BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Longest Trip

04-24-2020, 04:18 PM   #1
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Longest Trip

I'm about to take a 5hr trip. This would be my longest trip in my x7. Those who have driven their x7 on a long trip, do you have any suggestions on settings for a long drive?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #2
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

we do lots of road trips and basically utilize most of the features; customize your settings for your own comfort. we utilize Adaptive for drive settings; X7 is an awesome car for road trips; use driver assist on highways; it will ease some of the driving tensions, that is if you're driving long; it is a good opportunity for you to experiment the features and find the best settings for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 07:34 PM   #3
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
I'm about to take a 5hr trip. This would be my longest trip in my x7. Those who have driven their x7 on a long trip, do you have any suggestions on settings for a long drive?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post

Thanks
We've done 700 mile 1 day stints.

Use the adaptive cruise control as much as possible and turn on the seat massager and you'll be good.

You can cruise 90 plus no problem
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 08:37 PM   #4
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #5
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Here's some thoughts from a trip I did from the east coast to CO. Have fun!

First impressions of my X7 M50i after a 1,600-mile road trip https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1703934
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 03:30 PM   #6
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

We have a place in the mountains in spend a great deal of time going back and forth. Put in several hours of seat time on ours despite only owning it for a short period. My complaints with the vehicle is that it is too muted and needs more bark on WOT. Having vehicle that has decent punch but no audible feedback is like having a sexual partner that is silent in bed. It's fun but not as great as it could be. The other complaint I have is that the massage seats are pretty weak but that being said any other vehicle I own(ed) with this feature never had any real feel to it and lastly with the Captain's chairs the rear leg room is not as big as it should or could be. The pros are ample cargo capacity (we do not use third row), intuitive tech and adequate Driver comfort. There hasn't been a time where I felt that this vehicle needed to be more accommodating or comfortable outside of the massage function. The various settings for suspension provide optimal comfort for car sick passengers and borders on Range Rover level of subtlety over bumps and potholes. I do not think you will have any issue or concern on your road trip. Fill up with 93, throw in some high flow intake filters for slightly improved engine note and enjoy the ride.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
We have a place in the mountains in spend a great deal of time going back and forth. Put in several hours of seat time on ours despite only owning it for a short period. My complaints with the vehicle is that it is too muted and needs more bark on WOT. Having vehicle that has decent punch but no audible feedback is like having a sexual partner that is silent in bed. It's fun but not as great as it could be. The other complaint I have is that the massage seats are pretty weak but that being said any other vehicle I own(ed) with this feature never had any real feel to it and lastly with the Captain's chairs the rear leg room is not as big as it should or could be. The pros are ample cargo capacity (we do not use third row), intuitive tech and adequate Driver comfort. There hasn't been a time where I felt that this vehicle needed to be more accommodating or comfortable outside of the massage function. The various settings for suspension provide optimal comfort for car sick passengers and borders on Range Rover level of subtlety over bumps and potholes. I do not think you will have any issue or concern on your road trip. Fill up with 93, throw in some high flow intake filters for slightly improved engine note and enjoy the ride.
I agree, the massage seats could be a little more aggressive ... first world problems. For me the V8 produces a nice output, but still is quiet cruising on the highway.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      04-27-2020, 05:48 PM   #8
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

In both formats it is muted considering it is an "M-Sport" / "M-Performance" product. A little more grunt and bark would go a long way.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 11:36 PM   #9
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
You mean is muted, do you have 40i?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 08:05 AM   #10
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I do not have the 40i. The eight cylinder motor in this vehicle sounds quiet for it's size and for what it is supposed to be. I am not sure if that is because of the dual pane glass or whatever else in-between but it is rather quiet compared to other V8 or M products I have owned.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 04:56 PM   #11
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
I do not have the 40i. The eight cylinder motor in this vehicle sounds quiet for it's size and for what it is supposed to be. I am not sure if that is because of the dual pane glass or whatever else in-between but it is rather quiet compared to other V8 or M products I have owned.
You could get one of these to help open it up a bit as far as the exhaust note is concerned....

https://www.cgprecision.com/#!/VSC-2...tegory=8896209

I have this for my M3 and sounds great, not too loud but louder and a bit beefier sounding than the stock exhaust note. And if necessary, you can return it to the "stock" sound at the push of a button. I promised myself I would not think about mods like this for my X7, but the mod bug is so hard to resist...

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 07:57 PM   #12
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I think you can do the same for free by rigging the valve open all the time. I only want it to be louder on highway acceleration or WOT.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 11:22 PM   #13
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
I think you can do the same for free by rigging the valve open all the time. I only want it to be louder on highway acceleration or WOT.
Yeah, I saw that method discussed when looking for a solution for my M3. I didn't like it since it was not a very "clean" method IMHO. Unplugging the valves and putting electrical tape on the harness connectors (still being exposed to the elements) would not make my OCD happy... If I did it on the X7, I would either use the valve controller method above or do it via tuning (like with BM3)....

As far as loudness goes, while the M3 exhaust is clearly different than the X7, what you described is what I like about this mod. At idle, the M3 exhaust is not really that much louder (but does rumble a bit deeper). But it is louder when accelerating or at WOT.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      04-29-2020, 08:47 AM   #14
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Same, not a fan of these DIY "mods"... A long time ago back in the B7 RS4 days guys were plugging the vacuum lines for the exhaust valves with golf tees. I preferred to purchase a proper exhaust that made the vehicle have a soundtrack more appropriate for what it is and was designed to do.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      04-29-2020, 12:43 PM   #15
MarkH62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, 750Li

We do lots of long trips (23k miles in just under a year). I didn't get the advanced cruise control option, and won't use lane keep assist, so I can't comment on those. We make heavy use of the massage functions, and seat ventilation. Other than that, just put some good music on and drive. The car just wants to go, whether its highway, mountains, or anything in between. I've done 10 - 11 hour drives and felt better afterwards than in other vehicles for 7 hours.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:06 PM   #16
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH62 View Post
We do lots of long trips (23k miles in just under a year). I didn't get the advanced cruise control option, and won't use lane keep assist, so I can't comment on those. We make heavy use of the massage functions, and seat ventilation. Other than that, just put some good music on and drive. The car just wants to go, whether its highway, mountains, or anything in between. I've done 10 - 11 hour drives and felt better afterwards than in other vehicles for 7 hours.
Have any of you taken the x7 40i on long distance trips? How is it when it comes to passing power?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:28 PM   #17
mcarter0519
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH62 View Post
Have any of you taken the x7 40i on long distance trips? How is it when it comes to passing power?
We just took delivery of a 40i and took it from Atlanta to Orlando the next day. This is a 6:30-7 hour trip with kids. I was excited to see how she did on the open road for an extended period of time. I can honestly say that there is pleanty of passing power in the 40i. Also, like others have said, the driving assistance on this car makes Highway and traffic so much more bearable. Use the ACC and active drive asst and relax. And we love the multi-function seats. We are very happy with this vehicle.
Appreciate 0