of a luxury SUV as your average mini-van kids hauler; those are speciality vehicles meant to do a specific thing. Just because this car has a 7th row, doesn't mean it was specifically designed to cart your kids around in silver spoon luxury, designed to you and your kids specific needs.

I honestly don't get it... So, what do you actually like about the vehicle, if anything? "An entire 30 seconds to electronically move a seat...and OH MY GOD, it considerately moves the front seats forward and out of the way too....."well, I never!" I mean seriously, how about marveling at the fact that it has electronic seat movers to begin with? I can tell you that after 3 years having to turn on the ignition of our Range Rover to move the front seats forward before you could even "manually" put the back seats down, having electronic seat positioning with the touch of a few buttons on the tailgate is a dream come true!
Appreciate 2
LittleJoe1064.00
PIPE_DR354.50
      06-18-2019, 12:58 PM   #109
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewX7 View Post
I'm sorry but this post strikes me as someone who sees the world through a "glass is half empty" point of view and someone who is never going to be happy with anything in their life, in spite of owning one of the world's best large SUVs, if not THE best! It sounds to me like you should have bought a mini-van and not an X7, for what you are using it for.

We upgraded from our 2015 Range Rover which was fully loaded, and are absolutely
more than happy with the X7! Yes, it has it's quirks, as do ALL luxury vehicles, but you are just not going to please the soccer mom or dad who wants as much convenience out of a luxury SUV as your average mini-van kids hauler; those are speciality vehicles meant to do a specific thing. Just because this car has a 7th row, doesn't mean it was specifically designed to cart your kids around in silver spoon luxury, designed to you and your kids specific needs.

I honestly don't get it... So, what do you actually like about the vehicle, if anything? "An entire 30 seconds to electronically move a seat...and OH MY GOD, it considerately moves the front seats forward and out of the way too....."well, I never!" I mean seriously, how about marveling at the fact that it has electronic seat movers to begin with? I can tell you that after 3 years having to turn on the ignition of our Range Rover to move the front seats forward before you could even "manually" put the back seats down, having electronic seat positioning with the touch of a few buttons on the tailgate is a dream come true!
You have a fair point and I think its a great personal observation. Having traded in a 2018 Range Rover Sport for a 2019 X7, I just sold the X7 after 3 months. While my Range Rover had its issues, it was at least consistent and could be fixed. They were also just annoyances. In the few months I have had my X7 it spent more time in the shop and for a huge variety of issues including losing all power while driving and other stability concerns. Random windows going down(I was always fearful to leave it parked outside if it would rain). This even happened in the service bay, they were baffled. So while I get that many will love the X7, and I do agree it is one of, if not the most luxurious vehicles on the road, it isn't quite fair to shut down the OP due to their feelings. Because if I had my way I would have kept the buggy Rover and its slight issues over the X7 and the daily frustration it caused. So its all about perspective and we all have different vehicles with different issues. I will stand up and say I should have not bought a year 1 product. That is my fault. I also know that BMW will make these perfect as time goes on. But again, I am not sure casting judgement on someone who was just expressing their issues is really fair. We all have our limits and when you spend so much on a vehicle, we will all have different levels of tolerance with issues.

I hope you all enjoy your X7s. I know I will miss mine in many ways. But I also know that when I got into my vehicle every day wondering what wasn't going to work right that day... it wasn't worth it for me to wait it out and play fix/try again. Granted, every time one drives by I will be a bit jealous of your amazing ride/performance/interiors. I will likely regret trading it down the road. But it feels good to be rid of it today. Again, just my feedback on someone who went from pure love to pure annoyance with my X7. Dont yell please, just expressing my situation. :-)
2018 RRS Autobiography - Fuji White (Sold)
2016 BMW M2 - Long Beach Blue (Sold)
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2019, 02:07 PM   #110
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

JDBrown sorry to hear all that. Did BMW buy back your X7 with all the documented problems, or did you just sell and take a loss?
Appreciate 0