BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Software 03/2021.50 released OTA for USA

06-18-2021, 10:48 PM   #1
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Software 03/2021.50 released OTA for USA

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
This software has been out for other markets and from the factory for several weeks. Just showed up OTA for USA.

Mine's currently stuck at 0% Preparing for installation, but not concerned. Maybe having something to do with trying to install from new MyBMW app.

And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 11:34 PM   #2
Cocogrey1985
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I've had this update for a couple weeks now…I haven't noticed anything different with it. Is it mostly just the Alexa stuff that gets added?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 12:10 AM   #3
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

How do you access the Alexa stuff? My dealer updated mine to 03/2021.57 this past week when it was in the shop for bass loss issue. I didn't see anything for alexa when I poked around it yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 12:27 AM   #4
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

welp, time to break out the enet cable and code everything back to normal, starting with murderkilling active sound design the heartbeat this update shows up
      06-19-2021, 12:27 AM   #5
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
This software has been out for other markets and from the factory for several weeks. Just showed up OTA for USA.

Mine's currently stuck at 0% Preparing for installation, but not concerned. Maybe having something to do with trying to install from new MyBMW app.
I've seen this situation before from many other posters regarding OTA updates. Often, it will never finish the download and start the update until the car has been driven for an hour or more or until the battery is charged to a sufficient level before starting the update.

I've also seen this on my 2020 X7 but it's very short lived since I put about 300 miles a week or more on my car. However the time period from first notification to being able to actually start the update process is less than a day. Most likely due to the fact that I drive my car around 1400 miles per month so the battery is always close to being fully charged. I drive it almost every day.

The longest my car has sat without being driven is 3 days.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 01:14 AM   #6
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
How do you access the Alexa stuff? My dealer updated mine to 03/2021.57 this past week when it was in the shop for bass loss issue. I didn't see anything for alexa when I poked around it yesterday.
Go to the MyBMW app. Select the Profile tab (human silhouette) in the bottom right of the app. Configured under "3rd Party Services"
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 01:17 AM   #7
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I've seen this situation before from many other posters regarding OTA updates. Often, it will never finish the download and start the update until the car has been driven for an hour or more or until the battery is charged to a sufficient level before starting the update.

I've also seen this on my 2020 X7 but it's very short lived since I put about 300 miles a week or more on my car. However the time period from first notification to being able to actually start the update process is less than a day. Most likely due to the fact that I drive my car around 1400 miles per month so the battery is always close to being fully charged. I drive it almost every day.

The longest my car has sat without being driven is 3 days.
Mine is stuck on the same state. I hope my road trip tomorrow fixes the issue
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 02:08 AM   #8
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatious View Post
Mine is stuck on the same state. I hope my road trip tomorrow fixes the issue
How often do you drive it and how long does it sit between drives?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:11 AM   #9
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How often do you drive it and how long does it sit between drives?
I drive for an hour yesterday, still at 0%
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 12:45 PM   #10
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Go to the MyBMW app. Select the Profile tab (human silhouette) in the bottom right of the app. Configured under "3rd Party Services"
Already did that. It still doesn't work. It shows the blue alexa circle when I say alexa, but then it exits almost immediately and says "please finish setting up alexa before use"
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 02:23 PM   #11
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I drive for an hour yesterday, still at 0%
An hour might not be enough if the car sits for several days or if the car is only driven a few miles per day. I've heard of some people having to drive around for several hours.

Additionally, you might need to finish the download on your phone over WiFi first. Does the app on your phone tell you that it has finished the download? The update has to be download to the phone first before it will upload to the car. By default the app is set to download over WiFi only. You can change those settings under Remote Software Upgrade\Download settings on the app.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 04:02 PM   #12
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
An hour might not be enough if the car sits for several days or if the car is only driven a few miles per day. I've heard of some people having to drive around for several hours.

Additionally, you might need to finish the download on your phone over WiFi first. Does the app on your phone tell you that it has finished the download? The update has to be download to the phone first before it will upload to the car. By default the app is set to download over WiFi only. You can change those settings under Remote Software Upgrade\Download settings on the app.
This…. While the system is designed to be completely OTA (i.e. no need to use your phone), it has been buggy at best. My OTA experience has been that the download portion works best when downloading the update to your phone first via wifi in your house (or any wifi access point). The the upload from the phone to your car goes pretty quick….

