BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Service dept always send you to genious anytime there's a "smart related issue"

06-02-2020, 11:12 PM   #1
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7

Service dept always send you to genious anytime there's a "smart related issue"

The other day had remotely started my, went in press the start stop button, put into gear expected to back up, nothing happened. Couldn't shift to gear or anything. Press the button again and the car shut off. Press again to manually start it up then I can put the car into gear.

Same time, I tell them very often, the car doesn't detect my key and won't unlock. I have to get the key out of the pocket and press the button on the keyfob. He proceeded and tell me he'll have me talk to the genious.

this is a computer/sensor issue not a genious issue. Sorry to say but when I took delivery of my car, I knew more about it than the genious and had to correct him on some feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 01:40 AM   #2
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapie408 View Post
The other day had remotely started my, went in press the start stop button, put into gear expected to back up, nothing happened. Couldn't shift to gear or anything. Press the button again and the car shut off. Press again to manually start it up then I can put the car into gear.

Same time, I tell them very often, the car doesn't detect my key and won't unlock. I have to get the key out of the pocket and press the button on the keyfob. He proceeded and tell me he'll have me talk to the genious.

this is a computer/sensor issue not a genious issue. Sorry to say but when I took delivery of my car, I knew more about it than the genious and had to correct him on some feature.
Welcome to the automotive technology world. Most Service staff don't have a clue how the technology in these cars work.

Quote:
This is by design so someone can't just walk up to your car, get in, put the car in gear and drive off without the key being present. Additionally, even if you do have the key present, I think you have to select a profile and I believe it requires you to enter your profile password before you can put the car in gear. Otherwise, you have to shut it off and back on again to put the car in gear. The key fob or digital key have to be present in any case before you can drive off.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 01:57 AM   #3
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Welcome to the automotive technology world. Most Service staff don't have a clue how the technology in these cars work.

This is by design so someone can't just walk up to your car, get in, put the car in gear and drive off without the key being present. Additionally, even if you do have the key present, I think you have to select a profile and I believe it requires you to enter your profile password before you can put the car in gear. Otherwise, you have to shut it off and back on again to put the car in gear. The key fob or digital key have to be present in any case before you can drive off.
It's actually separate issue. The climatize feature is supposed to engage the engine and put everything on once you're in the car with the key and press the start stop button.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #4
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Actually, depending on how you have your profile setup, you do not need to enter your PIN/password when the car is remote started with your key fob or the BMWConnected app. In my case, I have my key fob matched to my profile with no PIN/password required (which is the most common setup for most drivers). When my car is remote started, after I get in the car, all I have to do is press my foot on the brake and press the start button - no PIN/password entry required. After I do that, the car goes into "normal start mode" where the radio will turn on and the steering wheel will move into the driving position. I put the car in gear, like normal, and just drive off.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Actually, depending on how you have your profile setup, you do not need to enter your PIN/password when the car is remote started with your key fob or the BMWConnected app. In my case, I have my key fob matched to my profile with no PIN/password required (which is the most common setup for most drivers). When my car is remote started, after I get in the car, all I have to do is press my foot on the brake and press the start button - no PIN/password entry required. After I do that, the car goes into "normal start mode" where the radio will turn on and the steering wheel will move into the driving position. I put the car in gear, like normal, and just drive off.
I have no pin and pw and has always been able to just press start/stop and then shift gear
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 11:53 AM   #6
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Actually, I should have been more clear. I was referring to remote start with the phone app. If you use the phone app to remote start the vehicle you can't just hop in, put your foot on the break, put it in gear and drive off. You can with the key fob because you have to be within the detection distance of the car in order to even use the remote start on the key fob.

I think the OP is having a different issue which I'm not clearly understanding.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      06-03-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

sorry, I was writing the post on my phone and was kind of in a hurry. Hopefully this will clear it up.

1. When I remotely start the climate from my phone, I've always been able to get in the car (keys in pocket) step on brakes, press the "start/stop" button and the car would fully power up and I can shift into gear. More than once now, performing the same process doesn't allow me to shift into gear. In my head, I'm thinking maybe I didn't press the start/stop button, so I press it again. It would just shut down the car.

