BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

03-12-2022, 03:21 PM   #5545
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Quote:
To your credit…..

…..it is Beverly Hills. Those officers aren't doing the kind of work that we're doing in other areas of L.A. County; kind of like Irvine P.D. versus departments in the western part of Orange County (…e.g…Santa Ana, etc.). You were probably one of the more exciting enforcement situations of the day.
That's probably true (thankfully).

Btw, I did look up the ordinance, and all I could find was: https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/code..._ca/0-0-0-5223

Specifically, Section 5-1-204 B. provides, in relevant part, "It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motor vehicle within the city in such a manner that a reasonable person of normal sensitiveness residing in the area is caused discomfort or annoyance; provided, however, any such vehicle which is operated upon any public highway, street, or right of way shall be excluded from the provisions of this section."

But this ordinance has been in effect since 2011; and it does appear to give a large amount of deference as to who a "reasonable person" is.

When there are ferraris and lamborghinis with stock exhausts at idle that are louder than my car downshifting to 3k RPM, on a commercial (not residential) street, I'm simply unsure (I'm not a traffic attorney, though) how my driving could have been perceived to cause discomfort or annoyance to a reasonable person.
This is left up to the officer to articulate. The "reasonable person" verbiage is used a lot in the penal code/vehicle code statutes.
We learn that day 1 in torts class. So, he probably could have given me the ticket, but there is case law and statutory law defining that reasonable person, and given my circumstances, he likely would have failed to prove the violation prima facie, which may be why he let me off. I wasn't revving or speeding, just downshifting.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 03:26 PM   #5546
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
^ Looking at it as a layman I would say that cop was overstepping the mark and zero'd in on you because BMW M car and no other reason.
Sedan ain't kidding. The only place I've seen a Veneno live and in person was BH. Also a Lycan and never seen that anywhere else in all my travels.

Huracan, 911 (outside of GT2/GT3 etc) G63, every 63 and M and RS models are all basic bitches in BH.

There was a humorous moment recently when coming back from the dealership and they had given me 840GC. My buddy commented as we were sitting at the light on Wilshire and Cannon, he said how he felt like we were peons on the road. We were the poors he said. I glanced around the intersection and he wasn't kidding. We were the cheapest car by a long shot and it wasn't even close lol.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25166.50
SaMaster144455.50
M5Rick60826.50
      03-12-2022, 03:33 PM   #5547
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
To your credit…..

…..it is Beverly Hills. Those officers aren't doing the kind of work that we're doing in other areas of L.A. County; kind of like Irvine P.D. versus departments in the western part of Orange County (…e.g…Santa Ana, etc.). You were probably one of the more exciting enforcement situations of the day.
That's probably true (thankfully).

Btw, I did look up the ordinance, and all I could find was: https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/code..._ca/0-0-0-5223

Specifically, Section 5-1-204 B. provides, in relevant part, "It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motor vehicle within the city in such a manner that a reasonable person of normal sensitiveness residing in the area is caused discomfort or annoyance; provided, however, any such vehicle which is operated upon any public highway, street, or right of way shall be excluded from the provisions of this section."

But this ordinance has been in effect since 2011; and it does appear to give a large amount of deference as to who a "reasonable person" is.

When there are ferraris and lamborghinis with stock exhausts at idle that are louder than my car downshifting to 3k RPM, on a commercial (not residential) street, I'm simply unsure (I'm not a traffic attorney, though) how my driving could have been perceived to cause discomfort or annoyance to a reasonable person.
Were those stock Lambos and Ferraris in race mode after 10pm and burbling and farting?

I'm not sure why you've invested this much time and energy into something this trivial. Is it because a lowly civil servant interrupted your evening and now you feel like you can't rest until he feels the full might of your vengeance?

If so, congrats. You fit right into the neighborhood. I've literally been pulled over before and the cop said he did it because he "heard me" going down the street. That's the price I pay for driving what I drive and modding what I mod. My manhood and my ego remains intact that I had that interaction. Go ahead, bring it up with the BAR association. Let us know how that goes.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 03:39 PM   #5548
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Sedan ain't kidding. The only place I've seen a Veneno live and in person was BH. Also a Lycan and never seen that anywhere else in all my travels.

