BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Aftermarket X7 Specific 676 Hifi Upgrade

01-15-2022, 05:09 PM   #1
Lando X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Aftermarket X7 Specific 676 Hifi Upgrade

I've seen some comparisons done for other models, however not seeing anything specific to x7s (apologies if there is another thread already and just not seeing it).

Has anyone out here actually heard and/or have an opinion on upgrading the stock Hifi (676A) to Bimmertech's Alpha One amp/speakers (or another similar non-OEM upgrade) and where this lands quality wise vs. OEM options which are basically non-existent this year?

What I'm really hoping someone can provide is a baseline opinion as to where this aftermarket system would fall if built on the 10 speaker Hifi setup (eg. equal to / better than the 688HK even with less speakers, however not as good as B&W, etc.).

Thanks in advance for the perspectives.

Last edited by Lando X; 01-15-2022 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 06:17 PM   #2
nadylime
Rep

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ght=Bimmertech
Appreciate 1
Lando X38.50
      01-18-2022, 07:13 PM   #3
Lando X
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadylime View Post
Thanks for sharing. Specifically, I'm hoping to find a head to head comparison of upgrading the 676 hifi up to alpha ones vs. the oem 688 option.

Put differently, does the 676 hifi upgraded to full alpha one system actually sound better than a straight oem 688 hk system without any upgrades? Realize no one may actually have a data point on this particular head to head comparison but very interested if someone does.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 07:24 PM   #4
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadylime View Post
Thanks for sharing. Specifically, I'm hoping to find a head to head comparison of upgrading the 676 hifi up to alpha ones vs. the oem 688 option.

Put differently, does the 676 hifi upgraded to full alpha one system actually sound better than a straight oem 688 hk system without any upgrades? Realize no one may actually have a data point on this particular head to head comparison but very interested if someone does.
"Sound better" is very subjective and tough to quantify.

What you really need is someone who tested them head to head with good analytical equipment and then created a waterfall graph to show the differences.

Since that likely doesn't exist you've got to trust that it absolutely must be an improvement over the shockingly abysmal sound quality of the OEM system.
      01-19-2022, 08:17 AM   #5
Lando X
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pină View Post
"Sound better" is very subjective and tough to quantify.

What you really need is someone who tested them head to head with good analytical equipment and then created a waterfall graph to show the differences.

Since that likely doesn't exist you've got to trust that it absolutely must be an improvement over the shockingly abysmal sound quality of the OEM system.
You're right in that what I'm seeking here is probably a unicorn.

I've heard the OEM Hifi and I'm sure the full upgrade will significantly improve the quality, just hoping it gets me in the ballpark of the oem HK even with fewer speakers. Totally hear you on sounding better being subjective and if I strictly look at specs, I'm cautiously optimistic that the hifi amp/speaker upgrade could theoretically sound better or at least put it in line with the oem hk.

Last edited by Lando X; 01-19-2022 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 08:45 AM   #6
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Not sure if you're buying or leasing, but if I was keeping the vehicle I'd be more inclined to go to a very reputable car audio shop and have them custom install a bespoke system using Focal's.

They make speakers that should fit all the factory locations as shown here:

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/Al...38;clearsloc=y

Replacing the amplifies may be a bit trickier but I know there's people on the forums that have done so. You might have better luck looking in the Gxx 5-Series, X5, and X3 forums since there are many more of those on the road.

Best of luck though! Please report back once you get it all figured out. 🤜🤛
      03-30-2022, 11:14 AM   #7
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 40i

Quote:
I've seen some comparisons done for other models, however not seeing anything specific to x7s (apologies if there is another thread already and just not seeing it).

Has anyone out here actually heard and/or have an opinion on upgrading the stock Hifi (676A) to Bimmertech's Alpha One amp/speakers (or another similar non-OEM upgrade) and where this lands quality wise vs. OEM options which are basically non-existent this year?

What I'm really hoping someone can provide is a baseline opinion as to where this aftermarket system would fall if built on the 10 speaker Hifi setup (eg. equal to / better than the 688HK even with less speakers, however not as good as B&W, etc.).

Did you ever get this done?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 10:18 AM   #8
Lando X
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDDD0919 View Post
Quote:

Did you ever get this done?
Not yet but am still hoping to. Based on what I saw and some subsequent conversations since this post, there is additional paneling that needs to come out to get it into the back left trunk. Also, my new understanding is the old amp stays in place and the new one gets placed around the same location with a simple wire swap. As of this time, no dedicated bracket has been made yet to accommodate so securing it requires some kind of make shift effort like zip ties.