2. I have the car set to unlock as I approach. It's pretty good most of the time but many many times it doesn't unlock. When this happens, you should be able to grab the handle, it should unlock the car. Well it doesn't. I did a test recently, after the car wouldn't unlock from the drive side, I go to the trunk to try to open it that way, when it doesn't I walk around to the passenger side with no luck either. Only way to unlock is to use the actual keyfob button. I think I mentioned this issue in another thread, some suggested that it could be other metal object in my pocket. Short answer is no, I don't carry any other key on the car key. It's not even on a chain. When it's in my pocket, it's usually just by itself or with my cash (no money clip).

Mentioned the two seperate issues with SA, he tried to tell me I have to touch a certain area of the handle. I told him no and I demonstrated to him that it woudl open by just reaching in. He starred at me like it was something he just learned.

I'm about to head out to pick up the car for service for other issues for the 5 time in 6 months if you include the 2+ month of lock down. So technically the car has been in the shop for a week each month since ownership.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 12:45 PM   #8
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
sorry, I was writing the post on my phone and was kind of in a hurry. Hopefully this will clear it up.

1. When I remotely start the climate from my phone, I've always been able to get in the car (keys in pocket) step on brakes, press the "start/stop" button and the car would fully power up and I can shift into gear. More than once now, performing the same process doesn't allow me to shift into gear. In my head, I'm thinking maybe I didn't press the start/stop button, so I press it again. It would just shut down the car.

2. I have the car set to unlock as I approach. It's pretty good most of the time but many many times it doesn't unlock. When this happens, you should be able to grab the handle, it should unlock the car. Well it doesn't. I did a test recently, after the car wouldn't unlock from the drive side, I go to the trunk to try to open it that way, when it doesn't I walk around to the passenger side with no luck either. Only way to unlock is to use the actual keyfob button. I think I mentioned this issue in another thread, some suggested that it could be other metal object in my pocket. Short answer is no, I don't carry any other key on the car key. It's not even on a chain. When it's in my pocket, it's usually just by itself or with my cash (no money clip).

Mentioned the two seperate issues with SA, he tried to tell me I have to touch a certain area of the handle. I told him no and I demonstrated to him that it woudl open by just reaching in. He starred at me like it was something he just learned.

I'm about to head out to pick up the car for service for other issues for the 5 time in 6 months if you include the 2+ month of lock down. So technically the car has been in the shop for a week each month since ownership.
Sounds like an intermittent transmitter or receiver issue with the Comfort Access (CA) system. If your problem is repeatable with both keys, then the issue is most likely with the CA system, otherwise one of your keys could be faulty and/or have a bad/low battery - one of the reasons the batteries in the key fobs are supposed to be replaced every 1 or 2 oil maintenance services (I can't remember the exact timing requirement - but you can check the maintenance/service manual).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 06:14 PM   #9
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Actually, I should have been more clear. I was referring to remote start with the phone app. If you use the phone app to remote start the vehicle you can't just hop in, put your foot on the break, put it in gear and drive off. You can with the key fob because you have to be within the detection distance of the car in order to even use the remote start on the key fob.

I think the OP is having a different issue which I'm not clearly understanding.
So I was curious about this and tried it. I remote started my X7 with the app, but I still did not need to put in a pin or password when I got in the X7. I have not looked too hard into this security feature, so there may be a security setting that I am missing, but I will speculate that because I have my key fob in my pocket, no pin or password is required if you remote start using the app as well. But who knows.... :

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 10:28 PM   #10
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So I was curious about this and tried it. I remote started my X7 with the app, but I still did not need to put in a pin or password when I got in the X7. I have not looked too hard into this security feature, so there may be a security setting that I am missing, but I will speculate that because I have my key fob in my pocket, no pin or password is required if you remote start using the app as well. But who knows.... :
I only tried this one time while I was in a restaurant getting ready to leave. Obviously, before Covid. When I got in the car with my key fob in my pocket and my wife's key fob in her purse, I put my foot on the brake and tried to put it in gear and it just sat there. It wouldn't go in gear. If I remember correctly I think I had to pick my profile before it would go into gear. Or maybe I just shut it off and started it again. It was way back in November when I tried it.

I should try checking it again since my last software update. Also, I should try leaving my key fob in the house and try to drive off without having my key fob with me. If it lets me drive off that is a SERIOUS problem. Hopefully, that's not the case.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 11:28 PM   #11
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

I've done both with the app as well pressing the lock button on the keys to start, neither case required a pin or anything. Wasn't even aware of this pin thing until you guys mentioned it here.

Also, the 2nd key is not in use, the tag never even came off of it as I'm the sole driver of the x7. However I have set it up with the wife's profile but it remained hung for the past 6 months.