Huracan, 911 (outside of GT2/GT3 etc) G63, every 63 and M and RS models are all basic bitches in BH.

There was a humorous moment recently when coming back from the dealership and they had given me 840GC. My buddy commented as we were sitting at the light on Wilshire and Cannon, he said how he felt like we were peons on the road. We were the poors he said. I glanced around the intersection and he wasn't kidding. We were the cheapest car by a long shot and it wasn't even close lol.
Remembering our vacation staying in Santa Monica we bussed up and down Wilshire Blvd so many times and of course fitted in a visit to Rodeo Drive $$$
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144455.50
      03-12-2022, 03:53 PM   #5549
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Were those stock Lambos and Ferraris in race mode after 10pm and burbling and farting?

I'm not sure why you've invested this much time and energy into something this trivial. Is it because a lowly civil servant interrupted your evening and now you feel like you can't rest until he feels the full might of your vengeance?

If so, congrats. You fit right into the neighborhood. I've literally been pulled over before and the cop said he did it because he "heard me" going down the street. That's the price I pay for driving what I drive and modding what I mod. My manhood and my ego remains intact that I had that interaction. Go ahead, bring it up with the BAR association. Let us know how that goes.
No, not at all. I was absolutely respectful to the officer and shrugged it off. Made my post after it happened, wondering on a whim, since that's exactly what this thread is about. If someone had immediately posted the BH ordinance that says "no sport mode," I would have thanked the poster for teaching me something new and have been thankful that I got off with a warning.

Maybe it's the attorney in me wanting to spend a few minutes looking at the relevant law. It seems like I've been having quite a cordial conversation with Sedan Clan and M5Rick, so I'm not sure why you're attacking my ego and assuming that I "fit right in" somewhere where we've had a couple of interactions on a forum behind a keyboard.

No problems with my ego here, although, I'm not sure why you keep bringing that up and defending your own when I never once even made a post directly speaking to you, other than to respond in a general way to your posts and to describe the facts of my situation.

Again, nuances in conversation don't come off well on an internet forum, so I apologize if I somehow came off as arrogant or attacking you in any way. Just trying to start a conversation and explain a situation that occurred to me, which had me quite surprised.

Regarding the Bar Association, when I likely present in the near future on some securities related issues relating to blockchain and cryptocurrency, I will absolutely raise it - not in a derogatory way, but with actual interest.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 04:18 PM   #5550
shoei
Banned
Rep

The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

Why do I keep bringing it up? For a man who doesn't have an ego, you're sure quick to go on and on to everyone how you're an attorney. And you live 5 mins from Rodeo. And how you've lived a privileged life. And how it's not fair that there's Ferraris and Lambos in BH but you got pulled over.

Not once after everyone - including another law enforcement officer - pointed out this is normal in BH and has been for quite some time (decade plus) did you say, gee well I guess if my car wasn't farting and burbling cuz I was in sport+ mode… Its still not fair not right and you'll bring it up with the bar (LOL) association - considering you have to meet with them anyways to discuss crypto currencies and whatever other mumbo jumbo you said.

So care to show us your humbleness and how I might've missed that in the middle of all your other words?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 04:26 PM   #5551
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Care to post a photograph of your car (….or is it the one in your avatar)? Does your exhaust appear modified? I'm very curious to see what that officer saw.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 04:48 PM   #5552
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

2 threads now that shoei is derailing and making fucking dull. Go elsewhere if you just want to rant at people and jump to conclusions about their character.
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144455.50
      03-12-2022, 04:49 PM   #5553
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Why do I keep bringing it up? For a man who doesn't have an ego, you're sure quick to go on and on to everyone how you're an attorney. And you live 5 mins from Rodeo. And how you've lived a privileged life. And how it's not fair that there's Ferraris and Lambos in BH but you got pulled over.

