BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum New X7 Build - no touchscreen?!

11-29-2021, 12:38 PM   #243
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteyski View Post
I picked up my X7 almost 2 weeks ago and unfortunately one of the touch screen deletions. Very annoyed at BMW if new builds are coming with touch-screen as they made it seem like it would be long term issue. Has anyone heard back from BMW corporate about future retro?
you're stuck. the coding is vin specific to the computer and touchscreen
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 12:45 PM   #244
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

I doubt BMW will come up with a retrofit, but there is nothing (other than $ and potential warranty issues) stopping you from sourcing a headunit/touchscreen from a salvage yard and having it coded to your vin.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 01:07 PM   #245
GL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i, 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Actually he is not stuck. Forum member with an X5 sourced an eBay touchscreen and did some coding. Not for everyone, but he's not stuck.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=27
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2021, 01:22 PM   #246
Scampiekat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530i and future X7

Quote:
Nice…when did you place order and when did production start?
order was placed in June. production started beginning of Oct.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 01:23 PM   #247
Scampiekat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530i and future X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DravitX7 View Post
We picked up our 2022 X7 M50i on Nov. 20th. It has the touchscreen! Only thing we could see missing was the wireless charging.

I don't think I have that either but it has the touchscreen
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 01:38 PM   #248
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL View Post
Quote:
Actually he is not stuck. Forum member with an X5 sourced an eBay touchscreen and did some coding. Not for everyone, but he's not stuck.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8;postcount=27
Yep; I should clarify that BMW corporate won't help you. As per the original post.

But yes, you can try to eBay and DIY. But as you say it's not for the faint of heart. And BMW won't back ya up.

True; I didn't specify that I was responding to his post about BMW corporate which won't fix it.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 02:07 PM   #249
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yep; I should clarify that BMW corporate won't help you. As per the original post.

But yes, you can try to eBay and DIY. But as you say it's not for the faint of heart. And BMW won't back ya up.

True; I didn't specify that I was responding to his post about BMW corporate which won't fix it.
Actually, the coding to retrofit a touchscreen back into the X7 (or X5) is even better since an OTA software update (or one from the dealer) won't "erase" this coding based on the coding method used in that link. It would require a laptop with coding software (not an app like BimmerCode) to do it though - I have done this type of coding before.

However, a paid coder could easily code this for a reasonable price ($100 or less I would speculate).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 02:25 PM   #250
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, the coding to retrofit a touchscreen back into the X7 (or X5) is even better since an OTA software update (or one from the dealer) won't "erase" this coding based on the coding method used in that link. It would require a laptop with coding software (not an app like BimmerCode) to do it though - I have done this type of coding before.

However, a paid coder could easily code this for a reasonable price ($100 or less I would speculate).
Quote:
I picked up my X7 almost 2 weeks ago and unfortunately one of the touch screen deletions. Very annoyed at BMW if new builds are coming with touch-screen as they made it seem like it would be long term issue. Has anyone heard back from BMW corporate about future retro?
BMW corporate definitely won't do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 03:29 PM   #251
liroyan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:

I think the biggest risk here is this would void factory warranty, tho I'm not sure about any detail. The bmw genius I talked with said this will break the "integrity of the car" thus void the warranty.
I had to resist not telling him you lost the integrity already by doing this to us.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 04:11 PM   #252
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by liroyan View Post
I think the biggest risk here is this would void factory warranty, tho I'm not sure about any detail. The bmw genius I talked with said this will break the "integrity of the car" thus void the warranty.
I had to resist not telling him you lost the integrity already by doing this to us.
The BMW “genius” you spoke to is really stupid. And that “break the integrity of the car” statement - that is some BS they feed to the ill informed as making changes to the car like this is not officially sanctioned (or performed) by BMW or the dealers. Coding in and of itself will not void your warranty, unless you cause damage to a component/module that could be attributed to the coding - which is pretty hard to do unless you do something really stupid.

In pretty much every instance of coding, you are merely turning on functionality that is already resident in the car. Typical worst case scenario is trying to turn on (or code on) something when the actual hardware is not installed in the car - in which case nothing happens (or maybe a shadow error code is thrown). The absolute worst case scenario is that you lock up a module, which could mean a trip to the dealer to reset it or help from a paid coder to reset it. But this is pretty rare as well, again unless you do something really stupid.

That said, I would not grab some coding software (like the BimmerCode app for example) and start randomly changing parameters to see what happens either.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18195.50
      11-29-2021, 07:22 PM   #253
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

Coding in and of itself will not void your warranty, unless you cause damage to a component/module that could be attributed to the coding - which is pretty hard to do unless you do something really stupid.

That said, I would not grab some coding software (like the BimmerCode app for example) and start randomly changing parameters to see what happens either.
Weeellll ... BMWNA could, functionally.

Just like BMW eliminating touchscreens from some cars and delivering them to customers, BMW can simply stop reimbursing BMW dealers for warranty work for a specific VIN. BMWNA doesn't need to prove anything to anyone to do that, nor do they need any approvals, nor do they need to ask permission; just like with the touchscreens they'll simply do it.

The customer remedy (incl any Moss-Mag type arguments) is to sue BMWNA which, due to continuances, etc will take years and I'd be quite surprised if any judge ruled in favor of an owner spelunking into their car's software simply to add flair.

Now, is that probable? Likely no. It probably depends on how bad you screwed things up and how much BMWNA wanted to make an example out of you (e.g., spun crank hub).

