forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Red flashing security light

01-04-2020, 07:45 PM   #1
kwilks
Rep
Drives: Alpina B7 - Jeep JL

Red flashing security light

Is there a way to turn off the flashing red light on the rear view mirror?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 09:33 PM   #2
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Try pressing the lock button again after locking it once (within a few seconds of the first lock press). IIRC, in older models, this disables the interior motion trigger for the alarm and turns off the red blinking light?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 02:36 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The red LED below the interior rear view mirror is the STATUS light for the anti-theft alarm siren system. It is going to illuminate anytime DWA (anti-theft alarm siren system) is activated. And the activation of DWA occurs anytime you use the remote fob, the driver's exterior door lock cylinder, or CA (comfort access) to lock the vehicle.

For a detailed explanation of how DWA works...click the following link: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...tem/1VnYei0UmD

If you do not want the DWA status LED to illuminate...then don't activate the anti-theft system. To do that means that you have to lock the car doors manually (pushing down each door pin)...or use the central lock button on the dash/center console. Since you have a tailgate that can't be locked manually on its own...you're resigned to having to use the central lock button on your console.

FYI...every BMW I've owned since 1985...you CAN'T lock the driver's door when it is open...so you may want to check to see if this carries over to the new generation X7. So if you need to lock the vehicle and not initiate DWA, then you can exit the driver's door and shut it...then reach around to one of the passenger doors and lock them all manually...or reach up to the central locking button and lock the doors...then close that last passenger door that you were using.

You can tell multiple things about what's going on with DWA by the way the light is flashing. The 1st pic below is the older description that goes back to the E chassis BMWs...and the 2nd pic is the new gen BMWs that also include how the light flashes when you deactivate the interior motion and tilt sensors. If you deactivate the IMS & Tilt sensors...the status LED is going to illuminate (constant) for 2 minutes...then begin to flash (so this is NOT a way to turn the LED off):

Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-06-2020 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 04:13 PM   #4
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
The red LED below the interior rear view mirror is the STATUS light for the anti-theft alarm siren system. It is going to illuminate anytime DWA (anti-theft alarm siren system) is activated. And the activation of DWA occurs anytime you use the remote fob, the driver's exterior door lock cylinder, or CA (comfort access) to lock the vehicle.

For a detailed explanation of how DWA works...click the following link: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...tem/1VnYei0UmD

If you do not want the DWA status LED to illuminate...then don't activate the anti-theft system. To do that means that you have to lock the car doors manually (pushing down each door pin)...or use the central lock button on the dash/center console. Since you have a tailgate that can't be locked manually on its own...you're resigned to having to use the central lock button on your console.

FYI...every BMW I've owned since 1985...you CAN'T lock the driver's door when it is open...so you may want to check to see if this carries over to the new generation X7. So if you need to lock the vehicle and not initiate DWA, then you can exit the driver's door and shut it...then reach around to one of the passenger doors and lock them all manually...or reach up to the central locking button and lock the doors...then close that last passenger door that you were using.

You can tell multiple things about what's going on with DWA by the way the light is flashing. The 1st pic below is the older description that goes back to the E chassis BMWs...and the 2nd pic is the new gen BMWs that also include how the light flashes when you deactivate the interior motion and tilt sensors. If you deactivate the IMS & Tilt sensors...the status LED is going to illuminate (constant) for 2 minutes...then begin to flash (so this is NOT a way to turn the LED off):

Nice! Thanks for the detailed report. I've always wondered but been to lazy to search for it
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 04:26 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0