F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Fuel pump recall rant
proTUNING Freaks

06-06-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
NewBimmerMD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi Msport

Fuel pump recall rant

So I get the letter from BMW/NHTSA saying my 2014 335xi M sport has been tagged as needing the fuel pump recall campaign stating that the fuel pump could fail resulting in the vehicle not starting ( read stranded ) and/or the engine may stall without ability to restart increasing risk of crash . So I book an appt to get the car serviced. So the SA asks what am I here for. I said I got a letter from BMW about the recall. He says what recall ? I state the fuel pump recall then proceed to show him the letter. He gets surly. He states "Oh we're not ready to perform that campaign. You need wait till you hear from BMW". I ask well since I'm here is there any way you can just replace the part now. I understand it only takes an hour. I get a flat surly "No". But the NHTSA says the pump could fail at anytime. SA states "The NHTSA has their own agenda. Wait till you hear from BMW". I leave frustrated and angry. So I guess I as well as many others are all sitting on ticking time bombs that could fail at anytime. Not particularly confidence inspiring. So I reread the letter in depth and it does state BMW is not ready to perform the recall and I should wait for a letter. Dohhhh ! I jumped the gun. But still is this anyway to conduct a recall on a part that could fail and cripple your car potentially resulting in stranding you or even worse a crash or injury ??? We've known about this recall on these forums since late April !!! Come on BMW we expect better than this.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

They can't have everyone running it at one time to do this. It has to be done in stages. And BMW (typically) doesn't start anything like this until all parts are in and accounted for. NHTSA has nothing to do with how BMW handles their campaigns, like you SA said, they have their own agenda.

You are not in a ticking time bomb. This is mainly a startup issue and not very widespread at that. I understand wanting it fixed....my car is in this too. But it will be ok.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #3
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3

I've had actual Service Bulletin info regarding a rattle fix. Mine is intermittent and they refused to do the simple fix because on the parking lot test drive the tech didn't hear the rattle.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Yes, the NHTSA's agenda is "safety". Sounds like you got the letter already, so you have been "informed" of it. Bring a notepad next time, get the guy's full name, make sure you document exactly what he says, read back his answer to confirm that's what he is saying (no, we won't replace the recalled part). Tell him documentation will be saved for legal action that may be necessary in the case of a failure of the recalled part. Maybe tell his manager this too. When you get home, type up a record of the conversation and sign it. If you really want to put them in the hot seat, send them a letter certified/registered mail which summarizes the situation, ask for the part to be fixed, ask them to respond to the letter in 10 days.

With that kind of documentation, only a fool (business) would turn down the request.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBimmerMD View Post
So I reread the letter in depth and it does state BMW is not ready to perform the recall and I should wait for a letter. Dohhhh ! I jumped the gun.

You should be angry that you weren't treated better. At least they should have explained that that they don't have the parts in to do the repair. When you asked, all they said was a surly NO with zero explanation?

Good luck. Hopefully you get your letter asking you to come in soon and that you don't have a failure in the meantime.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
Ntown M2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

It helps if you read and follow the instructions in the initial notice that you received from BMW
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Yes, the NHTSA's agenda is "safety". Sounds like you got the letter already, so you have been "informed" of it. Bring a notepad next time, get the guy's full name, make sure you document exactly what he says, read back his answer to confirm that's what he is saying (no, we won't replace the recalled part). Tell him documentation will be saved for legal action that may be necessary in the case of a failure of the recalled part. Maybe tell his manager this too. When you get home, type up a record of the conversation and sign it. If you really want to put them in the hot seat, send them a letter certified/registered mail which summarizes the situation, ask for the part to be fixed, ask them to respond to the letter in 10 days.

With that kind of documentation, only a fool (business) would turn down the request.
LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #8
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N'townM235 View Post
It helps if you read and follow the instructions in the initial notice that you received from BMW
+1,000

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0