NET-NET:
It's definitely a grey area and anyone trying it should be prepared for the possibility, however low, of losing their warranty be it explicitly or implicitly ... especially if there's a record of having called a BMW Genius and said Genius saying it's a no-no.
Appreciate 2
jmciver1839.50
      11-30-2021, 06:52 AM   #254
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

Coding in and of itself will not void your warranty, unless you cause damage to a component/module that could be attributed to the coding - which is pretty hard to do unless you do something really stupid.

Weeellll ... BMWNA could, functionally.

Just like BMW eliminating touchscreens from some cars and delivering them to customers, BMW can simply stop reimbursing BMW dealers for warranty work for a specific VIN. BMWNA doesn't need to prove anything to anyone to do that, nor do they need any approvals, nor do they need to ask permission; just like with the touchscreens they'll simply do it.

The customer remedy (incl any Moss-Mag type arguments) is to sue BMWNA which, due to continuances, etc will take years and I'd be quite surprised if any judge ruled in favor of an owner spelunking into their car's software simply to add flair.

Now, is that probable? Likely no. It probably depends on how bad you screwed things up and how much BMWNA wanted to make an example out of you (e.g., spun crank hub).

NET-NET:
It's definitely a grey area and anyone trying it should be prepared for the possibility, however low, of losing their warranty be it explicitly or implicitly ... especially if there's a record of having called a BMW Genius and said Genius saying it's a no-no.
But what is life without a little bit of risk…. After all, we still need to get out of bed every day…...

But seriously, for the less informed that are reading these last few posts and want to learn, obviously nothing is zero risk when it comes to coding (or anything in life). But as long as you are smart about it, and it is not hard to be smart about it, the risks associated with coding are very low. You need to find your comfort level and be as informed as you can before making coding decisions. But no need to over think it either….

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 01:16 PM   #255
X7Newbie
Rep
Drives: BMWX7

Angry No Touchscreen

My X7 was stolen on Oct 1. My new one is on a train from Greer and is expected to arrive on Sunday. I received this email from the sales rep today.
"One other thing, the control display panel is not a touch screen, no chip for that, you’ll have to use the i-drive controller for that. All cars manufactured in November onwards till further notice, no touch screens. Same with all the other Manufacturers I’m told. Supply chain issue. "
So what recourse do I have?
Kim
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 02:13 PM   #256
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by X7Newbie View Post
My X7 was stolen on Oct 1. My new one is on a train from Greer and is expected to arrive on Sunday. I received this email from the sales rep today.
"One other thing, the control display panel is not a touch screen, no chip for that, you’ll have to use the i-drive controller for that. All cars manufactured in November onwards till further notice, no touch screens. Same with all the other Manufacturers I’m told. Supply chain issue. "
Kim
Don’t accept the car and wait till touchscreens are back. People have talked about retrofitting but I don’t think anyone has actually done it yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 02:25 PM   #257
bradythedog12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i, 2014 X6 50i

Not only that, there have been posts of folks ordering recently that do indeed have the touchscreen. When you get your VIN, look it up to make sure. If it does not have it, and that will bother you, then don’t accept it and wait til they are available… as BYEIL suggested.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #258
hulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 x40i

That's not true.

New X7s produced in last week do have touchscreen.

Decline your delivery and reorder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X7Newbie View Post
Kim
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 03:54 PM   #259
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulu View Post
That's not true.

New X7s produced in last week do have touchscreen.

Decline your delivery and reorder.
Can you be clear in your posts since you’re confusing people. It’s not a guarantee that every order has the touchscreen.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 04:23 PM   #260
djbonsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05' L322 Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Don't accept the car and wait till touchscreens are back. People have talked about retrofitting but I don't think anyone has actually done it yet.

Actually is has been done

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28271385
2020 X7 xDrive40i Mineral White//Ivory White Full Merino//Piano Black Trim//Cold Weather//Driving Assistance//Luxury Seating// Executive//Style 755-22" Y-Spoke Wheels//Space Saver Spare//Leather Dash//Ambient Air//Harmon Kardon//Extended Shadowline//Alcantara Headliner//
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 05:09 PM   #261
liroyan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Can you be clear in your posts since you’re confusing people. It’s not a guarantee that every order has the touchscreen.
have we seen a build without touchscreen in last 1 or 2 weeks?

of course I agree with that "not a guarantee" from bmw side. they still claim no touchscreen for every one.

I declined and reordered. new prod date is 12/11.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 07:40 PM   #262
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbonsu View Post

Your link doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 07:54 PM   #263
djbonsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05' L322 Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbonsu View Post

Your link doesn't work.
Oops…Fixed now
2020 X7 xDrive40i Mineral White//Ivory White Full Merino//Piano Black Trim//Cold Weather//Driving Assistance//Luxury Seating// Executive//Style 755-22" Y-Spoke Wheels//Space Saver Spare//Leather Dash//Ambient Air//Harmon Kardon//Extended Shadowline//Alcantara Headliner//
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 02:23 PM   #264
waqiidepp
WaqiiDepp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07%E2%80%99 328xi coupe, 12%E2

This thread has been quite for a few days now. I am assuming the cars coming in now have touch screen. My X7 just got delivered today and I will be picking it up this week. The SA doesn't know if it has touch screen or not - he just assumed that none of the X5 and X7 have touchscreen and told me it doesn't. I have asked him to go and check.
When I run my VIN I don't see and deletion code as well (S6UY). What do you guys think ?
Appreciate 0