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 07:26 PM   #13
rich5741
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive40i

I may be dense, I don't see the download to phone option anymore. Using the new myBMW app.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 01:58 AM   #14
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

There is no download option like rich’s post above. I drove for 8 hours and 400 miles today and still at 0% now
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 02:03 AM   #15
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There is no download option like rich’s post above. I drove for 8 hours and 400 miles today and still at 0% now
What does it say on your phone app?

Maybe this SIB will solve it. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...86211-9999.pdf.

Last edited by mitch57; 06-20-2021 at 02:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 02:11 AM   #16
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What does it say on your phone app?
Just as it says on this post https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=13

No option to download and no download settings accessible
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 02:18 AM   #17
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Already did that. It still doesn't work. It shows the blue alexa circle when I say alexa, but then it exits almost immediately and says "please finish setting up alexa before use"
Hmmmm... sorry, I don't know from there. I saw instructions somewhere that Alexa is enabled/setup through the MyBMW app. Since I don't use Alexa, I can't say if there's anything past that point.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
This…. While the system is designed to be completely OTA (i.e. no need to use your phone), it has been buggy at best. My OTA experience has been that the download portion works best when downloading the update to your phone first via wifi in your house (or any wifi access point). The the upload from the phone to your car goes pretty quick….
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich5741 View Post
I may be dense, I don't see the download to phone option anymore. Using the new myBMW app.
My MyBMW screen looks exactly like Rich5741's above, saying in orange that there's an upgrade. But you can't select it, choose it, or swipe it in any way. Just says there's an upgrade.

My "preparing" is still stuck at 0%. Still not worried yet.

I drove 5+ hours, and 250 miles today. Starting another road trip I'll put in my big road trip thread. Now, I stopped quite a bit along the way to do pictures, and a good portion of that drive was out of cell phone coverage area, so maybe that affected the process for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 02:33 AM   #18
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

thenew3 there's a thread in the X5/X6 forum about Alexa integration. Some there are also struggling.
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1782724
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 04:43 AM   #19
rich5741
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hmmmm... sorry, I don't know from there. I saw instructions somewhere that Alexa is enabled/setup through the MyBMW app. Since I don't use Alexa, I can't say if there's anything past that point.

My MyBMW screen looks exactly like Rich5741's above, saying in orange that there's an upgrade. But you can't select it, choose it, or swipe it in any way. Just says there's an upgrade.

My "preparing" is still stuck at 0%. Still not worried yet.

I drove 5+ hours, and 250 miles today. Starting another road trip I'll put in my big road trip thread. Now, I stopped quite a bit along the way to do pictures, and a good portion of that drive was out of cell phone coverage area, so maybe that affected the process for me.
Mine actually went to 100% during a half hour drive shortly after I posted the above, and I was able to successfully perform the update. I did not do anything to the app or the phone, but on the phone it said something to the effect of “transferred to car” so the implication is the phone automatically downloaded and transferred it to the car.

I had to re-login to myBMW last night before the update, maybe that will help you guys (e.g. log out and log back in)? Also, my phone is set up in the car to allow link to BMW apps - when connected to the car, all three items in the image below show as connected (right now unconnected since I am not in the car).
Attached Images

Last edited by rich5741; 06-20-2021 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 05:46 AM   #20
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Seems like BMW may have "updated" how this process works with phone integration. I distinctly remember a section in the old app that allowed you to check for updates and then download the update directly to your phone (either via WiFi or cell data). Then later transfer the update from your phone to the car. Once uploaded to the car, you then had the option for when you wanted to install the update. FWIW, I went looking for the "Update" option in the old app and could not find it now - removed by BMW in preps for the new app : ??

My drive to work is barely 5 min and the upload process (or preparing process that the car tells you) from the phone to the car took less than 10 min (two separate trips for me) for the upload to complete AFTER I successfully downloaded the update to my phone at home on WiFi with the old app. So I will speculate that BMW may have attempted to make this process more seemless with less interaction from the vehicle owner - but it does not appear to be working out that way, at least for some.

I am on a road trip now and have been checking periodically for this new update but have not seen it yet - in the X7 or on my phone. But the idea of needing to log out and log back in again for these "new" process changes to take effect does not surprise me….

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 08:02 AM   #21
rich5741
Second Lieutenant
Rep

After I updated, the Services Screen now says "Update Successfully Installed" and it now allows me to select it, and from there I can turn on/off the automatic download and whether the download happens only on wifi.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 10:34 AM   #22
Hejusnice
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
In the BMW..you may have to finish set-up here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0