Not once after everyone - including another law enforcement officer - pointed out this is normal in BH and has been for quite some time (decade plus) did you say, gee well I guess if my car wasn't farting and burbling cuz I was in sport+ mode… Its still not fair not right and you'll bring it up with the bar (LOL) association - considering you have to meet with them anyways to discuss crypto currencies and whatever other mumbo jumbo you said.

So care to show us your humbleness and how I might've missed that in the middle of all your other words?
Never once did I say anything was unfair. I'm sure those ferraris and Lamborghinis get pulled over as well. I was just surprised that I was pulled over, is all. I also felt that the officer's mentioning this "new law" (and he did say "new," so he must not have been referencing the ordinance I pulled), and then letting me go meant his pulling me over had no merit.

You asked if I knew Beverly Hills and that I "shouldn't do dumb shit" there. - I was only indicating that I've grown up in the area and drive it all the time and have never been pulled over. Please let me know where I said it wasn't "fair" ... only that I was surprised. And, as I pointed out, the law is not "you can't drive in sport mode"

Didn't know mentioning my profession was frowned upon, either. I said I would bring it up with the Bar Association out of pure curiously

I may be digging a grave here, but I think the word is humility, and I can already tell I'm not going to convince you of anything behind a keyboard. We don't know each other in person, and maybe I was quick to jump and respond to certain posts, but I'm not bringing character witnesses to bimmerpost nor do I need to prove myself to an internet persona. I won't respond to your posts calling me out directly anymore, but will of course continue any discourse on topic.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 04:52 PM   #5554
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Care to post a photograph of your car (….or is it the one in your avatar)? Does your exhaust appear modified? I'm very curious to see what that officer saw.
Sure!

I do have the BMS tips on the exhaust, so it doesn't look absolutely stock. But the exhaust itself is stock.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan25166.50
M5Rick60826.50
Buug95917721.50
zb26031055.50
      03-12-2022, 04:56 PM   #5555
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sure!

I do have the BMS tips on the exhaust, so it doesn't look absolutely stock. But the exhaust itself is stock.
Nice car! I wonder if the combination of the exhaust's appearance coupled with the noise of the downshift is what drew his attention (…add in a little boredom for effect).
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144455.50
      03-12-2022, 04:58 PM   #5556
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

P.S. Based on your registration info, you live in a nice area.
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144455.50
      03-12-2022, 04:58 PM   #5557
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nice car! I wonder if the combination of the exhaust's appearance coupled with the noise of the downshift is what drew his attention (…add in a little boredom for effect).
Most likely. And again, he did let me go. Could have thought I was a kid in "daddy's car" and wanted to teach me a lesson (maybe why his first question to me, after asking for my license and registration, was "is this your car?")

BH police have a HORRIBLE reputation throughout LA counties, and have been in hot water for discriminately pulling people over lately.
Appreciate 1
zb26031055.50
      03-12-2022, 05:01 PM   #5558
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Most likely. And again, he did let me go. Could have thought I was a kid in "daddy's car" and wanted to teach me a lesson (maybe why his first question to me, after asking for my license and registration, was "is this your car?")

BH police have a HORRIBLE reputation throughout LA counties, and have been in hot water for discriminately pulling people over lately.
I'll play Devil's advocate.

I ask people if the car is their's as well because I am assessing where I want to take my traffic stop. If it's their car I have less to consider. What I mean by that is I am less likely to impound somebody else's car or cite for certain things if the person operating the vehicle is not the registered owner.

BTW…..

….most traffic stops are discriminate.
Appreciate 2
SaMaster144455.50
mahalom3163.00
      03-12-2022, 05:05 PM   #5559
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I ask people if the car is their's as well because I am assessing where I want to take my traffic stop. If it's their car I have less to consider. What I mean by that is I am less likely to impound somebody else's car or cite for certain things if the person driving is not the registered owner.

BTW…..

That's a fair evaluation. It's a small control group, since I've probably been pulled over less than 5 times in my life, but this was the first time I've been asked if the car belonged to me.

