BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum How comfortable is the suspension?

04-10-2024, 07:07 AM   #1
AndreiPopescu
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 F16 2016

Garage List
How comfortable is the suspension?

I'm reaching out to fellow XM owners to ask about the ride quality of the suspension system. Recently, I placed a reservation for a BMW XM equipped with 22" rims. However, I find myself in a predicament as I am unfamiliar with the suspension setup, compounded by the unavailability of test drives. Given my mild back issues, I'm particularly concerned about the comfort level the XM's suspension will provide. Unfortunately, it seems I'll only get to gauge its performance post-purchase, making it a bit of an uncertain venture. Any imput would help! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 08:09 AM   #2
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

I ordered mine with the 22” wheels. To me, it is about on par, in Sport mode, with my Cayenne with Air Suspension in Sport mode. I have been fine with the “down grade” from air to steel springs. That said, I have found suspension comfort to be as variable as seat comfort to an individual, what I find to be preferrable may be uncomfortable for someone else.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2024, 11:39 AM   #3
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPopescu View Post
I'm reaching out to fellow XM owners to ask about the ride quality of the suspension system. Recently, I placed a reservation for a BMW XM equipped with 22" rims. However, I find myself in a predicament as I am unfamiliar with the suspension setup, compounded by the unavailability of test drives. Given my mild back issues, I'm particularly concerned about the comfort level the XM's suspension will provide. Unfortunately, it seems I'll only get to gauge its performance post-purchase, making it a bit of an uncertain venture. Any imput would help! Thanks.
Would help to hear what you have driven in and how that suspension feels. Maybe someone here with an XM will be able to compare to what you have driven.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 02:03 PM   #4
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
I've driven, and owned, a variety of BMWs and other cars that have had varying levels of suspension - from the latest generation Range Rover (very soft ride, very boring to drive), Alpina XB7 (perfect balance IMHO) to the X6MC and 911 C4GTS (very firm, very fun).

My XM is on 23s and I'd put it *slightly* more compliant than the X6MC.

Drive an X5MC or X6MC in Comfort mode - if you can live with that, the XM will be better. If you can't...

I fully agree with @TXSchnee - suspension is a very individual thing. However, I had the same concerns you did - and the XM is perfect for me.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2024, 03:02 PM   #5
AndreiPopescu
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XM Label View Post
Would help to hear what you have driven in and how that suspension feels. Maybe someone here with an XM will be able to compare to what you have driven.
I'm currently driving a BMW X6 F16 with 19" rims so a pretty big side wall (127.5mm compared to the XM's 110mm) with adaptive hybrid coil suspension at the front and air suspension at the rear. For me its good, but in sport it does get pretty rough especially on the less than good roads in Romania. Also a 2021 530e with adaptive coil suspension and 18" rims (110mm sidewall) but its not comparable since its a sedan, the suspension is floaty and very nice.
If the XM in comfort is like my X6 in sport, I could allow that. More than that and it really becomes an issue not only for comfort but for performance as well. stiff suspension is good when you have a proper roads but for me thats not the case.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 06:02 PM   #6
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
I'm currently driving a BMW X6 F16 with 19" rims so a pretty big side wall (127.5mm compared to the XM's 110mm) with adaptive hybrid coil suspension at the front and air suspension at the rear. For me its good, but in sport it does get pretty rough especially on the less than good roads in Romania. Also a 2021 530e with adaptive coil suspension and 18" rims (110mm sidewall) but its not comparable since its a sedan, the suspension is floaty and very nice.
If the XM in comfort is like my X6 in sport, I could allow that. More than that and it really becomes an issue not only for comfort but for performance as well. stiff suspension is good when you have a proper roads but for me thats not the case.

This will certainly be firmer than your X6. I know dealers don't always have XMs you can try, but does yours have an X6M Competition or an X5M Competition? Compare it to that. That's the worst case, and the XM is *slightly* better.

With the sidewalls and air suspension on your current car - this will be noticeably firmer.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 07:45 PM   #7
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

I had a BMW X5 M50i with 22” wheels a couple of years ago and the XM is considerable stiffer than that. I’d argue that even in Sport the X5 was softer than Comfort in the XM, even when the XM has 21” wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 10:47 PM   #8
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Like everyone said, suspension feel is subjective. Based on your previous X6, I feel the XM in comfort mode is stiffer than an X6 in sport mode. I feel an X5M/X6M comp in sport mode rides a little better than an XM in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 11:55 PM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Suspension ride quality is subjective.
I never had major complaints with stock M suspensions. But some do, even some of my friend.
But, worst case scenario, MSS will gives you a better ride quality.
Won’t give you the sharp jolt from the rear suspension when you hit bumps or dips.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 06:15 PM   #10
AndreiPopescu
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XM Label View Post
Like everyone said, suspension feel is subjective. Based on your previous X6, I feel the XM in comfort mode is stiffer than an X6 in sport mode. I feel an X5M/X6M comp in sport mode rides a little better than an XM in sport mode.
Just picked up the XM today, I have to say its a lot more comfortable compared to my X6 on 19" and hybrid adaptive suspension. It's more comparable to my 530e
Appreciate 1
NoPII152.00
      04-22-2024, 04:14 PM   #11
Warrenber
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW XM Label

I’m on 23’s and it took a few days of getting used to it. I don’t even notice it now!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13020.50