So here's another scary thought. After picking up my car today, I decided to see what it would do if I press the start button without applying the brakes, the car shutdown. I have a thread here that reported about my brakes didn't engage after I put it into gear. I wonder if this is all related somehow.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:00 PM   #12
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I've done both with the app as well pressing the lock button on the keys to start, neither case required a pin or anything. Wasn't even aware of this pin thing until you guys mentioned it here.

Also, the 2nd key is not in use, the tag never even came off of it as I'm the sole driver of the x7. However I have set it up with the wife's profile but it remained hung for the past 6 months.

So here's another scary thought. After picking up my car today, I decided to see what it would do if I press the start button without applying the brakes, the car shutdown. I have a thread here that reported about my brakes didn't engage after I put it into gear. I wonder if this is all related somehow.
I just tested this again today.

I "Climatized" the vehicle using the android app. The car started. I walked out to the car with my key fob in my pocket. Car is set to unlock with the touch of the handle (Not upon approaching). I opened the driver's door by touching the handle and got in the driver's seat. The car was running. Initially, the screen gave me the "Key Not Present" message. Within a few seconds the car recognized my key fob and displayed my profile name on the screen.

Next, I applied the brake pedal and attempted to release the emergency brake and put it in gear. No Joy! I tried 3 times to put it in gear by pressing the brake pedal and releasing the emergency brake. Still no joy. The vehicle will NOT allow me to drive the car even though the car is running and recognizes my key fob and my profile. I had to shut the vehicle off, apply the brake, start the vehicle and then I could drive away.

Either this is a bug or it's intentional so that no matter who enters the car after "Climatizing" it can't be driven until the car is shut off and restarted with the key fob or digital key present.

I am on software version 03/2020.31
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:15 PM   #13
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Do you not need to enter the vehicle... then press the start button with foot on the brake (even though it is running) and then select drive and drive away?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 11:40 PM   #14
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I just tested this again today.

I "Climatized" the vehicle using the android app. The car started. I walked out to the car with my key fob in my pocket. Car is set to unlock with the touch of the handle (Not upon approaching). I opened the driver's door by touching the handle and got in the driver's seat. The car was running. Initially, the screen gave me the "Key Not Present" message. Within a few seconds the car recognized my key fob and displayed my profile name on the screen.

Next, I applied the brake pedal and attempted to release the emergency brake and put it in gear. No Joy! I tried 3 times to put it in gear by pressing the brake pedal and releasing the emergency brake. Still no joy. The vehicle will NOT allow me to drive the car even though the car is running and recognizes my key fob and my profile. I had to shut the vehicle off, apply the brake, start the vehicle and then I could drive away.

Either this is a bug or it's intentional so that no matter who enters the car after "Climatizing" it can't be driven until the car is shut off and restarted with the key fob or digital key present.

I am on software version 03/2020.31
This is exactly what I experienced I'm on the latest software.

Btw: mine doesn't say key not detected, it just doesn't shift into gear until I shutdown and crank back up.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 01:42 AM   #15
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This is exactly what I experienced I'm on the latest software.

Btw: mine doesn't say key not detected, it just doesn't shift into gear until I shutdown and crank back up.
Exactly. I did the same thing when I was on iStep version 07/2019.59. Only on the older iStep version I didn't get the "Key Not Detected" message. Probably because it was several minutes vice seconds before I entered the vehicle.

I think when I did it yesterday it was just a time delay. It was only about 20 seconds from the time the vehicle remote started and I got into the car. It was less than two seconds after I got in the car and got the "Key Not Detected" message and when it came back up and recognized my key fob and my profile. I believe it was just another software glitch with the "Key Not Detected" message.

Frankly, none of these issues surprises me. This has always been the nature of technology whether it be computers, cell phones, audio/video electronics, etc. Being in the technology industry for the last 30 years has prepared me to always expect glitches with both hardware and software.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 02:25 AM   #16
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Exactly. I did the same thing when I was on iStep version 07/2019.59. Only on the older iStep version I didn't get the "Key Not Detected" message. Probably because it was several minutes vice seconds before I entered the vehicle.

I think when I did it yesterday it was just a time delay. It was only about 20 seconds from the time the vehicle remote started and I got into the car. It was less than two seconds after I got in the car and got the "Key Not Detected" message and when it came back up and recognized my key fob and my profile. I believe it was just another software glitch with the "Key Not Detected" message.