And of course, I agree that most stops are discriminate, but BHPD has had more problems than not, mostly tied to racial profiling, and something seems to pop up in the local news every month or so the past few years, to that end.
Appreciate 1
zb26031055.50
      03-12-2022, 05:08 PM   #5560
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I ask people if the car is their's as well because I am assessing where I want to take my traffic stop. If it's their car I have less to consider. What I mean by that is I am less likely to impound somebody else's car or cite for certain things if the person driving is not the registered owner.

BTW…..

That's a fair evaluation. It's a small control group, since I've probably been pulled over less than 5 times in my life, but this was the first time I've been asked if the car belonged to me.

And of course, I agree that most stops are discriminate, but BHPD has had more problems than not, mostly tied to racial profiling, and something seems to pop up in the local news every month or so the past few years, to that end.
I'm playing Devil's advocate again…..

…but we all racially profile. You do it. I do it. The person next to you does it. Most people engage in profiling without even being cognizant of what they are doing. We can perceive when someone is a potential hazard. The mainstream media hacks love to sell it as racism when truly it's a mixture of personal experience and intuition (…merged with statistical data).
Appreciate 3
SaMaster144455.50
Buug95917721.50
shoei7779.00
      03-12-2022, 05:14 PM   #5561
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

…but we all racially profile. You do it. I do it. The person next to you does it. The mainstream media hacks love to sell it as racism when truly it's a mixture of personal experience and intuition (…merged with statistical data).
Absolutely; everyone has implicit biases. My main point is that BHPD seems to do it more frequently and more egregiously than others. And of course, this could be tied to how the media loves to take on BH.

Unrelated to the racial profiling, but another experience I had with a BH police officer a year or so ago was when I was making a left turn in a left turn lane. A Mercedes S63 blew through the red light almost hit me. Seeing the Merc not slowing down, I stayed in the middle of the intersection until he passed (the light was now red). The Merc did this right in front of a motorcycle cop, who, instead of chasing him down, flashed at me and yelled "get the f*ck out of the intersection quicker... f*ckin' BMW")

EDIT: I guess I shouldn't be surprised by anything BHPD do anymore and just be thankful I don't have any tickets on my record.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25166.50
zb26031055.50
      03-12-2022, 05:16 PM   #5562
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

…but we all racially profile. You do it. I do it. The person next to you does it. The mainstream media hacks love to sell it as racism when truly it's a mixture of personal experience and intuition (…merged with statistical data).
Absolutely; everyone has implicit biases. My main point is that BHPD seems to do it more frequently and more egregiously than others. And of course, this could be tied to how the media loves to take on BH.

Unrelated to the racial profiling, but another experience I had with a BH police officer a year or so ago was when I was making a left turn in a left turn lane. A Mercedes S63 blew through the red light almost hit me. Seeing the Merc not slowing down, I stayed in the middle of the intersection until he passed (the light was now red). The Merc did this right in front of a motorcycle cop, who, instead of chasing him down, flashed at me and yelled "get the f*ck out of the intersection quicker... f*ckin' BMW")

EDIT: I guess I shouldn't be surprised by anything BHPD do anymore
The BMW boys must've really made a bad name for themselves in Beverly Hills. Where I patrol it's the drivers of Dodge Chargers.
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144455.50
      03-12-2022, 05:18 PM   #5563
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The BMW boys must've really made a bad name for themselves in Beverly Hills. Where I patrol it's the drivers of Dodge Chargers.
You're probably right. The Infiniti crowd too, apparently.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 05:32 PM   #5564
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

The silliest call of the day so far. This is the nonsense people call law enforcement for.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-14-2022 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 2
Buug95917721.50
SaMaster144455.50
      03-12-2022, 05:33 PM   #5565
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"HoodCats"
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25166.50
      03-12-2022, 05:42 PM   #5566
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
The silliest call of the day so far. This is the nonsense people call law enforcement for.
Trying to understand the call, is one sister calling about the other? If so there really should be some penalty for such frivolous calls if there isn't something relevant already on the books.