Going to be visiting a well known local installer in comings weeks to get his take. I have concluded not attempting by myself unless new information comes to light between now and then.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 10:25 AM   #9
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not yet but am still hoping to. Based on what I saw and some subsequent conversations since this post, there is additional paneling that needs to come out to get it into the back left trunk. Also, my new understanding is the old amp stays in place and the new one gets placed around the same location with a simple wire swap. As of this time, no dedicated bracket has been made yet to accommodate so securing it requires some kind of make shift effort like zip ties.

Going to be visiting a well known local installer in comings weeks to get his take. I have concluded not attempting by myself unless new information comes to light between now and then.
Thank you for the reply. I saw someone doing the speakers alone first. Would be really curious to see the result of your conversation.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 10:39 AM   #10
cmicali
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for the reply. I saw someone doing the speakers alone first. Would be really curious to see the result of your conversation.
Yes please post the results of what you learn… many of us are in the same boat! I haven't found a reputable place near me that had either done this in an x7 before or that i trust enough to learn how on mine…
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 01:20 PM   #11
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Alpha One is typically an "upgrade" vs. base radio and HK. Doubt it's any better than B&W
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 02:15 PM   #12
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Alpha One is typically an "upgrade" vs. base radio and HK. Doubt it's any better than B&W
what about Bavsound and Focal?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 10:32 AM   #13
Lando X
Private First Class
Rep

Quick update.

I talked with a well known local installer and he has no concerns about doing the installation of the speakers or the amp. He indicated he was aware extra panels do need to come off in the trunk and it's definitely not as easy of an install in an X7. He also said he felt it was a considerable improvement versus the Hifi or the HK upgrade and was worth it if willing to drop the money (unfortunately, the cost of this stuff has gone up due to the semiconductor shortage).

I'll let everyone know how is goes! I pulled the trigger but unfortunately couldn't get on his schedule until early June.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2022, 11:09 AM   #14
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quick update.

I talked with a well known local installer and he has no concerns about doing the installation of the speakers or the amp. He indicated he was aware extra panels do need to come off in the trunk and it's definitely not as easy of an install in an X7. He also said he felt it was a considerable improvement versus the Hifi or the HK upgrade and was worth it if willing to drop the money (unfortunately, the cost of this stuff has gone up due to the semiconductor shortage).

I'll let everyone know how is goes! I pulled the trigger but unfortunately couldn't get on his schedule until early June.
How much does it cost you?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 11:54 AM   #15
Lando X
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quick update.

Quote:
Quote:
Quick update.

Six months ago I could have gotten it for about 2k plus install, unfortunately now it's ~2.6k plus install. Was a bit shocked it had gone up around 500 bucks from just a few months back.

It's definitely more money than what the HK would have cost as an add-on (-650-850) if it had been available at the time so I'm going in with pretty high expectations. Have been able to pin down a lot of data points that the quality is something between hk and bw, even with the fewer number of speakers. My understanding is the amp that comes with the hk isn't anything to write home about.

Guess I'll know soon enough, crossing my fingers!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 12:00 PM   #16
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Six months ago I could have gotten it for about 2k plus install, unfortunately now it's ~2.6k plus install. Was a bit shocked it had gone up around 500 bucks from just a few months back.

It's definitely more money than what the HK would have cost as an add-on (-650-850) if it had been available at the time so I'm going in with pretty high expectations. Have been able to pin down a lot of data points that the quality is something between hk and bw, even with the fewer number of speakers. My understanding is the amp that comes with the hk isn't anything to write home about.

Hopefully everything works out for you! Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 01:41 PM   #17
davecraze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 & 2022 X5

Quote:

Hello, is this the Alpha, BAVsound or some other aftermarket? If other, which brand/model?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 02:46 PM   #18
Lando X
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecraze View Post
Quote:

Hello, is this the Alpha, BAVsound or some other aftermarket? If other, which brand/model?
Quote:
Quote:

Alpha one full set, amp and speakers. I went that route because from what I can tell it's totally plug and play. Bavsound may be worth considering as well but when I was doing research it just seemed like going the alpha route was easiest. I strugggled to get straight answers on the bavsound setup from more than one place
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 04:51 PM   #19
twinrink
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i xdrive

Any coupons for the bimmertech upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 05:18 PM   #20
Lando X
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrink View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrink View Post
I couldn't find one personally, but open to one if anyone had any leads
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 06:43 PM   #21
davecraze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 & 2022 X5

Lando X - Have you received any quotes on the installation cost? Sorry if I missed it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 12:39 PM   #22
Lando X
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Lando X - Have you received any quotes on the installation cost? Sorry if I missed it.
Quote:
The guy I'm using indicated back in December it would run in the 400-600 range, however that may have changed. My gut feel based on the bimmertech price increase, the whole system including install in most cities is probably going to run 3-3.5k for time and material (would be less if only doing just amp or speakers). Amp alone including install, just guessing, is probably about 1600.
Appreciate 0