BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW X8M Model Name Trademarked Today

04-15-2020, 09:40 PM   #111
khailuan
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW IX40 Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
The disinterest is in the nomenclature:
X - Another big boxy suv, among the multitudes already available from every manufacturer
8 - Will carry a price tag that many people won't want to pay
M - Will likely be capable of generating 975 hp at 2000 rpm, but due to the two preceding letters, it's relegated to being a mere curiosity instead of a real world interest.
So BMW wants to test a market that doesn't seem to make sense to you. Fair enough. I guess we'll have to wait to find out if it's going to work out or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 08:47 AM   #112
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
Oh. So basically a BMW version of the Tesla Model X?
Until BMW brings out the iNext they will have absolutely nothing even close.

And as far as iNext competeing with Model X performance, we'll have to wait and see.
You know, a new thought came to mind. Could it be that the x6 will be discontinued after this current generation run and BMW intends to call the next generation version the x8? I mean, that's what they did with the 6 series. Killed the 6 and replaced it with the 8 which is basically the same car with a higher price.
      04-16-2020, 09:42 AM   #113
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And as far as iNext competeing with Model X performance, we'll have to wait and see.
You know, a new thought came to mind. Could it be that the x6 will be discontinued after this current generation run and BMW intends to call the next generation version the x8? I mean, that's what they did with the 6 series. Killed the 6 and replaced it with the 8 which is basically the same car with a higher price.
I doubt it. The X6 actually sells compared to the 6 coupe and vert which did poorly in its second iteration. The X6 is just an X5 with a different design on the outside, but BMW always tried to make the 6 coupe/vert more than just a 5-series with two doors, especially when they priced it closer to that of a 7, and tried differentiating the interior more from the other models in the lineup, that likely didn't help though with sales.
///M TOWN13117.00
      04-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #114
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I doubt it. The X6 actually sells compared to the 6 coupe and vert which did poorly in its second iteration. The X6 is just an X5 with a different design on the outside, but BMW always tried to make the 6 coupe/vert more than just a 5-series with two doors, especially when they priced it closer to that of a 7, and tried differentiating the interior more from the other models in the lineup, that likely didn't help though with sales.
Your thoughts make sense. As a repeat x6 owner myself, I see a few of them on the road so they seem to move relative to the number of them that are produced. I just thought maybe the x8 would be BMW's way to try and squeeze more money out of people like me who buy the x6. I guess we will have to wait and see what this new x8 ends up being in production form.
      04-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #115
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Your thoughts make sense. As a repeat x6 owner myself, I see a few of them on the road so they seem to move relative to the number of them that are produced. I just thought maybe the x8 would be BMW's way to try and squeeze more money out of people like me who buy the x6. I guess we will have to wait and see what this new x8 ends up being in production form.
You are definitely right about one thing, it is BMW's way of squeezing out more money from customers The Bavarians just keep on finding niche after niche and feel they just have to fill all of them.
      04-17-2020, 07:04 AM   #116
DgjoX6M2016
F86, G05, E91
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by khailuan View Post
Unbelievable... The most common reaction here after learning that BMW might produce a new M model is bitching. The worst part is that they haven't even seen a sketch of it let alone a concept. Hating something without even seeing it first... that's a new low. Take an effin business class people. Car companies like BMW need to expand their product lines, pierce new markets (or create new ones) in order to attract a new clientele if they want to maintain growth and keep that top position among luxury car makers.
I agree with you! Setting aside the M performance v M conversation/confusion, M vehicle philosophy can, should, and is permeating all of their vehicle lines. Some variants will last, some won't. I guess it started with the OG 4 door M3. I'm a SUV guy, as is quite a bit of the US market, so I love my F86. Ride height, winter usage, some cargo capacity, and ease of access, are all important to me in a daily driver. And I challenge anyone to convince me it's not worthy of M status with its overall dynamics. If they make a XM8 or 7 I bet they extract crazy performance and the debate will rage on! I do think they have to be careful about diluting too much, but they will be watching sales and numbers carefully and adjust as necessary. I work for a Munich based company, so trust me this is all well thought out. My two cents.
Appreciate 1
khailuan110.50
      04-17-2020, 07:55 AM   #117
ruimpinho
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI, W221, Model S, 987S

Isn't the X6 big enough already? Where is the X8 supposed to sit on the lineup?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 12:39 PM   #118
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Another moving brink wall, by BMW ///M.

04-20-2020, 12:39 PM   #119
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmag View Post
He means that rather than an X6-like design, the design of X8 will be similar to the X2 design but of course on a bigger scale.

BTW, ALL 3 drive-trains on the X8 will be plug-in hybrids. As has already been said, base model will be M45e.
Middle model, M50e will have same PHEV drivetrain as upcoming G70 7 series M750e.
Top model X8 M will have new S68 V8 (which is a thoroughly reworked S63 V8) coupled with an electric motor.
This is the best post from 6 pages full of nonsense presumptions!
Appreciate 0