BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #23
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
I am, as long as it works with the same brake bleeder from my Porsches. I assume the same reservoir is shared by the brakes and clutch?
Yes it's a common reservoir with a baffle.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 01:14 PM   #24
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Yes it's a common reservoir with a baffle.
Is the slave cylinder bleeding nipple pretty easy to find?

Oh, and do you need to add a threaded coupler between the two hydraulic lines, once the valve is removed?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #25
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Is the slave cylinder bleeding nipple pretty easy to find?

Oh, and do you need to add a threaded coupler between the two hydraulic lines, once the valve is removed?
On my Z the bleeder is easy to find.. right on the slave.
& no extra coupler required; just toss the CDV & re-couple the line.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #26
si1972
Private
Rep
Drives:

OMG! now I know why I could never get on with my E46 convertible stick! I always had problems shifting and had to concentrate and then it still felt wrong.

Then I moved to an audi A3 and love it.. recently test drove a new 3 series coupe and it was exactly the same as my convertible.. this answers why!

If the 1 coupe has one im having it removed immediatly!

Si
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #27
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by si1972 View Post
OMG! now I know why I could never get on with my E46 convertible stick! I always had problems shifting and had to concentrate and then it still felt wrong.

Then I moved to an audi A3 and love it.. recently test drove a new 3 series coupe and it was exactly the same as my convertible.. this answers why!

If the 1 coupe has one im having it removed immediatly!

Si
Did the E30 325e have a CDV? I was able to make extremely smooth shifts in that car.

I had never heard of a CDV until I joined this forum, but based upon what I've heard it sounds like something that I could definitely do without.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #28
Won35i
Unofficial Official "IN"
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi Alpine Weiss

Its more for those people that want a stick but dont really know how to drive one. Then everyone can say, "I drive a stick".
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #29
redwood
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 BMW 328i

Granted, I haven't tried it without, but I've owned an E36 M3 and have an E46 328i and I don't have a problem with the CDV. The clutch feels great to me. Maybe ignorance is bliss?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 03:36 PM   #30
imported_Sam
Bimmajockey
Rep
Drives:

Here's everything you need to know about CDVs...
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_te...heck_valve.htm

Hence, the reason I so desperately want to get rid of mine after installing a lightweight flywheel last week. It's definitely noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 04:41 PM   #31
murdoc158
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
On my Z the bleeder is easy to find.. right on the slave.
& no extra coupler required; just toss the CDV & re-couple the line.
I forget who makes it, but someone makes a "hollow" CDV to put in place of the actual CDV. The reasoning behind putting something back in is if you have worries about BMW denying you warranty work do to removing this. Personally, I would make sure to be on the Service Advisors' good side before I brought my car in for ANY kind of work. Some SA are sticklers for the rules, others are enthusiasts like the rest of us. Just make sure you find an enthusiast and you should be fine dealing with warranty issues.
      07-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #32
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Here's everything you need to know about CDVs...
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_te...heck_valve.htm

Hence, the reason I so desperately want to get rid of mine after installing a lightweight flywheel last week. It's definitely noticeable.
Thanks to everyone who answered my questions!

How much did you need to pay for the light FW and install?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 06:08 AM   #33
imported_tdc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post
I forget who makes it, but someone makes a "hollow" CDV to put in place of the actual CDV. The reasoning behind putting something back in is if you have worries about BMW denying you warranty work do to removing this. Personally, I would make sure to be on the Service Advisors' good side before I brought my car in for ANY kind of work. Some SA are sticklers for the rules, others are enthusiasts like the rest of us. Just make sure you find an enthusiast and you should be fine dealing with warranty issues.
No worries about warranty issues since the CDV can't even be found on the ETK.

07-27-2007, 06:33 AM   #34
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post
Yes, Zeckhausen makes the unit.
It's the OE CDV with the orifice drilled out.

That's actually what I did with mine, for the reason you stated.
It's only ~ $35 or so.

However, since that time others have just removed them w/o any repercussions from the dealer.
Some have actually had the dealer do the removal.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #35
imported_Sam
Bimmajockey
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who answered my questions!

How much did you need to pay for the light FW and install?

It happened near my beach house 150+ miles away from my regular shop so I paid a local BMW dealer to do it and had the parts shipped from UUC. It was $855 for labor and $795 for the flywheel/clutch kit. That included a stg1 lightweight flywheel, m5 clutch and m3 pressure plate plus the bolts, bearings, etc.. However, if I had the time, I would've done it with the help of a friend in our friend's garage. Unfortunately, both of us are too busy right now. I helped him install a flywheel and clutch on his 99 M3 a few months ago...not a terrible job if you have the tools and a lift or pit.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #36
dieselchas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimaGt View Post
Theory of Operation - What is a CDV?
The Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) is a one-way restrictor installed by the factory between the clutch slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder, as shown in Figure 1. It "delays" the engagement of the clutch, much like old record players used a damped tone-arm to gently lower the needle onto the surface of a record.
Because of this valve, no matter how quickly you lift your foot off the clutch pedal, the clutch engages the flywheel at a constant (slow) rate. In theory, it can save the driveline from shock, were an inexperienced (or immature) driver to dump the clutch at high RPM. But in practice, all it does is prematurely wear out the clutch and turn experienced drivers into people who, despite 20 years of practice, cannot shift gears smoothly. During parallel parking maneuvers, the delay can be infuriating, causing constant clutch slippage. And during hard acceleration, the large amount of clutch slippage can greatly shorten the life of your clutch.
I am a newbie to this whole CDV thing. Seeing as how it spins the flywheel more, will it dampen your ability to spin the tires?

So, not that it is the best thing to do (but with 300hp) I may want to spin the tires a few times. I do enjoy some spirited throttle steering on rainy days. You know, doughnuts! We get alot of leaf fall come fall in the valley. You combine a good dumping of leaves + rain + private empty parking lot that my friend owns and we are talking some fun. Kind of like driving on ice only slightly messier.