Frankly, none of these issues surprises me. This has always been the nature of technology whether it be computers, cell phones, audio/video electronics, etc. Being in the technology industry for the last 30 years has prepared me to always expect glitches with both hardware and software.
Remote start is nothing new, I have it on all my past 3 vehicles. Is yours a 2019?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 06:56 AM   #17
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
There is something missing from your vehicle entry process based on what you both stated. When you remote start the vehicle, before you can drive off (or even put it in drive or release the parking brake, etc) you need to place your foot on the brake AND press the engine start button first. Once that step is complete, the car will be ready to drive off. Based on what you stated, you are missing the step where you press the engine start button.

In my X7, when I get into the car after a remote start, there is a message in the dash that states I need to press the brake pedal and engine start button as well. Once I do this, the steering wheel moves into the normal drive position and my radio turns on (among other things that indicate the car is ready to drive after a remote start). I am on I-step 11/2019.50 if it matters (but I don't think so).

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 01:05 PM   #18
cheapie408
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There is something missing from your vehicle entry process based on what you both stated. When you remote start the vehicle, before you can drive off (or even put it in drive or release the parking brake, etc) you need to place your foot on the brake AND press the engine start button first. Once that step is complete, the car will be ready to drive off. Based on what you stated, you are missing the step where you press the engine start button.

In my X7, when I get into the car after a remote start, there is a message in the dash that states I need to press the brake pedal and engine start button as well. Once I do this, the steering wheel moves into the normal drive position and my radio turns on (among other things that indicate the car is ready to drive after a remote start). I am on I-step 11/2019.50 if it matters (but I don't think so).
I think you missed the part when I said this is my normal procedure. I only "DID NOT" apply the brakes to see what it would do.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 07:26 PM   #19
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I tested this again today. I found the problem.

This is another "Glitch" with technology. I can remote start the car as well as drive and unlock the car using my key fob. Plus, I can lock/unlock the vehicle from 30 feet or more away from the vehicle using my key fob. Yet, I cannot get into the vehicle after remote starting from my Android App without getting the "Key Not Detected" message until about 2 seconds AFTER I get in the vehicle.

The solution was changing the key fob battery. All is well after changing the key fob battery and now it works as Jmciver described.

This is what I describe as one of technologies major flaws. Most things work but some things don't. Yet there are no “clear” indications as to why some things work but some do not. Neither the key fob nor the vehicle offer any indication that the key fob battery is low.

Such a simple and easy thing to remedy. Yet BMW, nor any of the other automakers that I'm aware of, tell you when the key fob battery is low.

How hard would it be to put a tiny LED in the key fob that would start flashing red when the battery gets low. Instead we have to figure it out for ourselves or just plan on changing the key fob battery on a regular basis like every 4 to 6 months.

Typical technology blunders...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 07:42 PM   #20
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
At least replacing the key fob battery is part of the included maintenance, and now we have a god idea why it is included....

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 10:05 PM   #21
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
At least replacing the key fob battery is part of the included maintenance, and now we have a god idea why it is included....
LOL...My point is this: Why not adopt a simple solution for a simple problem instead of complicating the simple solution by "Hiding" it and requiring a "troubleshooting process" (Change the key fob battery and see if that fixes it) which complicates an already complicated and technically advanced vehicle.

Perhaps this is intentional on BMW's part. When issues arise that are related to the key fob most users/owners won't have a clue that the problem is related to the key fob or the battery in the key fob. Therefore, the average person will just schedule a visit to the dealership and pay them to diagnose and fix the problem for them. KAA Ching!!! More money for the dealership and BMW. Especially after the regular free maintenance ends.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 05:50 AM   #22
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
LOL...My point is this: Why not adopt a simple solution for a simple problem instead of complicating the simple solution by "Hiding" it and requiring a "troubleshooting process" (Change the key fob battery and see if that fixes it) which complicates an already complicated and technically advanced vehicle.

Perhaps this is intentional on BMW's part. When issues arise that are related to the key fob most users/owners won't have a clue that the problem is related to the key fob or the battery in the key fob. Therefore, the average person will just schedule a visit to the dealership and pay them to diagnose and fix the problem for them. KAA Ching!!! More money for the dealership and BMW. Especially after the regular free maintenance ends.
I jest as I agree . In this case, I bet this was just an unexpected oversight on BMW's part. Despite all the testing manufactures do before release of a product, some issues only arise after it is released to the masses. The hope is that when issues come up, a good fix will be applied - which does happen sometimes. But I will never hold my breath....

Appreciate 0