BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Soft Close Door Broke

01-01-2024, 05:53 PM   #1
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Soft Close Door Broke

The left rear door no longer soft closes...just noticed the other day.
All the other doors are fine.

Has anyone else experienced this. Will be taking it in this week.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 07:45 PM   #2
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
The left rear door no longer soft closes...just noticed the other day.
All the other doors are fine.

Has anyone else experienced this. Will be taking it in this week.
Had this problem in my old X5, had to replace door actuator.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 02:17 PM   #3
Saejin
Captain
Rep

haha...dropped off at dealer today and got a laundry list of stuff to handle.
Keep in mind this is a 2023 X7 M60i bought in Nov of 2022 and has only 25,000 miles on it.

- soft close - they are replacing door actuator...what I brought it in for
- coolant leak - on the multi-point inspection found a leak and they are replacing water pump
- leveling - they found a code and are researching
- headlamp alignment - they found a code and are researching
- rear tires - the rear tires are down to safety minimum 3/32 and they want to replace - $1350 for run-flat Alenzas plus they highly recommend an alignment for $260 (gonna pass on that...he went on about ride height with the new tread changing and causing issues)

Couple of comments and questions:
- if this was out of warranty, it be a big bill for door, water pump, and headlamp...so if you're thinking of extended warranty might be a good idea...labor at this dealership is around $200 an hour
- front tires are like 5 or 6/32s...would you replace just the rears or all 4 at this time

or

would you leave tires as is and trade this in. I've already had a list of issue below:
- drive assist/camera malfunction...kept dropping out of cruise control
- emergency call malfunction...replace TCB module
- rear seats would not lock...they replaced entire rear seat frame

At this point I could drop $2500 to replace all 4 tires and drive it for another 20,000 miles and see how it does and then trade in if there are more issues...that would take me to the summer of 2025.
Or I could just trade it in between now and this summer. We've already been thinking of dropping down to an X5 or the new Lexus GX 550+.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 02:20 PM   #4
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Dang, after 2 years I just remembered I had this feature
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 02:28 PM   #5
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutob2 View Post
Dang, after 2 years I just remembered I had this feature
It might be broke, so don't get your hopes up.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 09:16 AM   #6
Dvijeshg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Garage List
I bought my 2023 X7 M60i in January of 2023. In less than 6 days, my front passenger door soft close wasn’t working. I took it back to the dealer and they quoted me $700 for a new mechanism actuator and labor. Keep in mind I didn’t even have my Plates yet! Luckily they replaced it under warranty for free. Now, almost a year later the driver soft close isn’t working. It failed back in October but I haven’t had time to take it in. The third row sunroof cover doesn’t close either. Car has 14,500 miles as of now. I had my 2021 X7 40i until I traded it in for this car. The 2 years I had owned that car was far better than this.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 11:55 AM   #7
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvijeshg View Post
I bought my 2023 X7 M60i in January of 2023. In less than 6 days, my front passenger door soft close wasn’t working. I took it back to the dealer and they quoted me $700 for a new mechanism actuator and labor. Keep in mind I didn’t even have my Plates yet! Luckily they replaced it under warranty for free. Now, almost a year later the driver soft close isn’t working. It failed back in October but I haven’t had time to take it in. The third row sunroof cover doesn’t close either. Car has 14,500 miles as of now. I had my 2021 X7 40i until I traded it in for this car. The 2 years I had owned that car was far better than this.
That's another concern of mine...as these things break, could be due to wear and tear which the dealer may or may not cover under warranty. When the 3rd row seat stopped locking, that was my first thought...they would say it broke due to a fault of mine and I would have to pay.
Same for the soft-close...could have said I slammed the door and broke it...I didn't, as we've told everyone who gets it to lightly close the door since we have soft-close.

Either way, starting to have second thoughts on keeping this past the summer. Luckily we have a dealer that's been very good. Sewell BMW of Plano is pretty awesome from a service perspective.

My 2019 BMW X3 M40i has been flawless since 2018, has about 30,000 miles.
My 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon has been near flawless, but I also got a lifetime warranty on it before Mopar discontinued it. It has 50,000 miles on it now.

Decided we're gonna pass on the tires and take a look at a few other vehicles in the coming months. If something makes sense for us, we'll trade out for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 01:23 PM   #8
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
haha...dropped off at dealer today and got a laundry list of stuff to handle.
Keep in mind this is a 2023 X7 M60i bought in Nov of 2022 and has only 25,000 miles on it.

- soft close - they are replacing door actuator...what I brought it in for
- coolant leak - on the multi-point inspection found a leak and they are replacing water pump
- leveling - they found a code and are researching
- headlamp alignment - they found a code and are researching
- rear tires - the rear tires are down to safety minimum 3/32 and they want to replace - $1350 for run-flat Alenzas plus they highly recommend an alignment for $260 (gonna pass on that...he went on about ride height with the new tread changing and causing issues)

Couple of comments and questions:
- if this was out of warranty, it be a big bill for door, water pump, and headlamp...so if you're thinking of extended warranty might be a good idea...labor at this dealership is around $200 an hour
- front tires are like 5 or 6/32s...would you replace just the rears or all 4 at this time

or

would you leave tires as is and trade this in. I've already had a list of issue below:
- drive assist/camera malfunction...kept dropping out of cruise control
- emergency call malfunction...replace TCB module
- rear seats would not lock...they replaced entire rear seat frame

At this point I could drop $2500 to replace all 4 tires and drive it for another 20,000 miles and see how it does and then trade in if there are more issues...that would take me to the summer of 2025.
Or I could just trade it in between now and this summer. We've already been thinking of dropping down to an X5 or the new Lexus GX 550+.

Thoughts?
If it were me, I'd probably change all four tires to the Continental DWS06+ all seasons and drive it through the winter. Then shop around in the spring.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 02:03 PM   #9
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Update - got my X7 back the other day. All was fixed, no issues. Passed on the tires/alignment and the SA didn't even blink an eye even though he said it was a safety issue, which I'm sure it is, so will be getting tires replaced if we don't trade out here in a few months.

At a glance, to repair the soft close it was about $500. All the other items were taken care of previously, but for some reason showed up in their system though. When you check in at Plano BMW, they run a quick scan right in the dropoff lane, so they can tee up/discuss any codes they find.

Overall, for all the warranty repairs I have needed I'm in the $7500 range now if I had to pay out of pocket. As this vehicle ages, can't imagine what else may break. I know some X7's are hitting high mileage with no issues, but for the most part those are pre-LCI models. Not in anyway saying LCI version is problematic, we just don't have very good data yet.
Appreciate 0